Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
warspeech

Meanwhile, back at Turbine...

Recommended Posts

Amazing watching a company so obviously whore itself out for a few extra pennies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turbine = Assurance of low quality.

That wasn't always true, but these days it's the gold standard for lots of AAA developers (Bethesda and Bioware spring to mind).

Tempted to put Blizzard right there with them, but I'm still holding out hope they won't find a way to screw up the Diablo 2/Warcraft 3 remasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Turbine = Assurance of low quality.

That wasn't always true ...

Turbine has been bad at QA for a long long time, since before Moria at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nosam9 said:

Turbine has been bad at QA for a long long time, since before Moria at least.

I'm reaching WAY back, to Asheron's Call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, warspeech said:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/03/game-of-thrones-conquest-is-what-turbine-does-now/

Just in time for the final 6 episodes in a year or so.  

Going by http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/09/hands-game-thrones-conquest-probably-expensive-clash-clans-clone-date/ it looks like it's just a clone of another mobile app.

Which is kinda sad, really.

13 hours ago, nosam9 said:

Turbine has been bad at QA for a long long time, since before Moria at least.

Anyone remember the Grand Stairs in it's original incarnation with the throne, and why that was removed?

Or how about any other numerous exploits that keep popping up in instances for as long as Turbine has been around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Anyone remember the Grand Stairs in it's original incarnation with the throne, and why that was removed?

Or how about any other numerous exploits that keep popping up in instances for as long as Turbine has been around.

To be fair, I always liked being able to glitch an instance. It made for fun experimenting trying to work out what was possible and what wasn't. Cheesing is one of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doro said:

To be fair, I always liked being able to glitch an instance. It made for fun experimenting trying to work out what was possible and what wasn't. Cheesing is one of the reasons I like Dark Souls so much.

I'm fine with the Dark Souls cheesing approach... provided the difficulty level is up there with Dark Souls.

Otherwise it shows the inability of QA to ship content that's not more bug infested than the local anthill IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of "difficult" games with poor controls and moronic UI...  I thought consoles would ruin gaming and now we have this. GoT deserves better than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trisswyn said:

Speaking of "difficult" games with poor controls and moronic UI...  I thought consoles would ruin gaming and now we have this. GoT deserves better than that.

.... Have you not SEEN the last season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

.... Have you not SEEN the last season?

I read the five books and saw the tv series, they have ups and downs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Trisswyn said:

I read the five books and saw the tv series, they have ups and downs.

Eh, been TV only... but you can definitely tell with the last season that the writers are completely incompetent without the books to use as  source material.  That Dany rescue scene like broke physics, and the writers also eliminated many interesting characters by either dialogue decisions or by... well... killing them.  The plot armor was a bit too strong on a few characters IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Eh, been TV only... but you can definitely tell with the last season that the writers are completely incompetent without the books to use as  source material.  That Dany rescue scene like broke physics, and the writers also eliminated many interesting characters by either dialogue decisions or by... well... killing them.  The plot armor was a bit too strong on a few characters IMO.

The writers have gotten so bad that they actually went full Star Trek red shirt mode in that frozen lake scene. They had the group of (convenient) main characters all doing fine, but all the faceless extra wildlings getting killed left, right, and centre. In fact, a lot of the scenes lately feel like "here's the main guys all doing stuff together because reasons".

And what was with Thoros? Him and his tattered scarecrow buddy can literally summon fire and he bleeds out/freezes to death? Worst healer ever, just like the Hound has been the worst tank. Oh god, I gotta stop here before this turns into a rant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Doro said:

The writers have gotten so bad that they actually went full Star Trek red shirt mode in that frozen lake scene. They had the group of (convenient) main characters all doing fine, but all the faceless extra wildlings getting killed left, right, and centre. In fact, a lot of the scenes lately feel like "here's the main guys all doing stuff together because reasons".

