Your face is funny!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
  • Twitter:@Tanith_
  • Server:Windfola/Gate of Madness
  • Kinship:Guardians of the Vault

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:12

(If you want to make yourself useful, transcribe that video so deaf people can enjoy it as well.)

Okay.

"Hey there, everyone. My name's Seraphina Brennan; you might know me better as "Celestrata" from the LOTRO forums.

This week, for LOTRO updates, we're going to be talking about the warband system. Now, warbands are a brand new type of AI that's coming with Riders of Rohan. These types of AI are roving bands of elites that will traverse across the plains of Rohan and cause trouble for you and your groupmates. You might want to learn about these types of AI because they feature varied things such as the archer, shaman, and jouster types. And a couple more, too..."

(longish pause)

"Or, if that's not your fancy, don't forget about our brand-new summer fun events. That's going to be taking place all of next week."

(short pause)

"If you visit any player-run event across any of our servers, you can win cool things like 500 TP's or a brand-new perlino steed that works on all of your characters across all servers. If you want to learn more about this cool event and all its opportunities, make sure to visit the link right here below me. Otherwise, I'll see you guys next week, and take it easy."

A few things I noted while watching this.

• Celestrata looks about as comfortable doing this as Sapience looked last week with his Aaron Campbell interview. But at least she didn't have to sit with her head twisted at a weird angle that would make my chiropractor jump for joy.
  • This "warband" system actually sounds interesting.
  • This steed works across all servers? If my Windfola hunter wins one, my Landroval burglar can use it? Have I got that right?
  • Link? What link?

Anyone care to speculate why the CM's are suddenly being trotted out to do promotional videos?

;)
“When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”
Lois McMaster Bujold, Memory

#22 Trinsec

Trinsec

Junior Spammer

• Moderators
  • 490 posts
  • Twitter:@Trinsec
  • Server:Laurelin
  • Kinship:Fellowship of the Thing

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:28

Thanks a lot, Tanith. :)

About the steed, I've participated in the 'Galloping Gala' event. A few Hobbit kins on Laurelin organised a few player run events where you could win a Perlino steed or TP, codes provided for by Turbine (because they want to encourage more events like this).

The winner of one of those events would get Tell'd the code by one of the organisators, then they can apply the code in the store somewhere or in your account page. And yes, that code is for the whole account. So if you won a Perlino steed, and applied the code to your account, all your characters would have access to it.

The link is on Youtube. It leads to a list of player run events: http://www.lotro.com/summerfun2012

Asura Assurance Assures that Asura are Absolutely Awesome

Cheeri (¯`v´¯)

`·.¸.·´.

#23 MueR

MueR

Also known as Rhyaehar

• Administrators
  • 643 posts
  • Twitter:@Rhyaehar
  • Kinship:Nimminas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:38

Modbreak: The other thread about this video has been deleted. It's a duplicate and the hostility in that thread was just way off the charts. Keep it civil, please.

No matter what difference of opinions you have with the Turbine moderating staff, I will not allow you to bash on Celestrata's personal choices such as undergoing that kind of operation. She obviously felt incredibly unhappy and this helped her greatly in becoming happy. It is so far below the belt that I can only hope you will apologize to her. I couldn't give a damn if someone is a transgender, gay, straight, ginger, black, chinese or what have you. No ad hominems, whatsoever. There is absolutely no reason for the appalling behavior demonstrated by some. Shame on you. If any of you so much as put one toenail over that line again, you will no longer be welcome on this forum and I will personally see to it that Turbine is also notified.

Celestrata: If you have read the other topic, please accept my sincere apologies for what some have said. I am simply at a loss for words. Even though I consider myself a fair speaker and writer in English, I cannot describe accurately how much this infuriates me.

I wield the Banhammer.
Fear me, but only if you feel you deserve a ban.

#24 Maelendil

Maelendil

Advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:50

My post is now lost, but there was something about the extension there: Every extension has been worse than the previous one (at least in my opinion), and RoR looks like it is going to set a new standard for "disappointing". Big empty plains you can cross in five minutes aren't going to keep us occupied for months, even with a couple of dailies.

I hope for positive beta feedback, but the longer they keep the beta under NDA, the more anxious I get.

#25 Tanith

Tanith

Your face is funny!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:51

My pleasure. It was only a minute long, easy to transcribe. But I couldn't see the link for some reason; now I can.

I think Turbine should absolutely encourage player-run events, btw. I've been to one Weatherstock and a few A&T and found them to be most enjoyable, a nice break from the grind.

:)
“When you choose an action, you choose the consequences of that action. When you desire a consequence you had damned well better take the action that would create it.”

#26 MarkJ

MarkJ

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Server:Arkenstone
  • Kinship:Noldor

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:25

I'm not sure why we give a frak about this. Celestrata's gender means about as much to me as my mail-person's, which is to say nothing at all.

