Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Morder Pre-Purchase Packages Announced

On 2017-07-12 at 1:48 PM, Almagnus1 said:

Besides, if you're going to do a collectors edition, this is what you should do: https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/436377/final-fantasy-xiv-stormblood-collector-s-edition-pc

My first thought when I saw the image for the 'ultimate expansion' was: they have taken getting to Mordor seriously, they have made statues. Until I started reading... and my mouth dropped.

What you linked here, what Stormblood offers, I had hoped they would do that for Mordor.

But no. And they haven't learned a thing: http://massivelyop.com/2017/07/14/lotro-legendarium-mordors-pre-order-is-flat-out-ridiculous/

Cordovan clearly has no clue when he is either responding on the forums or talking in a live stream. No one in that live stream had a clue and it's incredibly annoying. I don't expect we will see him here ever again.

This is the state of the game:

- The High Elf (HE) is not being included in the standard package - because: it's not part of the expansion... it was never meant to be part of the expansion.  'The HE is not included because people seemingly don't want it'. (then why include it in the $80 and $130 package?). People don't want it because it's not a class, it's a skin only.

- 'We added the ultimate package because 'the player base' indicated that it wants something like that'. Read: we are catering to the whales.

In the live stream they said 'this is for the ultimate Lotro fan', which is of course ridiculous.

- Not listing what everyone will get free with this expansion (as they used to do), regardless of whether one buys Mordor or not. For now this includes: level cap, access to the (last?) epic quest line, access to the new crafting tier BUT that tier itself will grant very few recipes, because:

- Cordovan not listing clearly how the crafting tier will work: part is accessible for everyone it seems (but this is part is very limited because many recipes are gated = grind). This gating once again makes this not an alt-friendly update. What I always enjoyed in Lotro is that people with very different play styles could play side by side. That's really gone now.

- It is also not clear what kind of relics are offered in the 'ultimate' package. Mordor relics will of course have a very different weight than a random pack with levels from 2 to say 10.

- The split: access to Mordor now ($$) or access to Mordor later ($).

- The confusion about when the HE will be released. In the live stream, Cordovan and his partner were very unclear: could be 'soon after launch' or 'winter'.

- When Mordor will be released is not particularly clear yet, as is indicated that it may also happen upto August 31. Many of us say that Mordor is not ready for launch by the end of July - BR shows us that.

- The lack of publicity around this mile stone expansion.

- Some players see a July 31 release as an 'early access', and the 'winter' availability of Mordor and the HE as the 'regular', schedule release time.

The answer 'we don't know' or 'we have to look in into this' is just so incredibly unprofessional when it's barely 2 weeks till launch.

It feels completely rushed. A new BR weekend opens tomorrow late in the afternoon - till Tuesday.

What is slowly dawning on me is that those who are left behind at SSG no longer have a clue of what happened in the past (and/or clearly no longer care). For example, what used to be included when details for an expansion would  be released. I clearly remember that every time we would get a list: this is what everyone has access too, regardless of whether you buy the content or not.

Someone is also pointing out that 2 items in the 'ultimate' package contradict each other: the ear ring that acts as an xp enhancer (and that scales as one levels up) stops working at 105, which is the level a player will reach when the Aria of the Valar is used. Now one can reason: use them on 2 different toons, but still.

Also telling is that there will be 4 races taking part in this new 'allegiance system', while there will be 6 races as of launch: Beorn and HE exist as well. That those last 2 races have no allegiance shows how incredibly hap snap Turbine/SSG is rolling out stuff. It shows me how things (Beorn) have been cash grabs that are still broken and that have not been developed they deserve.

Some say: this is the final cash grab. I think we can safely say that this is as we predicted after the game when f2p: a store driven game and it will be dragged out till Mordor, at which point the game will be unrecognizable.

Here endeth my rant. I dare to say that, in the end, SSG has completely given in to the power of the ring. Shame.

