Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedMaggu

How DEAD is LOTRO to YOU?

49 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Why do you think that an i7 with its more cores and hyperthreading will help a single-threaded game?

No, but that hardware lets me do work and experiments with Hyper-V on my home desktop.  I do agree it's completely overkill for most any game, though.

That said, it does prove a point about how LotRO completely fails to take advantage of modern hardware because it was designed for XP (probably Windows 2000 or 98SE truth be told), and was never updated to work with more modern Windows versions.

On 2.4.2017 at 6:54 PM, Box_runs_105_pst said:

get an i7 and disable shadows, frills and lower visible distance

One would think the folly in that should be pretty obvious.

SNy

54 minutes ago, SNy said:

One would think the folly in that should be pretty obvious.

SNy

Yes, pretty much disables any rational reply option. 

19 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Well... you do dual wield battle axes... bigly battle axes at that.

lol a new Kaby Lake 7700k overclocked and SLI 1080ti... yup... that is what LOTRO needs!!!

For those playing and enjoying LOTRO = good for you! I would like to play as well if I had the time...

But don't rag on those who simply can't endure the OBVIOUS and MULTIPLE issues LOTRO is burdened with in it's current state.

It's the whole having to have 7-8 different conversational threads going at one time when I'm doing Advice Session Supervision.

I log in to LOTRO whenever there's new content. I play for a month then move on. It affords a degree of fun and the narratives are still well thought out. It's no longer the apple of my eye, gaming wise, as it was in 2008 but then again nothing is. Laurelin is quite a busy server so the picture that Doro paints isn't really the case at present. It was though a year ago. The whole Standing Stones games thing has rekindled interest to a degree.

Guild Wars 2 is far more "dead" to me. Heart of Thorns simply took the game in a direction I didn't want to go in, so I ceased playing. if they release an expansion that is comparable to the base game, I may return.

Yeah as a couple replied I'm not here moaning because my PC cant run the game and I think LOTRO is at fault for MY performance issues..... 

I have a very very capable machine, CPU, memory, GPU, SSD, It is not my fault I log in and because of where I am in game, I CTD.

Performance of the game is crap and it IS on LOTROs side - end of arguement.

But moving on, I don't know if maybe I'm just older and don't want to go on massive gaming benders, or is it that LOTRO has moved to a game design that is just boring?  Maybe a bit of both.  I had an INCREDIBLY tight kin, we were a small family of about 20 players that REALLY knew each other, and even so one by one we walked away.

I have test access so will see what Mordor looks like but if it's a shit mess like The Wastes with day 1 exploits and so on I wouldn't bet on SSG's new publisher just pulling it soon.  It's embarrising,

As for why we keep moaning about a game we don't play - for me I just find it hard to look at something that COULD have been awesome, and the mess ups are pretty shocking.   I'd love for things to be better but both perfomance, and game design are getting worse.  Grind and Lag Online should be the new name

There's always that little spark of hope that Mordor will be a good expansion, which will be there until it gets extinguished by the game-play.

Performance wise, I've not had a crash since I came back, and there's been times when I've been playing for a few hours. I've not gotten to Dagorlad just yet tho, so not sure what will be the case when I do. Just questing doesn't seem to be too much of a strain on resources tho, I'm sure it would be different in group settings.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, Moderate Peril said:

I log in to LOTRO whenever there's new content. I play for a month then move on. It affords a degree of fun and the narratives are still well thought out. It's no longer the apple of my eye, gaming wise, as it was in 2008 but then again nothing is. Laurelin is quite a busy server so the picture that Doro paints isn't really the case at present. It was though a year ago. The whole Standing Stones games thing has rekindled interest to a degree.

Guild Wars 2 is far more "dead" to me. Heart of Thorns simply took the game in a direction I didn't want to go in, so I ceased playing. if they release an expansion that is comparable to the base game, I may return.

This is a good point, as much as I often shit on the current state of Lotro, of all the MMOs I have ever played the only one I still occasionally log in to is Lotro.

I tired the last WoW expansion and wasn't interested, SWTOR same, GW2 I lost interest in years ago, Rift is a shadow of its former self, Archage is just too grindy. Lotro I do still occasionally log in to chat to friends and check out new content, seems strange when the others on the face of it seem like better games?

I only came to this site to see if there was any update on the licensing - i had a vague memory of it expiring in 2017... I am holding on to hope that Turbine releases the rights, and another company can have a go.

5 hours ago, smehcoons said:

I only came to this site to see if there was any update on the licensing - i had a vague memory of it expiring in 2017... I am holding on to hope that Turbine releases the rights, and another company can have a go.

