Sign in to follow this  
warspeech

Meanwhile, back at Turbine...

Amazing watching a company so obviously whore itself out for a few extra pennies.

Turbine = Assurance of low quality.

That wasn't always true, but these days it's the gold standard for lots of AAA developers (Bethesda and Bioware spring to mind).

Tempted to put Blizzard right there with them, but I'm still holding out hope they won't find a way to screw up the Diablo 2/Warcraft 3 remasters.

6 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Turbine = Assurance of low quality.

That wasn't always true ...

Turbine has been bad at QA for a long long time, since before Moria at least.

31 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

I'm reaching WAY back, to Asheron's Call.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, warspeech said:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/03/game-of-thrones-conquest-is-what-turbine-does-now/

Just in time for the final 6 episodes in a year or so.  

Going by http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/09/hands-game-thrones-conquest-probably-expensive-clash-clans-clone-date/ it looks like it's just a clone of another mobile app.

Which is kinda sad, really.

13 hours ago, nosam9 said:

Anyone remember the Grand Stairs in it's original incarnation with the throne, and why that was removed?

Or how about any other numerous exploits that keep popping up in instances for as long as Turbine has been around.

18 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Anyone remember the Grand Stairs in it's original incarnation with the throne, and why that was removed?

Or how about any other numerous exploits that keep popping up in instances for as long as Turbine has been around.

To be fair, I always liked being able to glitch an instance. It made for fun experimenting trying to work out what was possible and what wasn't. Cheesing is one of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much.

8 hours ago, Doro said:

To be fair, I always liked being able to glitch an instance. It made for fun experimenting trying to work out what was possible and what wasn't. Cheesing is one of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much.

I'm fine with the Dark Souls cheesing approach... provided the difficulty level is up there with Dark Souls.

Otherwise it shows the inability of QA to ship content that's not more bug infested than the local anthill IMO.

Speaking of "difficult" games with poor controls and moronic UI...  I thought consoles would ruin gaming and now we have this. GoT deserves better than that.

1 hour ago, Trisswyn said:

Speaking of "difficult" games with poor controls and moronic UI...  I thought consoles would ruin gaming and now we have this. GoT deserves better than that.

.... Have you not SEEN the last season?

10 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

.... Have you not SEEN the last season?

I read the five books and saw the tv series, they have ups and downs.

46 minutes ago, Trisswyn said:

I read the five books and saw the tv series, they have ups and downs.

Eh, been TV only... but you can definitely tell with the last season that the writers are completely incompetent without the books to use as  source material.  That Dany rescue scene like broke physics, and the writers also eliminated many interesting characters by either dialogue decisions or by... well... killing them.  The plot armor was a bit too strong on a few characters IMO.

37 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Eh, been TV only... but you can definitely tell with the last season that the writers are completely incompetent without the books to use as  source material.  That Dany rescue scene like broke physics, and the writers also eliminated many interesting characters by either dialogue decisions or by... well... killing them.  The plot armor was a bit too strong on a few characters IMO.

The writers have gotten so bad that they actually went full Star Trek red shirt mode in that frozen lake scene. They had the group of (convenient) main characters all doing fine, but all the faceless extra wildlings getting killed left, right, and centre. In fact, a lot of the scenes lately feel like "here's the main guys all doing stuff together because reasons".

And what was with Thoros? Him and his tattered scarecrow buddy can literally summon fire and he bleeds out/freezes to death? Worst healer ever, just like the Hound has been the worst tank. Oh god, I gotta stop here before this turns into a rant.

44 minutes ago, Doro said:

The writers have gotten so bad that they actually went full Star Trek red shirt mode in that frozen lake scene. They had the group of (convenient) main characters all doing fine, but all the faceless extra wildlings getting killed left, right, and centre. In fact, a lot of the scenes lately feel like "here's the main guys all doing stuff together because reasons".

And what was with Thoros? Him and his tattered scarecrow buddy can literally summon fire and he bleeds out/freezes to death? Worst healer ever, just like the Hound has been the worst tank. Oh god, I gotta stop here before this turns into a rant.

That entire part of the episode was one giant ass pull that kinda killed the show because there's no way for the bird to get all the way across the continent and a dragon to fly back before they would have been all screwed... especially when you factor in the time it would have taken for someone to run south to the wall.

That entire section of the episode was one giant facepalm with the sole purpose of deus ex machina'ing an ice dragon and a very angry jack in the box.

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

That entire part of the episode was one giant ass pull that kinda killed the show because there's no way for the bird to get all the way across the continent and a dragon to fly back before they would have been all screwed... especially when you factor in the time it would have taken for someone to run south to the wall.

That entire section of the episode was one giant facepalm with the sole purpose of deus ex machina'ing an ice dragon and a very angry jack in the box.

easy fix, just have someone Thormand If I have to spend a third night out here i am going to fuck one of you

I know it was garbage, the speed of the rescue, the sacrificial extras etc... It's still very entertaining garbage though 

3 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

I know it was garbage, the speed of the rescue, the sacrificial extras etc... It's still very entertaining garbage though 

I best heard this season described as a season of moments and when you look back there was a lot of really good moments.

I get it people are upset that few people died other than red shirts, but we are so near the end there is not much time left to introduce new characters so you need to keep people around to have the big battles to come.

