Sign in to follow this  
RedMaggu

How DEAD is LOTRO to YOU?

See all those caps in the title?  This is serious right lol

Let me explain.  U20 just hit live, on these forums, as far as I am aware, no one has discussed it at all during beta.  In fact this forum seems SUPER quiet like no one really gives a fig about LOTRO.

No one commenting on release notes, performance, nothing.

Have we all just moved on?  I'm just keeping a toe dipped in for shits and giggles, I have the test client installed on my PC but nothing else, no intention of playing live.

This forum just seems a bit like TOO QUIET.

I think there's a few who play (not me) but for most here they've deleted it long ago. The long long drought of raids/instances after RoR (such as they were) eventually took its toll, imo. For others, it was the class changes with HD (although, imho, they could have been overlooked by many if there were the forementioned instances available). Not those Epic Battles crap.

I haven't done any gaming in ~18 months or so.

I log in occasionally and I would play (buy a sub to boot)... but I don't have the time. My kin is dead as well...

Zzzzz. Eh? Still playing.

You know in zombie movies, where they take shots of an empty city that's in ruins, with a load of slowly shuffling undead wandering aimlessly through the streets? That to me is LotRO, with the few players left shambling about the husk.

I'm still playing, luckily always 0,5-2 updates behind the game, so I mostly miss the lag-festivities ;)

Been playing through all the story lines in SWTOR (6 of 8 done) but plan to go back and catch up to the epic on my main at some point  (I actually like being an expansion behind - when I get to it - not so many people competing for the same mobs/locations/resources)

I'm still playing a bit, in older areas mostly.  I did the latest epic on my main but I'm not going to buy the new update.  My plan is to see the epic through to the end of the Ring part of the story, then stop.

48 minutes ago, warspeech said:

I did the latest epic on my main but I'm not going to buy the new update.  

Probably for the best.  The new update is a hot mess.  Typical poor design decisions have led to the new areas being unplayable--and that's not hyperbole, it is literally unplayable (unless of course you don't mind your skills taking 15 seconds to fire off or don't mind waiting for an NPC to take a full 60 seconds to respond to you).  They had to do a restart yesterday which I think helped for about 5 minutes or so?  World chat is full of people complaining about the performance and the official forums have people who normally don't post coming out of the woodwork to put SSG on blast.  At this rate, the game will be lucky if it gets to Mordor (expansion).  If it does in fact happen--if this update is anything to go by--it will be unplayable as well.  It doesn't bode well for the future of SSG post Mordor.

They have made some stupid decision in the past, added some grinds and created the perfect recipe for a disaster

Like:

1. Create a huge grind
2. Create one place where you have relative good drops for the grind
3. Make it possible to have much more loot when in a group/raid then playing solo

And what happens? Everyone groups up at the same location. SURPRISE! :P

rip-clipart-cemetery-clipart-Grave_with_Lotro 2007-2010

That is how dead Lotro is to me.

Lotro took heavy punch with some parts&decision made in Siege of Mirkwood (too small expansion, introduction of cheap grind content = Skirmishes), then it took an mortal wound with F2P transition.  Some medicine was applied (content patch instance cluster) but it was like painkiller for cut off leg. F2P and some other changes (EU servers transferd to US, instance join panel, Instance scaling, extension of Skirmish) were way too great.    Few months after F2P Lotro finally died for me.

I havent played Lotro in years and I am never going back.

• Upvote 1

Still play from time to time, but only my main, all my alts will stay where they are

10 hours ago, Thrabath said:

I'm still playing, luckily always 0,5-2 updates behind the game, so I mostly miss the lag-festivities ;)

+1

On 22/03/2017 at 8:37 PM, FundinStrongarm said:

I think there's a few who play (not me) but for most here they've deleted it long ago. The long long drought of raids/instances after RoR (such as they were) eventually took its toll, imo. For others, it was the class changes with HD (although, imho, they could have been overlooked by many if there were the forementioned instances available). Not those Epic Battles crap.

Apologies. I answered for others mostly.

I stopped playing a year or more ago after a couple years of sparse play. I only last week stopped following LotRO on Twitter and Facebook.

I'm still playing, but only doing landscape. I've left all kins and consolidated everything on one server. Like Warspeech, once the ring is destroyed, I'll probably stop playing altogether. About the only thing I might stick around for is the Scouring of The Shire. I have no real interest in SSG's interpretation of lands to the South or East.

The beginning of the end for me was the introduction of imbued LIs and Essence Gear. Leveling LIs have always been a grind, but the literally 100's of scrolls required to max out the items is ridiculous. I was always fine with the grind for the best armour and jewelry, since other, decent gear has always been attainable, but there's no more decent gear - nothing craftable, nothing barterable, nothing but Essence Gear, and a huge, onerous, and frustrating grind to get even purple essences. And anything better requires a store purchase (yes, supposedly, the solution needed to craft them can drop, but it's so rare, I've only picked up about 20 since essences were introduced).