They already did. Standing stone games run Lotro now 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:24 PM, LordVorontur said:

There's always that little spark of hope that Mordor will be a good expansion, which will be there until it gets extinguished by the game-play.

If the expansion is solid enough, and SSG is smart enough, hopefully it pulls in enough revenue to finance a client update.

That would go miles towards getting players back - as CTDs should never exist in a game, especially one that's being actively worked on.

15 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

That would go miles towards getting players back...

Would it, though? Most people still playing are barely discussing the game, so how would anyone who no longer plays ever know about a minor update? Shit, I come here every day, and even I don't know where the game is at any more, what update we're on, or even who's currently making it. There's no chance for LotRO to ever get players back when the people that have left don't bother keeping tabs on it.

16 hours ago, Doro said:

Would it, though? Most people still playing are barely discussing the game, so how would anyone who no longer plays ever know about a minor update? Shit, I come here every day, and even I don't know where the game is at any more, what update we're on, or even who's currently making it. There's no chance for LotRO to ever get players back when the people that have left don't bother keeping tabs on it.

In theory, it would allow LotRO to get a newer client, and then have a relaunch of sorts as "Lord of the Rings: The Fourth Age", or something along those lines.

Granted, that would assume the devs would actually have the technical knowledge or enough capital to fund the creation of an updated client.... but this isn't Square Enix, and the title is all but dead at this point.  SSG may be better served moving on.

Edit:
Yeah, got the bright idea to download and update the client via steam, with my plugins, and the client fell over after consuming ~2.7GB of RAM in Minas Tirith.  That's 4-5x as much RAM as FFXIV was using, a paltry 600-700MB while I was standing in the endgame city of Idyllshire during the PST primetime.  Having both side by side on my desktop, I'm just dumbfounded at how washed out and bland LotRO looks when compared to FFXIV, even when I'm supposed to be in awe of something as awesome as Minas Tirith.

Sadly, that client is the biggest issue LotRO needs to overcome, and I doubt it will ever do so.

Lotro is so dead to me that seeing the movies on TBS used make me want to log in and play again, now I wont even watch the movies because they remind me of how shitty this game has become and how much Turbine and SSG destroyed my favorite game.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, RedMaggu said:

See all those caps in the title?  This is serious right lol

Let me explain.  U20 just hit live, on these forums, as far as I am aware, no one has discussed it at all during beta.  In fact this forum seems SUPER quiet like no one really gives a fig about LOTRO.

No one commenting on release notes, performance, nothing.

Have we all just moved on?  I'm just keeping a toe dipped in for shits and giggles, I have the test client installed on my PC but nothing else, no intention of playing live.

This forum just seems a bit like TOO QUIET.

It's so dead to me that I only check this site every once in a while to see if the game has finally been shut down.

As it should be.

On 4/2/2017 at 7:19 PM, fittybolger said:

Well... you do dual wield battle axes... bigly battle axes at that.

lol a new Kaby Lake 7700k overclocked and SLI 1080ti... yup... that is what LOTRO needs!!!

For those playing and enjoying LOTRO = good for you! I would like to play as well if I had the time...

But don't rag on those who simply can't endure the OBVIOUS and MULTIPLE issues LOTRO is burdened with in it's current state.

You need that fancy hardware so you can watch netflix, skype with someone, listen to spotify, play gta5,  do some autocad(for shits and giggles), encode some 4k video and microwave a burrito while you wait for lotro to reload after a crash and your morale bar to fill up because no one has vitality.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:19 AM, RedMaggu said:

I have test access so will see what Mordor looks like but if it's a shit mess like The Wastes with day 1 exploits and so on I wouldn't bet on SSG's new publisher just pulling it soon.  It's embarrising.

The rep farm wasn't an exploit.  They just did what they always do best and drastically underestimate.  No one had to do any game breaking tricks or convoluted schemes to get them.  All they had to do was get out there and kill stuff.  They didn't seem to realize that all those people grouping up in a small area would cause performance issues ::cough, wildermore, cough::.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, Almagnus1 said:

In theory, it would allow LotRO to get a newer client, and then have a relaunch of sorts as "Lord of the Rings: The Fourth Age", or something along those lines.

Granted, that would assume the devs would actually have the technical knowledge or enough capital to fund the creation of an updated client.... but this isn't Square Enix, and the title is all but dead at this point.  SSG may be better served moving on.

