LasraelLarson

Have you voted? ;)

1,056 posts in this topic

Here is a US map of the election results. if you drill down on the states you can see that Clinton support is ~90% city based.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/president?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region&region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

Earlier I said "angry white male" but perhaps that would be better said "angry country folk".  I will bet Brexit saw a similar dynamic with "remain" support concentrated around cities like London and Manchester.

Good! Us country folk have more guns and y'all city folk have boxed yerselves up real good fer easy pickins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accumulated a handful of these during the election lol... got to +1000 at a point ..... 

 

KEK bookies... KEK!! 

Trump bet win.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fittybolger said:

I will bet Brexit saw a similar dynamic with "remain" support concentrated around cities like London and Manchester.

Yup. The remain support was in the cities, where all the ethnics and liberals live. Although Scotland, a notoriously xenophobic and independent bunch, mostly voted to keep the EU boot on their throats, too. Sometimes I think Scots do things just to prove people wrong.

"I take it you'll all be voting for freedom?"

"OH AYE? WEALL WATCH THASS YA CHUBBY BASSA!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other point with xenophobia and Trump...  we need to secure the border with Mexico so ISIS (or another terrorist group) doesn't sneak a small nuke over the border, then use our own interstate system to get the nuke to a city within a week and detonate it.

There's enough groups out there that hate America enough to seek out a loose nukes and do just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Huh? Why is that? If your insurance skyrockets and you don't feel you need it, it is a rational thing to do.

No, 

Because once you are sick you go to the emergency room and have other people pick up the bill for you, and that bill is a lot higher than an original bill with a regular doctor would have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Darmokk said:

No, 

Because once you are sick you go to the emergency room and have other people pick up the bill for you, and that bill is a lot higher than an original bill with a regular doctor would have been.

Or if you aren't critically sick, you go get some of the behind the counter Sudafed, Tylenol, or whatever and soldier through it, and then pay for it all out of pocket?

Oh wait, did that, still was cheaper than buying insurance.

The point that you can't debate is that my experience without personal insurance (note the word PERSONAL) has resulted in more money in my pocket, while I still have the mandatory policy from work.  Or if I'm between contracts, don't waste money on it.  That means I went from two health insurance policies down to only one - and one while I am actively on contract.  Which is a reduction in my health insurance coverage.

Then there's small businesses that are getting screwed over  because they don't have the margins to both operate and provide health insurance.  Which is actually an economical growth retardant.

Factor in all of the poor that buy health insurance when they don't have the money to afford it, and Obamacare is forcing the poor to become even poorer.

Obamacare's a complete disaster, and we will all be better off once it's gone.  That said, the idea of a government run healthcare system does have it's merits, so the idea shouldn't be abandoned - the implementation doesn't need to blow more chunks than a drunk worshiping the Porcelain God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darmokk said:

No, 

Because once you are sick you go to the emergency room and have other people pick up the bill for you, and that bill is a lot higher than an original bill with a regular doctor would have been.

I'm not saying you go your whole life without insurance but many many people go for long stretches of their lives without having to go the emergency room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

I'm not saying you go your whole life without insurance but many many people go for long stretches of their lives without having to go the emergency room.

And that's exactly why it should be optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Then there's small businesses that are getting screwed over  because they don't have the margins to both operate and provide health insurance.  Which is actually an economical growth retardant.

 

That stupid health insurance through employer scheme is actually doing the damage here. Who ever came up with that idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darmokk said:

That stupid health insurance through employer scheme is actually doing the damage here. Who ever came up with that idea?

The same idiots that passed Obamacare......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all you Americans, who voted Trump in, I have a short, authentic anecdote.

Many years ago, my daughter, then 13, went with me to a party. A friend of mine who had too much to drink, decided to replay the "Thumb in the Mouth Scene" from Cape Fear. I have to say my daughter had a bit of a shock, but fortunately her teeth didn't go through the bone, and so his thumb could be saved. 

Happy groping to all of you, in your beautiful country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooo your friend's a bit of a dick and it backfired on him.

