Sign in to follow this  
Tarantula

Amazon: Lord of the Rings for tv?

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/3/16605272/lord-of-the-rings-jrr-tolkien-game-of-thrones-amazon-studios

Amazon Studios has been looking for a way to duplicate HBO’s success with Game of Thrones, and the company may have found a solution: adapting J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings into a TV series. Variety reports that the company is currently in talks with Warner Bros. Television and the late author’s estate, and while discussions are said to be in “very early stages,” it is clearly a high priority, with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos himself involved in the negotiations.

Amazon Studios has unexpectedly found itself in the midst of a transition. Earlier this year, Bezos reportedly got involved with the creative direction of the studio, tasking the group with finding high-profile dramas like the hit HBO series that could have a broad, global appeal. Then last month, Amazon Studios executive Roy Price resigned in the wake of sexual harassment allegations, a move that led to additional resignations and a reshuffling of the studio’s executive ranks.

The kind of big-name adaptation Amazon has been looking for

If finding the next Game of Thrones is the goal, it’s hard to imagine a property more suited to the task then Tolkien’s series. The Lord of the Rings tells the story of Frodo Baggins, a young Hobbit who is tasked with destroying an artifact called the One Ring in the hopes of saving the world of Middle-earth. The books have been adapted multiple times over the years, with the most commercially — and critically — successful adaptation coming in the form of Peter Jackson’s film trilogy. (Jackson’s films adapting The Hobbit were markedly less successful.)

While the adaptation is far from certain — the deal hasn’t even been closed yet — this is the kind of project that could bring Amazon Studios a significant amount of attention, and draw in viewers across the world. While Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu have all made huge strides as original content creators, Amazon has yet to score with a far-reaching, cultural conversation piece the way that Netflix has with something like Stranger Things.

While The Lord of the Rings would certainly check all the Game of Thrones boxes when it comes to fantasy and adventure, it is also worth noting that the books aren’t really known for being filled with the kind of sex-and-violence antics that HBO’s show has become synonymous with. On the other hand, Rings has one huge advantage: the books are actually finished.

If they are doing a TV show in Middle Earth I would rather they used the Silmarillion.  There are some many stories that would work well on TV.

• Like 1

I don't think this will work, the trilogy isn't that long ago, so it will always be compared with that. And people know how it will end. The story is just to well known for the larger audience.

With GoT it's the first time it's on screen, the story is a surprise and it has a good amount of nudity and violence that is probably wanted by the viewers. LotR has none of those factors. 

If they want to adapt a fantasy serie, I'd go for the Sword of Truth, that has also enough violence in it, probably isn't well known to the public and only the first/ first and second book are tried to bring onscreen a couple of seasons ago. Or the hitchhiker's guide ;)

And personally i'd love to see A wheel of Time brought on screen, but that would need a lot of editting/rewriting since some parts would benefit from, let's say, making the story a little more compact...

Is everyone prepared to see the all new, gender-bent, diverse cast for the modern Lord of the Rings?! I've waited over a decade now, since the first Lord of the Rings films happened to be an unexpected success to the mainstream, to see the rightful depiction of these much beloved characters.

1509910663654.jpg

Okay, so this isn't real. You can stop with your heart-attacks.

Actually, Morgan Freeman would make a good Gandalf XD

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

Actually, Morgan Freeman would make a good Gandalf XD

dcd.jpg

On 11/4/2017 at 11:26 PM, cossieuk said:

If they are doing a TV show in Middle Earth I would rather they used the Silmarillion.  There are some many stories that would work well on TV.

A lot harder to get that over the line given the estate still holds all the rights to the Silmarillion.

I have high hopes for this. Amazon TV series aren't quite where Netflix is, however they mostly use the same actual production companies. Setting the right priorities and allocate some cash (mostly for actors, no elephant sized CGI wargs please) would go a long way.

Unless it is a miniseries I don't think they follow the epic storyline from the books.

I would expect a region-hopping thing, e.g. parts in the Shire, parts in Breeland, building some characters there, interactions between them. Trouble will probably be in the form of attacks on their homes, I don't think they will start a TV by going out questing.

