Sign in to follow this  
nosam9

WB goes back on promise about Asheron's Call - shuts down PhatAC emulation project

http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/18/asherons-call-emulator-lead-explains-what-went-down-with-the-cease-and-desist/  

discussion of this:  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/70vfya/phatac_an_emulator_revival_project_for_the/

Obviously WB cares nothing for players interests. AC is shut down. I can't see how PhatAC would make them lose money. Or that they will ever use the AC IP again.  

Someone's summary of events: 

"In December of last year WB/Turbine announced that they would be spinning off their MMORPG properties to Daybreak (aka SoE), with the devteams moving to a new company, Standing Stone Games. LOTRO and DDO were announced but noticeably absent was Asheron's Call. We all were worried, and with good reason -- because someone, possibly someone from Standing Stone Games, logged onto the official AC Facebook page to give us the bad news.

AC was not part of the SSG deal. It would shut down at the end of January, and just for fun, they disabled new account creation at the same time, without warning, so those players who had left could not return to say goodbye. As a cherry on top - and possible hint that the employee wasn't happy either - they referred us to a WB Support page that didn't even list Asheron's Call as a property WB owned.

3 years ago when Turbine set AC into stasis, a museum piece dedicated to the first age of 3DMMORPGs, they made a promise to the community: We'll run it as long as we can, and when we're done, you can have the servers, so AC will live on forever.

They lied."

I can see WB holding onto the IP for this one for years just because it's their IP, and doing jack with it for that time.

I would suspect those suits are probably going to sit on the AC IP until a buyer can be found, as the bean counters see that there's some value in the IP... despite most of the modern MMO players not knowing what AC is or was - or having interest in it.

Either way, the situation is pretty shitty =(

18 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

I would suspect those suits are probably going to sit on the AC IP until a buyer can be found,

A buyer was found. WB refused to sell.  

Players of the game asked WB to buy it (or to license it without any rights, just so they can keep it going).

Just now, nosam9 said:

A buyer was found. WB refused to sell.  

Players of the game asked WB to buy it (or to license it without any rights, just so they can keep it going).

Doesn't mean anything,.

Could be that the Buyer offerred WAAAAAYYYY to low for the IP - or WB is overvaluing the IP.

Could also mean that WB has plans for AC in the works which we may not see for several years.

Given that most companies have NDAs that the employees are scared shitless of violating (because that would be like getting a scarlet letter in the corporate world), we may never hear anything on this.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone at WB thinks they can turn AC into a media franchise with books, movies, and even an "extended universe".  None of those pesky problems with authors or estates objecting to your stupid ideas like with Harry Potter or LoTR.  

They could be looking at the international success of the Warcraft movie and saying, "Hey, we should get in on that, do we have anything?"  

(Yes, I know the Warcraft movie tanked domestically but I'm pretty sure the international total made sequels look like a good idea to someone, haven't looked into it recently though.  And it's WB.  Not the brightest bulbs in the box, but boy are they greedy.)

6 hours ago, warspeech said:

(Yes, I know the Warcraft movie tanked domestically but I'm pretty sure the international total made sequels look like a good idea to someone, haven't looked into it recently though.  And it's WB.  Not the brightest bulbs in the box, but boy are they greedy.)

Made around $433 million in total, around 89% internationally and 11% in the USA.  It cost around $160 million.  Not sure there is any money in sequels

55 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

Made around $433 million in total, around 89% internationally and 11% in the USA.  It cost around $160 million.  Not sure there is any money in sequels

They just need to not bother with marketing in anywhere but China. Those guys lapped it up. And considering the audience out there makes up almost 20% of the entire world population, they're a pretty big market to focus on instead.

I wouldn't write off WB as completely stupid... they DID make the Batman animated series back in the 90's that are some of the best (if not THE best) Batman series ever made.

And they also own DC Comics too...

10 hours ago, Doro said:

They just need to not bother with marketing in anywhere but China. Those guys lapped it up. And considering the audience out there makes up almost 20% of the entire world population, they're a pretty big market to focus on instead.

I suppose there's some reverence for the game that has genuinely put food on a lot of their tables for the past 13 years.

Are you bored with making credits?  Fast safe transaction satisfaction guarantee with going concern.  Our dichotomy opens the combat.

13 hours ago, Doro said:

Those guys lapped it up. 

same thing happened with the last 2 Transformers movies as well, if not for China both movies would have tanked.

8 hours ago, Papi said:

same thing happened with the last 2 Transformers movies as well, if not for China both movies would have tanked.

At this point, I'm really wishing that they would find a new director for the Transformers movies, or just reboot the franchise because there's so much good source material to pull from (like the original UK Marvel and IDW stories).