Sign in to follow this  
Tadpole Superhero

Can't even Access LOTRO Website - Help Please!

I used to play LotRO, for several years, but haven't played since the Riders of Rohan expansion. Had an itch to play again, but I don't have it on this computer, so went to go to the website to download the client to install the game launcher, and all I get is "This site can't be reached" (image attached). I have been getting that same screen for over a week now every time I try to go to lotro.com. I normally use Chrome, but I also tried with Internet Explorer and Firefox, still wasn't able to access the site. I've reset my computer and my browser and my router, still no luck. 

Can anyone help? I just want to play the game, but I can't even get to their website. Are there other ways to download and install the client, or is there a solution to my current problem to let me access the site? I can go to literally every single other website I know of or can search for that I've tried with no problems, so I don't understand what this ongoing problem is with the lotro website. 

Thank you!

lotro.PNG

Hi. Check your DNS settings on your PC. Use Google's if need be... ie 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

The lotro.com is definitely up at present. 

Let us know how you get on.

Yeah, the first thing I did last week was check if lotro's site was up, and it was, which baffled me. 

Tried the DNS setting changes, still getting the same result. Any other hopes for me? I'm really confused how this is happening. Why is this the only site (that I know of) that I just can't access?

Think of it as divine providence.  

And if that's not your cup of tea, think of it as the cosmic forces of the universe telling you "You don't want to jump down this rabbit hole".

It's not the same game you left, even as late as RoR.  But if you're stubborn like me, you'll have to find that out for yourself.  Try clearing caches, and if that doesn't work, try a different browser.

If you are just after the client you could try Steam. 

What country are you trying to access it from?

I just poked the website, and it's working just fine for me (which isn't helpful for you tho >.>

You might want to try doing a tracert lotro.com and see if there's some place where things are failing.  I'm noticing that tracert is failing a couple of hops after it gets onto the Qwest network from where I am... so we may be looking at something from Irma affecting things (as that basically screwed up the power grid for Florida, and then decided to goto Atlanta and Memphis).

Either way, I'd recommend the download from Steam as that's just easier to get installed than the web download IMO.

Accessing from the United States. 

Also, got the download from Steam, but the client is stuck on installing pre-requisites... I see that the Lotro twitter says to change the launcher's proxy settings. Only problem is... I don't see any icons for settings. It's like my launcher is bugged, but apparently there's an invisible "X" icon because if I click near the top right it closes the launcher. So maybe the icons are just invisible? Where's the icon for launcher settings supposed to be, maybe that'll help? 

EDIT: okay fiddling around I found the settings, set it to "no proxy" but the launcher's still stuck on pre-reqs...

You might try opening a command prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns then try again 

On 9/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, psalm8818 said:

Think of it as divine providence.  

And if that's not your cup of tea, think of it as the cosmic forces of the universe telling you "You don't want to jump down this rabbit hole".

It's not the same game you left, even as late as RoR.  But if you're stubborn like me, you'll have to find that out for yourself.  Try clearing caches, and if that doesn't work, try a different browser.

I'm starting to think you're right. Tried every suggestion in this thread so far, as well as looked up other suggestions and "fixes" in other boards and articles and still getting nowhere. The launcher still just sits on pre-reqs without going anywhere. Maybe it's time to give it up (or just try again next time I get a new computer or switch internet providers... so in a year or two)

Thanks for attempting to help, guys. I don't know what is wrong, but I'm grateful to the assistance here.

2 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Did you try to download the PC Standard resolution client at https://www.lotro.com/en/game/download ?

Like I said in the first post, I can't access the lotro website - that includes lotro.com, so I can't download from lotro's site or that link (which is to lotro's website)

3 hours ago, warspeech said:

Maybe you have to give it access to get through your firewall?  

Just checked to make sure, it already had access :/

I'd contact Cordovan through social media, send him my IP, and ask him if I've been accidentally caught up in one of their gold spammer IP blocks.

Do you have any other devices (a phone) on your home network from which you can try to contact the lotro website?  That would rule out something specific to your computer itself.  Leaving only your router, something along the route, or a block on SSG's end as likely/possible causes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hurin said:

I'd contact Cordovan through social media, send him my IP, and ask him if I've been accidentally caught up in one of their gold spammer IP blocks.

Do you have any other devices (a phone) on your home network from which you can try to contact the lotro website?  That would rule out something specific to your computer itself.  Leaving only your router, something along the route, or a block on SSG's end as likely/possible causes.

Hmm, I'd like to figure out how to get a hold of him if possible. I'll look into that.

I've tried accessing the website from my phone, and it has the same error message as on my comp.

Are you on the same WiFi on your phone? 

38 minutes ago, Laurinaohtar said:

Are you on the same WiFi on your phone? 

Yeah, see if you can access it from another WiFi network other than the one you've been trying.

You don't have to log on in case it's not a secure network, but just seeing if it comes up for you somewhere else would be useful to know.

2 hours ago, Tadpole Superhero said:

Hmm, I'd like to figure out how to get a hold of him if possible. I'll look into that.

I've tried accessing the website from my phone, and it has the same error message as on my comp.