His gender hasn't changed he's still a he and while it might not bother anyone here but it bothers me. I don't want to know what you're doing to yourself personally and I don't need to see your face. Give me the information I need about LOTRO and keep that personal crap to yourself and quit shoving it in my face.

#27 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:42

[modbreak]No ad hominems, whatsoever.[/modbreak]

I'm assuming this is going to cover all forms of insulting, not just those that happen to involve gender changing? Fat, old, stupid, incomptent, lazy, etc insults are all banned from now on? Wouldn't want to see some sort of favouritism going on where some things can be poked fun at and other things can't for some arbitrary reason.
Unlisted Forum Rules:
- No derailing (unless you are a mod)
- No calling out a mod's abuse of power
- No posting US politics unless in a thread specifically for it (unless you are a mod)
- No posting images/videos without then typing out exactly what that image/video already explains
- No disobedience to any rule a mod makes up on a whim, or you will receive a warning

#28 Podraig

Podraig

Advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Server:Snowbourn
  • Kinship:Rising dawn

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:46

Really don't understand them using CM's to advertise features to the players in video clips, maybe the advertising budget was blown when they hired the Crocodile Dundee Rohirrum!

Not saying she did a bad job, was better than Sap, but she clearly looked uncomfortable and needs to learn to breath when speaking, at times I thought she was going to pass out from lack of oxegen.

But the transgender bashing is not needed, Bashing Sapience ( After his Video last week am gonna call him The Fat Controller) because we feel he's out of control with his moderation is all well and good and deserved ofc.

#29 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:54

But the transgender bashing is not needed, Bashing Sapience ( After his Video last week am gonna call him The Fat Controller) because we feel he's out of control with his moderation is all well and good and deserved ofc.

Oi, no fat insults. If we're going to censor gender digs, we've got to censor the lot. To me, both are as bad as each other with their moderating lately, so either both get their share of insults or, as Muer as said, neither of them do. I'm an equal opportunities kind of guy :P
Unlisted Forum Rules:
- No posting US politics unless in a thread specifically for it (unless you are a mod)
- No posting images/videos without then typing out exactly what that image/video already explains
- No disobedience to any rule a mod makes up on a whim, or you will receive a warning

#30 Podraig

Podraig

Advanced member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Kinship:Rising dawn

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:15

Oi, no fat insults. If we're going to censor gender digs, we've got to censor the lot. To me, both are as bad as each other with their moderating lately, so either both get their share of insults or, as Muer as said, neither of them do. I'm an equal opportunities kind of guy :P

ahh Doro, there's always room for Thomas and friends..

Posted Image

#31 Silverangel

Silverangel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Server:Landroval
  • Kinship:Blackheart Pirates

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:32

[modbreak]The other thread about this video has been deleted. It's a duplicate and the hostility in that thread was just way off the charts. Keep it civil, please.

I didn't get to read that, but that's sad. I thought the crowd here was at least intelligent and educated if not entirely civilized. I'm just surprised at the amount of people who didn't already know about Celestrata and who she was--Seraphina Brennan from Massively.

Anyway, I loved the video! I commented in the thread about the Sapience video that I liked how the Turbine people were real and down-to-earth compared to the snake-oil spokespeople from other MMO companies, and this kicks it up another notch. Nice job! Now let's be one big happy family and get back to blaming everything on WB. d;)b

#32 Tanith

Tanith

Your face is funny!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:00

The other thread was vile, I'm glad MueR put his foot down and zapped it.

And honestly, I did not know about this, nor does it matter. It took absolute courage for Seraphina to sit down and make that video, knowing it would scrutinized and commented upon by the more classless sorts. For that alone she's got my respect.

:)

#33 The MMO Troll

The MMO Troll

Podcaster and Blogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts
  • Twitter:@RoleplayDomain
  • Server:Faeblight, Arcadia, Ehmry Bay
  • Kinship:Troll

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:40

Why are the CM's doing these videos, you ask? Normally the Producers do videos, occasionally dragging a Dev into them here or there, but now they have tasked the Community Management team with at least routine video duties... and honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't done before this.

CMs are tasked with interfacing with the LOTRO community, so it only stands to reason that they would do so in various mediums, and not just in print/text, such as on the Lorebook and Forums. In fact, CMs have appeared quite often on various LOTRO podcasts, so why not in a video? It allows the Producers (who historically have been stuck doing these, and thus we rarely got videos) to do other things, and expands the reach of the CMs. Now they are making contact with players who never go to the forums, don't read the Lorebook, don't listen to podcasts, but do enjoy Youtube. And if they like what they see, it might bring them to the Forums, expanding the community there.

In short, this is an excellent idea on Turbine's part.