 

Sounds like what happened to all the snowflakes calling anyone who disagrees with them a "racist" and whatnot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly.

When you tell a bunch of normal people that they are racists, bigots, misogynists, rapists, islamophobes, homophobes, xenophobes, and every other insult under the sun because they dare to have a different opinion than you, eventually the normal people give the real bigots a giant FUCK YOU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Exactly.

When you tell a bunch of normal people that they are racists, bigots, misogynists, rapists, islamophobes, homophobes, xenophobes, and every other insult under the sun because they dare to have a different opinion than you, eventually the normal people give the real bigots a giant FUCK YOU!

The latest in the pseudo-liberal excuses and insults being thrown about is that those racist voter ID laws got in the way of a Clinton win, so only the racists (anyone who has at least some money and happens to have white skin, that is) could really vote. According to them, black people are so poor and stupid, they can't go down to the DMV and get ID, so they're using those laws as an excuse to keep black people down. Plus, blacks are also all criminals and, since criminals can't vote, it's getting in the way of more Clinton votes.

And they call Trump voters the racists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a major embarassment for the US lmao.

Shit, most countries you HAVE to have ID to begin with.  The billionaires and Kenny's family (KENNY'S VERY POOR! HE'S VERY POOR!) all have ID's, you don't show it, you don't vote... or buy booze... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you tell a bunch of normal people that they are racists, bigots, misogynists, rapists, islamophobes, homophobes, xenophobes, and every other insult under the sun because they dare to have a different opinion than you, eventually the normal people give the real bigots a giant FUCK YOU!

 

Live long, and prosper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Obamacare's a complete disaster, and we will all be better off once it's gone.  That said, the idea of a government run healthcare system does have it's merits, so the idea shouldn't be abandoned - the implementation doesn't need to blow more chunks than a drunk worshiping the Porcelain God.

Complete disaster for whom?  Who is this "we" in your "we will all be better off once it's gone?  You mean the 20+ million Americans who now have health coverage that didn't before?  The current program needs work, to be sure--and a lot of the problem is the actual health insurance companies themselves (gee, who would have thought that?), but it will cost billions--BILLIONS--to fully repeal the law.  And guess what, YOU will be paying for it.  

Not having health insurance is just as stupid and irresponsible as not having car insurance.  You're not 16 (at least, I'm assuming).  Time to grow up and act like an adult.

Yes, I've gone years at at time not needing any type of health insurance coverage, but when the shit hit the fan--and it will for almost everyone at some point in their lives--I was thankful I had it. 

23 minutes ago, Doro said:

The latest in the pseudo-liberal excuses and insults being thrown about is that those racist voter ID laws got in the way of a Clinton win, so only the racists (anyone who has at least some money and happens to have white skin, that is) could really vote. According to them, black people are so poor and stupid, they can't go down to the DMV and get ID, so they're using those laws as an excuse to keep black people down. Plus, blacks are also all criminals and, since criminals can't vote, it's getting in the way of more Clinton votes.

And they call Trump voters the racists.

You should do some research into the actual number of polling stations that were shut down (it's not just about voter ID laws) and which communities were directly affected, for starters.

Also, Trump's argument to the black community was that they "never had it worse than they do now" and "what else do you have to lose".  But sure, it was the liberals making the excuses and the insults. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Papi said:

1. You should do some research into the actual number of polling stations that were shut down (it's not just about voter ID laws) and which communities were directly affected, for starters.

2. Also, Trump's argument to the black community was that they "never had it worse than they do now" and "what else do you have to lose".  But sure, it was the liberals making the excuses and the insults. 

1. Means absolutely nothing. As long as other polling stations are open, the chance to vote is still there. Unless, of course, the implication is that black people are too stupid to be able to get to a different polling station.

2. The first is a blatant attempt at massaging the victim complex of black people to win votes (something many politicians do, though Trump went overboard). The second is Trump saying they get nothing from Democrats, so why not vote Republican. Not even remotely connected to what I'd posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Doro said:

1. Means absolutely nothing. As long as other polling stations are open, the chance to vote is still there. Unless, of course, the implication is that black people are too stupid to be able to get to a different polling station.