Since your phone gets the error too while on the same home network (though plz confirm that as Laurinaohtar requests), we know (pretty much) it's not your computer itself.  Unless you've mangled both somehow.  :|

Assuming you have a cellular data plan, you should just be able to turn off wi-fi on your phone to test whether you can get to the website from another network (the cellular one).  Even if your cellular provider is also your home internet provider, the subnets used should be different.

Then, finally, from your computer (or your phone w/ wi-fi enabled), go to google and type in "What is my ip". . . the IP it reports is your world-routable IP address that is assigned to your router.  That's what you would want to send to SSG.  Quite often people send their private-class (behind the router) IP. . . which isn't gonna help.  :N

You have already reset your router.  So I doubt your router is the culprit (unless you have some VPN configured on it).  Have you made use of any VPNs in the past (to watch sports in a blacked out market or anything like that)?

Which really just leaves your ISP, its route, or SSG having (accidentally, I hope, or we shouldn't be helping you!) blocked your IP.  You mention you're in the US, though, so it would be odd if they're blocking vast swaths of subnets in the US.  Who is your provider?

One other thing.  While you wait. . . is your cable/dsl modem separate from your router?  If so, sometimes you can get a different IP from your internet provider by unplugging power from your modem and router.  Waiting 5 minutes (or longer, longer is better. . . up to an hour or so), and then plugging back in your modem, waiting a couple minutes until the modem syncs up, and then plugging in your router again.

Once everything is running again, hopefully you have a new IP address from your ISP.  If so, hopefully any (hypothetical and accidental) block on SSG's end is narrow enough that you are now on an IP that is unaffected.

I can't stress this enough, this advice is only for someone who hasn't misbehaved in-game or on the official forums.  I suppose it should be asked, do you have any reason to believe that you have been intentionally banned from either the game or the forums?  :?

8 hours ago, Hurin said:

I suppose it should be asked, do you have any reason to believe that you have been intentionally banned from either the game or the forums?

Please explain how that should affect his ability to access the website itself?

@OP: When debugging connectivity issues, don't use browsers, especially not their current incarnations that might "helpfully" hide what the actual reason might be.

Use some low-level tools like mtr (or ping or tracert), curl, wget (or telnet, if need be) instead. That way, you get to tell them to be verbose about what happens which is a lot more helpful than "generic error page because we can't bother the user with any details lest he be overwhelmed and starts complaining".

SNy

1 hour ago, SNy said:

Cordovan has repeatedly stated that they block IPs and subnets in order to combat spam on the forums and/or gold-selling in game.  An IP block can take many forms (as you probably know), at the application level, at the server firewall level, the network level, etc.  I got the sense that in egregious cases, they are blocking at the network level.  A block at their network border would block access to both the website and the game (gls.lotro.com and www.lotro.com are both on the same class C subnet).

I agree that if everyone were savvy, using traceroute and such would be great.  But before walking someone who may or may not be savvy with such things through their use, I'd rather cover some basics. . . and also determine if helping this person might actually get me into trouble since I would not want to help someone circumnavigate an intentional ban.  :|

Heh, UOTrace is still available.

15 hours ago, Tadpole Superhero said:

Hmm, I'd like to figure out how to get a hold of him if possible.

It's easy.  Just say "LOTRO is the best MMO on the market, and Cordovan is doing a fantastic job as CM.  I don't mind gamebreaking bugs, and I absolutley love the new avatars!" three times.  That should land you personal tech support, a fruit basket, and you might even get on his payroll.

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but did you try deleting internet history?  If you were banned for whatever reason, you may still be logged in the site.  Clearing your cache might allow you to access the site again, but only if that were the case.

Otherwise, I'm telling you, the Valar are trying to do you a favor.

6 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

I don't want to insult your intelligence, but did you try deleting internet history?  If you were banned for whatever reason, you may still be logged in the site.  Clearing your cache might allow you to access the site again, but only if that were the case.

Wouldn't explain why his client can't make contact with the patch or game servers though.

He appears to be blocked from the SSG network as a whole.  Either by SSG (hopefully erroneously) or a problem with the route along the interwebs.

6 hours ago, SNy said:

@OP: When debugging connectivity issues, don't use browsers, especially not their current incarnations that might "helpfully" hide what the actual reason might be.

Use some low-level tools like mtr (or ping or tracert), curl, wget (or telnet, if need be) instead. That way, you get to tell them to be verbose about what happens which is a lot more helpful than "generic error page because we can't bother the user with any details lest he be overwhelmed and starts complaining".

SNy

That's why I suggested to talk to your ISP and troubleshoot the issue with the website, as it should be expected that the ISP should deliver their content to you without issue.

21 hours ago, Hurin said:

Cordovan has repeatedly stated that they block IPs and subnets in order to combat spam on the forums and/or gold-selling in game.  An IP block can take many forms (as you probably know), at the application level, at the server firewall level, the network level, etc.  I got the sense that in egregious cases, they are blocking at the network level.  A block at their network border would block access to both the website and the game (gls.lotro.com and www.lotro.com are both on the same class C subnet).

Right. I am, of course, out of touch with how former Turbine are running things, and how they still appear to be generally incapable of delivering appropriate solutions. Just smashing the Block-Hammer in that way makes total sense, seeing their own website wouldn't often be affected, seeing it isn't used for anything game-related anyway. I mean, why would you keep it accessible, if you just spit anything worth mentioning onto Twitter or that other cancerous site. /rant

SNy