Sign in to follow this  
Darmokk

Christopher Tolkien retired from estate

That may be a good thing, because it can drive interest in the LotR franchise as there's **A LOT** of good source material that someone that doesn't see TV as a new fangled fad might actually let studios start working with the material.

At the very least, we may start seeing some other movies and series exploring pre-Lord of the Rings source material.  There's **A LOT** of material to explore, and setting an MMO in a prior age could definitely be interesting.

13 hours ago, Almagnus1 said:

There's **A LOT** of material to explore...

And a lot that can be raped. Just look at how badly Shadow of War has handled Middle-earth. As much as I would like to see genuinely good interpretations, it will likely come at the cost the vast majority of adaptations being shit, and I'm not sure that's a cost/benefit I can handle.

• Upvote 1

Well, I don't think this is a bad thing.

If I had it my way they would give out licenses to make something very liberally and very cheap (with profit sharing in case of later success).

It is easy for me to not consume the garbage that is made and it clearly increases the chances that something I like is being made. Myself I perceive the Hobbit movies as clearly inferior to the LoTR movies, to the point where I don't watch the Hobbit movies. This isn't a good situation.

There could also be a varying degree, which Amazon seems to have gotten already. Highest tier includes the actual Frodo or Bilbo storylines. Second tier is other actual stories.  Third tier is the universe as defined, with only small integration of story characters allowed (as history or whatever). My understanding is that JRR Tolkien intended the latter to be free for all anyway. If so, that wish has never been respected by Christopher.

5 hours ago, Doro said:

And a lot that can be raped. Just look at how badly Shadow of War has handled Middle-earth. As much as I would like to see genuinely good interpretations, it will likely come at the cost the vast majority of adaptations being shit, and I'm not sure that's a cost/benefit I can handle.

Well, it's either we let others start adapting stuff or let the franchise die.

You can't have (or expect) everything to be great - although given how well Amazon handled The Tick, I would trust that studio to do it right.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:23 PM, Darmokk said:

Infinitely worse.  Christopher is the only human being alive that can read his father's handwriting from 80 years ago, so no more unfinished works with any semblance of integrity to the author's ideas, so prepare for wave after wave of shitty fanfic-quality novels  (think Jackson's Hobbit screenplays, but written by Stephanie Meyer).  Without a Tolkien at the reins to provide QA and prevent idiots from being idiots, we're only a few years away from a Michael Bay-directed Shadow of Mordor film featuring jacked, shirtless dwarves and elf maidens in bikinis.  And I've already voiced my thoughts about a Middle Earth TV series in another thread.  Unless they plan to explore the gnomes, the druadan, Tom Bombadil, Numenor, the Far Harad, the Blue Wizards in the east, or Valinor, it's just rehashing what's already been done to death.  Do we really need a third version of Odo Proudfoot shouting "Proudfeet"?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!!

So a random Extra Credits got me thinking about reviving the LotR license, and perhaps Tolkein Estates needs to do what Games Workshop did with the Warhammer 40k license, as seen:

I'm not sure about a licensing blitz since the LotR/Hobbit and the Silmarillion (and the rest of Tolkien's writings) are owned by two different entities. Unless I missed something. Really, it has already happened with regards to LotR material, considering all the games there has been over the last decade or so.

I guess, in theory, it could happen with 1st Age or even 2nd Age stuff.

If they ever are brought under one umbrella then all bets are off.

On 11/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, Almagnus1 said:

RISE FROM THE DEAD!!!!

So a random Extra Credits got me thinking about reviving the LotR license, and perhaps Tolkein Estates needs to do what Games Workshop did with the Warhammer 40k license, as seen:

First, the LotR licensing is done through Middle-earth Enterprises, not the Tolkien Estate.

Second, Middle-earth Enterprises (FKA Tolkien Enteprises, not related to the Tolkien Estate) has not gone the way of GW's model at all.  While, like GW, they license to anyone with a pulse, unlike GW, they don't put any real IP quality control behind their decisions, focusing instead on the return-of-profits for licensing.  Laurie Battle of MEE, said it quite plainly, in an interview (cf. Other Hands Magazine, Issue 10/11) with Professor Chris Seeman, noted Tolkienologist and publisher of the Other Hands fanzine (before MEE shut him down without mercy):

To be honest, our eye is focused on royalty income rather than on the finer details of the games themselves. None of the people on our business end is personally involved in playing these kinds of games.

So, unless MEE has changed its focus since that interview, they will be unequipped and, frankly, uninterested in pursuing GW's model.

That's really a shame, because MEE needs to change stance since gaming is such a huge industry these days (which is why EA does what it does).

Otherwise, LotR is going to revert back to some niche fantasy epic... and fade like the elves...

Fine by me.

Modern culture is saturated with LOTR to the extent that I'm tired of hearing about it (same way I feel about Star Wars, Transformers, and super heroes).  Kind of like punk bands that go mainstream, I guess.  Tired of listening to millennials pretend like they've read the books when they obviously have not ("Tauriel is my favorite character from the books!!!"), and the hypocrisy of boomers who condemned the books when they were published but consider them classics today because it's now respectable to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I like the LOTR films just fine, but The Hobbit films are just as terrible as the Star Wars prequels, and the level of fanboi hype those brought to the culture just really makes me ill.  That seems to be the mantra of the world today; "Let's take something that was great, and make it not great so the lowest denominator can appreciate it too!".