Dorf

Explore Middle-Earth (56k warning!)

Hello long time lurker here, who really likes exploring outside the playable area in Lotro™. I decided to make an account here because this thread would most likely get deleted in the official forums.

For me exploring is the only remotely fun content left in Lotro after six years, so i decided to share some screenshots from my adventures.

Explorers:

Dm0Djko.jpg

Red Dawn in Western Rohan:

3SJaI7Y.jpg

Beyond Gap of Rohan:

jWtng0b.jpg

KUzovS5.jpg

Qnaubx7.jpg

brvvhzz.jpg

gZ8sXk0.jpg

njnSuW5.jpg

400iRwP.jpg

tzH37RZ.jpg

UEUlzIH.jpg

yiXP58C.jpg

KFhSPHJ.jpg

KKqxowZ.jpg

X7FoVYR.jpg

wdg52l7.jpg

q2wnXDd.jpg

uO4ax0U.jpg

gsUhw6n.jpg

xKoCC7U.jpg

IXUp5EO.jpg

tHOIbjt.jpg

W3IuCJd.jpg

lt5cMWo.jpg

qs345Gu.jpg

74cOIDy.jpg

Beyond Dunbog:

lnz5OYa.jpg

j001EQ0.jpg

EOFgqwf.jpg

1Apmd2k.jpg

ACKAuie.jpg

Hyped Super Secret High Tech Sprites walking through solid objects:

f0DVlE9.jpg

3YsJxu0.jpg

I have alot of other screenshots of other areas too, some from South Downs, outside of Misty Mountains, Lost temple and more, though it is going to take a some time to sort all the screenshots out.

• Upvote 1

I love all these sorts of things. It would be great if they could just open up the entire world, without anything but landscape for exploration.

Welcome to the forums!

Since i started playing LOTRO in April 2007 i have been doing the same thing as you :) I visited majority of the off map places and you mentioned most of them.

I used to spend literally days to execute just one jump which would allow me to off the map. I have not been playing LOTRO much recently so did not have the time to go off map in Rohan like you did. Thanks for the ss, but especially thanks for not putting the "first jump" details with your ss. Now i know there are some places off map i have not visited and it is much more interesting than doing the actual content.

I just have one question: is it really explorable there or you just hit the usual invisible wall very close to the initial jump or close to the "border" of the map?

I'm asking because that is exactly what they have introduced in the old places you could visit (in Eriador for example). In Lone Lands they made it so bad that at some point when you enter the typical area of "unassigned:fix me", you are beeing teleported to Bree so imagine how frustraded you can be after trying to make the jump (the two jumps in LL now are in other places, though it may be possible to execute the old OG jump with a war steed maybe?).

Anyway, make sure your forum name here is different to your in game name or Sapience will get you banned for sure :P

On 29.7.2013 at 5:16 PM, Anglion said:

I just have one question: is it really explorable there or you just hit the usual invisible wall very close to the initial jump or close to the "border" of the map?

Hardly anything is explorable anymore, usually there are invisible walls or the zone changes to "Bree-Land Unexplored Territory" and this happens:

vJNpgBA.png

Now here are some screenshots from South Downs.

South Downs West Side:

zOlhbMU.jpg

qz35kMz.jpg

np3PGcz.jpg

bpdBvGp.jpg

qjVJ3if.jpg

XOUbXWK.jpg

TZ31s1F.jpg

9VVTIcz.jpg

GxMDgLt.jpg

YZpailp.jpg

4ktMW01.jpg

FQ4OOKW.jpg

edI59JQ.jpg

TGSjOz0.jpg

BFwWzug.jpg

TuhcOSz.jpg

rzo3EhO.jpg

9PdQVJG.jpg

DHWzAKa.jpg

d4x2xIC.jpg

Phydtt9.jpg

mHoMJPX.jpg

7OrnRGG.jpg

bGDfVzL.jpg

jHIAQkc.jpg

ZEFm9yk.jpg

gS6SV6E.jpg

South Downs East Side:

DZrIcHH.jpg

w8s39Uk.jpg

1Tk9RWI.jpg

GZDx29Y.jpg

mdFjQJj.jpg

ruA9AZ1.jpg

BOi9Vxh.jpg

CtCWEEW.jpg

B7P4IFl.jpg

67TImj4.jpg

W5JmQJi.jpg

MQaVIJc.jpg

hl1K9VE.jpg

LUWDVJL.jpg

dJZo1aM.jpg

EeUJ783.jpg

1KPUDTI.jpg

kHfWl7B.jpg

VGBjjfc.jpg

qtZS9hI.jpg

32mM7n8.jpg

eh27i3N.jpg

F1LI8Za.jpg

TSNAXOT.jpg

kOh3YyZ.jpg

0u4Lenz.jpg

5yOaLEx.jpg

9GNddaI.jpg

SRbbIcL.jpg

RtbmRVc.jpg

5YnWmrA.jpg

Wow, very nice! That campsite is awesome! It would be a really fun place to cook and have a huge rp party, hehe. I will have to take a buddy of mine and go find it B)

Careful. The reason Turbine states for not wanting people off-map is that "characters may literally fall off the map and end up unrecoverable" (speaks volumes of their backup tools and how well they can move stuff around in their own game, if that's the case).

True or not, that opens the way for so many underhanded bans and deletions.................. just sayin', make a scratch alt if you must.

