• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Draugmoth

Draugmoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:20

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I have a character on Arkenstone, and I hadn't played for about six months until just recently. When I logged on I noticed that there was hardly anyone around. I'm having trouble progressing through some parts of the game because I can never find anyone to form a fellowship with, and it constantly feels dead.

Is Arkenstone a particularly unpopulated server, or is this a general issue with the game lately? Is there another server you would recommend I switch to that has a higher population?

#2 Laurinaohtar

Laurinaohtar

Forum Furniture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Server:Snowbourn
  • Kinship:Council Of The West

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:26

Darmokk will have some login stats somewhere here, check he's posts.

When I do log in occasionally snowbourn still seems quite busy

This is a serious discussion

Runesi

#3 cossieuk

cossieuk

Font of Wisdom, 2011

• Members
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:40

Here is a chart of the weekly logins for the US servers

Posted Image

#4 Draugmoth

Draugmoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:43

jeez, well I guess I did join the wrong server, didn't I?
edit: wait never mind I was looking at bullroarer.

#5 LordVorontur

LordVorontur

Banned

• Members
  • 3,885 posts
  • Kinship:Elves of Imladris

Posted 22 September 2012 - 00:24

Bullroarer, of course, being low due to it being limited to those with access to it ;)

Hir i Meigol Bruinen
High Council Member of the EoI

Of the Exiles of the Hidden City

Meigol Bruinen, Uncle Seregnin's Misguided Children

Curse the name of Maeglin, the Treacherous Villain, forever, may he rot in the Halls of Mandos for all time...

http://www.swtor.com/r/XWNQXP

#6 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts
  • Server:Landroval
  • Kinship:Gathering of Grognards

Posted 22 September 2012 - 00:28

Arkenstone used to be a cool mid-size server but it dropped very rapidly. I never spotted the reason.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 VoodooJack

VoodooJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:15

Arkenstone used to be a cool mid-size server but it dropped very rapidly. I never spotted the reason.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats a drop of 77% from its peak of roughly 26 to 6. I have no idea where these 40,000 new F2P accounts that are created weekly according to Sapience are going but they are definitely not going to Arkenstone.

There is also a drop 39% across all servers from my estimate high of 275 (RoI/U4) to 170 currently at the moment. Activity is currently only up 36% from its lowest recorded point. Definitely a trend to watch in the future.

#8 The MMO Troll

The MMO Troll

Podcaster and Blogger

• Members
  • 2,940 posts
  • Twitter:@RoleplayDomain
  • Server:Faeblight, Arcadia, Ehmry Bay
  • Kinship:Troll

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:17

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry, my bad... I used to play on Arkenstone, but don't log in that much anymore.

Founder of the "Roleplay Domain" gaming community and Podcast

Proprietor of "The MMO Troll" gaming parody blog

Host of "Massive Failure", an MMORPG podcast

Currently playing: Rift, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2

Look for "Scormus" on Faeblight, Arcadia or Ehmry Bay

#9 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:51

The peak on Arkenstone is from when it was the preferred server for new characters/new users. Nothing special about that, most smaller servers look like that.

#10 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:55

Here is a chart of the weekly logins for the US servers

Posted Image

Am I being retarded or is that graph difficult to read? I can't work out why all those peaks are spread out... is that just due to preferred server status?
Unlisted Forum Rules:
- No derailing (unless you are a mod)
- No calling out a mod's abuse of power
- No posting US politics unless in a thread specifically for it (unless you are a mod)
- No posting images/videos without then typing out exactly what that image/video already explains
- No disobedience to any rule a mod makes up on a whim, or you will receive a warning

#11 Trinsec

Trinsec

Junior Spammer

• Moderators
  • 490 posts
  • Twitter:@Trinsec
  • Server:Laurelin
  • Kinship:Fellowship of the Thing

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:58

Yes, looks like preferred server status. I find that those peaks are quite telling. Why would they be 'peaks' and not have a sustained higher population after their status? People log in, look around, and never come back or something?

Asura Assurance Assures that Asura are Absolutely Awesome

Cheeri (¯`v´¯)

`·.¸.·´.

#12 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,830 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:04

Yes, looks like preferred server status. I find that those peaks are quite telling. Why would they be 'peaks' and not have a sustained higher population after their status? People log in, look around, and never come back or something?

