Sign in to follow this  
FundinStrongarm

Lawsuit over

Looks like the whole lawsuit thing between Tolkien estate and Warner Bros./Zaentz is over. Probably nothing changes with regard to LotRO or most anything else.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/warner-bros-tolkien-estate-settle-lord-of-the-rings-lawsuit-rights-dispute-1202123415/

There’s never been any indication that they celebrate the Fourth of July in Middle Earth, but fireworks of legal independence will be going off anyway. After a grueling five-year court battle, Warner Bros. and the estate of author J.R.R. Tolkien have settled an $80 million rights dispute over The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings.

“The parties are pleased that they have amicably resolved this matter and look forward to working together in the future,” said a statement from the estate and the studio today, with no details of the deal they finally struck. No doubt on that “amicably” part with more Rings projects in the pipeline to add to the Peter Jackson helmed trilogy that made over $3 billion at the box office.

The Tolkien estate and publisher HarperCollins filed the massive multi-million lawsuit in November 2012 against Warner Bros., its subsidiary New Line and Rings‘ Hobbit rightsholder the Saul Zaentz Co., Middle Earth enterprises division, claiming copyright infringement and breach of contract over video games, online slot machines and other digital merchandising.

“The Complaint, the Warner Amended Counterclaim, and the Zaentz Amended Counterclaim are dismissed in their entirety with prejudice as to all parties thereto,” notes a filing in federal court made by the lawyers for both sides late last week, “and no Party is entitled to recover any fees or costs (read it here)

Lord V was right. Settled out of court after all.

All the conspiracy theories about the license of LotRO coming to an end turn to dust in the wind...

Que nosam to turn up with his prediction that LotRO will wind down in 6 months...

1 hour ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Que nosam to turn up with his prediction that LotRO will wind down in 6 months...

Wouldn't that be several months after Mordor's release?

I see them setting up to leave things off there, as they probably don't have license to do much in the 4th age other than wrap up LotRO's LotR plot thread... which would be seeing everybody off as they sail to the west.  Given how slow content pacing is, 6 months is probably barely enough time to get back to Minas Tirith.....

Depends on how strict the license is. The only after 3rd age stuff Tolkien wrote is in the appendices, and if I remember correctly, that is within the license. And if he writes "the land behind Mordor is filled with enemies and is called Harad/Rhun, they have can fill what is there with their own creativity. So I think it depends on only one thing: Is their income higher than their costs or not

And we will probably see a lot more Middle-Earth-background-inspired games

On 7/6/2017 at 1:24 AM, FundinStrongarm said:

Lord V was right. Settled out of court after all.

All the conspiracy theories about the license of LotRO coming to an end turn to dust in the wind...

Now if only my powers of predictions would work with the Euromillions numbers.

A shame really.  I'd love to see a competent developer get a crack at a Tolkien MMO.  At least I've still got treasured memories of SoA and MoM before the devs torpedoed the game and the millenials took over.