Edit:
Yeah, got the bright idea to download and update the client via steam, with my plugins, and the client fell over after consuming ~2.7GB of RAM in Minas Tirith.  That's 4-5x as much RAM as FFXIV was using, a paltry 600-700MB while I was standing in the endgame city of Idyllshire during the PST primetime.  Having both side by side on my desktop, I'm just dumbfounded at how washed out and bland LotRO looks when compared to FFXIV, even when I'm supposed to be in awe of something as awesome as Minas Tirith.

Sadly, that client is the biggest issue LotRO needs to overcome, and I doubt it will ever do so.

You really should stop comparing Square with Turbine/SSG and furthermore FFXIV and Lotro.  They aren't even in the same ballpark.  It's like comparing minesweeper to Crysis 3.  I wouldn't even go so far as to say if SSG had Square money it would have turned out any different.  They had the backing of WB and it went in the toilet.  Then again WB has their hands in so many assholes it wouldn't surprise if they buy out Ford so they can make chinese cars with Superhero names.

6 hours ago, Amenhir said:

You really should stop comparing Square with Turbine/SSG and furthermore FFXIV and Lotro.  They aren't even in the same ballpark.  It's like comparing minesweeper to Crysis 3.  I wouldn't even go so far as to say if SSG had Square money it would have turned out any different.  They had the backing of WB and it went in the toilet.  Then again WB has their hands in so many assholes it wouldn't surprise if they buy out Ford so they can make chinese cars with Superhero names.

Actually, it's a comparison that's getting made on Steam a bit, especially when someone wants to try an MMO.

So I'm going to continue to make it, as FFXIV's success is what LotRO should have had if Turbine hadn't of flubbed it so badly.

Edit:
That and early access for Stormblood (4.0) starts on 6/16 so it's kinda taking forefront as HYPE!!!!!

5 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Actually, it's a comparison that's getting made on Steam a bit, especially when someone wants to try an MMO.

So I'm going to continue to make it, as FFXIV's success is what LotRO should have had if Turbine hadn't of flubbed it so badly.

Edit:
That and early access for Stormblood (4.0) starts on 6/16 so it's kinda taking forefront as HYPE!!!!!

When does your job at Square start?

3 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

When does your job at Square start?

When was the last time you were seriously hyped up for something from LotRO?

5 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

When was the last time you were seriously hyped up for something from LotRO?

I don't get seriously hyped up about any video game.  However, saying that FFXIV is better than lotro is like saying your Ferrari is better than my pinto.  No shit buckwheat, time to take that needle off the record.  I would also like to clarify that better is subjective when to comes to anything other than technical.  FFXIV looks pretty but from my time playing it the story was shit and I didn't care about any of what was going on.  I am glad however that I was able to rescue that flameballs super awesome scissors.

5 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

I don't get seriously hyped up about any video game.  However, saying that FFXIV is better than lotro is like saying your Ferrari is better than my pinto.  No shit buckwheat, time to take that needle off the record.

True... but it's more in the forefront because we're getting more classes, more main story quests, and finally heading into completely new territory that's not being recycled from 1.0.  I mean, can you blame me for being excited about it?

The hype is real!!!!! =D

5 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

I would also like to clarify that better is subjective when to comes to anything other than technical.  FFXIV looks pretty but from my time playing it the story was shit and I didn't care about any of what was going on.  I am glad however that I was able to rescue that flameballs super awesome scissors.

Was that 1.0 or A Realm Reborn?

1.0 sucked hard core (which is why FFXIV offlined while it was being rewritten and remade into A Realm Reborn)... but I'll spare the rest of the board more rambling on that point...

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

True... but it's more in the forefront because we're getting more classes, more main story quests, and finally heading into completely new territory that's not being recycled from 1.0.  I mean, can you blame me for being excited about it?

The hype is real!!!!! =D

Was that 1.0 or A Realm Reborn?

1.0 sucked hard core (which is why FFXIV offlined while it was being rewritten and remade into A Realm Reborn)... but I'll spare the rest of the board more rambling on that point...

It was realm reborn.   I got sent on a quest to help some woman force some hair stylist to do her hair, but he would only do it if you found his super awesome scissors of pink love ponies or some shit.

31 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

It was realm reborn.   I got sent on a quest to help some woman force some hair stylist to do her hair, but he would only do it if you found his super awesome scissors of pink love ponies or some shit.

Ah, yeah... you get a lot of really screwy quests sub 30 because that's how a lot of the game features are introduced to the player as there's a really long tutorial for a lot of the game features.  That one is for the FFXIV equivalent of the barber.