Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Talisman

Morder Pre-Purchase Packages Announced

93 posts in this topic

Exclusion for any reason is still exclusion 

15 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

You're also missing a point here: sometimes it doesn't make sense for you to solo something epic, and being able to solo said epic thing actually makes it less of a threat.

Look at it this way, if the entire Mirkwood arc had allowed you to solo all the way to the top of BG, wouldn't that had made BG's LT fight a little less epic for the sake of a trivial minority of the playerbase?

Not all content has to be solo, but the main story line should have a solo option.  So have raids and such, but open up the main story to everyone

17 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

And yet, millions of players (at least going by https://ffxivcensus.com/ and the following Reddit post) tend to agree with me =/

Reveal hidden contents

Note: Due to the way FFXIV is designed, a player can role one character and have all classes (battle and crafting), so it's a valid assumption that one char = one player.

Just think how many more they could have if the didnt exclude some play styles

1 minute ago, cossieuk said:

Not all content has to be solo, but the main story line should have a solo option.  So have raids and such, but open up the main story to everyone

When you routinely go toe to toe with monsters on par with a Nazgul at full strength... does it make sense to solo that?

Yes, there are solo instances, but all of it is dictated by what makes the most sense for the plot - not what's most convenient for the player base.

1 minute ago, cossieuk said:

Just think how many more they could have if the didnt exclude some play styles

IMO they would lose far more than they gain.  FFXIV is growing and is probably the only other MMO that could possibly dethrone WoW within a couple of expansions.

8 minutes ago, Woeg said:

Exclusion for any reason is still exclusion 

Exclusion is enforcement of standards.  Not enforcing standards means your product turns to shit.

10 minutes ago, Doro said:

Not really, no.

And... how far into FFXIV have you played?

Your standards .... not other's standards..... sigh

16 minutes ago, Woeg said:

Ok, compare LotRO's general quality and client optimization to any other MMO and you'll quickly see what happens when you cater to the lowest common denominator.  All that does is destroy your game and leaves the studio unable to keep the game up to date because they can't generate enough income to afford the engineering costs incurred by updating the client.

This ain't rocket science =/

19 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

And... how far into FFXIV have you played?

I haven't, but that's beside the point. You asked me about Mirkwood.

Just now, Woeg said:

All opinion - no science or fact there

A) LotRO uses anywhere between three to five times the RAM that FFXIV uses on my desktop, and stutters pretty harshly - even though my gaming machine is practically a server (useful when working from home).

B) http://steamcharts.com/cmp/212500,39210 begs to differ. That's not counting the PSN (PlayStation Network) users or the LotRO users that aren't using Steam either.

4 minutes ago, Doro said:

I haven't, but that's beside the point. You asked me about Mirkwood.

Sorry... multitasking fail there >.>

Apples and oranges - what the hell are you actually arguing here dude ?  You like Final Fantashit XVIII (or whatever version they are on now) more than Lotro - we all get that 

But your "standards" (or opinions or play style) do not trump anyway elses - which is my point

4 minutes ago, Woeg said:

Apples and oranges - what the hell are you actually arguing here dude ?  You like Final Fantashit XVIII (or whatever version they are on now) more than Lotro - we all get that 

Point is LotRO is in the position it's in because it started catering more towards soloers than actually providing good grouping content, and basically pissed away a chance to be one of the better MMOs of all time... and it's now a complete trainwreck of an MMO that's using completely recycled art assets to the basically have the production quality of sock puppets in Mordor.

LotRO should have been so much better than it is, and a lot of it comes down to making stupid choices that cater to smaller portions of the player base while also focusing on short term gains rather than playing the long game and thriving.

But your "standards" (or opinions or play style) do not trump anyway elses - which is my point

Hey, at least I have standards.  Not all styles of play are equally valid in an MMO, and they should DEFINITELY not be treated equally.  That's how you end up with a screwed up mess like LotRO.

So basically the "premium" packs are more expensive than ever before while being more stingy with the fluff stuff than ever before....

More on how screwed up this is... compare searches for "lord of the rings online mordor" with "final fantasy 14 stormblood", specifically paying attention to the number of news outlets and articles in both searches.

It's kinda sad because it's as if the gaming industry has given up on the title as there's almost no buzz outside of the LotRO forums.  I mean, even the Steam forums are acting like the expansion is nothing http://steamcommunity.com/app/212500/discussions/ =/

If this wasn't so sad it'd be quite hilarious.

As far as the price meh a bit steep for an aging engine with likely large scale re-used assets..to each their own.

As far as the debate regarding forced grouping/soloing... my POV

Any content you create that you feel you must force a play style on your customer..your doing it wrong.  Either you marketed to broadly or designed to narrowly.   If content is good people will do what they have to to enjoy it.  If utilizing your content require lots of forcing mechanics ie grind, forced, grouping , forced pveing/pvping, forced well anything to keep it relevant...well it wasn't that good to begin with was it? Nor well targeted towards your player-base.  If a piece of content/mechanic/system you create is seen as a means to an end and not worthwhile in it's own right then perhaps game design isn't for you.

