Sign in to follow this  
Almagnus1

LotRO Dev Halt?

So given https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?659910-Sev-the-Absent-Producer

Specifically:

Given everything that is going on in the gaming world right now in regards to P2W tactics and loot-boxes, isn't well past time Sev stepped in and addressed the issue?

The latest patch on BR indicates things are continuing the downward spiral, and yet...not a single word from the producer.

I would also like him to address the comments made by Cordovan in one of his live streams where it was stated that specific content for LotRO is on hold due to staff and resources being diverted to DDO.

Reading between the lines of the corporate speak, I would expect to see (sometime in early 2018) that LotRO will no longer be receiving any content updates.

I think the bastards have finally killed it.

I think they have such a small staff they will switch them between lotro and ddo - first an update for DDO, then an update for Lotro and so on, untill at least one of those titles will be unprofitable

4 hours ago, Thrabath said:

I think they have such a small staff they will switch them between lotro and ddo - first an update for DDO, then an update for Lotro and so on, untill at least one of those titles will be unprofitable

Eh... DDO updates far more frequently than LotRO does (or at least, did for many years) as DDO does at least a quarterly update, if not more frequently.

I am still sure that the large settlement of the lawsuit this summer  included all the specifics. Christopher Tolkien stepping down when exactly. LOTRO stopping what and when exactly. Amazon's TV series. All this stuff is in my opinion guaranteed to be found in there. Those settlements tend to be very exhaustive and clarify everything. Otherwise the negotiation positions are not clear. Once it takes a while every bit related to the issue at hand is clarified.

Whether there is a shutdown date for LOTRO I don't know. A development stop? Certainly.

2 hours ago, Darmokk said:

Whether there is a shutdown date for LOTRO I don't know. A development stop? Certainly.

I would expect the momentum of the player base to keep propelling the game forward for a couple of years after the dev halt.

Development stop? Game shutdown date?

The new producer's letter makes it sound like these predictions are way off base (as per usual).

7 minutes ago, FundinStrongarm said:

Development stop? Game shutdown date?

The new producer's letter makes it sound like these predictions are way off base (as per usual).

People have been predicting the end of LOTRO for over 7 years now since it went F2P in 2010. 

Far as I'm concerned, that's when LOTRO DID end.

What you're playing now is a soulless husk, propped up by trust fund babies with disposable income and extremely low expectations.  And I'll be glad when it's gone, and someone else can take a crack at a Tolkien game that stands a chance of not being thoroughly sabotaged by the people developing it.

1 hour ago, cossieuk said:

People have been predicting the end of LOTRO for over 7 years now since it went F2P in 2010. 

You think there will be another MMO set in Middle Earth once LOTRO eventually stops.

3 minutes ago, cossieuk said:

You think there will be another MMO set in Middle Earth once LOTRO eventually stops.

Not unless there's enough other LotR related content out there to bring LotR back into the public mind.

At the current point in time, the Amazon LotR series is kinda the last gasp of a dying franchise.

14 hours ago, cossieuk said:

At some point, the First and Second Age will be licensable, and licensed.  Noldor, Numenoreans, Naugrim, Druadan, the Silmarils, Angband, Finrod Felagund, Turin Turambor, Beren and Luthien....content 100x the size of the tale of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and The Ring of Doom, and Mad Baggins.

And I would like to think that there's a software company out there who could realize Gondolin without causing next-gen computers to lag and CTD simply by looking at it.

I'm not even insistent upon an MMO.  I'd be perfectly happy with an open-world sandbox (akin to Skyrim/Fallout/GTA/Just Cause) single player Middle Earth without shitty game mechanics and stupid half-ghost protagonists.  I would only be interested in multiplayer if the Tolkien aficionados who initially populated LOTRO during the golden days of SOA flocked to it, and the feckless kewl dewds that destroyed the community when it went F2P stayed the shimmering fuck away.  LOTRO had a terrific community early on, but that community is long scattered.  Only a competent Middle Earth game (MMO or otherwise) would gather them together again.

37 minutes ago, psalm8818 said:

LOTRO had a terrific community early on, but that community is long scattered.  Only a competent Middle Earth game (MMO or otherwise) would gather them together again.

I dont think that community is large enough, at least among those that play video games, to make a game profitable in the long term.  Sadly you need to appeal to those that dont care at all about the lore and just want stupid stuff like Shadow of Mordor.  

The LOTR fan base is that bit older, hence the good community, but that is not so good for a lore abiding game (even just following it a little like LOTRO did).

On 24/11/2017 at 11:08 PM, cossieuk said:

I kind of think MMOs as we remember them are a dying breed now. I would be surprised if there is another LOTR one after this is over. 

On 11/21/2017 at 4:46 AM, Almagnus1 said:

So given https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?659910-Sev-the-Absent-Producer

Specifically:

Reading between the lines of the corporate speak, I would expect to see (sometime in early 2018) that LotRO will no longer be receiving any content updates.

I think the bastards have finally killed it.

If it's the stream I'm thinking of, Cordovan clearly said that resources were being diverted because they are finalizing the Mists of Ravenloft expansion for DDO. It's due out next week. He also clearly stated that they are sharing certain teams, including art assets.

If there's any controversy surrounding this, it's either because SSG or the LOTRO players are being super-sensitive.

1 hour ago, Talisman said:

If it's the stream I'm thinking of, Cordovan clearly said that resources were being diverted because they are finalizing the Mists of Ravenloft expansion for DDO. It's due out next week. He also clearly stated that they are sharing certain teams, including art assets.

If there's any controversy surrounding this, it's either because SSG or the LOTRO players are being super-sensitive.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  If I pay a sub for a game, it's because I want to play and support that game.  It probably would have been better off if Cordovan just gave his usual "they are working on it".  The last thing someone wants to hear is that a particular type of content is currently on hold because resources (that your sub helps fund) have been diverted to another game you don't give two shits about.

6 hours ago, Papi said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  If I pay a sub for a game, it's because I want to play and support that game.  It probably would have been better off if Cordovan just gave his usual "they are working on it".  The last thing someone wants to hear is that a particular type of content is currently on hold because resources (that your sub helps fund) have been diverted to another game you don't give two shits about.

However, the truth with LotRO is that's not what's been happening with LotRO for a very, very, very long time.  Just look at how Turbine managed to piss away all the capital that LotRO was raising.