And Gondor has been mostly a disappointment. Other than some really good moments in the Battle of Pellenor, the quests have been lackluster, especially those inside Minas Tirith. In many ways, I feel like the questing system has just gotten stale - click on 10 of these, kill 10 of those. The guys developing the content have been at it so long, it seems like it's all done on autopilot. The new region is pretty much the same thing with a new skin.

Interesting replies, it all sums up my own feelings and thoughts on the game.

It's just sad to see things get so bad that even here we aren't motivated all that much to discuss a new update, it's kinda just "meh" at this point.  I've been using these forums on and off since I guess Stangard / Rohan ish?  Normally always an update would have some commentary, this was just noted for me at least as one of the first where no one had said much at all almost like it wasn't happening.

Hope everyone is happy in other games or real world endeavours! lol

Don't think I can look away totally from LOTRO, I must have a twisted mind, I wait for something new to hit BR have a look, shake my head, then wait for the live rage on the forums - it never fails.  Maybe need to find myself some help I'll be found on street corners waiting for car crashes next. :(

Wait, LotRO's server's are still online?

I moved on to other games because the LotRO dev team can't figure out that they should do MAJOR updates once a quarter.... not 2-3 times a year.

That and the game looks like shit compared to other titles... I mean, even WoW has better graphics than LotRO now...

9 hours ago, Trisswyn said:

On its last legs, the last update is a disaster.

I don't know about the first part of the sentence, but the second one sure is true. 

Nah, it's far from dead. I play several hours on my free days. There is always something to do. Daily box runs, roving threat raids, landscape quest raids, new resource instance 6-mans etc. The performance issues people claim to have, just have some common sense to get an i7 and disable shadows, frills and lower visible distance.

But you wouldn't know anything about it, this is the 'I hate Lotro' forum after all. I've never seen so many sad sacks of shit, still here commenting on a game they stopped playing in 2010. Like, move on already. You got nothing better to do? 

For people who actually want to talk about the game and not whine about it, the new update seems like a good direction for the game. They have managed to make Mordor believable. I'm looking forward to the actual Mordor expansion. 

1 hour ago, Box_runs_105_pst said:

Nah, it's far from dead. I play several hours on my free days. There is always something to do. Daily box runs, roving threat raids, landscape quest raids, new resource instance 6-mans etc. The performance issues people claim to have, just have some common sense to get an i7 and disable shadows, frills and lower visible distance.

But you wouldn't know anything about it, this is the 'I hate Lotro' forum after all. I've never seen so many sad sacks of shit, still here commenting on a game they stopped playing in 2010. Like, move on already. You got nothing better to do? 

For people who actually want to talk about the game and not whine about it, the new update seems like a good direction for the game. They have managed to make Mordor believable. I'm looking forward to the actual Mordor expansion. 

Hey look, it's another troll from the OF trying to look down on us.  Time for you to be introduced into why I think LotRO is a steaming pile of shit now.

I was active until Gondor hit, and then stopped playing when a game that was of inferior graphics quality to everything else I play was crashing about every 15 minutes.

How on earth a user experience that bad ever got pushed out to the playerbase is beyond me, but it's indicative of a studio that never cares.  From what I have heard, I cannot reasonably expect to ever complete Gondor without LotRO being a crashy mess of an experience, and that's running on a system with these specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i7 3770K
16GB RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 770 4GB

I should not have any issues with LotRO with the above stats, that I do shows that the LotRO client codebase is so poorly maintained that the studio doesn't have a prayer of fixing the issues.

Rather, I'll play an MMO that's listed in http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ - that is the top 100 games by activity on Steam.  Those games have studios that care about them, not ones that are milking them for all they're worth.  That MMO, which is FFXIV, also runs flawlessly on my hardware.

All of this coming from a player that has stuck with LotRO from Forochel to Gondor, used to be active in the PvMP on Elendilmir back when the Creeps were a true force to be reckoned with, but went into retirement as literally every single player I knew went on to other games because they saw the direction LotRO's would be heading far sooner than I ever did.

When you put that much time and effort into a game, and then have the game company be negligent about maintaining the game, is it any wonder that so many here are toxic towards LotRO and Turbine/Standing Stone?

4 hours ago, Box_runs_105_pst said:

*obvious bait*

796.jpg

4 hours ago, Box_runs_105_pst said:

Why do you think that an i7 with its more cores and hyperthreading will help a single-threaded game?

1 hour ago, Darmokk said:

Why do you think that an i7 with its more cores and hyperthreading will help a single-threaded game?

Exactly. My brain does more hyperthreading than LOTRO does.

2 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

Exactly. My brain does more hyperthreading than LOTRO does.

Well... you do dual wield battle axes... bigly battle axes at that.

lol a new Kaby Lake 7700k overclocked and SLI 1080ti... yup... that is what LOTRO needs!!!

For those playing and enjoying LOTRO = good for you! I would like to play as well if I had the time...

But don't rag on those who simply can't endure the OBVIOUS and MULTIPLE issues LOTRO is burdened with in it's current state.