The way it works around here is you are assigned to a particular polling place, where they have a book with all the names for that polling station and copies of your signature in it and you have to sign in next to the entry for your name before you get your ballot.  I'm not sure what the process is to try to vote at another place but I don't think it's just a matter of walking in and voting the way they have it set up, there are probably hoops to jump through.  (Not disputing anything you said, btw, just telling what the process is here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Doro said:

1. Means absolutely nothing. As long as other polling stations are open, the chance to vote is still there. Unless, of course, the implication is that black people are too stupid to be able to get to a different polling station.

2. The first is a blatant attempt at massaging the victim complex of black people to win votes (something many politicians do, though Trump went overboard). The second is Trump saying they get nothing from Democrats, so why not vote Republican. Not even remotely connected to what I'd posted.

1. It actually means a lot.  What if the only available polling station for that community is now 80-100 miles away?  It makes a difference, whether you see it or not is irrelevant (i.e. perspective).  I'm not even going to comment on that last sentence.

2. Both are insults.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, warspeech said:

The way it works around here is you are assigned to a particular polling place, where they have a book with all the names for that polling station and copies of your signature in it and you have to sign in next to the entry for your name before you get your ballot.  I'm not sure what the process is to try to vote at another place but I don't think it's just a matter of walking in and voting the way they have it set up, there are probably hoops to jump through.  (Not disputing anything you said, btw, just telling what the process is here).

Ah I see. I was under the assumption that there were provisonals or something like that. Plus, the whole voting online thing. I often forget that while the voting process here in the UK might be extremely simple, the US ones might have state-based differences between them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

The same idiots that passed Obamacare......

Well, no.

This thing is from the 1920s and 1930s. Both parties have effectively reversed direction since then. Obamacare supporters today argue that obamacare is the best you can do given that framework, and they would not have chosen that framework if they had a choice.

I also have to remind you that the law that emergency rooms have to treat everybody, even when they can't pay, has been passed in the 1980s when there was a Republican president and both houses of congress were had a republican majority.  This is a major factor driving up healthcare cost in the US since people with no insurance just delay going until they are ripe for the ER.

As you can see, it is very hard to pin this mess on any particular party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Well, no.

This thing is from the 1920s and 1930s. Both parties have effectively reversed direction since then. Obamacare supporters today argue that obamacare is the best you can do given that framework, and they would not have chosen that framework if they had a choice.

I also have to remind you that the law that emergency rooms have to treat everybody, even when they can't pay, has been passed in the 1980s when there was a Republican president and both houses of congress were had a republican majority.  This is a major factor driving up healthcare cost in the US since people with no insurance just delay going until they are ripe for the ER.

As you can see, it is very hard to pin this mess on any particular party.

Small correction. Democrats controlled the House from 1955-1995. Republicans did control the Senate from '81-'87 though.

People now delay getting health insurance until they are sick - hence why insurance premiums are going up by double digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Small correction. Democrats controlled the House from 1955-1995. Republicans did control the Senate from '81-'87 though.

People now delay getting health insurance until they are sick - hence why insurance premiums are going up by double digits.

Uh. That latter issue is why you force people into health insurance. You cannot have people only get health insurance when they need it. Yes, that is socialist, but it is mainly your younger self being socialist with your older self.

None of this stuff can work when people like  Almagnus1 delay getting insurance until they know they need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Papi said:

1. It actually means a lot.  What if the only available polling station for that community is now 80-100 miles away?  It makes a difference, whether you see it or not is irrelevant (i.e. perspective).  I'm not even going to comment on that last sentence.

2. Both are insults.  

1. And what if tigers were fish? It's pointless speculating when we're talking communities that are mostly in cities. They aren't closing polling stations across a whole city and public transport exists.

2. Great, Trump makes a stupid comment, so that means liberal racism in the form of low expectations magically isn't racism anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now