28 minutes ago, Bendin said:

As far as the price meh a bit steep for an aging engine with likely large scale re-used assets..to each their own.

Any content you create that you feel you must force a play style on your customer..your doing it wrong.  Either you marketed to broadly or designed to narrowly.   If content is good people will do what they have to to enjoy it.  If utilizing your content require lots of forcing mechanics ie grind, forced, grouping , forced pveing/pvping, forced well anything to keep it relevant...well it wasn't that good to begin with was it? Nor well targeted towards your player-base.  If a piece of content/mechanic/system you create is seen as a means to an end and not worthwhile in it's own right then perhaps game design isn't for you.

+1

28 minutes ago, Bendin said:

Except we've never yet seen multiple paths for progression that has actually worked.  Players will find the easiest way to complete something, and then just do that - as we've seen countless times in LotRO with that one instance that people ran to death..... while the other catalog of instances remained desolate.

Multiple paths for progression don't work.

Shocking prices, It looks like the ultimate cash grab. It would not surprise me if they pull the plug in early 2018

25 minutes ago, Trisswyn said:

Shocking prices, It looks like the ultimate cash grab. It would not surprise me if they pull the plug in early 2018

I agree. Looks like get as much money out - this is the last chance.  Which it is, if they don't improve the game.   

Also, I read that they are making DDO a main focus over Lotro - so they may have decided to try to keep development for DDO after this expansion for Lotro is over. Maybe the DDO client and servers are not as buggy as Lotro, so they decided to let Lotro fade away after this.

Also, I read that they are making DDO a main focus over Lotro - so they may have decided to try to keep development for DDO after this expansion for Lotro is over. Maybe the DDO client and servers are not as buggy as Lotro, so they decided to let Lotro fade away after this.

DDO's an instanced based MMO (not open world like LotRO), and there's **A LOT** of technical advantages to that style of MMO.

That and SSG has full creative freedom over how DDO progresses, so it's probably a lot cheaper than LotRO is - especially since it's based in the Eberron setting (with several levels taking place in the Forgotten Realms).

DDO just makes sense since it also better embraces the freemium business model - whereas LotRO does not.

20 hours ago, Woeg said:

That is the whole point.

I want a game in which MY and other like-minded people standards are enforced.   Those who like other stuff i.e. solo-grinds, etc can either adapt or go play something else. I don't care if they feel (rightly or wrongly) excluded.

Such thing is mandatory for any MMORPG that I am ever gonna play again.

7 minutes ago, drul said:

That is the whole point.

I want a game in which MY and other like-minded people standards are enforced.   Those who like other stuff i.e. solo-grinds, etc can either adapt or go play something else. I don't care if they feel (rightly or wrongly) excluded.

Such thing is mandatory for any MMORPG that I am ever gonna play again.

I don't think those that only know LotRO are ever going to concede that point... because they're only MMO experience is on what's effectively a failed MMO =/

Tbh I don't care. They can keep their own views.  I logged into Lotrocommunity first time in months out of curiosity.

AAA MMORPGs are atm basically dead,  there are few older titles that are doing ok-ish financially/popularity-wise (FF XIV, WoW, and F2P asian grinders such as Black Desert), but big money left MMORPGs for time being.  Not only in west mind you.  In Asia also.   Best proof.  Many consumers voted with their legs, took them awfully long, but it happened eventually.

22 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Hey, at least I have standards.  Not all styles of play are equally valid in an MMO, and they should DEFINITELY not be treated equally.  That's how you end up with a screwed up mess like LotRO.

"You're playing wrong"...

Boy, there are some exceptional levels of moronics in this thread from 2 posters regarding playstyles, but really, I'm not too surprised when it comes to one of them.

Also, failed MMO? I would think being around for 10 years is not a failure, but maybe my criteria for something being considered a failure is different to others.

3 hours ago, Moderate Peril said:

LOL Someone's triggered XD

So, you can't even write a response here, yet you have to find your own soapbox somewhere else on the 'net to do it?

Please grow a pair and try again.

32 minutes ago, LordVorontur said:

Also, failed MMO? I would think being around for 10 years is not a failure, but maybe my criteria for something being considered a failure is different to others.

1. The client has **NOT** received any major technical updates or overhaul in years
  2. Most of the landscape is built from copy and pasting the same  basic structures we have seen since at least Helms Deep, if not earlier - so there's almost no new art budget being spent there
  3. Stuff keeps getting piled on and old problems have not been addressed
  4. Windows 7 and 8 were never officially supported - let alone 10.
  5. Crash to desktops and lag are consistent problems with the client.
  6. LotRO is one of the lowest population MMOs on Steam (see http://steamcharts.com/cmp/212500,8500,323370,9900 )
  7. LotRO does not advertise - and SSG is releasing an expansion without even trying to warm up the hype engine before the release.

If that's not the very definition of an MMO that's failing, I honestly don't know what is.

2 hours ago, Woeg said:

Thank you and well said

Can you do anything other than virtue signal?