Founder of the "Roleplay Domain" gaming community and Podcast

Proprietor of "The MMO Troll" gaming parody blog

Host of "Massive Failure", an MMORPG podcast

Currently playing: Rift, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2

Look for "Scormus" on Faeblight, Arcadia or Ehmry Bay

#34 Jedy2

Jedy2

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:35

I didn't get to read that, but that's sad.

Same here.

I thought the crowd here was at least intelligent and educated if not entirely civilized.

Obviously not.

I do however hope, that a proper amount of Elf-bashing is allowed here, otherwise I’d feel out of place.

About Turbine promotional videos – I dislike them intensely.

While it’s cool to be a Fat Beardy Dwarf, I would not allow this Sapience guy to water my plants, never mind manage my community.

Szce ne wmerła Ukraina!

#35 LordVorontur

LordVorontur

Banned

• Members
  • 4,444 posts
  • Kinship:Elves of Imladris

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:56

Hey Muer. Only a Ginger can call another Ginger a Ginger ;)

Hir i Meigol Bruinen
High Council Member of the EoI

Of the Exiles of the Hidden City

Meigol Bruinen, Uncle Seregnin's Misguided Children

Curse the name of Maeglin, the Treacherous Villain, forever, may he rot in the Halls of Mandos for all time...

http://www.swtor.com/r/XWNQXP

#36 MueR

MueR

Also known as Rhyaehar

• Administrators
  • 643 posts
  • Twitter:@Rhyaehar
  • Kinship:Nimminas

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:42

I'm assuming this is going to cover all forms of insulting, not just those that happen to involve gender changing? Fat, old, stupid, incomptent, lazy, etc insults are all banned from now on? Wouldn't want to see some sort of favouritism going on where some things can be poked fun at and other things can't for some arbitrary reason.

Oh come on Doro, you know what I mean. It depends on context. If a light-hearted comment is made with no intention of hurting or insulting someone, that's perfectly fine. If you're trying to hurt someone's feelings, you're crossing a line. The other thread was in no way light hearted.

I wield the Banhammer.
Fear me, but only if you feel you deserve a ban.

#37 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:40

Oh come on Doro, you know what I mean. It depends on context. If a light-hearted comment is made with no intention of hurting or insulting someone, that's perfectly fine. If you're trying to hurt someone's feelings, you're crossing a line. The other thread was in no way light hearted.

I'm just a little concerned that we can attack Sapience with various insults and it be seen as light-hearted but if we insult Celestrata, it's the threat of a ban. I can understand if people start really digging into someone, even Sap doesn't deserve that really, but if we really think about most of our criticisims contain some sort of insult towards Turbine staff. I'd thought you could mock Celestrata's amazing ability to both refuse to ask for directions when lost AND walk in high heels just as much as you could mock Sapience's incompetence or weight.
Unlisted Forum Rules:

#38 LordVorontur

LordVorontur

Banned

• Members
  • 4,444 posts
  • Kinship:Elves of Imladris

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:01

I'm just a little concerned that we can attack Sapience with various insults and it be seen as light-hearted but if we insult Celestrata, it's the threat of a ban. I can understand if people start really digging into someone, even Sap doesn't deserve that really, but if we really think about most of our criticisims contain some sort of insult towards Turbine staff. I'd thought you could mock Celestrata's amazing ability to both refuse to ask for directions when lost AND walk in high heels just as much as you could mock Sapience's incompetence or weight.

That's not what you were doing ;)
Besides, everyone knows men never get lost, we just take the scenic route!
Mock incompetence, fine, weight, not so much. Who knows, he might have a glandular problem?

Hir i Meigol Bruinen
High Council Member of the EoI

Of the Exiles of the Hidden City

Meigol Bruinen, Uncle Seregnin's Misguided Children

Curse the name of Maeglin, the Treacherous Villain, forever, may he rot in the Halls of Mandos for all time...

http://www.swtor.com/r/XWNQXP

#39 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • 5,437 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:14

That's not what you were doing ;)
Besides, everyone knows men never get lost, we just take the scenic route!
Mock incompetence, fine, weight, not so much. Who knows, he might have a glandular problem?

From what I remember, all I was doing was referring to him as a he and compared him to an extreme Eddie Izzard (Izzard has both girl and boy modes but Celes has just girl mode it seems).

As for glandular problem, seems everyone has that now. I'm surprised people just don't say 'it's not my fault, my DNA just didn't give me a fast metabolism!'.
Unlisted Forum Rules:

#40 Trinsec

Trinsec

Junior Spammer

• Moderators
  • 490 posts
  • Twitter:@Trinsec
  • Kinship:Fellowship of the Thing

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:19

Aaaaaaaand can we now get ontopic again?

Asura Assurance Assures that Asura are Absolutely Awesome

Cheeri (¯`v´¯)

`·.¸.·´.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Website sponsored by Omines Full Service Internet Bureau