Dorf

Explore Middle-Earth (56k warning!)

On 9.8.2013 at 10:45 AM, Brrokk said:

I've sometimes gazed longingly through the gate in Ered Luin up a sloping path on the West side of the vale. I would also like to at least see the landscape even if there were no quests or mobs.

Maybe this will sate some of your curiosity:

oKTQqqc.jpg

nvVl2Bn.jpg

065Qlnh.jpg

bO6oMho.jpg

OWtBmVL.jpg

N5NaRDS.jpg

1Iazf2P.jpg

MhAJby8.jpg

doarPe1.jpg

IQhG2TN.jpg

6ZQAQFL.jpg

90YiT5M.jpg

Znzcixz.jpg

wIUjtRW.jpg

uexOVMJ.jpg

P1Wn3t0.jpg

iWiG9V1.jpg

Yikes, the sky-in-front effect is very surreal! Looks like it's halfway to the Undying Lands!

Same Swamps as in this post from west side:

2ef3.jpg

5phf.jpg

jdgr.jpg

7alu.jpg

South Farthing/Southern Shire:

6j2n.jpg

3fgu.jpg

6wbz.jpg

bkyv.jpg

3kop.jpg

51wd.jpg

xn0w.jpg

gfw4.jpg

6b1o.jpg

z7d3.jpg

tsjt.jpg

12n2.jpg

fodp.jpg

Unknown floating object:

xzvp.jpg

ey61.jpg

Hi!

Finally decided to sign up on this forum too just to reply to this thread.

I really like out of map exploring, though i rarely do it cause i lack the time to play (job and family) and the patience to manage to make the "one deciding jump"...

Dorf, i guess you already know this thread? Almost 40 pages full of out of map exploration, filled with lots of cool screenshots. Sadly, most of the older screenshots from ~2009, when there were no invisible walls or something, are no longer available :(

The places that interest me the most are the ones where there is actually something to see. Since i have seen it in the thread i mentioned i so badly wanted to see the abandoned campside and the hidden cemetery south of bree. Were these screenshots you posted made recently? Are these still reachable? If so, maybe you could give me some hints how to get there via PM? I know how to get out in two places in southern Barrow Downs, but are these the right ones and where to go from there without being teleported...

I love this!  Exploration certainly is one of the things I miss in LOTRO.  When the entire map was fogged out with the fog of war and you had to explore to open it up - that was so much fun for me!

Dorf, you getting into places you're "not supposed to" is much appreciated.  I'd do it but I don't want to risk losing my character if that's even possible.

Thanks for refreshing this old thread with some new pics.

Speaking of doors in Erid Luin, there is a locked door in the silver deep mines on the left. Was that ever used or for a specific quest because I have never had a quest for it it been able to open it or is it just for future use?

I love this!  Exploration certainly is one of the things I miss in LOTRO.  When the entire map was fogged out with the fog of war and you had to explore to open it up - that was so much fun for me!

Dorf, you getting into places you're "not supposed to" is much appreciated.  I'd do it but I don't want to risk losing my character if that's even possible.

Thanks for refreshing this old thread with some new pics.

Thanks.

I think exploration is not quite so risky as Turbine claims, the worst thing which may happens is getting stuck while your character slides down a slope. This makes mapping our or logging out impossible and stuck does not always work so you may require GM assistance but this may also happen inside the proper map boundaries.

Falling out of the map is another risk but with the introduction of lagsteed it is possible to fall out of the map anywhere.

Speaking of doors in Erid Luin, there is a locked door in the silver deep mines on the left. Was that ever used or for a specific quest because I have never had a quest for it it been able to open it or is it just for future use?

I believe it was for the old dwarf tutorial where you had to tell dwarves to leave the mine with some other dwarf, who uses the door while you continue through the main passage.

Thank you Dorf, your amazing posts here inspired me to join this great forum.  These are wonderful pictures, and you've gone and done things I did not dream were possible.  I have many hours ahead of me now, poking and prodding.  Question though: is your secret using a war steed, or just regular horses?  Some of my best escapes (from the confines) so far have been regular horse, often because it's more controllable, although sometimes the war steed rubber band slingshot is the secret sauce.  I ask because your answer could potentially save me a lot of hours, if most of these need the war steed.

Regarding the warning about toons getting lost and being unrecoverable: the only thing I heard that made sense about the problem was that there could be issues if you logged out or had a connection dropped while badly out of bounds, such that the server would fail to re-initialize your toon when you logged back in, thus causing a crashed toon that they don't have a tool to fix (they can't edit the coordinates I guess, better to blame the customer for breaking the rules and punish them) (sorry, but some of Turbine's attitudes are ugly).

Thank you very much for posting all the wonderful pictures.  I hope to see some of those places myself, and will be sure to share anything I manage.  Here's one I'm proud of, on top of the Isengard wall, above the main gate:

http://imgur.com/fiTFdMx

Question though: is your secret using a war steed, or just regular horses?  Some of my best escapes (from the confines) so far have been regular horse, often because it's more controllable, although sometimes the war steed rubber band slingshot is the secret sauce.  I ask because your answer could potentially save me a lot of hours, if most of these need the war steed.

I mostly use a warsteed.

Dorf, is it even possible to enter the Unexplored Territory? I recently started exploring with my friends and we got some seriously cool pictures but we cant go....anywhere....