Careful. The reason Turbine states for not wanting people off-map is that "characters may literally fall off the map and end up unrecoverable" (speaks volumes of their backup tools and how well they can move stuff around in their own game, if that's the case).

True or not, that opens the way for so many underhanded bans and deletions.................. just sayin', make a scratch alt if you must.

Hehe - thanks for the advice. I have a few "off map" adventures of my own under my hat with my buddy in question, and thus far we haven't had any issues, but I don't ever take my capped characters out for this since I wouldn't risk getting them lost forever.

On 30.7.2013 at 5:51 PM, Ardraug said:

Been there done that:

oclzyNM.jpg

dXbZVkW.jpg

HQ4u7G5.jpg

qNE8sLj.jpg

CuNY9CI.jpg

lb1TZoT.jpg

nTPW2PA.jpg

PJS5xvc.jpg

bgRCczZ.jpg

69oK4Vi.jpg

I travelled from Misty Mountains past Enedwaidth's south western invisible walls underground. After being afk for about 40mins Lotro was in login screen and when I logged in the character was back on solid ground in Misty Mountains.

It is possible to replicate this same issue in playable areas too with Warsteed:

When you are riding warsteed and it starts to rubberbending just start smashing your jump key, it will result in

A ) Death by misadventure

B ) falling through the ground to the abyss where you can meet Morgoth

I have finally reached the Gulf of Lhûn and the (non-existent) Grey Havens.

Location on map in-game map & Middle-Earth map:

zPTyfwb.jpg

G46uGUz.jpg

Gulf of Lhûn & supposed location of Grey Havens:

eNd7FX9.jpg

v5aLuVV.jpg

fc5q7nI.jpg

mSYq3ls.jpg

unBwNdT.jpg

BKpDndj.jpg

eFyNHb2.jpg

zGpqpvm.jpg

8CynZOS.jpg

Some Ered Luin shots:

GShnRhm.jpg

DKY5Q9d.jpg

6HF0CTy.jpg

rwNByxn.jpg

7VTiUhD.jpg

0rdwVoZ.jpg

QvqMdyD.jpg

I feel the warp overtaking... me it is a good pain:

HjKGLXd.jpg

zsi8S41.jpg

wZ75Vm9.jpg

Ci1ywZV.jpg

p3BVlPV.jpg

17E2VoY.jpg

O0VEoO6.jpg

That Gray Havens.... the landscape modelling looks like it WAS gonna be made at some point =(

Dorf, the screenshots from Trollshaws and Ered Luin...did you do that recently or long time ago?

Dorf, the screenshots from Trollshaws and Ered Luin...did you do that recently or long time ago?

Recently.

That person behind Visions of the Ring had not much right in his speculation past Moria.

Far too positive. It was never realistic.

That Gray Havens.... the landscape modelling looks like it WAS gonna be made at some point =(

In Ered Luin map even now there are "doors" to Grey Havens and Northern Ered Luin. Some of such regions would be really nice refreshment at least for me, but as it is not mainstream, it will probably not happen. Landscapes in LOTRO are nice, and not all of them really should be filled with quests or full of mobs. There was this forest-lake area in good old Bree land...

Impressive exploring by Dorf!

I've sometimes gazed longingly through the gate in Ered Luin up a sloping path on the West side of the vale. I would also like to at least see the landscape even if there were no quests or mobs.

If I had my way I'd place an elf town at Grey Havens, with a few vendor NPCs offering unique cosmetic items and no stable routes there. Oh, and make the whole region one where mounts can't be used like an indoor one, just for people like me who would be prepared to walk it. Not going to happen I know: the "unique" items would be in the Store a couple of months later, called by different names.

Today i have finaly seen what is in the eastern side of Tower Hills.

There are hills but there are no towers.

Two Great Dwarves meet:

nEnANNF.jpg

3etMrGv.jpg

Tower Hills western side:

LvmM8Sz.jpg

Y5TzRnd.jpg

AtLLnUA.jpg

I1xu6T0.jpg

47JoS0N.jpg

9dOeaIl.jpg

5bd6UyF.jpg

x7V5kk5.jpg

UvydHLk.jpg

rlCMf38.jpg

6SuCDtK.jpg

2QCLgVx.jpg

1OWP1u8.jpg

pz9apZ1.jpg

NcTZLks.jpg

jsP1fhk.jpg

NOftyg1.jpg

7BjPynS.jpg

uzMGIz6.jpg

NvWSX5K.jpg

6Czv19e.jpg

htbEO8e.jpg

Q8kxcY1.jpg

PXj4Yib.jpg

13qbq6Q.jpg

Y8EafYm.jpg

yYA9CbR.jpg

wspNkOr.jpg

Rcx7zk6.jpg

1zfgTiE.jpg

axoMaLR.jpg

CEI6wQM.jpg

AJwTNba.jpg

Here is a glimpse of Tower Hills east side:

Kwngli3.jpg

CFAjjtm.jpg

GwZa8Qz.jpg

w5FAa5B.jpg

hwEN539.jpg

X7KnFqc.jpg

G9X5qgU.jpg

iVsNLTv.jpg

jRO4O4w.jpg

Sadly the east side and the hobbit village there are not accessible anymore, you can only climb the hills in west side of Shire and have a sneak peek of Tower Hills from there.