LasraelLarson

Have you voted? ;)

1,056 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

And (hopefully) we can finally move past this idiotic notion of political correctness - which is really just a form of censorship.

I doubt it, when the media is owned by so many of a certain "kind" of people. Plus, the internet will always be a breeding ground for political correctness. I've been spending my morning off just visiting the safe spaces and echo chambers of the uber-left, and drinking in the tears. It's Brexit all over again and I love it!

1 minute ago, Doro said:

I doubt it, when the media is owned by so many of a certain "kind" of people. Plus, the internet will always be a breeding ground for political correctness. I've been spending my morning off just visiting the safe spaces and echo chambers of the uber-left, and drinking in the tears. It's Brexit all over again and I love it!

Yeah, it's hilarious that so many in the media are SURPRISED by this.

I mean, look at how the votes went down in all of the states, Trump not only got the popular vote, but also got 30+/50 states, in addition to somewhere around 300 of the electoral college votes.  In the states that Trump won, it's not uncommon to see a margin of 10%, and a few have as much of a 30% margin (like Utah).

Given what we were told beforehand about Clinton winning this thing hands down, and the reality of it, it shows just how out of touch the talking heads truly are.

What gives me hope that Trump's knows how to tone down the trolling is his victory speech, and he's actually trying to cross the divide as he realizes he needs to work together with everyone moving forward:

I see the "omg they're all racist" brown shirts of political correctness are already at work.

How has the Syrian / North African migrant situation been working for Europe? Well the USA has been dealing with Mexican Illegals for my entire life.

Trump will put up the wall and Mexico will pay for it... either willingly or through the imposition of a new (regressive) border crossing fee / tax.

TPP is dead... NAFTA is going to be under scrutiny... and I wonder about just about EVERY international agreement or treaty. U.N.? NATO? (making every member pull it's weight or contribute financially to the member nations who do pull their weight), GATT? IMF? ???

Angry white males have crossed the Rubicon led by Farage and Trump.

1 hour ago, fittybolger said:

4 hours ago, Doro said:

IDomestic policy will be another matter. I'm already seeing people retweet that they're terrified for their lives because they're black, Mexican, an immigrant, Muslim, a woman, gay, trans, or a leftist. Hard to try to rule a nation when half of your people have this bizarre belief you're actually competently evil.

Hey I'm a white guy and I am terrified, for starters about all those truckpunks who try to kill me on the roads here. They have gotten very gocky already.

7 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Finally we can fix the screwups of the last 8 years and get the economy back on track.

Well I'm for one am honestly curious what Trump will actually do. He wasn't very specific about much, and the little he said he would do is actually not in the power spectrum of the president.

5 hours ago, Doro said:

Hard to try to rule a nation when half of your people have this bizarre belief you're actually competently evil.

Have you seen the people that make us his transitional team? Not so bizarre...

2 hours ago, fittybolger said:

The only thing that angry white males have to be angry about...well, what do they have to be angry about?  Half of them probably don't even know...

But yes, today is a great day to be an older, straight, white, "Christian" male.  It's just like the good ole days!

Well, at least we probably will enter interesting times the next months/ years

To be honest, I think Trump will be a big disappointment to those who voted for him, because I think he can't fix the problems the USA (or all western countries) has. Prosperity isn't divided equally around the world, the western world is too rich when you look at our population numbers and the other 6 billion want a share of it too. Globalization will 'help' with this problem. Another big problem is the lack of jobs for the lower-educated. More and more of their jobs are automated. I think the job-loss in the western world to automization is far bigger than job-loss to outsourcing. And those jobs won't come back and won't be replaced.

There are some options to solve that problem:
1. Higher minimum wages
2. Birth selection (prevent those with lesser economic opportunities to be born)
3. Give state benefits to those people by raising taxes for the richer
4. Make more jobs (but how? because all simple jobs are automated...)

Which option would a Republican choose/ how can you do nr. 4 in the current world/ which other options are there?

And politicians all fail to see this point (or just refuse to tell it)

There are too many people with low skills competing for low-skill jobs. That applies inside America (local white trash against local white trash) as well as internationally. American low-skill workers compete with those in other countries, and prices for American low-skill workers are driven up by e.g. safety requirements.