And what was with Thoros? Him and his tattered scarecrow buddy can literally summon fire and he bleeds out/freezes to death? Worst healer ever, just like the Hound has been the worst tank. Oh god, I gotta stop here before this turns into a rant.

That entire part of the episode was one giant ass pull that kinda killed the show because there's no way for the bird to get all the way across the continent and a dragon to fly back before they would have been all screwed... especially when you factor in the time it would have taken for someone to run south to the wall.

That entire section of the episode was one giant facepalm with the sole purpose of deus ex machina'ing an ice dragon and a very angry jack in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

That entire part of the episode was one giant ass pull that kinda killed the show because there's no way for the bird to get all the way across the continent and a dragon to fly back before they would have been all screwed... especially when you factor in the time it would have taken for someone to run south to the wall.

That entire section of the episode was one giant facepalm with the sole purpose of deus ex machina'ing an ice dragon and a very angry jack in the box.

easy fix, just have someone Thormand If I have to spend a third night out here i am going to fuck one of you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it was garbage, the speed of the rescue, the sacrificial extras etc... It's still very entertaining garbage though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

I know it was garbage, the speed of the rescue, the sacrificial extras etc... It's still very entertaining garbage though 

I best heard this season described as a season of moments and when you look back there was a lot of really good moments.

I get it people are upset that few people died other than red shirts, but we are so near the end there is not much time left to introduce new characters so you need to keep people around to have the big battles to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since when does Deus Ex Machina rattle Tolkien fans, anyway?  The Eagles did it at least four times....once on top of a river of lava in conditions that no organic creature could possibly survive.  Why then is the continuity of time suddenly such a dealbreaker with fanbois?  You're talking about an arctic rescue of a Christ-like resurrected hero from the vile clutches of zombies, actioned by a blonde riding a fire-breathing dragon.  Honestly, the response time of the rescue is the very least of valid concerns, so long as you're treating the show like it's hyper-reality.

Furthermore, it's not like there's that much cast left to kill off, anyway.  You're down to main characters at this point.   You want they should kill the Hound, Jorah, Dondarrion, and Jon Snow (again)?  You lost The Red Priest, what more do you want?  MORE main characters besieged and felled by zombies?  If so, then you may be watching the wrong show.......The Walking Dead is that way ===>   :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just can't believe this company got another big title under their hands...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Since when does Deus Ex Machina rattle Tolkien fans, anyway?  The Eagles did it at least four times....once on top of a river of lava in conditions that no organic creature could possibly survive.  Why then is the continuity of time suddenly such a dealbreaker with fanbois?  You're talking about an arctic rescue of a Christ-like resurrected hero from the vile clutches of zombies, actioned by a blonde riding a fire-breathing dragon.  Honestly, the response time of the rescue is the very least of valid concerns, so long as you're treating the show like it's hyper-reality.

Furthermore, it's not like there's that much cast left to kill off, anyway.  You're down to main characters at this point.   You want they should kill the Hound, Jorah, Dondarrion, and Jon Snow (again)?  You lost The Red Priest, what more do you want?  MORE main characters besieged and felled by zombies?  If so, then you may be watching the wrong show.......The Walking Dead is that way ===>   :P

You're missing the point that the entire "plot" recently has been the issue, with the timing just making it even more obvious. It's breaking internal consistency, which is a far cry from demanding hyper-realism. They wanted certain scenes for the cool factor, regardless of whether they made sense, and loosely stitched them together in a way that felt hollow. The same reason that Batman vs Superman film was panned as a incoherent mess. They can't write in a way that makes narrative sense, and it seems the only reason they did so well prior to the end of the books was because they at least had some bones to haphazardly staple the meat to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

Since when does Deus Ex Machina rattle Tolkien fans, anyway?  The Eagles did it at least four times....once on top of a river of lava in conditions that no organic creature could possibly survive.  Why then is the continuity of time suddenly such a dealbreaker with fanbois?  You're talking about an arctic rescue of a Christ-like resurrected hero from the vile clutches of zombies, actioned by a blonde riding a fire-breathing dragon.  Honestly, the response time of the rescue is the very least of valid concerns, so long as you're treating the show like it's hyper-reality.

