Sign in to follow this  
cukierka

LOTRO Solo and PVP

Hello. I want to ask about playing LOTRO solo. Is any sense of playing solo? And my second question is about pvp. I see on the forum a lot of active users. How pvp in-game look like? There is plenty of battle or time to time happened? I am thinking about joining in LOTRO and this is the main questions because it is important to me. How is the fastest way to make some gold?

Haven't played it for almost 5 years now, so I have no idea if anything's changed (I doubt it, since the game's not exactly the hot topic it once was).

However, if it's anything like it was then PvP is terrible. The servers were too laggy for large battles, it was mostly just a large side camping a smaller one, PvE affected buffs in PvP, there was an addition of PvP currency that crippled the Creep side, Freeps were hit hard when Turbine added trait trees and killed custom characters off, and even though there's 2 PvP maps people only played 1 they'd had for years because the other sucked. PvP was always an afterthought, a mere side addition that many found entertaining until Turbine tried to monetise it and killed it.

As for solo, it worked alright for me but that was before trait trees so I was able to make survival builds that weren't possible after Helm's Deep was released. And even if you do solo your way up, you're likely going to miss the old content as it was, and what reward is there for doing it all? It's just a long slog to grind your way to the top, and I have no idea if there's even any decent endgame waiting for you when it's done anyway.

If you aren't already invested, I'd suggest looking at a different game. I mean, if I don't even bother to play it and I can play for free with a Lifetime account and a couple of thousand hours wasted on it, then it can't be that inviting.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:15 AM, cukierka said:

Hello. I want to ask about playing LOTRO solo. Is any sense of playing solo? And my second question is about pvp. I see on the forum a lot of active users. How pvp in-game look like? There is plenty of battle or time to time happened? I am thinking about joining in LOTRO and this is the main questions because it is important to me. How is the fastest way to make some gold?

The solo experience is a grindy slog and the pvp is dead.  There are so many games out there that are much better than Lotro, and you should honestly go find one of those.

Everything the posters said is true - BUT - its Middle Earth and despite SSGs best attempts they haven't killed it totally yet - parts are still fun and satisfying for some - ymmv.

Lag is horrendous at times (even a few hours after a server restart) - quests were broken with the latest update (since patched - mostly I think) - I don't raid or PVP so can't speak to those but I see a lot of whining about both on the forums (of course its the same 4-6 people whining all the time ..)

That said - Mordor and N.Mirkwoods re-introduced some difficulty to PVE that has been gone for a long time (since Moria maybe) - I die regularly on the landscape nowadays with bad hunter pulls, etc.

I know Middle Earth is not the "end all - be all" for most but having tried many of the MMOs out there - only three -  DAOC, LOTRO and SWTOR have held my interest for more than 30 days - 

Eh, I'm on hiatus until they release a LotRO x64 client.

Until then, there's alwasy MMOs like Warframe (yes, it is an MMO) and FFXIV.

15 hours ago, Woeg said:

I know Middle Earth is not the "end all - be all" for most but having tried many of the MMOs out there - only three -  DAOC, LOTRO and SWTOR have held my interest for more than 30 days - 

For me it was WoW,  LOTRO and FF14. 

I dabble sometimes in SWTOR as a free single RPG, and right now  trying out ESO - not as bad or simplistic as its reputation. 

In LOTRO I refused to grind Hytbold, pick flowers or grind tokens. Therefore have time to check out other games. :) :) :)

On 4/16/2018 at 12:25 PM, Woeg said:

Everything the posters said is true - BUT - its Middle Earth and despite SSGs best attempts they haven't killed it totally yet - parts are still fun and satisfying for some - ymmv.

Lag is horrendous at times (even a few hours after a server restart) - quests were broken with the latest update (since patched - mostly I think) - I don't raid or PVP so can't speak to those but I see a lot of whining about both on the forums (of course its the same 4-6 people whining all the time ..)

That said - Mordor and N.Mirkwoods re-introduced some difficulty to PVE that has been gone for a long time (since Moria maybe) - I die regularly on the landscape nowadays with bad hunter pulls, etc.

God fucking dammit! It's not whining if it's true.  Years of that bullshit delegitimizing concerns that have been around for god knows how long.  The game is a boring, festering boil of shit that should die.  They've gotten by with that "only way to experience Middle Earth" bs for far too long.  If I wanted to sit and grind all day I have a perfectly nice couch.  

2 hours ago, Woeg said:

I never mentioned whining ....

On 16/04/2018 at 7:25 PM, Woeg said:

I don't raid or PVP so can't speak to those but I see a lot of whining about both on the forums (of course its the same 4-6 people whining all the time ..)

I think that's the whining he's referring to.

Ahhhh - my bad and my apologies - I guess I did mention whining  (and true or not - the way the folk on the official forums approach it is whining in my opinion - not discussion)

Edited by Woeg
added that this is my opinion - you are welcome to your own :)

9 minutes ago, Woeg said:

Ahhhh - my bad and my apologies - I guess I did mention whining  (and true or not - the way the folk on the official forums approach it is whining in my opinion - not discussion)

Not sure it would be possible to have a discussion anyway. It's not like neo-Turbine would listen. Might as well just release a bit of frustration at how crap that shambling corpse of a "game" is (and I'm honestly still surprised they have any players left... the dedication of whales is not to be underestimated).