We literally just want to run around forever in these green pastures, here's a cool pic, but it was all blocked off by the Archet Barrier or a laggy invisible wall.

Are there any true ways out? (this is in the Lone Lands, south of the big river that seperates it from the trollshaws)

http://imgur.com/PMa8e76

Dorf, is it even possible to enter the Unexplored Territory? I recently started exploring with my friends and we got some seriously cool pictures but we cant go....anywhere....

Can't say how it is right now but when last i played (a year ago) it was still possible to exit the map in many, many spots. Like Dorf i used to focus on doing that but i was doing that in a bit older days.

When last year i tried the older exit spots, many were blocked but...warsteed in most cases was enough to exit anyway.

With a warsteed it's actually not that difficult to find a way out of map due to it's laggy nature.

Many old, off map places were blocked solid. You can get out of map but invisble walls greet you soon after you try to get deeper into uncharted terrain. Example: the north Binbole Wood area exit spot, that used to be popular and you could use it to get to the hidden hobbit village. It is still possible to exit there but invisible walls will block you soon after you will try to get deeper - this was one of the nicest exit spot as from there you could cover a huge off map area including the very north of Evendim, before Forochel was launched.

In another popular spot that most of the players that played long ago knows (in Ost Guruth), instead of invisible walls they added a teleport that activates once you will reach the famous FIX ME: Unassigned. It will port you instantly back to Bree.

For that reason it is best to try and exit in places that were never popular.

In most of the game world it is pretty clear where you could try to get off map and where not but there are some stupid places where they could have done a better job in blocking off the way. Some places in Enedwaith just begs to be off map exit points but Turbine went easy way and on almost flat ground they have added...invisble walls:

30m7nh4.jpg

6o1ml2.jpg

148hfex.jpg

In all of the above screenshots there is an invisible wall in front, where there should either be a steep cliff or no invisible wall...

We literally just want to run around forever in these green pastures, here's a cool pic, but it was all blocked off by the Archet Barrier or a laggy invisible wall.

Are there any true ways out? (this is in the Lone Lands, south of the big river that seperates it from the trollshaws)

http://imgur.com/PMa8e76

As Anglion stated most of the out of map areas are pretty restricted compared to 2007-2008. As far as i know there is no way to remain in Bree-Land: Unexplored Territory for more than 10 seconds after that you will be teleported to your character's race's tutorial area, dwarves get teleported to Thorin's Gate, Humans and hobbits to Archet.

As Anglion stated most of the out of map areas are pretty restricted compared to 2007-2008. As far as i know there is no way to remain in Bree-Land: Unexplored Territory for more than 10 seconds after that you will be teleported to your character's race's tutorial area, dwarves get teleported to Thorin's Gate, Humans and hobbits to Archet.

Is there any locations at all that allow a really big out of map experience? What is the biggest one you know? 

The three biggest ones I know are north of the Trollshaws, south of Dunland and above Dunharrow.

The BEST out of map experience I ever had was exploring the empty Wildermore before it's release (not even the name "Wildermore" was revealed to the public at this point).

• Upvote 2

Right after they updated Bree my kin and I went roof-hopping. By accidentally falling between two buildings we discovered a place where we could walk under all the houses/shops where no npc's exist. Not as cool as going off the map, but still a fun exploration for us.

West Gondor part 1:

CzR1Uav.jpg

Q1DTvww.jpg

Turbine has been really busy with the invisible walls this time, making exploring with warsteed pretty hard but hey if warsteed fails then you can always try flying:

1szPDsR.jpg

QA44oTj.jpg

jTDRwuw.jpg

TP0WMmD.jpg

PVCHm2y.jpg

I was surprised to see that the seagulls weren't just sprites:

fUGcsTR.jpg

nSWcW2N.jpg

Western side:

TXXZI9O.jpg

JFFuHJp.jpg

2YXvb6a.jpg

BMscUEU.jpg

NlARQPy.jpg

Q3K42sD.jpg

WtJnD01.jpg

High tech USVs:

1Iz2BKx.jpg

583iyCO.jpg

Ruins in the west:

Lj3THqg.jpg

9pQ9Pft.jpg

yIpXhjE.jpg

ynzEGIf.jpg

bQJW1vF.jpg

qUn07W5.jpg

The actual playable area in this update seems to be pitiable, i wonder how it is possible to cram five levels worth of content to such a small area:

kINmzg8.jpg

Playable_Area.jpg

Well... that's just pitiful. They even stuck a huge mountain in the middle of it, just to save time.

How are they stopping people from getting to Tol Fennas? Invisible walls or insta-kill?

How are they stopping people from getting to Tol Fennas? Invisible walls or insta-kill?

Myself i was stopped by invisible walls.

Dorf, how exactly do you do flying?

First you need to spread your arms, look up to the sun, praise the sun as it was the Lotro™ Store™ Itself by shouting "Let us praise Turbine™ and Lotro™ Store™!".

Next part is the hardest one (it requires a bit of multitasking), you need to still keep your arms spread and start running, then you need to start to flap your arms while running and reciting prayer "Our Sappo™ who art in Lotro™ Forums" , while doing this you also need to insert Mithril Coins to Hobbit Slot Machine (preferably gold slot). If your faith in Turbine™ and Lotro™ Store™ is strong enough then you should be flying after you have spent about 100 Mithril Coins on Hobbit Slot Machine.

• Upvote 3