Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedMaggu

How DEAD is LOTRO to YOU?

38 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Why do you think that an i7 with its more cores and hyperthreading will help a single-threaded game?

No, but that hardware lets me do work and experiments with Hyper-V on my home desktop.  I do agree it's completely overkill for most any game, though.

That said, it does prove a point about how LotRO completely fails to take advantage of modern hardware because it was designed for XP (probably Windows 2000 or 98SE truth be told), and was never updated to work with more modern Windows versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2.4.2017 at 6:54 PM, Box_runs_105_pst said:

get an i7 and disable shadows, frills and lower visible distance

One would think the folly in that should be pretty obvious.

SNy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, SNy said:

One would think the folly in that should be pretty obvious.

SNy

Yes, pretty much disables any rational reply option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fittybolger said:

Well... you do dual wield battle axes... bigly battle axes at that.

lol a new Kaby Lake 7700k overclocked and SLI 1080ti... yup... that is what LOTRO needs!!!

For those playing and enjoying LOTRO = good for you! I would like to play as well if I had the time...

But don't rag on those who simply can't endure the OBVIOUS and MULTIPLE issues LOTRO is burdened with in it's current state.

It's the whole having to have 7-8 different conversational threads going at one time when I'm doing Advice Session Supervision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I log in to LOTRO whenever there's new content. I play for a month then move on. It affords a degree of fun and the narratives are still well thought out. It's no longer the apple of my eye, gaming wise, as it was in 2008 but then again nothing is. Laurelin is quite a busy server so the picture that Doro paints isn't really the case at present. It was though a year ago. The whole Standing Stones games thing has rekindled interest to a degree.

Guild Wars 2 is far more "dead" to me. Heart of Thorns simply took the game in a direction I didn't want to go in, so I ceased playing. if they release an expansion that is comparable to the base game, I may return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah as a couple replied I'm not here moaning because my PC cant run the game and I think LOTRO is at fault for MY performance issues..... 

I have a very very capable machine, CPU, memory, GPU, SSD, It is not my fault I log in and because of where I am in game, I CTD.

Performance of the game is crap and it IS on LOTROs side - end of arguement.

But moving on, I don't know if maybe I'm just older and don't want to go on massive gaming benders, or is it that LOTRO has moved to a game design that is just boring?  Maybe a bit of both.  I had an INCREDIBLY tight kin, we were a small family of about 20 players that REALLY knew each other, and even so one by one we walked away.

I have test access so will see what Mordor looks like but if it's a shit mess like The Wastes with day 1 exploits and so on I wouldn't bet on SSG's new publisher just pulling it soon.  It's embarrising,

 

As for why we keep moaning about a game we don't play - for me I just find it hard to look at something that COULD have been awesome, and the mess ups are pretty shocking.   I'd love for things to be better but both perfomance, and game design are getting worse.  Grind and Lag Online should be the new name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always that little spark of hope that Mordor will be a good expansion, which will be there until it gets extinguished by the game-play.

 

Performance wise, I've not had a crash since I came back, and there's been times when I've been playing for a few hours. I've not gotten to Dagorlad just yet tho, so not sure what will be the case when I do. Just questing doesn't seem to be too much of a strain on resources tho, I'm sure it would be different in group settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 6:52 PM, Moderate Peril said:

I log in to LOTRO whenever there's new content. I play for a month then move on. It affords a degree of fun and the narratives are still well thought out. It's no longer the apple of my eye, gaming wise, as it was in 2008 but then again nothing is. Laurelin is quite a busy server so the picture that Doro paints isn't really the case at present. It was though a year ago. The whole Standing Stones games thing has rekindled interest to a degree.

Guild Wars 2 is far more "dead" to me. Heart of Thorns simply took the game in a direction I didn't want to go in, so I ceased playing. if they release an expansion that is comparable to the base game, I may return.

This is a good point, as much as I often shit on the current state of Lotro, of all the MMOs I have ever played the only one I still occasionally log in to is Lotro.

I tired the last WoW expansion and wasn't interested, SWTOR same, GW2 I lost interest in years ago, Rift is a shadow of its former self, Archage is just too grindy. Lotro I do still occasionally log in to chat to friends and check out new content, seems strange when the others on the face of it seem like better games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only came to this site to see if there was any update on the licensing - i had a vague memory of it expiring in 2017... I am holding on to hope that Turbine releases the rights, and another company can have a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, smehcoons said:

I only came to this site to see if there was any update on the licensing - i had a vague memory of it expiring in 2017... I am holding on to hope that Turbine releases the rights, and another company can have a go.

They already did. Standing stone games run Lotro now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2017 at 0:24 PM, LordVorontur said:

There's always that little spark of hope that Mordor will be a good expansion, which will be there until it gets extinguished by the game-play.

If the expansion is solid enough, and SSG is smart enough, hopefully it pulls in enough revenue to finance a client update.

That would go miles towards getting players back - as CTDs should never exist in a game, especially one that's being actively worked on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

That would go miles towards getting players back...

Would it, though? Most people still playing are barely discussing the game, so how would anyone who no longer plays ever know about a minor update? Shit, I come here every day, and even I don't know where the game is at any more, what update we're on, or even who's currently making it. There's no chance for LotRO to ever get players back when the people that have left don't bother keeping tabs on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Doro said:

Would it, though? Most people still playing are barely discussing the game, so how would anyone who no longer plays ever know about a minor update? Shit, I come here every day, and even I don't know where the game is at any more, what update we're on, or even who's currently making it. There's no chance for LotRO to ever get players back when the people that have left don't bother keeping tabs on it.

In theory, it would allow LotRO to get a newer client, and then have a relaunch of sorts as "Lord of the Rings: The Fourth Age", or something along those lines.

Granted, that would assume the devs would actually have the technical knowledge or enough capital to fund the creation of an updated client.... but this isn't Square Enix, and the title is all but dead at this point.  SSG may be better served moving on.

Edit:
Yeah, got the bright idea to download and update the client via steam, with my plugins, and the client fell over after consuming ~2.7GB of RAM in Minas Tirith.  That's 4-5x as much RAM as FFXIV was using, a paltry 600-700MB while I was standing in the endgame city of Idyllshire during the PST primetime.  Having both side by side on my desktop, I'm just dumbfounded at how washed out and bland LotRO looks when compared to FFXIV, even when I'm supposed to be in awe of something as awesome as Minas Tirith.

Sadly, that client is the biggest issue LotRO needs to overcome, and I doubt it will ever do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0