Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Velour Fog

PvP tips for a noob

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

New to the forums and new to LOTRO. I've been playing for about a month and a half now and I've got my LM to level 41 so I decided to have a break and play Creep side for abit.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some general PvP tips as well as some pointers for playing a reaver? I've got to rank 4 now, but I still get ganked all the time (usually by burgs). The problem I'm having is that I keep running into people who are really experienced and have great gear and everything. They literally run rings around me, and I'm lucky if I get them to 2/3 health before i die. I'm fumbling around with wasd moving around and trying to hit my abilities at the same time while they make a mockery of my clumsy efforts. I swear some of them must be using their abilities with mind impulses, not keybinds. 8)7

I know the basics: Keep them snared, dotted and debuffed... but not really any tactics to fight every class. I've had a look at some guides. It seems pretty overwhelming though. On my LM I have a staggering number of abilites already and to have a working knowledge of every class's capabilites seems impossible.

Anyways, enough of my QQ'ing...

I hope you guys can help me! :)

I actually havent ever played a reaver but the most important part of any pvp is the ability to move fluidly, and turn on a dime. If you move with w and hold down the right side of the mouse you will gain 360 degree maneuverability. But how do I press my skills if both my hands are occupied I hear you say, well you simply click down on the left hand side of the mouse and you got forward movement as well, you freely tap the keys. Try not to let your opponent in behind you at any time and dont be afraid to run through your opponent to get to turn around and hit them from behind, always remember to kite around in a circle while hitting hoping to hit their back. If your opponent is running rings around and you feel overwhelmed simply press back until your opponent is in front of you.

For more specific information on reaver I'd suggest pm'ing a couple of high rank reavers, I am sure they would be more than willing to help with the class.

You know about the stun/root pots etc?

I actually havent ever played a reaver but the most important part of any pvp is the ability to move fluidly, and turn on a dime. If you move with w and hold down the right side of the mouse you will gain 360 degree maneuverability. But how do I press my skills if both my hands are occupied I hear you say, well you simply click down on the left hand side of the mouse and you got forward movement as well, you freely tap the keys. Try not to let your opponent in behind you at any time and dont be afraid to run through your opponent to get to turn around and hit them from behind, always remember to kite around in a circle while hitting hoping to hit their back. If your opponent is running rings around and you feel overwhelmed simply press back until your opponent is in front of you.

For more specific information on reaver I'd suggest pm'ing a couple of high rank reavers, I am sure they would be more than willing to help with the class.

You know about the stun/root pots etc?

Thanks, the clicking thing helps quite abit. Almost beat a captain this evening. Then his friends arrived. :P

Yep, I've got stun pots, wound pots and poison pots (?). Didnt know about the root pots though. I'll be sure to pick up those next time.

Melee is always the hardest class to PvP with. I'm impressed that you started with a Reaver, most people start with Wargs, still a melee class, but at least you have stealth.

My advice would be to give all classes a try. My main was a Warg and when I hit rank 6 I thought I'd give Weaver a try, I never really went back, spider just fits my playstyle.

This is probably horribly out dated, but the basics are the same.

http://www.theblackappendage.com/monstermanual

Thats great! Soon you'll be eating most freeps for second breakfast. I think the most common factor for death of a new reaver is over extending yourself while charging so time the charges just right and you'll fly in and out tagging lots of folks or finishing them off. Also acquaint yourself with the rank symbols of freeps because be sure that they know exactly your rank. Why are rank symbols important? Well depending on the rank you'll be safely able to assume that a R0 to R3 freep/creep will have nearly r0 Audacity.

Here is a useful link explaining the importance of Audacity: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Audacity

Audacity has 13 ranks now the link is out of date since Riders of Rohan, the first 7 ranks cost 500 commendations each so try and acquire those as fast as possible because then you'll be even tougher and you'll start earning even more commendations.

Here is a link to the rank symbols: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Rank

Just remember the colour of the background of the symbols then you'll know roughly the level of audacity. Try to target lower ranked freeps as they will be easier kills = easier comms. I know it sucks but its what players on the opposing side will be doing too.

Also make sure to complete quests in each keep as you receive bonus commendations for completion of 10/25/50 quest in each keep/zone which will really help you audacity ranks, skills, corruptions and racials. If I recall correctly the mayor of Hoarhollow, First Marshall An and Capture an Outpost all give 80 commendations although I could be wrong as I havent quested much since Rohan. That would be 240 commendations from quests before even PvP'ing

Hope that helps and remember to shave the hobbit toes before stewing them. *picks at tooth*

Melee is always the hardest class to PvP with. I'm impressed that you started with a Reaver, most people start with Wargs, still a melee class, but at least you have stealth.

My advice would be to give all classes a try. My main was a Warg and when I hit rank 6 I thought I'd give Weaver a try, I never really went back, spider just fits my playstyle.

This is probably horribly out dated, but the basics are the same.

http://www.theblacka...m/monstermanual

Thanks for the link, that's really helpful! Yeah, I started playing as a reaver and messed about with the other classes too, but I'd got further with it than the others so I just carried on.

Thats great! Soon you'll be eating most freeps for second breakfast. I think the most common factor for death of a new reaver is over extending yourself while charging so time the charges just right and you'll fly in and out tagging lots of folks or finishing them off. Also acquaint yourself with the rank symbols of freeps because be sure that they know exactly your rank. Why are rank symbols important? Well depending on the rank you'll be safely able to assume that a R0 to R3 freep/creep will have nearly r0 Audacity.

Here is a useful link explaining the importance of Audacity: http://lotro-wiki.co...ex.php/Audacity

Audacity has 13 ranks now the link is out of date since Riders of Rohan, the first 7 ranks cost 500 commendations each so try and acquire those as fast as possible because then you'll be even tougher and you'll start earning even more commendations.

Here is a link to the rank symbols: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Rank

Just remember the colour of the background of the symbols then you'll know roughly the level of audacity. Try to target lower ranked freeps as they will be easier kills = easier comms. I know it sucks but its what players on the opposing side will be doing too.

Also make sure to complete quests in each keep as you receive bonus commendations for completion of 10/25/50 quest in each keep/zone which will really help you audacity ranks, skills, corruptions and racials. If I recall correctly the mayor of Hoarhollow, First Marshall An and Capture an Outpost all give 80 commendations although I could be wrong as I havent quested much since Rohan. That would be 240 commendations from quests before even PvP'ing

Hope that helps and remember to shave the hobbit toes before stewing them. *picks at tooth*

Thanks! Yeah, I've been buying those audacity things as I've been going along. I've got 4 ranks in it, but I'll prioritise getting some more.

I didn't really have much idea about the opposing ranks other than the higher ones have fancier looking colours, so I'll go for the weakest of the herd. Like a wolf or something.

In groups it's quite an art charging in and out to deliver the killing blow. I even bumped into my kin leader last night and ran him through! That was pretty funny. Serves him right for being a minstrel. ;P