Sign in to follow this  
Spidey

GW2 goes F2P

Seems like a lot of 'free players will lose' rather than 'paid players will gain'.

But I'm not surprised. It couldn't hold people well.

Seems like a lot of 'free players will lose' rather than 'paid players will gain'.

But I'm not surprised. It couldn't hold people well.

It was the players that paid that were complaining. Anyone that purchased HoT would get the original game also, so if you never played GW2 you would get the base game and the xpac for 10 bucks cheaper than the original buy in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a4ktf/dont_prepurchase_heart_of_thorns/

http://taugrim.com/2015/08/30/arenanet-executes-a-deft-recovery-for-heart-of-thorns-with-f2p-and-raid-annoucements/

Not really surprised as well.  GW2 was basically F2P game but with manadatory box fee anyway, so it just make sense to stop pretending to be B2P and practically go F2P and make "box" act like an big unlock token / "VIP" fee.

It kinda shows that B2P thing for MMO(RPG)s was an marketting hoax and doomed from the start anyway.  MMOs are both created for and need ongoing fees.

Defiance went fully F2P some time ago, GW2 did now.  I guess TSW will be next.

Edited by drul

It kinda shows that B2P thing for MMO(RPG)s was an marketting hoax and doomed from the start anyway.  MMOs are both created for and need ongoing fees.

Nope. GW2 made its money off of B2P. Successfully. Never was a hoax.

The only reason they went F2P is because they have a new expansion, and players need to B2P that part of the game. Going F2P just brings more people in to the game and pushes sales of the $50 expansion. This is not like Rift with a pure F2P model - you can only get half the game for free.

GW2 has shown the B2P model works for MMOs - or rather B2P plus shop. This model is much better than a F2P model with only a shop.

Edited by nosam9

Nope. GW2 made its money off of B2P. Successfully. Never was a hoax.

The only reason they went F2P is because they have a new expansion, and players need to B2P that part of the game. Going F2P just brings more people in to the game and pushes sales of the $50 expansion. This is not like Rift with a pure F2P model - you can only get half the game for free.

GW2 has shown the B2P model works for MMOs - or rather B2P plus shop. This model is much better than a F2P model with only a shop.

So Lotro is B2P too?  You need to buy expansions and only get a fraction of the game for free.

So Lotro is B2P too?  You need to buy expansions and only get a fraction of the game for free.

B2P means you can't play at all until you buy. Like TSW or GW2 (used to be).

you could grind out all that tp but you'll go insane.  Technically you don't need to spend a dollar. 

I never played gw2 but the people who did said they certainly got their money's worth.  Giving away that years old content doesn't hurt the people who ponied up 60$.  Sure the new players will have all of that for free but they will have to pay for the new content.  

So far the only adverse effect to this I've seen is the occasional disconnect...I hope upgrading the servers is something they took into consideration when they made the decision. For the most part it's not even that much of a problem, but when you've spent around 30 minutes helping to organize a Tequatl map and you suddenly get booted, it can get frustrating.

Oh, and that dreadful Mordrem invasion event from a couple of weekends ago, which I suspect was meant to tease the expansion to the newer players. That was, hands-down, the single worst event I've seen in this game to date.