Doro

The Rage Corner

​Damn, did the timestamp not work on it? I only wanted that last 'triggered' reaction!

​It did, still don't know what your point is, but I refuse to follow this gamergate nonsense.

​It did, still don't know what your point is, but I refuse to follow this gamergate nonsense.

​It wasn't about gamergate, I just wanted the reaction. And the reaction was for the link I gave (the article on men taking their wives' surnames).

​It wasn't about gamergate, I just wanted the reaction. And the reaction was for the link I gave (the article on men taking their wives' surnames).

​Yeah, I see that now, so what's the big deal? If I was to marry and if my wife had a cooler last name I would consider it.

​Yeah, I see that now, so what's the big deal? If I was to marry and if my wife had a cooler last name I would consider it.

​I edited just for an image now, for less confusion.

Men taking women's surnames is tantamount to men wearing the dress at the wedding. It's just throwing tradition for the sake of (in their eyes, as they say in the article) looking progressive.

​I edited just for an image now, for less confusion.

Men taking women's surnames is tantamount to men wearing the dress at the wedding. It's just throwing tradition for the sake of (in their eyes, as they say in the article) looking progressive.

​Are you that insecure in your masculinity that taking a woman's surname is the same as wearing a dress to you? You never came across as the traditional type. Shrug, I've never been married, never plan on being married, it didn't stop me from having offspring and raising him.

​Are you that insecure in your masculinity that taking a woman's surname is the same as wearing a dress to you? You never came across as the traditional type. Shrug, I've never been married, never plan on being married, it didn't stop me from having offspring and raising him.

Where's the insecurity in that? A man that takes a woman's surname is being a pansy. It's the same as wearing the dress because it's the same thing that the woman would traditionally do in a wedding. I'm all for women keeping their name, it's just practical to do so, but men changing theirs for some smug attempt at acting superior to people is pathetic. Look at what one of the idiots said:

"It shows I don't buy into this idea of patriarchy, and that I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't see it as anything at all."

So comfortable with who he is that he'll change who is he for the sake of 'sticking it to the man'. It's nonsense. Your family name means something.

It's nonsense. Your family name means something.

​But why does your family name mean more than hers.

Disclaimer, my wife took my surname and I probably wouldn't have taken hers, frankly it never occurred to me that it was an option.

Where's the insecurity in that? A man that takes a woman's surname is being a pansy. It's the same as wearing the dress because it's the same thing that the woman would traditionally do in a wedding. I'm all for women keeping their name, it's just practical to do so, but men changing theirs for some smug attempt at acting superior to people is pathetic. Look at what one of the idiots said:

"It shows I don't buy into this idea of patriarchy, and that I'm comfortable enough with who I am that I don't see it as anything at all."

So comfortable with who he is that he'll change who is he for the sake of 'sticking it to the man'. It's nonsense. Your family name means something.

​Yep, no insecurity here!!

​But why does your family name mean more than hers.

​I don't think it does. Hence, if women want to keep their names then go for it.

​Yep, no insecurity here!!

There's no fucking insecurity. Stop projecting.

Men taking women's surnames is tantamount to men wearing the dress at the wedding. 

​so what if it is two women and/or two men getting married?  

​so what if it is two women and/or two men getting married?  

​Whoever's wearing the dress :P

Your family name means something.

​unless of course, if you are a woman.

/shrug

​unless of course, if you are a woman.

/shrug​

See:

​I don't think it does. Hence, if women want to keep their names then go for it.

sounds like doro feels that you are being submissive if you decide to change your last name to that of your partner

since women, in his mind i assume, are supposed to be submissive it's okay for them to change their name

but not the dude.  it's sexism hiding behind tradition.

Edited by Papi
typos

sounds like doro feels that you are being submissive if you decide to change your last name to that of your partner

since women, in his mind i assume, are supposed to be submissive it's okay for them to change their name

​Yeah, you are being submissive if you change your last name (it's inherent in the act). Man or woman (so not sexism). It is tradition for the woman to take that role (so it's socially acceptable already) but it's not a problem if women do want to keep their name (my own partner doesn't want to change hers and I wouldn't want her to). My issue is reversing traditions for pedantic reasons.

Edit: and no, your assumption of what is in my mind is incorrect.

just because something is a tradition, doesn't mean it's right...or that we can't change those traditions as we evolve.

i'm sure there is a list of traditions that any one of us can produce that we don't follow today because they are archaic and don't have a place in modern society

you consider it an act of submission...but i think that says more about you than the act itself

and i find your use of the word pedantic here to be a bit...ironic

anyway, off to lunch

My parents had 5 grand daughters and one grandson. (who was also first grandchild = spoiled rotten)

When my nephew married they combined their surnames in the Hollywood power couple fashion like "Brangelina" for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie... a fad at best.

My parents were quite upset by this as passing on the family name was traditional and meant something to them and was something the complete opposite of a fad in their thinking. My parents still loved them and weren't upset to the "We will never speak with them again" degree but they were upset.

After a few years of maturity and having kids of his own led my nephew to change all their names back again. (an expense of >$1000 I believe)

Thankfully my parents were still alive to witness this change but were still unnecessarily hurt by a youthful "fad".