Furthermore, it's not like there's that much cast left to kill off, anyway.  You're down to main characters at this point.   You want they should kill the Hound, Jorah, Dondarrion, and Jon Snow (again)?  You lost The Red Priest, what more do you want?  MORE main characters besieged and felled by zombies?  If so, then you may be watching the wrong show.......The Walking Dead is that way ===>   :P

It's cause Game of Thrones (unlike Lord of the Rings) at least TRIES to be realistic.

17 hours ago, cossieuk said:

I best heard this season described as a season of moments and when you look back there was a lot of really good moments.

I get it people are upset that few people died other than red shirts, but we are so near the end there is not much time left to introduce new characters so you need to keep people around to have the big battles to come.

It's more about internal consistency of the show rather than people dying.  And yes, Balish deserved to die like he did because he was completely blind to Sansa.

10 hours ago, berry said:

I just can't believe this company got another big title under their hands...

Eh... in about five years most people are probably going to completely forget about Game of Thrones... so they're really a bit too late with the cash in IMO as it should have been released a couple of years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doro said:

You're missing the point that the entire "plot" recently has been the issue, with the timing just making it even more obvious. It's breaking internal consistency, which is a far cry from demanding hyper-realism. They wanted certain scenes for the cool factor, regardless of whether they made sense, and loosely stitched them together in a way that felt hollow. The same reason that Batman vs Superman film was panned as a incoherent mess. They can't write in a way that makes narrative sense, and it seems the only reason they did so well prior to the end of the books was because they at least had some bones to haphazardly staple the meat to.

It's pretty obvious how this is going to end.  Cersei is going to hold back, while we deus ex machina the Night King getting killed at the absolute last minute with only one dragon surviving the battle... leaving everyone that's still standing to go back to King's Landing because Cersei's being an idiot.  Sometime between the departure of the Westeros Allaince army (which is basically what's going to be formed fighting the Night King) Clegane Bowl will happen with the Mountain falling to Sandor, and Aria taking the Mountain's face so she can infiltrate King's Landing and go whack Cersei a time or fifty but may finds out that she's too late as Jaime will have died strangling his sister before she gets there, having her vengeance denied.  I'm uncertain on the last point.

Point is, with the Spider becoming flat out loyal to Dany and Balish out of the picture, almost all of the intrigue element of the show is gone now, as Cersei simply isn't smart enough to make it work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

It's pretty obvious how this is going to end.  Cersei is going to hold back, while we deus ex machina the Night King getting killed at the absolute last minute with only one dragon surviving the battle... leaving everyone that's still standing to go back to King's Landing because Cersei's being an idiot.  Sometime between the departure of the Westeros Allaince army (which is basically what's going to be formed fighting the Night King) Clegane Bowl will happen with the Mountain falling to Sandor, and Aria taking the Mountain's face so she can infiltrate King's Landing and go whack Cersei a time or fifty but may finds out that she's too late as Jaime will have died strangling his sister before she gets there, having her vengeance denied.  I'm uncertain on the last point.

I've seen what's been suggested as the leaked season 8 plot and (if they're actually valid) you're not too far off.

But as long as we get another nude Missandei scene, I don't care what happens. She is absolutely smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doro said:

I've seen what's been suggested as the leaked season 8 plot and (if they're actually valid) you're not too far off.

But as long as we get another nude Missandei scene, I don't care what happens. She is absolutely smoking.

With the way the writers love showing T&A... I wouldn't be surprised if we had a Sansa, Dany, Yara, and Jon orgy before the end of the show.

I mean, it definitely fits with Jon really being named Aegon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

... Yara...

XR9J5.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×