Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

Technical Issues facing LotRO install on Windows 10

Soo....

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?651497-BUG-NEW-installs-of-LotRO-on-NEW-install-of-Windows-No-DX10-DX11-(multiple-systems-tested!)

The entire thing shows why testing how LotRO installs on modern operating systems and making sure your installer automatically installs necessary prereqs (or pulls them down from your server if they are detected to be missing) is critical.  Especially since the the redistributables for all of the prereqs are available either on public facing downloads from Microsoft, or able to be included with your installer.

There's zero reason why missing prereqs for a game should even be a thing these days.

Shit like this is what drives people away from trying LotRO on Steam, and from giving it a go because they have to jump through so many needless hoops.

Sadly, the few that actually care (like Hurin) are probably gonna get banned for this because  Cordovan's probably gonna do the Sapience routine on him.  Either that or the thread's gonna get whacked.

6 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Sadly, the few that actually care (like Hurin) are probably gonna get banned for this because  Cordovan's probably gonna do the Sapience routine on him.  Either that or the thread's gonna get whacked.

Hurin would not be undeserving of it.  His ego needs to get knocked down a peg or twelve.

2 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

Hurin would not be undeserving of it.  His ego needs to get knocked down a peg or twelve.

word.

I wasn't going to touch it, because Al gets triggered whenever I post anything, but Hurin has been one of the biggest trolls on the OF since day one, as well as one of the biggest "everything is fine, lower your expectations and put your head in the sand with the rest of us" posters.  When HE is dissatisfied, you know something is terribly wrong.

That said, he's not getting banned under any circumstances.  He's been too big of a shill, and too much of an asset for Turbine's defense team...er...i mean community relations manager.

3 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

As true as that may be, if someone is pointing out an issue in a rather major way and they get banned for it, it's going to chill the attempts to do so on the OF... which is only going to cause further degradation of the LotRO client.

Why does he even care about dx 10/11 the game keep crashing on dx 10/11 if you have modern reg.

9 hours ago, berry said:

Why does he even care about dx 10/11 the game keep crashing on dx 10/11 if you have modern reg.

Dunno, but it's a point that can be used to (very publicly) club SSG over the head with it and get them to at least look at their shit, and hopefully fix it too.

14 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

As true as that may be, if someone is pointing out an issue in a rather major way and they get banned for it, it's going to chill the attempts to do so on the OF... which is only going to cause further degradation of the LotRO client.

Unless I've missed something, attempts to make changes have been chilled since the days of Heaton.  In the end, Snook isn't very different.  I've shaken the OF dust off my feet long ago, and other players should do so, in my opinion.

I don't think some of you actually read the forums and come here only for some good ol' fashioned confirmation bias.  That Hurin guy has been bitching about the slippery slope of the cash grab f2p store model for years.  Seems unlikely for a shill to point out to people that eventually everything will be p2w and they're going to be ripping us off with sub par content to push out stupid shit in the store.  He was right you know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Amenhir said:

I don't think some of you actually read the forums and come here only for some good ol' fashioned confirmation bias.  That Hurin guy has been bitching about the slippery slope of the cash grab f2p store model for years.  Seems unlikely for a shill to point out to people that eventually everything will be p2w and they're going to be ripping us off with sub par content to push out stupid shit in the store.  He was right you know.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and Hurin's objections are only expounded on by him because they affect him, not because they affect others.  A selfish jerk will continue to be a selfish jerk, and his dismissive and self-satisfied actions towards others, who maintained valid complaints for years, are not forgotten, either by me or by others.  For him to be banned from the forums for voicing a complaint and a challenge would be considerably ironic.

As for why I come here, Amenhir - as I have since nearly the creation of this board - was to have a place to talk about the game in general without draconian moderation hampering my expression. To this very day, my motivation has been proven right.  I can, in fact, discuss the impact of SSG's actions - and the impact of other players - without thought of being retaliated against, which is something I do not have a guarantee of on the official forums.

Why should I not come here?

3 hours ago, Amenhir said:

QFT.  it seems to be a trend for certain people on this forum to hold on to grudges--specifically aimed at people on the OF--for what seems like months, maybe years.  People they have never met.  People who never give them a second thought, or probably find it entertaining when they try to bash/bait them on a separate forum.  Case in point: Hurin has been an extremely vocal critic of SSG and Turbine in the past and continues to be.  So when I see people call him a shill and express happiness that he might get banned (even if they agree with what he is saying) it just comes across as petty.  As in, this dude pissed me off one day long ago and I just can't get past it type of petty. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Papi said:

QFT.  it seems to be a trend for certain people on this forum to hold on to grudges--specifically aimed at people on the OF--for what seems like months, maybe years.  People they have never met.  People who never give them a second thought, or probably find it entertaining when they try to bash/bait them on a separate forum.  Case in point: Hurin has been an extremely vocal critic of SSG and Turbine in the past and continues to be.  So when I see people call him a shill and express happiness that he might get banned (even if they agree with what he is saying) it just comes across as petty.  As in, this dude pissed me off one day long ago and I just can't get past it type of petty. 

He is inconsistent, and he likes to argue for the sake of arguing, simultaneously taking both sides of an argument just to pick a fight.  That should sound pretty familiar to you, because you do it also.