Since when does Deus Ex Machina rattle Tolkien fans, anyway?  The Eagles did it at least four times....once on top of a river of lava in conditions that no organic creature could possibly survive.  Why then is the continuity of time suddenly such a dealbreaker with fanbois?  You're talking about an arctic rescue of a Christ-like resurrected hero from the vile clutches of zombies, actioned by a blonde riding a fire-breathing dragon.  Honestly, the response time of the rescue is the very least of valid concerns, so long as you're treating the show like it's hyper-reality.

Furthermore, it's not like there's that much cast left to kill off, anyway.  You're down to main characters at this point.   You want they should kill the Hound, Jorah, Dondarrion, and Jon Snow (again)?  You lost The Red Priest, what more do you want?  MORE main characters besieged and felled by zombies?  If so, then you may be watching the wrong show.......The Walking Dead is that way ===>   :P

• Like 1

I just can't believe this company got another big title under their hands...

8 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Since when does Deus Ex Machina rattle Tolkien fans, anyway?  The Eagles did it at least four times....once on top of a river of lava in conditions that no organic creature could possibly survive.  Why then is the continuity of time suddenly such a dealbreaker with fanbois?  You're talking about an arctic rescue of a Christ-like resurrected hero from the vile clutches of zombies, actioned by a blonde riding a fire-breathing dragon.  Honestly, the response time of the rescue is the very least of valid concerns, so long as you're treating the show like it's hyper-reality.

Furthermore, it's not like there's that much cast left to kill off, anyway.  You're down to main characters at this point.   You want they should kill the Hound, Jorah, Dondarrion, and Jon Snow (again)?  You lost The Red Priest, what more do you want?  MORE main characters besieged and felled by zombies?  If so, then you may be watching the wrong show.......The Walking Dead is that way ===>   :P

You're missing the point that the entire "plot" recently has been the issue, with the timing just making it even more obvious. It's breaking internal consistency, which is a far cry from demanding hyper-realism. They wanted certain scenes for the cool factor, regardless of whether they made sense, and loosely stitched them together in a way that felt hollow. The same reason that Batman vs Superman film was panned as a incoherent mess. They can't write in a way that makes narrative sense, and it seems the only reason they did so well prior to the end of the books was because they at least had some bones to haphazardly staple the meat to.

14 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

It's cause Game of Thrones (unlike Lord of the Rings) at least TRIES to be realistic.

17 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I best heard this season described as a season of moments and when you look back there was a lot of really good moments.

I get it people are upset that few people died other than red shirts, but we are so near the end there is not much time left to introduce new characters so you need to keep people around to have the big battles to come.

It's more about internal consistency of the show rather than people dying.  And yes, Balish deserved to die like he did because he was completely blind to Sansa.

10 hours ago, berry said:

I just can't believe this company got another big title under their hands...

Eh... in about five years most people are probably going to completely forget about Game of Thrones... so they're really a bit too late with the cash in IMO as it should have been released a couple of years ago.

8 hours ago, Doro said:

You're missing the point that the entire "plot" recently has been the issue, with the timing just making it even more obvious. It's breaking internal consistency, which is a far cry from demanding hyper-realism. They wanted certain scenes for the cool factor, regardless of whether they made sense, and loosely stitched them together in a way that felt hollow. The same reason that Batman vs Superman film was panned as a incoherent mess. They can't write in a way that makes narrative sense, and it seems the only reason they did so well prior to the end of the books was because they at least had some bones to haphazardly staple the meat to.

It's pretty obvious how this is going to end.  Cersei is going to hold back, while we deus ex machina the Night King getting killed at the absolute last minute with only one dragon surviving the battle... leaving everyone that's still standing to go back to King's Landing because Cersei's being an idiot.  Sometime between the departure of the Westeros Allaince army (which is basically what's going to be formed fighting the Night King) Clegane Bowl will happen with the Mountain falling to Sandor, and Aria taking the Mountain's face so she can infiltrate King's Landing and go whack Cersei a time or fifty but may finds out that she's too late as Jaime will have died strangling his sister before she gets there, having her vengeance denied.  I'm uncertain on the last point.

Point is, with the Spider becoming flat out loyal to Dany and Balish out of the picture, almost all of the intrigue element of the show is gone now, as Cersei simply isn't smart enough to make it work.

54 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

It's pretty obvious how this is going to end.  Cersei is going to hold back, while we deus ex machina the Night King getting killed at the absolute last minute with only one dragon surviving the battle... leaving everyone that's still standing to go back to King's Landing because Cersei's being an idiot.  Sometime between the departure of the Westeros Allaince army (which is basically what's going to be formed fighting the Night King) Clegane Bowl will happen with the Mountain falling to Sandor, and Aria taking the Mountain's face so she can infiltrate King's Landing and go whack Cersei a time or fifty but may finds out that she's too late as Jaime will have died strangling his sister before she gets there, having her vengeance denied.  I'm uncertain on the last point.

I've seen what's been suggested as the leaked season 8 plot and (if they're actually valid) you're not too far off.

But as long as we get another nude Missandei scene, I don't care what happens. She is absolutely smoking.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

I've seen what's been suggested as the leaked season 8 plot and (if they're actually valid) you're not too far off.

But as long as we get another nude Missandei scene, I don't care what happens. She is absolutely smoking.

With the way the writers love showing T&A... I wouldn't be surprised if we had a Sansa, Dany, Yara, and Jon orgy before the end of the show.

I mean, it definitely fits with Jon really being named Aegon...

22 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

... Yara...

XR9J5.gif