Seems like it, yeah. Sapience is right, there are loads of new accounts made every day... they just don't last more than 2 or 3 months before quitting, resulting in the server falling back to the original level that the more dedicated players hold it at. Funny, really, that the majority of a server's population is made up of thousands of people who won't even make it half a year.
Unlisted Forum Rules:
- No derailing (unless you are a mod)
- No calling out a mod's abuse of power
- No posting US politics unless in a thread specifically for it (unless you are a mod)
- No posting images/videos without then typing out exactly what that image/video already explains
- No disobedience to any rule a mod makes up on a whim, or you will receive a warning

#13 Trinsec

Trinsec

Junior Spammer

• Moderators
  • 490 posts
  • Twitter:@Trinsec
  • Server:Laurelin
  • Kinship:Fellowship of the Thing

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:06

I find it sad, actually. I'm not so sure anymore F2P turns out too well for LotRO population-wise. It is a kind of game that requires long-time investment and a great community that sticks together. Hard to do that when the population is dwindling slowly but steadily.

Asura Assurance Assures that Asura are Absolutely Awesome

Cheeri (¯`v´¯)

`·.¸.·´.

#14 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:47

Well the peaks are 2-3 months wide. I don't think this represents customers staying for 2-3 months and then losing interest.

You can clearly see how the "preferred server" gets switched around by Turbine, so the peaks are probably representing many new users each staying much less than 2-3 months.

The interesting data is how steep or flat the downward slope is after "default server" has been switched to a new one. You can clearly see how fast or slow extra from default servering are leaving. It then drops to the original state. However, that doesn't mean all the new members left. If you look at the graph for all servers you can see that usage of LOTRO as a whole is declining drastically, so existing users are leaving. A server that ends up with the same number of users after the 5 months or so of peak from defaulting it is clearly better off than the rest, new users did stay.

Overall there is a real problem here. As summer goes out a MMO should gain traction starting from the second half of September. But that doesn't seem to happen for LOTRO anymore, although it did happen in 2011.

#15 Brrokk

Brrokk

Junior Forum Furniture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Kinship:Room For Improvement

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:57

Well, if they could get around to, er, advertising - that could help. I don't think I've seen LOTRO advertised anywhere for months!

#16 The MMO Troll

The MMO Troll

Podcaster and Blogger

• Members
  • 2,940 posts
  • Twitter:@RoleplayDomain
  • Server:Faeblight, Arcadia, Ehmry Bay
  • Kinship:Troll

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:15

Well, if they could get around to, er, advertising - that could help. I don't think I've seen LOTRO advertised anywhere for months!

They are back to just doing banner ads on gaming websites, and that's about it. I see LOTRO ads on my website every time I write an article about LOTRO, as well as on other LOTRO-related sites, but that's about it.

Founder of the "Roleplay Domain" gaming community and Podcast

Proprietor of "The MMO Troll" gaming parody blog

Host of "Massive Failure", an MMORPG podcast

Currently playing: Rift, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2

Look for "Scormus" on Faeblight, Arcadia or Ehmry Bay

#17 MarkJ

MarkJ

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Server:Arkenstone
  • Kinship:Noldor

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:57

The Churn rate for players coming in, using the Store to get started and then leaving and being replaced by new players doing the same thing is what's keeping LOTRO alive anymore. Many of the long term raiders I played with on Arkenstone have long since left for SWTOR, GW2 and others.

LOTRO was always about the journey and that was the tie that build the close knit community, the Store and F2P model have removed that appeal and replaced it with a fast 'try it and leave' type of player. Some of the F2P players stay but that number is much smaller than the longer term players who have decided to leave.

Bottom line, I can't see how this model is going to be sustainable for the LoTR IP. Immersion in Tolkien's world was captured when LOTRO was launched but has been replaced with the F2P Asian grind-fest type of MMO.

I give it another 2 years before it looks just like DDO....

#18 Ardraug

Ardraug

Junior Forum Furniture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts
  • Server:Vilya
  • Kinship:Southern Cross

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:25

2 years? I've played enough chinese-korean p2w grind games to know that it's nearly there. ONE dude already asked for 1st age symbols to be on store... we all know where that's going. Fuck, even the "exp off" toggle got monetized.

(Edit: scratch that, it's as bad as c-k pwg grind game... has a bit less in store but you gotta pay for the expansions)

#19 kitkat

kitkat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:02

I logged onto Gilrain today. Rode through every part of Bree and saw nothing but npc's. Left Bree, there were two other people out there and I suspect they were just riding through the area. If there are people around, they're probably all in the high level areas. It's probably reasonably safe to assume that a large proportion of those will be lifetimers, that doesn't indicate a hell of a lot of money coming in. Ok, it was a very small sample (!) but even so, it wasn't that long ago the place was bustling at all times of the day. A bit depressing really but pretty much lost interest when they raised the level cap...I couldn't face all that grinding again.

#20 frodofraggins

frodofraggins

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:18

Games in maintenance mode don't advertise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Website sponsored by Omines Full Service Internet Bureau