I can remember a time not so long ago (well, at least it feels to me like not so long ago) when the works of Tolkien couldn't have been further from the public zeitgeist, when all we Tolkien fans had besides the books was a handful of really bad animated movies and a subsequent line of action figures, a high-concept music album, some references by Led Zeppelin, and a handful of interviews of the Professor on 8 mm film in the public library.

Today, you can't walk 3 feet without someone referencing LOTR or the Hobbit.  And you know what?  I'm sort of over it.  It's exactly the same way I feel about superhero movies, Transformers, and Star Wars.  All the things I absolutely loved as a child...remade, rebooted, reimagined....all with a dark and gritty sensibility reflective of my generation's pessimistic, warped and twisted outlook on the past, the present, and the future.  Today, I look upon those absolutely terrible Tolkien animated films with a fondness that not even the LOTR trilogy can match (akin to The Star Wars Holiday Special, the Super Friends, and the old Transformers TV series).  Yes, it all makes a ton of money for a couple dozen corporate suits, but what has it done to our culture?  There is nothing new anymore.  No new ideas.  It's all just rehashes of whatever toys some executive played with as a child.  Eventually, that bubble is going to burst.  Then what?  Dark and gritty reimaginings of the Teletubbies?  Dora the Explorer?  Pokémon?  Extremely Angry Birds?  Firby the Conqueror?  

It's just a complete oversaturation of Generation X into popular culture, without any of the fun, the wide-eyed excitement, and the hopefulness that defined the times.  And as much as I love the world of Middle Earth........I could go a long time without a multimillion dollar exploration of ancillary or made-up characters capitalizing on the greed of Saul Zaentz and Tolkien Enterprises.  I couldn't give a toss about Belegus son of Weenus, or his illicit love affair with Vushkar the half-orc shieldmaiden.  And if they tread on the tale of Bilbo and Frodo yet again....what's the point?  

Brought to you by the same people who thought doing a remake of Ben Hur was a stellar idea. 

• Like 1

Amazon announced a deal this morning. It's a go.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/official-lord-rings-tv-series-gets-multiple-season-commitment-at-amazon-1057486

On 07/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, JRonnie said:

A lot harder to get that over the line given the estate still holds all the rights to the Silmarillion.

Negotiations included the estate so it's possible. The article I linked doesn't mention the Silmarillion but does mention Tolkien writings prior to the Fellowship of the Rings as being the basis for the TV show. I'm not sure what those could be that would be owned by Middle Earth Enterprises (Saul Zaentz) so I'm not sure what to expect at this point.

This is interesting

Amazon's LOTR series will be set in Middle-earth and explore new storylines preceding Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spinoff series. 

So it is a new story set in Middle-Earth, not the story of the ring.

I wonder if they will use characters for the books or all new ones.  They could do something with Aragon/Strider as a Ranger

Amazon's a complete crapshoot as what we're gonna get.

I mean, look at The Tick for crying out loud!

It looks like Christopher Tolkien is out of the picture, having resigned as the director of the Tolkien Estate. I guess that coupled with the death a while ago of Saul Zaentz means that a lot of the "obstacles" to making more material available for adaptation have now gone.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017/11/15/104426-in-historic-move-christopher-tolkien-resigns-as-director-of-tolkien-estate/

7 hours ago, Moderate Peril said:

It looks like Christopher Tolkien is out of the picture, having resigned as the director of the Tolkien Estate. I guess that coupled with the death a while ago of Saul Zaentz means that a lot of the "obstacles" to making more material available for adaptation have now gone.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2017/11/15/104426-in-historic-move-christopher-tolkien-resigns-as-director-of-tolkien-estate/

Maybe LotRO can do a FFXIV style relaunch and start exploring the fourth age?

Granted, that may be better to do as full on sequel and not carrying anything over, though.

15 hours ago, Moderate Peril said:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

Maybe LotRO can do a FFXIV style relaunch and start exploring the fourth age?

This actually opens up a whole new possibility I hadn't thought of: a Dark Souls-style game set in Beleriand. I'd love to play a character that has to go around fighting massive beasts and powerful captains of Morgoth, with insane difficulty.