Sign in to follow this  
Altreg01

And that didn't last long

Right around the beginning of this year I decided to dust off my trusty lotro account and give it a whirl.  While hardly ground breaking the content around and after Helms Dump wasnt too bad and some was quite enjoyable.

Then I hit level cap.  Holy hell is this endgame flower picking/FA grind fucking horrible.  Made me wish I was doing anything else in the world. I could not believe how unenjoyable and grindy it was.

Run one FI, then 4 dailies in North Ithelien <spelling> then pick flowers.  The amount of grind to put essences in this slottable armor is unreal.

I was really somewhat ok with the game until that point. I could even stomach getting forced to do a handful of those shitty Epic Battles in the book quests.  I dont know what they were thinking with this but its such a lame ass horrible idea.  I did manage to get my mini somewhat geared, but the though of doing all of that endless mindless grind again turned me right off.  I renewed my sub and cancelled that bitch before I could get billed for my second month.

What a disappointment.  I knew lotro was a shell of itself, but heard it was improved, and yes it was improved a bit, i found it enjoyable enough to not only take some of my spare time but also some spare cash. Then came the flowers. Endless endless flowers. Endless dailies and endless FIs.

It was like going back to your ex girlfriend...oh yeah, thats why I dumped her ass. Lesson learned :(

7 minutes ago, Altreg01 said:

Lesson learned :(

The lack of a decent end-game has been one of the many problems in LotRO for a while now. New players don't know all their effort will be for nothing at the end, so they're shit out of luck for now. Old players already know, and either can't be bothered with the grind again or are just faffing around "to see Middle-earth".

It's a massive put-off in any MMO, let alone one that's a desiccated husk in a coffin.

Whilst I do not wish to defend the game from memory; I myself have recently returned. Yes NI dailies are repetitive, but you are misleading if you intimate that that is all to do in game. The game is what it is... casual and fit for a more laidback audience these days, but there are a lot worse options out there. The LI grind is not bad at all considering titles available. Have you played Archeage?

10 hours ago, TaffyIX said:

Whilst I do not wish to defend the game from memory; I myself have recently returned. Yes NI dailies are repetitive, but you are misleading if you intimate that that is all to do in game. The game is what it is... casual and fit for a more laidback audience these days, but there are a lot worse options out there. The LI grind is not bad at all considering titles available. Have you played Archeage?

what the hell....I thought something stank in here ;)

You shouldn't play it for the end game. It has 3 advantages: Less grinds, less grinds and less grinds ;)

I just started in North Ithilien and I think I only do the quests and maybe a couple of times some grinds. I don't have the time for T2 raids, so better gear isn't needed, so I just skip endgame, and do quests en epic line.

This is what essentially has me stuck at level 95.  

I want to get to max level, retouch bases with some of the old contacts on my friend list that still play, heck—go for a dash of role-play or maybe, just maybe, properly reconnect with a kinship or two that I used to be in or know about that are still kicking about, but what i recall after exploring my spell of Middle-Earth for a day or week was being able to go at dungeons or have something meaningful at end-game to do.

There just isn't, though.  And also: to hell with these Epic Battles.  I had a kind soul help me do the first one... and now I have 7 remaining? And even as I ran around attending to some rope or ballista or whatever I still failed it, twice.  I can't be bloody bothered hassling with guides in order to do something just to be able to continue with the story.

I so want to return to LoTRO, even knowing it's not all that glamorous as it once was... but every time I do, I get hit by a nostalgia bug and then remember that the nostalgia is a much better affliction than to see the eerieness that is LoTRO's current "endgame" today.

2 hours ago, Aegledor said:

This is what essentially has me stuck at level 95.  

I want to get to max level, retouch bases with some of the old contacts on my friend list that still play, heck—go for a dash of role-play or maybe, just maybe, properly reconnect with a kinship or two that I used to be in or know about that are still kicking about, but what i recall after exploring my spell of Middle-Earth for a day or week was being able to go at dungeons or have something meaningful at end-game to do.

There just isn't, though.  And also: to hell with these Epic Battles.  I had a kind soul help me do the first one... and now I have 7 remaining? And even as I ran around attending to some rope or ballista or whatever I still failed it, twice.  I can't be bloody bothered hassling with guides in order to do something just to be able to continue with the story.

I so want to return to LoTRO, even knowing it's not all that glamorous as it once was... but every time I do, I get hit by a nostalgia bug and then remember that the nostalgia is a much better affliction than to see the eerieness that is LoTRO's current "endgame" today.

Hmmm... Not even at endgame and already shooting it down. Must be really bad.

I think that nostalgia is about wanting to go back to when Lotro was at it's prime when you 'sinked into it'.  That is long gone though and is never coming back.

Lotro 2007-2010.  RIP.

So I wrote in a previous  thread about how I had returned to play some lotro. My intention was to at least catch up with the epic story. I then came across some "epic battle" as part of the epic quest that involved helping Aragorn retake some keep or castle (Pelagir maybe?), it was tedious, easy, slow and overall just about the most unchallenging and worst game play experience of my life but I was getting through it, I was about 20 minutes in to this shit and I think approaching the end when for no apparent reason I was booted out of the instance with no option to re-enter. The only obvious option I had was to restart the whole shitty thing.

I did however find another option and logged out and cancelled my sub. It was all going so well up to that point :(

Big battles are just worse versions of defensive skirmishes