Sign in to follow this  
Jedy2

Swearing policy

There is something sweet and endearing in Doro, even when he is spreading his "curse and swear" charm on this forum. However - for a moderator to persist in gratuitously swearing at his interlocutor as he does on page 8 of the "Hello from Cordovan" thread is too much. One is almost inclined to think he is trying to insult a fellow poster. 

I protest! My eyes hurt - do something. (And no, don't tell me to stop reading this forum.)

I've read through that bit. I see a bunch of people acting like 8 year olds, why are you specifically targeting Doro here? He is not posting there as a moderator, he's posting as a user on these forums. If he would have done that while acting as a mod, then you could specifically target him.

In general, I would like to see people take a less aggressive stance and particularly resort to name-calling and cussing far less often, but on the other hand I don't want to be spending my time policing every single post.

He's posting as poster. He's not moderating himself, that would be against forum policy. OK. I get it. 

1 - I'm NOT volunteering to take Doro's job - I don't have time to deal with idiots no more. I was a mod once, and resigned my post to explain to the users why they were a bunch of aggressive imbeciles.

2 -  Ah, never mind... If you think moderators can insult users with impunity because they exercise their rights as posters, so be it.

3 - ...

52 minutes ago, Jedy2 said:

He's posting as poster. He's not moderating himself, that would be against forum policy. OK. I get it. 

1 - I'm NOT volunteering to take Doro's job - I don't have time to deal with idiots no more. I was a mod once, and resigned my post to explain to the users why they were a bunch of aggressive imbeciles.

2 -  Ah, never mind... If you think moderators can insult users with impunity because they exercise their rights as posters, so be it.

3 - ...

If you actually look through that chain, you'll see I'm only responding in kind to Papi. He's the one that set the tone. And since I've not moderated either of us on that, I don't see what the problem is.

2 hours ago, MueR said:

I've read through that bit. I see a bunch of people acting like 8 year olds, why are you specifically targeting Doro here? He is not posting there as a moderator, he's posting as a user on these forums. If he would have done that while acting as a mod, then you could specifically target him.

In general, I would like to see people take a less aggressive stance and particularly resort to name-calling and cussing far less often, but on the other hand I don't want to be spending my time policing every single post.

Doro gets targeted because he's a moderator. He's supposed to put an end to these kind of spats  -- not egg them on by responding in kind (and then some).

Sorry, how does the "Ignore" function work? Is there such an option at all?

14 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Doro gets targeted because he's a moderator. He's supposed to put an end to these kind of spats  -- not egg them on by responding in kind (and then some).

Well, these are the options I have when it comes to stuff like this:

1. Delete posts the moment I don't like them, thus stifling opinions and dominating any conversation. An option that will basically turn this place into the official forums.

2. Leave them as they are and respond in kind, letting people have their say (even if I don't like what they have to say) whilst simultaneously having my own (even if they don't like what I have to say). An option that allows freedom of speech.

I know which one I will always prefer. I've only ever used moderation for spam, and proper trolls. Even with proper trolls, I go for private messages with them first.

The good side of Doro's moderation - his thick skin. Most mods get all uppity-puppity when under attack, and do indeed start "moderating" the discussion.

His idea of "responding in kind" is ridiculous though. He's just smearing shit all over the monitor because "he has been provoked by a snide remark from someone ha has a history with".

Well I don't care cunt-inside-a-prick about his fucking history, and I want to read a thread without being subjected to his continuous spittle. Since putting moderators on ignore does not seem to work - I protest and reserve myself the right to explore new, rich avenues in the English language. All this invasion of "cunt in every post" is so boring and repetitive. 

The option of not responding in kind. This would be one of those times where there's possibly two or three proper trolls going at it to the detriment of the forums. Normally a moderator would step in to put an end to it. However, when one of those trolls (possibly the most vile of the bunch) is a moderator then there's no end in sight for the trolling.

Really, if this is just a bit of "freedom of speech", there's no need for moderation at all.

23 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

in my case, i didn't "target" him because he was a moderator.  for all his claims that i was "setting the tone", he was the one purposely misinterpreting what Cordovan was saying because of his own issues.  you would think that after someone pointed that out--repeatedly--he would simply man up and cease and desist, but this is Doro so the name calling ensued. 

2 minutes ago, Papi said:

in my case, i didn't "target" him because he was a moderator.  for all his claims that i was "setting the tone", he was the one purposely misinterpreting what Cordovan was saying because of his own issues.  you would think that after someone pointed that out--repeatedly--he would simply man up and cease and desist, but this is Doro so the name calling ensued. 

Keep your lies in one thread. Easier to deal with like that.

I'm talking about why he was "targeted" in this thread, not the other.

Right, so what do you lot want me to do here? I can go back and delete the whole chain and then sit in "delete insults on sight" mode, or I can leave it as it is. What I can't do is just ignore it. Unless I've started something myself, I won't just let it slide.

1 minute ago, Doro said:

Right, so what do you lot want me to do here? I can go back and delete the whole chain and then sit in "delete insults on sight" mode, or I can leave it as it is. What I can't do is just ignore it. Unless I've started something myself, I won't just let it slide.

Stop insulting. 

At least in that thread. 

As far as I am concerned - you can present your case without insults in THIS ONE thread.

Or is it too much to ask?

