cossieuk

The Random Crap Thread

Yessus. Doro, you owe cossieuk a beer, 8 or so. If he/she hadn't open this topic you would be banned today :)

LordVorontur, the best part is that the one post that Doro is most upset about and that started the current fuzz is a post that Doro has never seen because he was sleeping between posting and nuking it. Even the OP of that post chilled out by now.

Yessus. Doro, you owe cossieuk a beer, 8 or so. If he/she hadn't open this topic you would be banned today :)

Again, more gloating from a supposed mod. Did somebody feed you after midnight to turn you into Sapience?

LordVorontur, the best part is that the one post that Doro is most upset about and that started the current fuzz is a post that Doro has never seen because he was sleeping between posting and nuking it. Even the OP of that post chilled out by now.

No, I probably would have left that alone. I'm now annoyed that you've hidden multiple posts of mine since then and all because you disagreed they were relevant (despite being posts directly replying to what another poster had said).

I've had my run ins with him before, so I'm obviously no Doro fangirl.. but still... I wish you hadn't done that.

• Upvote 3

It isn't censorship to suppress people's opinion.

The what?  That's precisely what censorship is.

If bringing in unrelated topics that would be OK in their own threads is getting to be a problem, is there some way to allow moderators to move posts?  

• Upvote 1

If bringing in unrelated topics that would be OK in their own threads is getting to be a problem, is there some way to allow moderators to move posts?  

It sort of involves actually making tangential posts a bad thing in the Forum Rules.  If MueR OK's that, the moderators can act on it.

For everybody's information, I banned Doro for 4 days effective right now.

Sorry but it leaves a bit of a bad taste that. Cannot help but feel that we should having our arguments in the open and resolving them through discussion. What I'd like to see is once the ban has run its course this issue can be discussed in a dedicated public thread with both parties involved?

• Upvote 3

The what?  That's precisely what censorship is.

Maybe you should've read the whole bit and not just take a quote out of the context of what he was actually saying.

Sorry but it leaves a bit of a bad taste that. Cannot help but feel that we should having our arguments in the open and resolving them through discussion. What I'd like to see is once the ban has run its course this issue can be discussed in a dedicated public thread with both parties involved?

I disagree.  Other than continuing to feed someone's already inflated ego, what would it achieve?

I disagree.  Other than continuing to feed someone's already inflated ego, what would it achieve?

It would keep this forum running along the lines of how it should be - which is that everything gets discussed in the open - even disagreements. So, in your case you should be able to tell Doro that he has an already inflated ego and he can respond.

On every forum I've been on I've been under the belief I'm a visitor and "Your house, your rules".

Even on the OF where almost anything can be deemed infraction worthy I have simply stopped posting.

I have seen the USA post "controversy" here so I'm aware of it but the moderation has never bothered me.

I don't agree with Darmokk editing these "questionable" posts but I have also seen many threads here descend into anarchy with off topic thread jacking = Darmokk is drawing a line in the sand and he has the authority to do that so I'll accept that.

Darmokk carries the ban-hammer = If I have a problem with it I can PM him and follow up with appeal to Muer if I'm not satisfied.

If Muer doesn't have a problem with it than I adapt or leave.

Darmokk removed a portion of one of my posts recently and I disagreed with the decision.

I felt the portion he removed made my point perfectly and it wasn't in any way offensive in itself but rather "could" be considered offensive by some in the context of the discussion we were having. (was a clip from a popular comedy film) I have no idea if some other poster here "reported" my post as offensive or not.

I called Darmokk "every four letter word I know" in a PM ( in humor) rather than in public.

I could have tried to make a case for the item to be un-deleted but I didn't attempt that with Darmokk and I didn't appeal to Muer.

I think the moderation here is VERY lenient... more lenient than I would be. (I hate profanity for example in real life and in online life)

Handle problems with Darmokk via PM's and move on to Muer if needed but DO NOT take your grievance into every thread as it poisons the experience for everyone here IMO.  

Only Doro could manage to get banned for derailing a Random Crap thread meant for derailing.  _O-

• Upvote 2

Silly move banning Doro. I left the other forum to avoid silly moderation decisions, but it looks like we've got our own Sapience here now.

• Upvote 3

Just ignore him already... completely ignore him. I don't agree with a lot of what he says so I just skip over it.. as I do with other people's posts and people may do with mine.

Anyway, this place was started due to the worries over moderation at the OFs. We've a lot of people who here who've been banned there, most of them unjustly. So imho, banning needs to be taken pretty seriously here and saved for the really vicious or those who come here to literally only troll. Doro isn't either imho.

This thread has gotten way less random than it should have. It has turned into another Doro v Darmokk thread.