I did a lot of the Anniversary 'treasure' hunts. Enjoyed seeing a lot of places where I hadn't been in ages. The landscape and the skies continue to be awesome. I will get 'Mordor' with LP. Will be able to level up by doing The Wastes and other quests I haven't finished yet.

• Upvote 2

Another "fun" fact about LotRO, the reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/ ) has a small fraction of the subs that either WoW ( https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/ ), FFXIV ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/ ), or Guild Wars 2 ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/ ) have, and (depending on tiume of day) their active members exceed LotRO's sub count.

There's small, then there's effectively zero - and LotRO is basically the latter these days.

8 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

Boy, there are some exceptional levels of moronics in this thread from 2 posters regarding playstyles, but really, I'm not too surprised when it comes to one of them.

You got angry?

8 hours ago, LordVorontur said:

Also, failed MMO? I would think being around for 10 years is not a failure, but maybe my criteria for something being considered a failure is different to others.

Hah.  You're gonna argue now that Lotro is not for last several years a low production value game, made on a shoestring budget, with low population, bad gameplay and technical problems?

Okay.  Good luck with that.

Anyway, have fun, see ya in next several months.

8 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

LOL Someone's triggered XD

So, you can't even write a response here, yet you have to find your own soapbox somewhere else on the 'net to do it?

Please grow a pair and try again.

No Almagnus1. No one is triggered (which is a trite phrase that doesn't feature in serious debate). You simply presented me with an easy writing opportunity. Yes, I have a "soap box on the net" because I'm a writer. Funny that isn't it? I'm happy to put time and effort in to generating traffic for it.

I and others have written sufficient here to address your erroneous arguments. I have a rule these days, of not getting bogged down in lengthy, circular internet debates. And your ongoing replies validate this. But thanks for the traffic.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Can you do anything other than virtue signal?

Is he foruming wrong

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

LOL Someone's triggered XD

So, you can't even write a response here, yet you have to find your own soapbox somewhere else on the 'net to do it?

Please grow a pair and try again.

Must be really nice and pleasurable to be a jerk. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cossieuk said:

Is he foruming wrong

I didn't realize there was a wrong way (at least on this forum)  >:)

Is there any credence to the rumor that Daybreak set the pricing for this fiasco and is more involved than initially thought?

Because if so, that doesn't bode well at all.

11 minutes ago, Papi said:

Is there any credence to the rumor that Daybreak set the pricing for this fiasco and is more involved than initially thought?

Because if so, that doesn't bode well at all.

Rumor is that how the packages are put together (including the exclusion of a promised new race) mimics an expansion of Everquest in 2014 very closely.

Not sure whether this is evidence or coincidence, as 2014 is quite a few years gone now. .

On 7/13/2017 at 1:19 PM, Almagnus1 said:

And yet, MMOs like FFXIV (which has the second biggest MMO community on Reddit) force players to group up or you will not advance in the MMO as the first forced instance is at level 15 with 70 being level cap - and you are blocked on the FFXIV MSQ [Main Story Quest - aka epic book quests] until you complete that instance with area quest and feature unlocks tied directly to MSQ progress.

Maybe there's more to forced grouping than what both sides initially thought?

Just saying, I don't like to group and I don't care for the social aspect of MMOs and the pack mentality that comes along with it.  The obvious question is "why not play a first shooter game instead of an MMO?"  The answer is, it really does add to the ambience and immersion of the game knowing that guy picking flowers next to you is a real person.  I really do love the multiplayer aspect.  I just don't like being forced to be a part of it.  I'll group once a year, and I like knowing I have the choice.  That's where it ends for me (immersion and choice).

On 7/14/2017 at 8:52 PM, Tarantula said:

I will get 'Mordor' with LP. Will be able to level up by doing The Wastes and other quests I haven't finished yet.

I agree with everything in your post.  I'll wait till I can get it with LP too.  

On 7/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, Almagnus1 said:

And yet, MMOs like FFXIV (which has the second biggest MMO community on Reddit) force players to group up or you will not advance in the MMO as the first forced instance is at level 15 with 70 being level cap - and you are blocked on the FFXIV MSQ [Main Story Quest - aka epic book quests] until you complete that instance with area quest and feature unlocks tied directly to MSQ progress.

Maybe there's more to forced grouping than what both sides initially thought?

Dude would you please stop being  a shill for Square Enix.  

On 7/14/2017 at 8:28 PM, Almagnus1 said:

Another "fun" fact about LotRO, the reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/ ) has a small fraction of the subs that either WoW ( https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/ ), FFXIV ( https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/ ), or Guild Wars 2 ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/ ) have, and (depending on tiume of day) their active members exceed LotRO's sub count.

There's small, then there's effectively zero - and LotRO is basically the latter these days.

Well my daddy can bench 500 lbs with his pinkies, and my daddy knows quantum particle calculus physics, my daddy can sing opera backwards.  My daddy can beat up your daddy.  My daddy has won people's sexiest god alive award 5000 times.   My daddy built earth.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, warspeech said:

I agree with everything in your post.  I'll wait till I can get it with LP too.  

Someone on the OF has pointed out that delaying Mordor for LP is a departure of the f2p model. Interesting line of reasoning.

Crafting:

All crafted armor, weapons, musical instruments, hunter books, are gated behind the new Allegiance rep grind (the rest of all regular crafting options are available for everyone).

The number of rep gated recipes per profession differs greatly: from 3 for the scholar, 4 for the weaponsmith, to 18 for the woodworker (because of the instruments) and a few less (iirc) for the tailor (light and medium armor). Each recipe can be made in different versions, up to 6). Essence recipes are one shots, and so are teal recipes (iirc).

The recipes don't state anything about boa, so we will see whether they show up in the AH.

• Upvote 1

My history with this game is somewhat limited compared to others, but I've rarely seen such negative press and criticism as we see now about the upcoming expansion.  Even those that I would squarely put in the fanboy/girl category (and those who make money off of streaming LotRO content) are clearly unhappy.  I'd say Turbine acquired a lot of negative baggage over the years, and this transformation into SSG (which, to be fair, consists of the same people) was there chance to break free of past mistakes.  I think they've squandered any good will remaining. The past two updates under the SSG name have been weak and borderline disastrous--and this expansion roll out just reeks of a last ditch cash grab (not to mention a complete fuck you to the player base).

I don't see this game making it into 2018 (if so, it will be in maintenance mode).  I know the doom and gloom rhetoric has been spouted before, but...I think this was there last shot to turn the corner.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Someone on the OF has pointed out that delaying Mordor for LP is a departure of the f2p model. Interesting line of reasoning.

Surely it's just a reinforcement of the F2P model? They put F2P in so that they could milk people, while trying to distract VIPs with a few points here and there. Now that they've realised they've not given VIPs any content worth shit to buy for years, there's a massive stockpile of the things waiting for just such an occasion. They want to try to get VIPs to pay money for expansions again, and get that extra money from the few suckers who won't be able to wait.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? I don't exactly keep up with what little "news" there is with LotRO.

There's a lot of "this shows that they're desperate and need cash badly, we must save them!" vs. "this shows that they're arrogant and greedy, screw them" going on over the bundle pricing and the decision to delay purchase with LP till winter.

It's a "departure" if you focus on the "you can earn LP while playing and use it to get all content when it's released" model they've used up till now.  It's a "reinforcement" if you focus on the underlying shadiness of the model from day 1, which some people just don't see - they're happy to use their VIP stipend for fluff and think it's great and don't notice the slow and steady push to hit the buy button to make things easier/faster.

So tomayto, tomahto -  same damn thing in the end.

14 hours ago, Tarantula said:

Crafting:

All crafted armor, weapons, musical instruments, hunter books, are gated behind the new Allegiance rep grind (the rest of all regular crafting options are available for everyone).