Your right about discussion and I'm not about to defend a lot of stuff that I see as wrong with the game

I don't personally spend cash on the game other than expansions (my gaming budget goes to EU4 and CK2 expansions which I never get around to playing) and when possible I use TP to purchase them

The population is surprising and it has to be whales funding the game but there are a lot of lifers and f2p people around as well - Arkenstone seems as busy now as it ever was and I even run into people in out of the way areas where I am used to being alone

note - I'm not pretending to be this guy (like some):

Cr7JcupWYAAnu9e.jpg

fwiw - IF I was a raider or PVPer I would definitely ditch this game like it was a rotten potato

21 hours ago, Woeg said:

fwiw - IF I was a raider or PVPer I would definitely ditch this game like it was a rotten potato

The Abyss raid is good. (Though the trash part is wayyyyy too long. )

IMHO this game had once the best raid in any MMO - The Rift of Nurz Ghashu.

Basically - most of the raids in LOTRO were good or very good - the problem is - ONLY ON LEVEL, so basically - "one use only", each expansion made them obsolete. 

PvP is another matter altogether - it sucked, sucks and will suck balls. 

23 minutes ago, Jedy2 said:

The Abyss raid is good. (Though the trash part is wayyyyy too long. )

I can't find any decent videos of it, but from what I've read it sounds like three bosses and all the videos claiming a "full run" are about 10 mins long. What's the actual deal with it? BG equivalent, or as bad as the Erebor cluster?

17 hours ago, Doro said:

I can't find any decent videos of it, but from what I've read it sounds like three bosses and all the videos claiming a "full run" are about 10 mins long. What's the actual deal with it? BG equivalent, or as bad as the Erebor cluster?

It was or is easily exploitable and rumor has it that the top kins did so.  The other option was clearing the first trash on night one and then exploiting bosses and skipping the majority of trash for boss two and three.  That's why the videos are so short.

1 hour ago, Amenhir said:

It was or is easily exploitable and rumor has it that the top kins did so.  The other option was clearing the first trash on night one and then exploiting bosses and skipping the majority of trash for boss two and three.  That's why the videos are so short.

I still can't make heads nor tails of it. Something about dying, teleporting, and having a flag. There's a fight like the BG twins, one with some random evil elf guy, and a big, weirdly designed drake. There's got to be something I'm missing about all this.

10 hours ago, Doro said:

I still can't make heads nor tails of it. Something about dying, teleporting, and having a flag. There's a fight like the BG twins, one with some random evil elf guy, and a big, weirdly designed drake. There's got to be something I'm missing about all this.

When you reach certain points in the raid it allows you to use a banner at the beginning to port like a checkpoint system.  Someone who is super tanky could run through the trash pulls and trigger the checkpoint.   When they died they and the rest of the group could now skip 80% of the trash to the first boss.  That fight has two bosses and three side bosses.  The side bosses would spawn at certain morale thresholds and when they died it would heal a percentage of morale of the main bosses.  You could ignore this mechanic by simply having someone tank and kite the side bosses until the main bosses were dead and still get the challenge.  Bosses are dead there is nothing to heal.

The second boss trash has ways to skip a large portion of trash and that boss fight had something to do with jumping on a broken pillar and avoiding all of the mechanics and damage.  There might have been other methods but I don't know what those were.  

It was a broken mess and many of the "premiere" raiding kins found these on bullroarer and for about a month practiced the raid.  On the day that it was released some kins got the "original" title in as little as 45 minutes to an hour.   It was a total joke.  Sadly several of the raiding kins and pvpers are just garbage human beings.  The quality of the community has been circling the toilet for a long time and it's about time it got flushed.

• Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, cukierka said:

Turbine/Warner Brothers/Standing Stone Games have consistently watered down LOTRO to where playing solo is the ONLY way to play.  A Loremaster can now literally level by simply putting a pet on aggressive and going afk.  There is zero challenge in playing LOTRO landscape now (until you hit Mordor, which is designed for hardcore gamers).  Other than being social (and extremely inefficient), there is absolutely no reason to group in LOTRO until you hit max level...not even to "learn how to play your class", because mods die so quickly while leveling up, there's just no way to learn how to do anything other than to spam a basic attack in order to try to land ONE hit before the boss dies.

No two ways about it, LOTRO has become a massively shitty game, and most of the people who still shill for it are huge wankers with very low standards and even lower expectations.  The only reason it hasn't been cancelled is because of the whales buying cosmetics in the store.  Even the dev team has given up on LOTRO, and it has been limping along in maintenance mode for years, despite the new "content".  The Beorning class is still in alpha development, there are still bugs in the game that have existed since 2010, the latest expansion has thrown all illusions of adhering to Tolkien lore out the window, crafting has become all but meaningless, and gameplay has been dumbed down to the point where a dog or a cat can literally maintain top DPS on a raid mob.

There's just no point in LOTRO anymore.  99% of the founders are gone, and the community has devolved into one of the most toxic group of hive-mind sycophants I've ever seen...and I played Star Wars Galaxies FFS.