As far as grudges go.....when someone repeatedly tells me that my opinions are invalid, and that rather than offer feedback to the community manager I should simply stop playing......I'm always going to remember that.  Hurin's self-righteous attitude is among the reasons that I gave up on LOTRO.  There's no reason I should forget that, or let it go.  He's certainly not the only one that soured my experience and my outlook on the game, and others are guilty of far more grievous offenses.  But he's the one we're talking about right here and right now, and any other day of the week you'd be disparaging him as well, but it's been quiet on here, and you needed to start some drama.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

1. As far as grudges go.....when someone repeatedly tells me that my opinions are invalid, and that rather than offer feedback to the community manager I should simply stop playing......I'm always going to remember that.  Hurin's self-righteous attitude is among the reasons that I gave up on LOTRO.  

2. But he's the one we're talking about right here and right now, and any other day of the week you'd be disparaging him as well, but it's been quiet on here, and you needed to start some drama.

1. So one week it was Amorey, this week it's Hurin...how many people are you going to blame for the fact that you (supposedly) gave up on LotRO?  The fact that any of these people has influenced how you feel about an MMORPG says more about you than it does about them.  

2. Al started this thread to discuss the valid point that Hurin made on the OF.  You (and Dalthalion) decided to turn it into yet another hate parade about a person on the OF--so if anyone is starting "some drama" here, it's you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're simply responding the the OP's "concern" that Hurin would be banned on the OF.  Did you even read the OP?  Because you don't seem to have all the facts.

All you're doing is trying to stir shit, like you always do.  Any other day of the week, you'd be railing on Hurin as well, but since the guy who called you out for shilling for another terrible MMO had something to say, you automatically got triggered and took a contrary stance.  That's what you do.  So just give it up, we see right through you.

Hurin has violated the TOS hundreds of times on the OF, and he has never even received as much as an infraction, because he's a fanboi.  He's not getting banned any time soon, so rest easy, and stop being a contrarian just for the sake of being contrary.

3 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and Hurin's objections are only expounded on by him because they affect him, not because they affect others.  A selfish jerk will continue to be a selfish jerk, and his dismissive and self-satisfied actions towards others, who maintained valid complaints for years, are not forgotten, either by me or by others.  For him to be banned from the forums for voicing a complaint and a challenge would be considerably ironic.

As for why I come here, Amenhir - as I have since nearly the creation of this board - was to have a place to talk about the game in general without draconian moderation hampering my expression. To this very day, my motivation has been proven right.  I can, in fact, discuss the impact of SSG's actions - and the impact of other players - without thought of being retaliated against, which is something I do not have a guarantee of on the official forums.

Why should I not come here?

When did I ever say you shouldn't or couldn't post here?  

12 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

Because you don't seem to have all the facts.

Hurin has violated the TOS hundreds of times on the OF, and he has never even received as much as an infraction, because he's a fanboi.  

You might want to look up the definition of the word "fact".  

Sure, whatever you say--if anyone would know it would be you.  I'm sure in another week or so, you'll be blaming someone else for the fact that you supposedly don't play LotRO anymore.  Should be fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Papi said:

You might want to look up the definition of the word "fact".  

Sure, whatever you say--if anyone would know it would be you.  I'm sure in another week or so, you'll be blaming someone else for the fact that you supposedly don't play LotRO anymore.  Should be fun.

Just give up it already.

Some people just aren't strong enough to realize they are the problem... as they'd rather be the eternal victim and try to get sympathy for their own stupidity.

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2017 at 1:27 PM, Amenhir said:

When did I ever say you shouldn't or couldn't post here?  

If you are able to do so, I would ask that you examine what I said in context.  You said:

I don't think some of you actually read the forums and come here only for some good ol' fashioned confirmation bias.

This was something you, posted right after my comment concerning the chilling of expression on the forums and my recommendation that people leave it behind, and it was, in part, reactionary to what I had said.  I said, as a part of my reply:

You had a flawed perception of why I come here.  I chose to correct it.

Here is a ladder, by which you may dismount from your horse.  It seems a bit high.

climbing-ladder.jpg

16 hours ago, Dalthalion said:

If you are able to do so, I would ask that you examine what I said in context.  You said:

This was something you, posted right after my comment concerning the chilling of expression on the forums and my recommendation that people leave it behind, and it was, in part, reactionary to what I had said.  I said, as a part of my reply:

You had a flawed perception of why I come here.  I chose to correct it.

Here is a ladder, by which you may dismount from your horse.  It seems a bit high.

To be totally honest with you.. I don't really give a shit why you post here or don't post on the OF.  If you want to include yourself in the "some" go right ahead.  However, I think some of you should probably find other hobbies.  Too much anger leads to ulcers and a pretty miserable existence.  Next time you want to take offense make sure it's not because you are looking for a reason.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Amenhir said:

Too much anger leads to ulcers and a pretty miserable existence.

Depends who you are. I've found there are those who benefit from anger.

5 minutes ago, Doro said:

Depends who you are. I've found there are those who benefit from anger.

Bruce Banner would tend to disagree with you....

6 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Bruce Banner would tend to disagree with you....

But Hulk wouldn't.

2 hours ago, Doro said:

But Hulk wouldn't.

But Banner is afraid of the Hulk.

3 hours ago, psalm8818 said:

The hypocrisy is staggering.  But not entirely surprising.

Posting on here doesn't make me a Hypocrite.  Allowing what douchebags say on the OF to consume my entire being and then telling people to find other hobbies would.

I made a mistake several years ago of bitching about someone I thought was a real jerk on the OF.  After the obligatory "stop qqing, git gud, l2p"  bullshit, I learned a valuable lesson.  This place is a free place to complain about the game and the developers.  However, coming here looking for people to help you wage war on those that choose to post there, isn't exactly the best use of your energy.  It makes you look petty and childish, and people will latch on to that and completely ignore any legitimate critiques you may have.

• Upvote 1