14 replies to this topic

#1 Elderban

Elderban

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:04

Seems that LOTRO is offering a 14 day free VIP trial now to try to get people hooked into subscribing...

http://www.lotro.com...ip-limited-time

Of course, you have to read the small print at the bottom of the page...

After 14 days your account will automatically convert to full VIP status and will be billed.

This reminds me of those commercials you see on television where they give you a "free trial offer" for a product, but then charge you $80 a month if you don't cancel said product within a few days.

Turbine has sunk to new lows.

"When an army of fanboys come to the defense of a sub-par product based on "principle" (read: "credulity"; "nothing" is also a good substitute) there's no reason for the developer, publisher, or console-maker to put forth any more effort..." - Patriel Manning

#2 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,527 posts
  • Server:Landroval
  • Kinship:Gathering of Grognards

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:25

Use a one-time credit card number that you can cancel.

#3 Jackalope

Jackalope

Junior Forum Furniture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:34

Negative billing is illegal in most countries these days. No matter what the TOS says.

http://en.wikipedia...._option_billing

How did buying a lifetime account become a free ride, and an example of not supporting Turbine? That money left my pocket and they took it. Free it was not.

#4 fanboi_pimp

fanboi_pimp

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:04

Wow, they are more desperate than ever.

#5 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:27

The best part is that it forces 100% XP gain on you whether you want it or not :)

Nobody spotted the "over a $300 value" on the bottom? I mean "OVER A $300 VALUE" that's how they put it. For what, 20 wardrobe slots and auction house.

#6 Thrabath

Thrabath

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Server:Snowbourn
  • Kinship:Dutch Dunedain

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:19

Well, if you are still a free player I'd directly take it and then cancel it because of this: *If you choose to cancel during the 14 days, or after the VIP time runs out, you'll be flagged as a Premium Player and gain the benefits of that account type.

#7 androclese

androclese

Junior Forum Furniture

• Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:37

Seems that LOTRO is offering a 14 day free VIP trial now to try to get people hooked into subscribing...

http://www.lotro.com...ip-limited-time

Of course, you have to read the small print at the bottom of the page...

This reminds me of those commercials you see on television where they give you a "free trial offer" for a product, but then charge you $80 a month if you don't cancel said product within a few days.

Turbine has sunk to new lows.

To be honest i think you're reading way too much into this. I don't think this is Turdbine trying to force us to pay them.

Going back a few years this was pretty standard in most subscription based games, you sign up for a trial and during that sign up you have to select a subscritpion plan, once thetrial ends your subscription starts unless you cancel it before it ends. Most of the old sub based mmo's were the same, even with the 30 days free you used to get when you bought the game it was the same.

So i think it's more likely that they're just behind the times when it comes to this sort of thing.

#8 Doro

Doro

Official Damn-giver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:50

To be honest i think you're reading way too much into this. I don't think this is Turdbine trying to force us to pay them.

Going back a few years this was pretty standard in most subscription based games, you sign up for a trial and during that sign up you have to select a subscritpion plan, once thetrial ends your subscription starts unless you cancel it before it ends. Most of the old sub based mmo's were the same, even with the 30 days free you used to get when you bought the game it was the same.

So i think it's more likely that they're just behind the times when it comes to this sort of thing.

That was presumably back when subs reigned supreme. They're trying to pull this shit in a game where they don't care about subs and actively moved to F2P just for cash.

Unlisted Forum Rules:
- No derailing (unless you are a mod)
- No calling out a mod's abuse of power
- No posting US politics unless in a thread specifically for it (unless you are a mod)
- No posting images/videos without then typing out exactly what that image/video already explains
- No disobedience to any rule a mod makes up on a whim, or you will receive a warning

#9 Elderban

Elderban

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:19

There's a similar discussion about this subject on the official forums...

https://www.lotro.co...IP-Limited-Time

I love how everyone is discussing how to circumvent the system so they get all of the perks without paying. _O-

"When an army of fanboys come to the defense of a sub-par product based on "principle" (read: "credulity"; "nothing" is also a good substitute) there's no reason for the developer, publisher, or console-maker to put forth any more effort..." - Patriel Manning

#10 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:30

I was about to say that to bump a couple more accounts to premium. But most of my accounts are those $10 packages that include 30 days VIP anyway. Bummer.
(*ETA:)

Hmmm, wait this works on existing premium accounts? So I could upgrade my premium perk lacking new characters?

#11 Koolio

Koolio

Junior Forum Furniture

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 20:40

I was going to try it and see if I had some access to misty mountain quests again, I have a couple toons that need their pages and icy crevasse seems to have stopped dropping them. I could deed giants or something I guess, but wouldn't mind having a little bit of something to do, especially since I never completely explored that area well, and I kind of wanted to try the new builds out on goblintown, at least close to level.

But there is no way in hell an incompetent bunch of boobs like that is getting my card info.

#12 Frosty

Frosty

Junior Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:02

Desperate for subs much?

God forbid that they would add additional benefits for vips so people will sub for more then one month.

#13 Tarantula

Tarantula

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 21:07

I've heard it works at least *double digits* times in a row !

#14 Darmokk

Darmokk

Senior Forum Furniture

• Moderators
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 21:49

Can somebody confirm or deny whether you can use this to get premium perks for characters that have been created after you were last VIP?

#15 Grumpy

Grumpy

Experienced Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 21:51

Can somebody confirm or deny whether you can use this to get premium perks for characters that have been created after you were last VIP?

That's written in small prints, I haven't tested it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Website sponsored by Omines Full Service Internet Bureau