Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarantula

Lotro is so dead to us that there is not even...

32 posts in this topic

... a thread about the 10th Anniversary yet.

So here goes:

https://www.lotro.com/en/10-year-celebrations

The only thing I am a bit interested in is the Scavenger Hunt.

A Time to Celebrate!

break.png

"Looking in a mirror he was startled to see a much thinner reflection of himself than he remembered: it looked remarkably like the young nephew of Bilbo who used to go tramping with his uncle in the Shire; but the eyes looked out at him thoughtfully. 'Yes, you have seen a thing or two since you last peeped out of a looking-glass,' he said to his reflection. 'But now for a merry meeting!'"

JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, 1954-1955

break.png

For ten years we have had the honor of bringing you the timeless world of Middle-earth. That's right: we can hardly believe it ourselves, but this April is LOTRO's 10th anniversary! We will be updating this page as the month goes on with all the news and events that will be going on to mark this momentous occasion!

As always, thank you for being amazing Citizens of Middle-earth! Here's to yesterday, today, and the future of LOTRO!

2007_LOTRO_poster_websmall.jpg

Special 12 hour
Live Stream

Join Jerry "Cordovan" Snook for a tour down memory lane on April 25th. Enjoy chats from Developers, gameplay, giveaways, and more! Make sure to follow us on Twitch to get notified as we go live. https://www.twitch.tv/lotrostream

Watch live video from LOTROstream on www.twitch.tv

Chance Thomas Reminisces

We all know Composer, Chance Thomas, and the remarkable work that he's brought to the world of LOTRO. His soundtrack is as legendary as the tale it helps to tell. He's been kind enough to pick some of his favorite pieces from our history and give us some of his memories about working on, presenting, and composing them. Starting April 15th we'll be posting a video a day to our YouTube channel for you to listen to and enjoy well into the future!

Anniversary Event

Anniversary:
Scavenger Hunt

Starting on April 20th enjoy our annual Anniversary Event with expanded fireworks at the party tree (seriously, you have to see these!), quests, events and more!

A new event for 2017! Lasting from April 20th – July 13th, every week you'll unlock three new quests. Each quest brings us back to the places we have been, and gets us some cool stuff in the process.

To start, visit Mr. Waldo Rumble at the party tree in Hobbiton!

break.png

"Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come."

JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, 1954-1955

break.png

GIFs and Images

We really wanted to think on where we've been, the places we've built and seen, and the experiences that we've created. Here are to some of those memories!

Thoring's Hall, LOTRO Hobbiton, LOTRO
Bree, LOTRO Weathertop, LOTRO
Rivendell, LOTRO  

break.png

LotRO's transformation has been much more like Sméagol to Gollum than Frodo to Ring-bearer.

I'm interested in seeing what the scavenger hunt is all about too, but I have a feeling that SSG will put some kind of grindy spin on it that pisses people off.

I don't know what, exactly, and I hope I'm wrong about that, but I don't get the feeling that "Fun" and "Celebration" is the first thing they think of these days when they add new content.

I've actually been playing more because of the upcoming anniversary. On the 12th April, it was 10 years since I created my first 5 characters. I'm currently taking Vorontur through North Ithilien.....

Well, the anniversary is  getting off to a typical Turbine start:

10 year rewards complaint thread - dragon fireworks not going over too well:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653054-Dissapointed-in-SSG-i-e-10-year-giftbox&p=7714010#post7714010

Scavenger hunt, a limited-time-only event, locks out lower-level players (link started a few posts in once people saw what it looks like):

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653108-Anniversary-Scavenger-Hunt-Level-requirement&p=7714884#post7714884

There are 3 x 10 "year" deeds that give a title, each deed path has content that is lvl gated. For example, one path send you to The Dead Marshes; the other to Cross-roads in North Ithilien; the easiest "Year 1" has lvl 60 bounty quests from the dwarf in Esteldin. 

One of the "Year 2" quests requires to complete 10 reflecting pool instances...

8BNsKBp.jpg

So yeah, this will take forever, even on a single character.

The thread complaining about the 10-year gifts just got locked.

Happy Anniversary!

2 hours ago, warspeech said:

The thread complaining about the 10-year gifts just got locked.

Happy Anniversary!

I'm surprised they let it run that long

Here is a link to a thread with some pictures of new rewards:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653113-Scavenger-Hunt-Quest-Reward-Pictures

Many people complaining that they didn't get a horse for playing 10 years.... but then there was this:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653129-OMG-10-Year-Steed

And then there is apparently this:

"Get a free Reveller's Gilded Cloak with the Coupon Code CORDOVANMAN, now through April 28th!"

I logged in and did the Scavenger Hunt year 1 to 3. Some quests are a bit grindy, especially those where you have to visit locations all over Middle-earth. The ones visiting taverns in The Shire and Bree are less of a hassle.

The easiest way to get tokens is just to do the Beer fight in Thorin's Hall, as it has the quickest cooldown.

Many folk have so many tokens from previous years, they can simply exchange them and get a lot of the new anniversary rewards immediately. 

I spent a couple of hours online and earned enough for the Steed of the Unflagging Dragon. It's only 40 tokens. 

C95bgZdXgAAuNQP.jpg:orig

For the 10th Anniversary, I was curious and decided to find and reinstall LotRO via Steam.