This isn't anything that politics can directly change based on decisions they make. That is for all politics and government combined. When you look at just what kind of powers are put into the hands of the U.S. president you will find them limited. Very limited indeed when it comes to directly influence the workers' situation inside random U.S. states.  

It is true that the Trump voters will have an opportunity to see how it works out for them. However, in my view of this election it is not so much that poor white trash voted Trump because they are poor. The religious (evangelist) element looks stronger to me than the poverty argument. And that is relatively easy to please from a federal government position. Especially if you have open seats on the highest courts. We won't see a money shift, but religious fundamentalism will dictate a lot of decisions in the next 4 years. The poor won't have a single penny more effective income in 4 years, but they will be pleased because their religious ideas have been accommodated. It really is best for all. The masses are satisfied, the elite can still extract every last penny from the poor, and nobody has to change their lives (like, get education to compete better or some other horrible scenario like that).

Hehe I don't have the time or inclination to get into a huge wall of text so... briefly.

I am Canadian but my brother has lived in the USA for ~25 years along with his wife and 4 children. All remain Canadian citizens except for my nephew who wanted to join the FBI and he needed to become a US citizen to pursue that career path. So, personally, I do have a dog in this fight when it comes to USA issues above and beyond the close economic and social ties that exist in general between Canada and the USA.

Angry white male... well, IMO, globalism at it's basic foundation is an attempt to avoid wars by developing, primarily, interdependent economic relationships between nation states. Nice goal but it also necessitates a redistribution of wealth between rich and poor countries and all of the hard and soft infrastructure that goes along with that. There is also a multicultural component to globalism that plays against traditional nationalist sentiments.

So do I really need to go into why there would be an 'Angry white male" sentiment given a international redistribution of wealth and a diluting of cultural identity?

1 hour ago, Thrabath said:

Well, at least we probably will enter interesting times the next months/ years

To be honest, I think Trump will be a big disappointment to those who voted for him, because I think he can't fix the problems the USA (or all western countries) has. Prosperity isn't divided equally around the world, the western world is too rich when you look at our population numbers and the other 6 billion want a share of it too. Globalization will 'help' with this problem. Another big problem is the lack of jobs for the lower-educated. More and more of their jobs are automated. I think the job-loss in the western world to automization is far bigger than job-loss to outsourcing. And those jobs won't come back and won't be replaced.

There are some options to solve that problem:
1. Higher minimum wages
2. Birth selection (prevent those with lesser economic opportunities to be born)
3. Give state benefits to those people by raising taxes for the richer
4. Make more jobs (but how? because all simple jobs are automated...)

Which option would a Republican choose/ how can you do nr. 4 in the current world/ which other options are there?

And politicians all fail to see this point (or just refuse to tell it)

Let's hope Trump or anyone doesn't follow the policies listed here. Yeesh. 2 is downright scary and 1and 3 are same ol' same ol' money grows on trees fantasy land. I'm sorry, but all that would be continuing in the wrong direction.

4 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Well I'm for one am honestly curious what Trump will actually do. He wasn't very specific about much, and the little he said he would do is actually not in the power spectrum of the president.

I would expect to see Obamacare dead and gone very, very quickly.

While I generally like the idea of a public healthcare system, forcing everyone to buy insurance or get fined caused the cost of insurance to skyrocket, while the premiums took a nose dive, and lead many to do exactly what I did:

Drop our health insurance and just eat the fine because it's just cheaper that way and we're healthy enough that we can live without the insurance.

That should have never happened, and the sooner I can get my pre-Obamacare policy back (assuming it ever comes back), the better.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that he's a CEO, not a politician, so I would high expect Trump to start downsizing and streamlining the government, which could either translate to a lower tax tax burden on the average citizen because there's not as much need for taxation on wasteful spending - or we see funds refocused to programs that need it and get new stuff.  Basically the US gets a Margaret Thatcher.

Ultimately though, unless the US starts producing more STEM graduates from college, makes college affordable, and helps those of us (like myself) that still carry college debt, we're not going to change much in the long term. That's a tough problem to tackle because too many are afraid of screwing with the Department of Education - even though the US education system is garbage when compared to the rest of the world.

