Tinker

"A routing issue" preventing players from logging in

My own suspicions are with the shutdown of Pando. Will be interesting to know how they plan to distribute the game in the future - Steam of course being the other option.

Another company (Reloaded Technologies) has bought Pando's portfolio of corporate clients. It will be up to the clients to decide if they wish to use Reloaded's platform.

True, but single-digit packet loss doesn't bring down an entire datacenter, it just means the link is overloaded and the router is automatically dropping packets. While 0% is always the goal, anything between 1 and 5% is really only noticeable in streaming video or voice.

From my own experience when it start to get above 2-2,5% it's impacting games as well. Even relatively slow paced games like Lotro. My Warden got unplayable because of this. Too high latency is very annoying, but you as a player can compensate for it sometimes, packet lost - you cannot do nothing about - in practical terms because of lost packets - I've started to mess up my gambits - packet lost - gambit builder not received - another gambit builder received = gambit messed up.

This affected RK due to it's heavy HoT and attunament nature - albeit to a bit lesser degree.

Hmmm....now why would they want to stop folks from pinging or tracing routes? sherlock.gif

Lol! They aren't stopping people form pinging, the network routig problem is causing issues so they're stopping people logging in while they investigate, not being bale to ping the login servers is a llogical side effect, they're just giving people a heads up about possible side effects.

I just can't see this happening in any of the big MMOs (Rift, Warcraft, or GW2). Communication is as bad as ever. Can it be really true that any player can post on the forums, and and no one from Turbine can post. Not very believable - that they cannot get around this, if it is true.

It's happened multiple times in most of the major mmo's, infact Rift had vendor issues not long ago which stopped logins for a day or so. You can't predict when your vendor goes tits up unfortunately :(

About an hour ago on Facebook Turbine says...

"We continue to work with our vendors to resolve the current issues. To prevent further frustrations to players who were logging in only to be disconnected, we have disabled the ability to log into the game for the time being. You may also find that attempts to ping or trace route during this time may fail."

Hmmm....now why would they want to stop folks from pinging or tracing routes? sherlock.gif

If it's routing issues that makes sense - disable all superfluous traffic, or use reroutes that don't support it. Routing at the datacenter level can screw up a lot of stuff at the ICMP level (ping/trace).

They're just warning that it can actually fail, so that you know it's not unexpected or a sign of a bigger failure.

Seems Turbines provider is Internap.

https://twitter.com/...382821236015104

They seem to be suggesting we contact the Network Operations Centre to find out what's going on! Are the really prepared for a load of angry gamers?

The folks at InterNAP are actually pretty competent, even if their marketing department oversells their services.

They helped me back and forth for about 3 days a couple years ago when we were having the "1 second of lag every 31 seconds" and Turbine claimed it was an issue with our computers or our ISPs. We were able to determine that it was in fact not our ISPs or computers.

The NOC was instructed not to deal with "customers of clients" without a specific request from the client, so I doubt it would get anyone anywhere this time.

It's kind of funny reading the comments on the Facebook page, with players suggesting Turbine try all the unrelated nonsense things Turbine tells us do if we're having problems.

"Login servers are down, Turbine? Please make sure your video card drivers are up-to-date and attach a dxdiag.txt report. Sincerely, Your customers."

It's kind of funny reading the comments on the Facebook page, with players suggesting Turbine try all the unrelated nonsense things Turbine tells us do if we're having problems.

"Login servers are down, Turbine? Please make sure your video card drivers are up-to-date and attach a dxdiag.txt report. Sincerely, Your customers."

ROFL!

Oooh, burn!

Forums are down for me at the moment as well.

'tis a pity, I was gonna have some fun while Sapience couldn't get into his own playground...

O-)

A few months ago there was a CenturyLink outage which spread across 13 States, even as incompetent as CenturyLink is that outage still only lasted about 12 hours.

Unless the physical hardware is destroyed by some catastrophe, there aren't many issues that take longer than 12 hours to resolve. This is all on Turbine, they picked the bed they are laying in now. They chose to keep their forums in the same bed, and they apparently can't be bothered to send out email notifications that their sites and games are down. I guess they don't see any value in communicating with their clients.

I can't say that any of this surprises me though....

Forums are up again.

Of course Turbine can't be bothered to post anything on their own forums about this.

Here's a tip for any Turbine staff - get online any way (like using a laptop tethered to a smart phone or iphone) and actually post on you the Lotro forums a statement. Sapience this will take you under 5 minutes to do - it's your job.

Forums are down for me at the moment as well.

'tis a pity, I was gonna have some fun while Sapience couldn't get into his own playground...

O-)

i was less drastic. finally logged in and removed that stupid sig.

i immediately started to miss this place. ;)

Yes, I'm able to login to the forums again, so hopefully, this is on it's way to be resolved.

FYI My DDO client is running and patching without the error that the lotro client generates.

'Failed to read authentication response [err: unexpected end of file][line 1][col: 1]'

Probably best to just call it a day on accesing aby turbine services forever erm until they announce it's all working again

I stand by my original suggestion to Turbine since F2P lag started:

THROW MONEY AT THE PROBLEM, FOR ONCE

Probably best to just call it a day on accesing aby turbine services forever erm until they announce it's all working again

that would be sensible.

but you just know countless chumps are hitting refresh.

it might look something like this: