Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Talisman

Morder Pre-Purchase Packages Announced

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Tarantula said:

This was just released, and it's a joke:

https://lotro.com/en/u21-Crafting

It confirms that I saw recipes with the Westemnet guild tier (which were later removed) as requirement.

I expect that those are the recipes which are gated behind the Allegiance System. Those will be the 'best in game'.

The rest of the recipes seems to be barterable from the QM, The grind to obtain the barter items and the grind to complete the Allegiance System is the new grind for crafters... The only good thing is that the rest of the recipes is 'freely' available to the respective professions. I don't think I have seen new crafting tools though.

I saw that too, and couldn't believe how sparse it was.  This "meh" approach to giving details and answers to specific questions is not a good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, warspeech said:

I saw that too, and couldn't believe how sparse it was.  This "meh" approach to giving details and answers to specific questions is not a good sign.

 

I wonder whether 'no one left' cares about crafting anymore. Well done Turbi..SSG, well done.

There is almost no response about this on the OF.

Just a thought: update to the game in prep for Mordor takes 12 hours today.

Conveniently enough the forums are offline all day as well. Could this be to 'lower the forum temperature', in the hope that those who continue to express their negative opinion will 'shut up'?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to give Cordovan some credit.  The OF is full of negative threads about the Mordor pricing and launch.  He could very easily shut them all down and claim it's due to fighting or insults or whatever.  He hasn't done that save for a couple of them.  Allowing people to vent their frustrations is a lot different than how another CM handled things during the last expac roll out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tarantula said:

This was just released, and it's a joke:

https://lotro.com/en/u21-Crafting

It confirms that I saw recipes with the Westemnet guild tier (which were later removed) as requirement.

I expect that those are the recipes which are gated behind the Allegiance System. Those will be the 'best in game'.

The rest of the recipes seems to be barterable from the QM, The grind to obtain the barter items and the grind to complete the Allegiance System is the new grind for crafters... The only good thing is that the rest of the recipes is 'freely' available to the respective professions. I don't think I have seen new crafting tools though.

Seriously is that it? Why bother doing an interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Admittedly it's understandable you would forget about Beornings, SSG forgot about them immediately after releasing them." [source]

This made my evening.

SNy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SNy said:

"Admittedly it's understandable you would forget about Beornings, SSG forgot about them immediately after releasing them." [source]

This made my evening.

SNy

That thread you've sourced has more cancer in it than a Fukushima fisherman. So many blind fanboys getting all ruffled over what is effectively just a pretentious blog post, one that's much less harsh than LotRO deserves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, logging in to Lotro™ or reading Lotro™/Turbine™ related news/discussions feels like this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dorf said:

At this point, logging in to Lotro™ or reading Lotro™/Turbine™ related news/discussions feels like this:

You're about 4 years late!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They still haven't said anything about what is in Aria of the Valar, did they?

I'm in doubt if I'm going to buy it, at least it will be the $40,- version. Which, if they included the High Elf, would be a reasonable price for an expansion. You get 10 extra lvl's (okay, you get access to them if you buy it or not, but that's not very usefull without the expansion), an instance cluster, a new race and a sort of new system/ reputation grind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thrabath said:

They still haven't said anything about what is in Aria of the Valar, did they?

They have somewhere I think. The only difference is the level (95 > 105) and "level appropriate gear". No class trait, virtues or ILI catchup = trash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing that GoV/BoV thing has done is create trade and world chat spam with people trying to buy and flip them.  Everyone I know that's used one has used them for classes they already know, or they're the type of player that is pretty good with most classes.  Then they complain about having to go back and grind trait points and virtues.  I'm sure when mordor rolls out we'll see a ton of lvl 105 High Elf capts running around complaining that people are racist because they wont invite them to their raids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Everyone I know that's used one has used them for classes they already know, or they're the type of player that is pretty good with most classes.  Then they complain about having to go back and grind trait points and virtues.

Like me. Used one for my copycat main after the server merges split us into two. Took me ages to go back farm all the shit.

Oh, btw they reportedly confirmed that this new Valar flick wll be non-tradeable. Makes trash trasher I guess.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talisman said:

New Dev Interview about the allegiance system: https://www.lotro.com/en/u21-Allegiances

Quartermaster U clarified on the official stream today that these are not Dev Diaries, but preliminary to the Dev Diary. I suspect the are preliminary to nothing.

I get the feeling that someone stands behind the dev diary writer with a stopwatch, tells them they have ten minutes to produce a diary, and then says "Go!" 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Urwendil said:

Like me. Used one for my copycat main after the server merges split us into two. Took me ages to go back farm all the shit.

Oh, btw they reportedly confirmed that this new Valar flick wll be non-tradeable. Makes trash trasher I guess.

I used one for my warden on my 2nd lifetime account that I hadn't login into for 3 years, thinking I'd be ready to join endgame with an alt quickly. That was wrong ;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 4:52 PM, Urwendil said:

Like me. Used one for my copycat main after the server merges split us into two. Took me ages to go back farm all the shit.

Oh, btw they reportedly confirmed that this new Valar flick wll be non-tradeable. Makes trash trasher I guess.

 

13 hours ago, Thrabath said:

I used one for my warden on my 2nd lifetime account that I hadn't login into for 3 years, thinking I'd be ready to join endgame with an alt quickly. That was wrong ;)

I used a Blessing to catch up with some friends that were leveling in Moria. It was a mistake for 2 reason. First, the friends stopped playing soon after. Second, even with the virtues & the gear in the package, I had to complete the Moria intro & unlock the LI system, and Moria itself was not really a pleasant experience. The guys I was running with intended to do the instances on-level, but the toon was completely not ready, and it took a lot of work to get him even remotely ready.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With virtues so low you need to grind lots of slayer deeds, so how do you speed this up, buy the scrolls from the store.  Perhaps that is part of the plan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cossieuk said:

With virtues so low you need to grind lots of slayer deeds, so how do you speed this up, buy the scrolls from the store.  Perhaps that is part of the plan.  

Nah, it's to make buying the HD expac really appealing.  "You want those trait points? pony up the cash."  Two from BBs, and five from regions. I suppose you could grind out the promotion points using the Gondor BBs, but you can't get those five points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Amenhir said:

Nah, it's to make buying the HD expac really appealing.  "You want those trait points? pony up the cash."  Two from BBs, and five from regions. I suppose you could grind out the promotion points using the Gondor BBs, but you can't get those five points.

If that was the case they screwed it up that way too. Actually people (including me) asked them to auto-grant the points based on purchase but they never listened.

According to latest news this new Valar flick includes the points from the Old Anórien meta-deeds and the BBs, and 12 virtue ranks. That seems enough to cheer up some but it doesn't make it less of a rip-off for a paid (with a high price) item in my eyes (as well as others I believe).

19 hours ago, cossieuk said:

With virtues so low you need to grind lots of slayer deeds, so how do you speed this up, buy the scrolls from the store.  Perhaps that is part of the plan.  

Deed accelerators are usually abundant and cheap on the AH. I picked quite a few while farming virtues for my main #2 and two capped alts.

On 22.07.2017 at 0:02 AM, Talisman said:

 

I used a Blessing to catch up with some friends that were leveling in Moria. It was a mistake for 2 reason. First, the friends stopped playing soon after. Second, even with the virtues & the gear in the package, I had to complete the Moria intro & unlock the LI system, and Moria itself was not really a pleasant experience. The guys I was running with intended to do the instances on-level, but the toon was completely not ready, and it took a lot of work to get him even remotely ready.

The "Gift" (boosts to 50 with 4 virtue ranks) puts you at the Moria intro gate IIRC. The "Blessing" versions (0 > 95 or 50 > 95) actually grants you the "Seeker of Deep Places" and a few LIs as well as IXP pills. Yours must be the Gift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is interesting to see so many people on the official forums complaining about the pricing and content of this EP, with lots saying they do not intend to purchase it yet. I find it odd that so many genuinely seem surprised that the quality of the EP is poor and the content minimal. What were they expecting? Mordor is classic free2play LOTRO. They've been churning this kind of quality out for years.  

I think the past 6 months or so have definitely shown that the developers are actually the ones to blame for the mess that LOTRO became and not WB. The developers don't know how to do anything different than what they have been doing for years. They are still making poor, rushed, ill-thought-out content. They are still charging extortionate prices. They are still refusing to listen to their customers.

How could anyone seriously have thought that a kite cosmetic was a good and tonally appropriate idea for a Mordor pre-order perk? They don't know what they are doing. If they have any sense they will add the High Elf to the standard edition of the pre-order, and LOTRO points to the other two.

How can they call this an expansion when we have had quest packs with a similar amount of content? An expansion is supposed to have more content of all kinds - quests, items, group content, new systems, and normally a new class or race to differentiate itself from a mere update. Yet, they are claiming that the High Elf race was never meant to be part of the expansion pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A "true" expansion would in all likelihood have us see them hiring a heap of extra personnel designing about 3x new content (of what's currently in the Mordor update) while fixing or -not that I desire it but- introducing systems, while marketing it up and down and releasing it after months of testing (and hype).

This is simply Far Anórien redux, an ordinary twice-a-year content extension with promised instance cluster and raid; offered for cash, packed with junk, to grab fanboy whale money (which they appear willing to pay, all the best to them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2017 at 1:08 PM, Amenhir said:

I have to give Cordovan some credit.  The OF is full of negative threads about the Mordor pricing and launch.  He could very easily shut them all down and claim it's due to fighting or insults or whatever.  He hasn't done that save for a couple of them.  Allowing people to vent their frustrations is a lot different than how another CM handled things during the last expac roll out.

He's probably too busy working on his CV and cover letters to bother.  Everyone working on LOTRO today MUST know they're on a sinking ship.  For if not, they'd be doing a better job at......anything.

I mean, I'd like to think that one of his managers finally told him "Stop penalizing and banning everyone with valid criticisms, and stop allowing your shilling trolls to post whatever they want without fear of recourse, or your ass is fired", but they know they'll never find anyone stupid or gullible enough to replace him.

And if anyone thinks I'm being too harsh on him, I literally couldn't give a toss.  Cordovan's unchecked hypocrisy, complete failure as CM, and abuse of his moderation privileges are the 3 main reasons I gave up on LOTRO and its community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this thread, saying that Mordor introduces BiS rings from new lootboxes (that don't take the old sturdy keys, there is a new kind of key for them).

They really are going full-speed into wallet-emptying mode now.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?656153-New-Keys-New-Lootboxes-Best-in-Slot-Ring&p=7750068#post7750068

Update: That one got the EP into the thread pretty quickly!  He says 

"There will never be a design that has loot from lootboxes that is statistically better than what you can gain someplace or somehow in game. Finding that loot in game might be hard, but it will be possible. Our overall design philosophy is that loot boxes are not required to reach the best gearing. If players do find some piece of gear that is best in slot and can only be gained through loot boxes then 1.) it is a bug or 2.) it is an oversight and will be fixed or 3.) there was some release timing issue and the loot will be available someplace in game soon.

In this case the intent is that those rings can be purchased from the Ash vendor for an appropriately large amount of Ash.

Sev~"

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a typically "We aren't going to force you to gamble because you can spend half your life grinding it" type of BS that drove me away from LotRO.

SSG really needs to take a page from Square Enix on this and have the grind for best stuff similar to how the FFXIV endgame works...  If you want the BIS gear, you can either upgrade the gear you're getting from the time locked currency (only capable of getting X/week) with an item from the hardest raid tier, or get widgets from the hardest raid tier to get the highest ilvl gear (which would be the ilvl 330 and 340 gear respectively).  Barring that, you can get decent gear from the lower raid tier (there's only two raid tiers FYI) which also shares the same ilvl of 320 with the harder boss fights  - which would be 320.  Or you can get the common instance currency that's not capped for ilvl 310 gear, or just farm the instances for ilvl 300 gear... and you get some ilvl 290 gear from completing your class quests.  There's no option to solo your way to the best gear possible - and the growing sub count of FFXIV shows that's the best way possible... even when they give a hard instance that's the final boss fight of the 4.0 story line (that's also a bit of a controversy as some are saying it's TOO hard).  Yes, it takes you weeks due to the time gating, but at the same time, that's also incentive to keep everyone playing all those weeks - and forces the playerbase to think about how they are gearing especially when they are gearing multiple classes concurrently (as one character can be all classes).

Then there's the idiocy with the LotRO approach to gearing because SSG (and Turbine before them) have spent so much time catering to the casuals that the entire playerbase has become so soft that actually imposing skill requirements on the playerbase to do so stuff would likely result in the playerbase just abandoning the game because it's "too hard" or spamming the forums because the requirements exist.  The landscape in LotRO offers no real challenge (compared to leveling in FFXIV 4.0 which required me to be somewhat cautious despite having a huge advantage with a near max rank companion) because I could get myself killed by pulling too aggressively on the landscape with certain classes.  I don't remember the last time that was an issue with LotRO, especially if I had (prior to the expansion) worked at the gear to become near BiS for my captain main.

The nail on the coffin for me, at least, is comparing how good LotRO was back prior to the release of F2P despite the itemization and balance problems.  It's a real shame what LotRO has become because it had a chance to be good but the dev team squandered it and most of the devs aware at what it would become left.... leaving the talentless devs behind that have given us the mediocrity since Return on Investment Rise of Isengard - which (coincidentally) was the last ok expansion for LotRO as the F2P aspect of the game hadn't completely replaced the sanity of the devs for the madness of short term cash grabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came back to LOTRO after a 2+ year break around update 16, and I have really enjoyed it.  I think that the dev team has done a much better job since the horror that was Helm's Deep and RoR.  I've enjoyed running Throne and think it is one of the better raids that Turbine / SSG has produced - it's at least as good as OD, and much better than Orthanc, DN, Hele and BG (not as good as Rift, but that's a high bar).  LOTRO in its current state is certainly not perfect, and there are loads of things that I would like to see improved, but in my opinion it's back to being a quality game that I enjoy playing.  

While I don't really understand the attraction of the two higher-priced packages, I think that the basic package is pretty fairly priced for what we are getting.  The only complaint I really have about it is that it should include the high elf - I'd rather they include it and leave out the auto-level item.  I don't really understand what all the uproar is about.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×