24 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Drop our health insurance and just eat the fine because it's just cheaper that way and we're healthy enough that we can live without the insurance.

That's the stupidest thing I heard in my life.

48 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Basically the US gets a Margaret Thatcher.

As a Scotsman all I can say is getting Margaret Thatcher means you are fucked

29 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

That's the reality of a personal medical policy in the Seattle area.

It's simply not worth having a personal policy with the one provided by my work.  All of this thanks to Obama.

My experience from Obamacare has been that my health insurance coverage DECREASED.

7 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

As a Scotsman all I can say is getting Margaret Thatcher means you are fucked

Maybe not a good comparison then >.>

America needs to change to a better healthcare system, one where it is about saving lives not making obscene amounts of money.

2 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

America needs to change to a better healthcare system, one where it is about saving lives not making obscene amounts of money.

Agreed.  That's why Obamacare needs a complete rework... although a do over is probably more time efficient.

6 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

After seeing the NHS recently, I'm not sure a public healthcare system works any more.

3 minutes ago, Doro said:

After seeing the NHS recently, I'm not sure a public healthcare system works any more.

It can if you run it better.  Far to much money is wasted.  They spend an estimated £4 million a year on Homeopathy.

Hospitals use contracted cleaners that are not allowed to clean up bodily fluids, as they are not trained to do it safely, meaning that nursing staff end up having to do the cleaners job.  

So it has it problems but it is so much better than having to get insurance or you are screwed if you become ill.  

Also for those that want private healthcare that is still an option.

I have nothing but praise for the NHS, I can say for sure that my dad is still alive to day thanks to the service it provides.

59 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Also for those that want private healthcare that is still an option.

This is the key part here, the NHS may not be perfect but it certainly provides a lot more choice than many other countries. I choose to pay private healthcare (my employer makes a contribution as well) because I can afford it but for those that can't the NHS is (literally) a life saver.

I live in one of the biggest "lefty" nations out there, Canada, and I can tell you, Trump would be a big improvement over what we have here.  All Trudeau is good for is having selfies taken of himself.  Coming from the land of moron, do-nothing politicians (Canada), I can safely say that you have a winner in Trump.  He's not just a self-loving dirtbag, he's a man of action, and I do believe he will clean shit up in Washington and get things done for Americans.  He's not going to start any wars, that is horseshit fear-mongering lies propagated from the American left.  Buckle up for a lot of civil unrest for the next while.  The globalist puppeteers are having the time of their lives right now ...

1 hour ago, cossieuk said:

They spend an estimated £4 million a year on Homeopathy.

thumbnail_45643.jpg

This planet needs a fucking cleansing.

4 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Basically the US gets a Margaret Thatcher.

I honestly laughed out loud. You're joking, right?

Money is never spent where it's needed most. Frontline services. Look at the Local Authorities in England, especially the Labour run ones. I know for a fact that the former Chief Executive of Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council earned £175000/year for virtually doing fuck-all. Did she make sure the service ran smoothly? Did she fuck. They were always hiring new service directors for services they just thought up(probably mates got jobs), and while this was going on, frontline staff was cut. I know that during the recession, Wigan Council cut something like 800 jobs. Where were these, you ask?

Frontline services.

3 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Huh? Why is that? If your insurance skyrockets and you don't feel you need it, it is a rational thing to do.

17 minutes ago, LordVorontur said:

Money is never spent where it's needed most. Frontline services. Look at the Local Authorities in England, especially the Labour run ones. I know for a fact that the former Chief Executive of Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council earned £175000/year for virtually doing fuck-all. Did she make sure the service ran smoothly? Did she fuck. They were always hiring new service directors for services they just thought up(probably mates got jobs), and while this was going on, frontline staff was cut. I know that during the recession, Wigan Council cut something like 800 jobs. Where were these, you ask?

Frontline services.

It is so stupid that any civil servant is paid more then the PM.  They can argue as much as they like about the amount of work they have to do and how many things they have to keep control over, but none of that will match what  the PM is tasked to do