Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

Lotro is so dead to us that there is not even...

6 hours ago, warspeech said:

It isn't just a "look" back, in many cases it's making you replay old content.  If I go to a college reunion I don't expect to have to take Calculus classes again.

As I said, isn't it a look back at where the game has been for the last 10 years? Wouldn't instances be part of that? Now, if they want you to get something off the final boss of CD or ToO I can see being mildly annoyed. Is that the case?

In some cases it might be having to do simple addition, imo, not calculus.

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

As I said, isn't it a look back at where the game has been for the last 10 years? Wouldn't instances be part of that? Now, if they want you to get something off the final boss of CD or ToO I can see being mildly annoyed. Is that the case?

In some cases it might be having to do simple addition, imo, not calculus.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653108-Anniversary-Scavenger-Hunt-Level-requirement&p=7717930#post7717930

The year 3: Trifles requires you to do an emote on an instance boss 10 separate times to complete the quest. Yeah, that's annoying, nothing mild about it.

I was expecting something along the lines of the end of Volume 2 where you go to re-bury the Mithril Axe and all the dwarves you ran into along the way come back and talk to you about the things you did together.  "Hey, remember when we did that thing?  That was cool, wasn't it? Here's something to remember it by".

But this is "Hey, remember when you did that thing?  Go do it again! And go do all those other things again too!   And we've got 10 years worth of random  stuff like this for you to do again!"

• Upvote 1

The whole 10 year thing smacks of MoL.  This is entirely my OWN opinion and experience of him, given some MANY years in alpha testing... many major updates get put up for testing or festivals, and I will quickly say "but, this just doesn't work, because XYZ"  as an alpha tester I'll be told direct from MoL "We can't please everyone all the time..."  A hippy kinda answer anyway.  Even if I was constructive, and he will say that all the time.  A polite way to say "this is what you're getting"  And he ALWAYS replied on story driven elements, narratives, or episodic content.  IE  I asked him when he was online about stats and the essence system, he passed me on to another dev, basically he had no idea and couldn't care much less.

That would be my guess to why a story driven part of the game is so fractured from what you need to experience it - MoL JUST does story.

He's great at epics but ask him to build a toon to do the 10th anni, yeah good luck!

Actually MoL said he had nothing to do with the scavy stuff, being busy with other things:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653054-Dissapointed-in-SSG-i-e-10-year-giftbox&p=7714776&highlight=#post7714776

(Principally, though, I agree with you; he's as frustrating a quest designer (especially in quest flows and space/time usage) as great a story crafter.)

This thing smells like an intern or underexperienced bright young dev with marvelous ideas, yet without the in-depth knowledge of the game and its history.

My take on the matter, from the OF:

As it stands, the labeling of these quest chunks by "years" makes no sense whatsoever. It would only be meaningful, as suggested above, if they were actually grouped by the years of the game, increasing in level range each chunk.

Clicking dozens of generic hanging books without as much as a text printed on screen; the same "truly a great/tall/deep/terrible monument" text pasted all over...

Hastily planned, underdeveloped, not tested at all. Typical of late LOTRO and I'm afraid what's to come.

The SSG staff are capable of eloquently dodging all criticism, ferociously defending their position and pretending as everything is going great. Surely they're all well educated, smart people (and I make no sarcasm here). Would that they used their talent to reflect upon the criticism of the caring vocal minority, instead of basking in the too freely given praise of the majority, and at least strove to uphold the quality of the game to that of pre-RoR content, if not improve it. Unfortunately though, they're buried in heaps of false positive feedback (which, no doubt, goes hand in hand with revenue figures for the time being) and all kinds of criticism invoke nothing but the instinct of defending their stance at all cost.

Well, I've already come to accept not to expect much, if at all, and go along as long as it goes on frown.png

Happy decennial dear LOTRO. I hope you survive longer.

(Just FtR & just in case, my main main, being a semi-completionist, can do all of it...)

7 hours ago, warspeech said:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653108-Anniversary-Scavenger-Hunt-Level-requirement&p=7717930#post7717930

The year 3: Trifles requires you to do an emote on an instance boss 10 separate times to complete the quest. Yeah, that's annoying, nothing mild about it.

I was expecting something along the lines of the end of Volume 2 where you go to re-bury the Mithril Axe and all the dwarves you ran into along the way come back and talk to you about the things you did together.  "Hey, remember when we did that thing?  That was cool, wasn't it? Here's something to remember it by".

But this is "Hey, remember when you did that thing?  Go do it again! And go do all those other things again too!   And we've got 10 years worth of random  stuff like this for you to do again!"

So you make a clicky on your skill bar of the appropriate emote and click it. I'd say maybe kinda lame. Nothing to get too riled up about, imo, but to each their own. Might be fun with some friends to go back and do the old instances. Or, don't do the Trifles quests if you don't want to.

And, yes, a grand remembering would have been cooler for sure.

I don't know, it doesn't seem that bad to be honest. Some of the requirements are a bit grindy and a bit too much time spent travelling around but if you plan out your routes it's not too bad.

I feel like if you are really celebrating a 10 year anniversary then you will likely have a character capable of doing most of these. If you have only been around for a year or so and don't have a max level character yet then you probably were not the intended audience for a 10 year anniversary celebration.

A lot of things to complain about in Lotro but this doesn't seem that big a deal to me to be honest, I actually extended the sub that I intended to cancel so that I could complete this, it's actually kind of relaxing to take a break from whatever I'm currently playing (Typically ME:A or Overwatch if anyone is interested) and just spend an hour or so on progressing these a bit further.

Do they have stuff devoted to the Sap™ years.  A whole set of quests where you are told to go fuck yourself and then get banned.  Cant have a 10 year celebration without him

On 4/30/2017 at 6:42 PM, Altreg01 said:

Do they have stuff devoted to the Sap™ years.  A whole set of quests where you are told to go fuck yourself and then get banned.  Cant have a 10 year celebration without him

Those quests already exist.  They're called "The Official Forums, Brought to You by Cordovan".

Just now, psalm8818 said:

Those quests already exist.  They're called "The Official Forums, Brought to You by Cordovan".

Cordovan is nowhere near as bad as Sapience was.   

8 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Cordovan is nowhere near as bad as Sapience was.   

Yeah, he really is.

The only difference between Cordovan and Sapience is that Cordovan deletes valid criticisms before you get a chance to read them.

2 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Yeah, he really is.

The only difference between Cordovan and Sapience is that Cordovan deletes valid criticisms before you get a chance to read them.

Why don't you take this opportunity to post a nonedited or redacted example of your valid criticisms?

9 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Yeah, he really is.

I do not believe you. 

I find Cordovan to be worlds better than Sapience.