3 minutes ago, Jedy2 said:

Stop insulting. Or is it too much to ask?

Yeah, it is. If someone wants to throw out some insults, I'm going to throw them back.

Seriously, this all started because I posted "Not really. It's a thread in which a CM for a company (which historically treats its customers like shit) came here and acted like nothing ever happened over there." And that was in response to someone else saying the other thread was just for whiners.

You're a moderator. Don't throw the insults back. You're supposed to behave like an adult. (And so is everyone else.)

4 minutes ago, Doro said:

Seriously, this all started because I posted "Not really. It's a thread in which a CM for a company (which historically treats its customers like shit) came here and acted like nothing ever happened over there." And that was in response to someone else saying the other thread was just for whiners.

Actually, this is how it all started..and I was replying to your statement to Corodvan that read "Better to just pretend none of it ever happened or that it was all the fault of the players, right?" (which, of course, he never implied)

On 8/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, Papi said:

Doro, get over yourself.  The fact that he bothered to even post here and has opened up a dialogue proves that you are way off the mark here.

On 8/2/2016 at 2:12 PM, Doro said:

You first, prick. Your opinion has no sway over what I will and will not post.

7 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

You're a moderator. Don't throw the insults back. You're supposed to behave like an adult. (And so is everyone else.)

Having a moderator tag doesn't neuter me. Unless I pull out the mod-break tags, what I post has nothing to do with moderation.

1 minute ago, Papi said:

Actually, this is how it all started..and I was replying to your statement to Corodvan that read "Better to just pretend none of it ever happened or that it was all the fault of the players, right?" (which, of course, he never implied)

Ha! I had no idea you were still butthurt about that. So you've been holding on to that post, which is why you came back with a post straight out of left field about my ban. It's starting to make sense now. Turns out little Papi's just upset that he couldn't control how others are posting. Poor bab.

2 minutes ago, Doro said:

Having a moderator tag doesn't neuter me. Unless I pull out the mod-break tags, what I post has nothing to do with moderation.

Ha! I had no idea you were still butthurt about that. So you've been holding on to that post, which is why you came back with a post straight out of left field about my ban. It's starting to make sense now. Turns out little Papi's just upset that he couldn't control how others are posting. Poor bab.

dude, if anyone here is butthurt it's the guy who has been name calling from the get go and getting all riled up about shit that happened years ago.  hint:  that would be you.

2 minutes ago, Doro said:

Very little of what you post has to do with moderation. I think your hairtrigger short fuse makes you a very very poor choice for being a moderator. You're often the one (perhaps more than anyone else) that needs to be moderated on this board.

• Upvote 1

Doro, I'll let you on to a secret. Free of charge.

"Getting out of our way to hurt other people is not the way to go."

I'm not saying "never kill, or never whack people". Sometimes one has to do those things. But I am utterly uninterested in your inability to stop insulting people. You may have a Tourette Syndrome or what not - I don't care, and I don't blame you. Just stop being a moderator if you cant stop insulting - then I can put you on ignore and read the forums. 

If Muer doesn't have manpower to deal with shit create a new nick "I CANT" or what not - and get mod powers for this user. 

Or ask Muer to introduce the option of putting moderators on ignore.  

7 minutes ago, Papi said:

dude, if anyone here is butthurt it's the guy who has been name calling from the get go and getting all riled up about shit that happened years ago.  hint:  that would be you.

You really are funny. "Name-calling" is apparently the final sin for you, and yet twice now in the other thread the name-calling only came about because of how YOU were behaving. Apparently, you've got some beef with me, which is cute, but come on now. You need to let stuff go. You'll feel better for it. The next time someone posts even remotely negatively about Cordovan, you don't need to whiteknight it. You can just relax.

9 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Very little of what you post has to do with moderation. I think your hairtrigger short fuse makes you a very very poor choice for being a moderator. You're often the one (perhaps more than anyone else) that needs to be moderated on this board.

Yeah, I'm not sure you understand what a moderator is used for here. It isn't to stifle people, it's mostly to deal with major problems. And since I've NEVER used moderation against people I've clashed with, I don't know why you'd even think I'm a poor choice for it.

6 minutes ago, Jedy2 said:

But I am utterly uninterested in your inability to stop insulting people.

I am continually baffled by this. I'm not insulting people out of nowhere. It's not some unprovoked attack. And yet you think it's me that needs to stop. Who's selling these "Doro only" glasses that filter out what everyone else's posts?

5 minutes ago, Doro said:

Yeah, I'm not sure you understand what a moderator is used for here. It isn't to stifle people, it's mostly to deal with major problems. And since I've NEVER used moderation against people I've clashed with, I don't know why you'd even think I'm a poor choice for it.

Ah. You don't see the problem with behaviours in the other thread. Or, the behaviours are acceptable. Carry on.

IIRC the killfile functionality doesn't work on moderators.

In cases like this I would split the bad stuff into a separate thread, so that the suggested usefulness of the original thread is preserved (or its lack of it documented with a reasonable signal/noise ratio).

Also, don't challenge Doro to a swearing match. It's not a David against Goliath situation, we are talking fly against nuke here.

26 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

Also, don't challenged Doro to a swearing match. It's not a David against Goliath situation, we are talking fly against nuke here.

His choice of vocabulary is very limited. He just puts the word cunt in every post. Persistent bugger, I must admit.