The number of rep gated recipes per profession differs greatly: from 3 for the scholar, 4 for the weaponsmith, to 18 for the woodworker (because of the instruments) and a few less (iirc) for the tailor (light and medium armor). Each recipe can be made in different versions, up to 6). Essence recipes are one shots, and so are teal recipes (iirc).

The recipes don't state anything about boa, so we will see whether they show up in the AH.

I never did the rep grind for whatever that last area was - the Wastes, I think?  This one sounds like a pain in the ass too.  

It seems that Mordor is exceptionally stingy with LP for deeding now too...

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?655831-Vast-majority-of-Mordor-deeds-award-no-LP

I'm not surprised they have some mega expensive bundles. I kind of expected it, as they will need to rake in as much money as they can from the expansion pack. I don't really see it as shady business - a desperate cash grab, arrogance etc. - because a game with a small playerbase is going to have to charge a lot of money to stay afloat. Most things in life if they are not very mainstream and popular are priced at premium  - they wouldn't be available otherwise.

The people still playing obviously enjoy the game and if they want it to continue have to face reality that they are going to be paying over the odds for new content. It's a ten year old game that is no longer popular, which has, one assumes, to pay for its licensed I.P., not to mention SSG staff wages, server rental etc. as well as funding new content and the publishing costs with Daybreak.

I'm not sure if I will purchase this EP. I haven't purchased anything since the Minas Tirith Update. I can't say seeing Mordor interests me and I don't think whatever story they have conjured up will be remotely interesting.

That part about the new story is one of the reasons I'm not all that keen on getting the expansion immediately either.  I don't care about the remaining Mordor factions, it'll probably be the Rohan Thanes all over again just on the losing side.  Hard to tell one from the other and who cares anyways.

A lot of people on the OF seem to forget that HD wasn't available in the store for a month or so after launch.  It also cost over 4000tp.  This Mordor expac is only slightly more than Far Anorien was.  They clearly believe that the expac is only worth about 25 bucks and are charging for the AoV insta level item.  It's kind of stupid to think that a 25 dollar expansion they want  a minimum of 40 dollars for would be available for currency you can get from playing the game.  Grinding out 2500 LP isn't that difficult and people love putting in more time and effort into getting something for nothing than it would ever take to outright buy.  I have kinmates that are staunchly F2P and have spent a total of 15 bucks on the game in the many years they've been playing.

49 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

A lot of people on the OF seem to forget that HD wasn't available in the store for a month or so after launch.

Are you sure? I don't remember having to wait to play that abomination, and I definitely didn't pay any money for it.

32 minutes ago, Doro said:

Are you sure? I don't remember having to wait to play that abomination, and I definitely didn't pay any money for it.

I'm pretty sure it was delayed.  I remember the same shit storm when HD wasn't available right away for TP.  The whole HD launch was a shit storm.  

59 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

I'm pretty sure it was delayed.  I remember the same shit storm when HD wasn't available right away for TP.  The whole HD launch was a shit storm.  

All I can remember is that there wasn't any way to pre-purchase the previous expansions with TP, and a bit of confusion with RoR as to whether the TP purchase included the instance cluster or not. Anyone got any old threads about HD's disaster? I played so briefly after that I barely remember.

When did HD come out ?  I bought it with TP in January of 2014 - but not sure when it was released 

47 minutes ago, Woeg said:

When did HD come out ?  I bought it with TP in January of 2014 - but not sure when it was released 

20th November 2013.

No mention of any delays in putting it on the in-game store.

This was just released, and it's a joke:

https://lotro.com/en/u21-Crafting

It confirms that I saw recipes with the Westemnet guild tier (which were later removed) as requirement.

I expect that those are the recipes which are gated behind the Allegiance System. Those will be the 'best in game'.

The rest of the recipes seems to be barterable from the QM, The grind to obtain the barter items and the grind to complete the Allegiance System is the new grind for crafters... The only good thing is that the rest of the recipes is 'freely' available to the respective professions. I don't think I have seen new crafting tools though.