Edited by fittybolger
  • Upvote 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33094807

They're looking for what they described as a 14 year old male Asian... yeah, Asian. Probably THE broadest range of races you could possibly mention. And in an area infamous for having a lot of 'Asians'.

It's clearly a sub-continental kid, as most 'Asians' in Bradford are Indics (I can't actually think of Bradford without hearing it in an Indian accent). So why are they pussyfooting around giving a more accurate description? It's not a game of Guess Who.

you consider it an act of submission...but i think that says more about you than the act itself

Sure thing.

liberal-manhood-personified.jpg

​Changing your last name to one of your partner IS submissive.

I don't know what you mean by "okay" or "not okay" to be honest,  but as a matter of a fact - exchanging your surname to your partner surname IS submissive - simple as that.

I am also not entirelly sure what you mean by 'sexism' in this matter - nowadays 'sexism' is used so frequently and in accordance to so many situations I genuinely don't know what you exactly mean by that 'it's sexism hiding behind tradition'?  It is not a rhetorical question either - I want to understand what you meant by it.

• Upvote 1

There's no fucking insecurity. Stop projecting.

​I'm not projecting, I'm stating the obvious. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. There's no sense in arguing with you about it, I learned a long time ago arguing with you is the same as arguing with a brick wall, if I do argue with you it's for entertainment purposes. Your steadfast refusal to ever admit you're wrong or even contemplate other points of view is almost sociopathic.

You do realize this tradition is based on religion, one would think an atheist such as yourself would eschew such traditions.

​I'm not projecting, I'm stating the obvious. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. There's no sense in arguing with you about it, I learned a long time ago arguing with you is the same as arguing with a brick wall, if I do argue with you it's for entertainment purposes. Your steadfast refusal to ever admit you're wrong or even contemplate other points of view is almost sociopathic.

You do realize this tradition is based on religion, one would think an atheist such as yourself would eschew such traditions.

​And here we go with the usual nonsense. 'You don't listen, you're always right, blah blah blah'. It's fucking bullshit and you know it. A half-assed cop out as yet another attack of character instead of actually arguing a point. The only thing sociopathic here is your constant need to try to apply your own issues to me. Sort yourself out.

​Changing your last name to one of your partner IS submissive.

I don't know what you mean by "okay" or "not okay" to be honest,  but as a matter of a fact - exchanging your surname to your partner surname IS submissive - simple as that.

I am also not entirelly sure what you mean by 'sexism' in this matter - nowadays 'sexism' is used so frequently and in accordance to so many situations I genuinely don't know what you exactly mean by that 'it's sexism hiding behind tradition'?  It is not a rhetorical question either - I want to understand what you meant by it.

its pretty simple.  following doro's logic, a man is a "pansy" if he takes the woman's last name.  why? because of an old tradition based on some patriarchal religious bullshit that a woman must submit to a man, and among other things...take his name.  so if a man submits to a woman in this particular case he must be a  "pansy".  if that isn't the definition of insecurity I don't know what it is.

so sure, it has it's origins in "submission"...but to apply that same logic in today's world, to me, is asinine.

but hey, to each their own.

​And here we go with the usual nonsense. 'You don't listen, you're always right, blah blah blah'. It's fucking bullshit and you know it. A half-assed cop out as yet another attack of character instead of actually arguing a point. The only thing sociopathic here is your constant need to try to apply your own issues to me. Sort yourself out.

​except that he's spot on.  there really is no point in having an argument with you.

listen to you...anyone with half a a brain can go through your posts and easily deduce you're a homophobe, sexist, and a racist.

​except that he's spot on.  there really is no point in having an argument with you.

listen to you...anyone with half a a brain can go through your posts and easily deduce you're a homophobe, sexist, and a racist.

​It would certainly take someone with half a brain to make that mistake.

its pretty simple.  following doro's logic, a man is a "pansy" if he takes the woman's last name.  why? because of an old tradition based on some patriarchal religious bullshit that a woman must submit to a man, and among other things...take his name.  so if a man submits to a woman in this particular case he must be a  "pansy".  if that isn't the definition of insecurity I don't know what it is.

so sure, it has it's origins in "submission"...but to apply that same logic in today's world, to me, is asinine.

but hey, to each their own.

​Its connection to religion is superficial, as wife taking husband name,  or at very least children taking father name (and not mother) is something that was and is widespread through diffrent parts of world, diffrent religions including atheist, diffrent culture societies. 

It is patriarchal though, but almost all societies either are or were patriarchal.

I will not comment that taking woman name is "pansy" - I don't want to touch that, but taking it aside - taking someone name whether it is woman taking man name or man taking woman name IS submissive.  That is a simple objective fact. No need to add any ideology to it.

In Zoe Saldana and her husband Marco Saldana case - well in case of name he submitted to her - I will not him pansy, I don't have a need of belittle a man who have taken her partner name (she seems like strong willed person, she is definately more famous and propably significantly more wealthy than Marco, so it is not that big of a surprise) but no need to be afraid of stating a simple fact that taking someone name is submissive.   

People seem way to scary nowadays to admit that usually in relationship (not only a romantical one) one side is more dominating and other one is more subsmissive,  even if that dominance and submissiveness is small and selective.  Equality is very rare, even if people in relationship both think they are equal.

PS. I am still interested what you meant by sexist in your previous post I've quoted in my previous post.

Edited by drul
  • Upvote 1