Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Activision Researched Using Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items

Activision has been grated a patent for a new matchmaking system that is designed to entice players to spend money on microtransactions.

A quote from the patent 

"For example, in one implementation, the system may include a microtransaction engine that arranges matches to influence game-related purchases," according to the patent. "For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

This is really taking the piss.  Now they want to pair you up with people who have spend money, so you have a hard time competing so that you will go spend money.

More quotes

"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."

Social engineering to get people to spend money on microtransactions.

That's the single most devious and under-handed bit of work I've ever seen from a games company. "Oh no, did we set you up to get your ass handed to you? Well, why not try this pay-to-win item?"

Another company I can scratch off my ever-shortening list to buy from.

1 hour ago, Doro said:

That's the single most devious and under-handed bit of work I've ever seen from a games company. "Oh no, did we set you up to get your ass handed to you? Well, why not try this pay-to-win item?"

Another company I can scratch off my ever-shortening list to buy from.

Dont forget the part where you play against crappy players once you buy something so that you win making you think what you bought was what made you win, so you feel more inclined to buy again

I'm more concerned that this kind of idea can get a patent granted.

• Upvote 1