Sign in to follow this  
Doro

Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor 2)

That's right, WB are making a sequel to the 2 map lore-breaking game Shadow of Mordor. Let's have a look at the trailer, and a run-down of all the lore-breaks in this.

First off, we have Talion forging himself a new ring. Yup, he's gone up to Mount Doom, been given some space to work, and now he's making a ring... by just hammering it on a magic anvil. A ring to challenge the One, made with no moulds, no tools other than a hammer, and no forge. Just bang, bang, bang, oooh magicky blue runes! The eagle-eyed among you might have spotted Gollum sitting on a rock in the bottom left corner, watching him make it. "Muh second precious".

After that, it looks like ghosty Celebrimbor has been taken back by Sauron, since he got separated from Talion with a hammer-strike on the new ring. It seems that the new ring will be Talion's source of power, instead of being some weird half-dead, half-alive, possessed-by-a-benevolent-wraith-spirit ranger.

Then we get a shot of the ground under some orcs and trolls breaking with fire and BOOM, big balrog outta fuckin' nowhere! From all the info released, they've called this a Tar-goroth Balrog. Doing some rather crappy and quick translations, it could mean something like "high terror enemy" Balrog. Whatever it's called, it's still a fucking Balrog right there in Mordor. As cool as it looks, it's basically the strongest fucking thing they could pick, and supposedly Talion kills it, since it never gets seen in the Lord of the Rings.

Following a little more face time with purple creepy woman, we then see what is probably the Witch King riding a flying creature. Not a fellbeast, no, but a "Carnan drake". Again, Monolith are replacing the standard creatures with their own designs, just as they did with wargs becoming caragors, and trolls becoming graugs. Maybe they didn't want it to be too samey?

But the Witch King isn't alone. He's got these flying faces in helmets surrounded by glowing green light. They land amongst the people getting their shit wrecked, and it looks like they're actually Ringwraiths! Turns out the Nazgul don't even need steeds, they can just smoky fly all about the place on their own.

The trailer ends with Talion missing his invasive butt-buddy, and saying he's coming for Sauron to get his bro-fo-life back. From everything shown, it looks like the mini-bosses will be the Nazgul, whereas before it was a couple of nobodies called the Tower, the Hammer, and the Fridge or some shit?

And, finally, in true WB form, they're got pre-orders out already. The game won't be out for another 6 months, but they'll happily take your money in the meantime. Gameplay isn't going to be shown for another couple of days, but that doesn't matter. Buy now!

Now all we need to get is WB only allowing sycophants to rate and review the game before release, and threaten them with legal action if they don't give it favourable ratings, and the whole mess of the first game is repeated.

Did I miss anything?

The first game was a massive success, this was always going to happen.  Most people who will buy this dont care about the lore.

The game was massively lore breaking, the sequel will be just as bad, no doubt about it. Game was a shit ton of fun though.

13 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

Game was a shit ton of fun though.

It got better when you gained the ability to teleport about the place (between long-distance enemies). But then it suddenly stopped. Two small maps, the same old fights over and over, and no actual boss battles (seriously, they thought the last boss would be best as a three button quicktime event?).

If I get it in a crate of games like the last one, I'll give it ago. But there's no way they're getting money from me when the last one felt so unfinished but STILL had DLC.

Yeah, it did end far too suddenly. I think I got mine in a humble bundle as well. I enjoyed it a lot though, some fun mechanics and the nemesis systems was really interesting.

But according to wikipedia it can't be lore-breaking. They even consulted Peter Jackson: "In order to create an accurate environment and be consistent with the books written by Tolkien, the developer consulted several people from Warner Bros., and Peter Jackson, the director of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film series."

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Thrabath said:

But according to wikipedia it can't be lore-breaking. They even consulted Peter Jackson: "In order to create an accurate environment and be consistent with the books written by Tolkien, the developer consulted several people from Warner Bros., and Peter Jackson, the director of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film series."

Haha... with Warner and Jackson in the loop the Perfesser (Hobbit spelling) need not fear his wonderful world will be raped / exploited.

Gameplay video is out.

Looks like it's going to be more of the same, really.

If you're looking for coherent, non-lore breaking and/or level headed fantasy video games then  Lord of The Ring IP games are not where you should look for it.  Not anymore.

22 hours ago, Doro said:

Gameplay video is out.

Looks like it's going to be more of the same, really.

If it not broke dont fix it