Unfortunately this forum software in this version doesn't have that functionality.

I had thought about posting the original version with then-hidden post to my webserver so that people know what that was about. But that doesn't quite work since the moderator view has information that isn't for the public and I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Unfortunately the functionality available also doesn't allow me to leave a "post hidden" marker, it only allows that for mod-edited posts which in turn isn't reversible.

People can of course re-post whatever is affected by that in a more appropriate topic, although that presents the problem that few web browsers offer an "outbox" like functionality to recall previous text field inputs, so they might not have the text.

I've had my run ins with him before, so I'm obviously no Doro fangirl.. but still... I wish you hadn't done that.

Right. The reason why Doro wasn't banned so far is that he posts useful information, too. There is a balance, a signal to noise ratio. Doro brings forward highly relevant original thoughts and knows many corners of the internet to post things that really contribute here.

That is why he wasn't banned although there is a whole series of violations that would have been an instant permaban on any other forum, including a multiple un-edit of a forum edited post, about racially loaded swearwords, with pictures.

However, in the last 24 hours he's been posting bait for me with no other intention of "tempting" me to hide them. Problem is, I don't care, I just nuke that nonsense and he can complain to the forum owners. I want to enjoy my weekend so I banned him for the weekend and left him able to use the PM system to either gather supporters here or discuss it with other forum officials. Instead I get useless back and forth.

One would've thought that if people had been paying attention, they'd seen what Doro had been attempting the last day or so.

But no, it's much easier to accuse those who moderate of being "Sapience" or whatever.

Seriously, this wasn't created to be a free-for-all. Get that out of your skulls. If it had been, there wouldn't be any forum rules.

The censorship argument falls flat on it's face right there when you are able to post the same thing you just had moderator objections to in it's own thread (exceptions apply, such as racism, personal information, real-world threats).

I want everybody to take a step back and look at what we have here:

1) a LOTRO forum that is now bigger than the official one, and arguably a lot more useful

2) show me any other forum where people can have a useful Gaza thread right now. We are second to none here. And that is although we have the full spectrum from Israel supporters, Palestinian supporters, US right wing and several others.

3) this is the place where you can get useful and explained information about the Tolkien lawsuit

I am not going to have that wrecked because one member needs to go into a thread where people are grieving about the victims of the dutch flight because he/she feels the need to blame Omaba for a 1988 shootdown of an Iranian plane, when the Republicans were in power. That is not appropriate. And I'm not going to have that wrecked because another member gets so upset about that hidden post that he starts spam-baiting a moderator all day long, and that is without ever having seen that hidden post. Only Doro can manage to do that.

If somebody want to speak up in support of Doro feel free to p.m. me and him, but there needs to be a plan here against the spambaiting and so far he isn't cooperating.

One would've thought that if people had been paying attention, they'd seen what Doro had been attempting the last day or so.

of course he was arguing with him and poking him.. it's what he does to everyone. Personally, I've learned to ignore it and move on when I don't feel like reading it and instead read the things that do interest me.

Skimming is a great thing. :P

But no, it's much easier to accuse those who moderate of being "Sapience" or whatever.

Seriously, this wasn't created to be a free-for-all. Get that out of your skulls. If it had been, there wouldn't be any forum rules.

That's both unfair and over the top. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry but it leaves a bit of a bad taste that.

I agree

Doro likes to troll sometimes and post crap, he has been doing this for three years, if anyone has been here for any period of time they know this and can handle it. I don't see any need for the ban to be honest.

• Upvote 4

That's both unfair and over the top.

Well said.

• Upvote 1

It would achieve consensus on how the forum should handle posts that belong in their own thread instead of in threads that are focused on a different topic.

It would achieve consensus.

I want to focus on this. In no way am I criticising you, Darmokk. What you do here for this forum is way beyond the call of duty and as I myself am not prepared to get of my "virtual" arse and become a mod myself then who am I to tell you how you should enforce forum policy.

However, the issue with this forum is that, unlike the OF or other games publishers or commercial forum is that it's not the property or copyright of some impersonal corporation, this forum is us as a community. It's success rests solely on what we contribute - be that myself, Doro, Damojo or anyone else willing to post and the vibrancy that the discussion generates.

Hence why IMO the banning of anyone unless it's for serious issues represents to me a failure of the community to moderate itself, which if we had been attentive we should have all imposed ourselves rather than leave it to you Darmokk to have to pick it up.

Bit of a ramble but hope that makes sense. 

Doro likes to troll sometimes and post crap, he has been doing this for three years, if anyone has been here for any period of time they know this and can handle it. I don't see any need for the ban to be honest.

This.

And please people stop comparing Darmokk to that liar lil ricky.