Hajile

The things I have said that Sapience does not like.

1,120 posts in this topic

New poster here myself, I saw this site linked in the 100TP thread but alas it was dark yesterday for a great cause. I particularly drawn to this thread because I too have had some questionable experiences in the lotro forums, starting with the Sap Sapience and now with the new forum overlord Celestra. I wont deny in the past I made some posts that are more than worthy of an infraction,they date back to the start of PVP and at launch a RL enemy of mine was also playing the game and lots was said between us that had nothing to do with lotro just happened on the forums. To make a long story short with the launch of f2p they rewrote forum guidelines making expired infractions still count towards a lifetime ban and with one recent infraction commenting on their horrible handling of a failed lottery I was handed and immediate lifetime ban. In appealing my ban over EXPIRED infractions I asked if I could renew my sub with an EXPIRED credit card...they said no. My wife who also plays made an innocent post on the forums reguarding Gestapo like banning techniques and was immediately given a lifetime ban herself. Multiple emailed tickets were sent and never replied too. Being an evil little cookie I made a f2p forums and started posting about LACK of response, it led to Celestra calling me a liar on the forums and making threats against my game account among other things (I have screens of all her antics)She did go on to say my wife was banned because they assumed it was I (10000% wrong b*tch)and stated my wife will continue to have a lifetime ban (for no reason other than Celestra is a b*tch) and could careless if we cancelled our subs. First of all she has gone way over the line, she has forgotten she is just a forums peon, but my personal interest is to escalate this at Turbine and would like to know who the OP contacted about Saps misconducts because I refuse to sit by and be called a liar and watching my wifes account get a lifetime ban for no reason.

My wife who also plays made an innocent post on the forums reguarding Gestapo like banning techniques and was immediately given a lifetime ban herself.

I'm sorry to just pick one sentence here but there are no such things as innocent post reference Gestapo. I understand your upset and all but it seems to me you and your wife reactions were simply pouring gasoline on a fire. I don't know if the original actions were justified but what seems to follow doesn't make you look innocent either.

I'm sorry to just pick one sentence here but there are no such things as innocent post reference Gestapo. I understand your upset and all but it seems to me you and your wife reactions were simply pouring gasoline on a fire. I don't know if the original actions were justified but what seems to follow doesn't make you look innocent either.

She never said Gestapo, thats my term for it,the post was along the lines of why can you get away with murder in game, but the forums are so strict. The answer is easy because banning people in game doesnt make money, but keeping to forums clean does...it was a large thread and she wasnt even the OP, thread is deleted of course. Im not arguing my ban even though banning for expired infractions is rediculous, why the hell do they expire then? But more for Celestras actions towards my wife and her actions towards me afterwards and threatening to have our game accounts banned for arguing her dumb ass actions against my wifes account.

If you read about actual Gestapo interrogation techniques you will see how close they really are to some of the truth twisting and rule bending that is going on on the LOTRO forums.

Being an evil little cookie I made a f2p forums and started posting about LACK of response, it led to Celestra calling me a liar on the forums and making threats against my game account among other things (I have screens of all her antics)

Those may be worth seeing. Care to share?

First time poster here too… and for the first time, just had one of my posts deleted off a thread on the LOTRO forums. Honestly, I cannot figure out exactly what “forum rule” I broke with my post to deserve the deletion. I’m a bit frustrated by this.

Just cause I’m venting, … On the post where they’re discussing the new armor being sold in the store, someone was upset at the lack of “feedback” from Turbine. My post simply stated that there was ample feedback but they were looking in the wrong spot. All they had to do was log into the game and open the store and they’d see all the feedback they wanted.

Then I noticed another interesting thing… When I originally posted, my post was about the 6th or 7th on page 71. After I found my post deleted, I did some searching to find “forum rules”, frustrated with that search, I went back to the “store feedback forum” and noticed that there were only 70 pages, so I clicked in to see page 70, and there were only 2 posts on page 70. They were so busy in those 10 minutes….<delete> ….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>

Celestra had it very clear in a post in the "armour in shop" thread.

She (he?) declared that there was fighting and the posts were removed. Except there was no fighting (rarely did the LOTRO community agree on anything in this manner) but that's the trail they leave for the public to see when it comes to questioning where some posts went.

Always remember: Turbine has the right to do whatever the heck they want on their forum. But for PR reasons they prefer to pretend that they follow a set of published rules.

First time poster here too… and for the first time, just had one of my posts deleted off a thread on the LOTRO forums. Honestly, I cannot figure out exactly what “forum rule” I broke with my post to deserve the deletion. I’m a bit frustrated by this.

Just cause I’m venting, … On the post where they’re discussing the new armor being sold in the store, someone was upset at the lack of “feedback” from Turbine. My post simply stated that there was ample feedback but they were looking in the wrong spot. All they had to do was log into the game and open the store and they’d see all the feedback they wanted.

Then I noticed another interesting thing… When I originally posted, my post was about the 6th or 7th on page 71. After I found my post deleted, I did some searching to find “forum rules”, frustrated with that search, I went back to the “store feedback forum” and noticed that there were only 70 pages, so I clicked in to see page 70, and there were only 2 posts on page 70. They were so busy in those 10 minutes….<delete> ….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>….<delete>

Send Celestrata a PM and ask her what happened to your post, and if it was deleted why no one told you a reason for it being deleted.