And then promptly watched LotRO eat it hardcore in Minas Tirith again... while FFXIV was running in the background.

Why should LotRO crash after consuming more than 2.7GB while FFXIV was running stable and only used 600GB RAM?

#LotROsDead

I don't understand why people who play 10 years don't have a character even near the lvl cap

And I also don't understand why they expect to be able to do everything with their low lvl character. A anniversary questline that visits all the iconic locations/ moments will visit all those locations and not only those in low-lvl areas.

I doubt there are many people that have been playing actively over 10 years that dont have a max level character.  There may be some that only RP and have never leveled up because of that.  Other than that there will be some that started playing 10 years ago but stopped and come back every once in a while and play for a few hours.  They are unlikely to buy quest packs and expansions any more so havent reached max level

The Scavenger Hunt is a complete mess.

The Year 2 quests were sort of understandable, since I really doubt there are any original developers left working on the game, and the ones who designed the quest  didn't know the Red Pass & Retaking Weathertop were originally fellowship-only quests. However, it's unforgivable that QA didn't know enough to test whether the quests were available.

The Year 3 quests, though? Requiring people to go into gated areas like Caras Galadhon, Moria & Mirkwood, and even into instances? What were they thinking.

Well, obviously, they weren't.

2 hours ago, Talisman said:

The Scavenger Hunt is a complete mess.

The Year 2 quests were sort of understandable, since I really doubt there are any original developers left working on the game, and the ones who designed the quest  didn't know the Red Pass & Retaking Weathertop were originally fellowship-only quests. However, it's unforgivable that QA didn't know enough to test whether the quests were available.

The Year 3 quests, though? Requiring people to go into gated areas like Caras Galadhon, Moria & Mirkwood, and even into instances? What were they thinking.

Well, obviously, they weren't.

What's wrong with quests in those gated areas?

2 hours ago, FundinStrongarm said:

What's wrong with quests in those gated areas?

Only characters that have unlocked those areas can do them.

Exactly, and there are quests to complete in Carn Dum, in a couple of Moria Instances, Sammuth Gul (Mirkwood) & even in the Forges of Isengard. These are places a level 10 or 20 character - and in many cases, a level 50 or 60 - just cannot go.

And I saw on the Forums that there are quests for Year 4 in skirmishes. Attack at Dawn was listed, which means that F2P or Premium players can't complete that leg of the quest unless they've purchased the content.

I've kind of enjoyed the scavenger hunt.

The easiest "Year 3" sends you to Moria, the top of Minas Tirith (like if is "memorable" to visit that laggy monstrosity), Caras Galadhon, Nar's Peak...

All paths have some kind of restriction: reputation, level, own quespacks, expansions, mithril coins for traveling, now grouping (Carn, Dum, Sammath gul, The Foundry, Dome of the Stars, Suri-Kyla, etc). Besides, the design of the quests gets old fast, there are quests that send you to locations you already visited in previous years.

I think the biggest problem is that the people who usually do festivals, play them in several characters, not all of them capped or with enough level to travel to lvl +100 zones. Then there are the completionists, those who wanted to get all titles. It was expectable that many of them are pissed. People, who usually don't go to the forums, showed up to complain.

Bottom line they screwed it and they know it, but they are far from recognize it.

I still think that in a visit to the history of Lotro you can't just visit the low-lvl areas, but you have to visit all. Those areas are also part of the game and the history of the game.

Carn Dum was thé 6-man instance during SoA, you can't not visit that place in a tour in my opinion

5 hours ago, Urwendil said:

Only characters that have unlocked those areas can do them.

5 hours ago, Talisman said:

Exactly, and there are quests to complete in Carn Dum, in a couple of Moria Instances, Sammuth Gul (Mirkwood) & even in the Forges of Isengard. These are places a level 10 or 20 character - and in many cases, a level 50 or 60 - just cannot go.

And I saw on the Forums that there are quests for Year 4 in skirmishes. Attack at Dawn was listed, which means that F2P or Premium players can't complete that leg of the quest unless they've purchased the content.

I understand only characters that have unlocked them can do them. So what? It's a look back on where the game has been over the last 10 years. Are you expecting every quest have to have you visit Hobbiton and Bree?

Any completionist is already going to have a max level character, no? I really don't understand the bruh-ha-ha over optional 10-year anniversary quests when they lead you to all the places the game has been over the last 10 years.

51 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

I understand only characters that have unlocked them can do them. So what? It's a look back on where the game has been over the last 10 years. Are you expecting every quest have to have you visit Hobbiton and Bree?

Any completionist is already going to have a max level character, no? I really don't understand the bruh-ha-ha over optional 10-year anniversary quests when they lead you to all the places the game has been over the last 10 years.

I think this is spot on - almost anyone playing for more than a short time will have or will soon have capped characters if they want them.  The anniversary is aimed at the longer time players - and is completely optional.  The completionists already will find they need to buy content and get to high levels 

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

It isn't just a "look" back, in many cases it's making you replay old content.  If I go to a college reunion I don't expect to have to take Calculus classes again.

A common refrain I've seen is "I'm a casual. I'm nowhere near cap because I'm not one of those loser power levelers. I'm patient, taking my time, enjoying the story. NOW LET ME GET MY ANNIVERSARY STUFF NOW!!"