First of all she has gone way over the line, she has forgotten she is just a forums peon, but my personal interest is to escalate this at Turbine and would like to know who the OP contacted about Saps misconducts because I refuse to sit by and be called a liar and watching my wifes account get a lifetime ban for no reason.

Cool down... there's several people here that have proven that there's really not much you can do at Turbine. The first station for all complaints is the Community Manager, which just happens to be Sapience himself. And if you even manage to get a more senior person involved, they'll check the facts with the Community department aka Sapience. And Turbine really has no problem whatsover with banning people by affiliation. There'll be 10 other customers instead of you.

You know what's fun? Tracking the post count of the Armor-in-the-store thread. The day after it hit 1000, I've seen it nearly hit 1100 (something like 1080)... yesterday it went from 1060-ish to 1040 and today we're back in the 1060 again. I should have made a little tool to check it hourly and make a graph out of it :P. Ofcourse it could just be the forums being buggy, because the page-count went from 60 to 70 in the same time (with 15 posts per page)...

She (he?) declared that there was fighting and the posts were removed. Except there was no fighting (rarely did the LOTRO community agree on anything in this manner) but that's the trail they leave for the public to see when it comes to questioning where some posts went.

According to Sapience, the execs get a number of posts, number of unique posters, and overall tone of the thread.

When the number of unique posters in the NAY category gets too high in comparison to the fanbois, what better way to fix that ratio than to claim "fighting" and use that as an excuse to delete a bunch of posts from those who have only posted once or twice in the thread.

I will wander off-topic slightly for a moment to make this observation...I've given out more rep this week, in that thread, than I have at any time since the rep system was introduced.

Make of that what you will.

;)

I will wander off-topic slightly for a moment to make this observation...I've given out more rep this week, in that thread, than I have at any time since the rep system was introduced.

Make of that what you will.

;)

I have too!

Looks like they deleted all my posts in the armour thread in the last 24 hours. I think I saved a few but what do I care?

Posting here to save it.

I'm sure many others have stated this but their posts have been lost to the pages of this thread.

Turbine made a big point of saying that only convenience not advantage would be placed in the Store and that they would never put statted armour in the Store.

As we all know, Turbine broke the former promise ages ago so now all but the tattered remains are left hanging to be shot at.

The latter, however, is the recent breaking of their word. They knew what they were doing when the put it in. Their excuse for this? That it's low level armour, that there isn't enough low level armour on the AH and that it's not as good as some armour you can get.

Firstly, it doesn't matter that it's low level, it's that it's clearly the first step in putting high level gear in and that they've broken their word.

Secondly, saying that there isn't enough on the AH for low levels is ridiculous since, if that's the case, just add a vendor that sells low level armour at the same strength as crafted. The Store was not needed but Turbine couldn't pass up a chance to squeeze yet more money out of this dying cow.

Finally, that it isn't the best set at those levels. Players have already checked this and it's just a completely fallacious statement. The Store bought armour is actually the best set for those low levels and saying otherwise is misrepresenting the truth.

The best bit about all of this? Turbine has found a way to use player demands to fuel their Store. All those things we've asked for over the years and now not been given are taking a back seat to things like this.

Brilliantly, what they've done is put a load of new players on to the idea of armour from the Store. They'll buy it and play through the levels, confused as to why they're being rewarded armour from quests when they don't need it thanks to the Store. Then, when they've out levelled it, they'll complain that there isn't higher level armour for them. Turbine will then gladly meet their need and add high level armour to the Store because they're 'meeting player demand'. They've effectively created their own monster and they're ecstatic about it.

So it seems Turbine has broken their word, yet again, to add armour to the Store for a fallacious demand which will then help them later when 'genuine' demands are made for high level gear.

Good work, Turbine.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?440377-What-is-new-in-the-store-armors&p=5942975#post5942975

Looks like they deleted all my posts in the armour thread in the last 24 hours. I think I saved a few but what do I care?

You made too much sense! :D

Posting here to save it.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?440377-What-is-new-in-the-store-armors&p=5942975#post5942975

And this is the heart of the issue regarding F2P in general: the developer controls the supply of "goods" and can artificially create demand by changing the game.

As long as they stick to things like cosmetic items and "pure convenience" items like storage (more arguable, but manipulating the demand for more storage is a lot harder to accomplish), F2P stores can be fine. Even "grind reduction" items can be OK if they reduce an already existing grind, though the line gets a lot finer when new grinds are introduced. But once you get consumables (oh, look, they added store-bought potions that cure three "conditions" right around the same time they introduced an instance cluster with more "conditions" being applied than ever before), basic statistics (oh, look, they added stat tomes and then redid the stat system to make stacking stats more desirable), and equipment (oh, look, in the interests of creating a more dynamic player-based economy they added store-bought crafting tools that compete directly with crafted crafting tools and store-bought armor that competes directly with crafted armor), then you're not starting down a slippery slope, you're actually quite a ways down that slope and accelerating rapidly.

The reality of the Turbine F2P model is that it's very similar to the coal mining industry around the turn of the century in the US. If you were a coal miner, you lived in housing supplied by the mining company (and paid rent determined by the mining company), you wore clothing sold in the company store, and you used safety equipment and tools sold in the company store (and you could only use that equipment and those tools, because they were "certified" by the company for "your safety and that of your colleagues"). Sure, you weren't a "slave" because you could quit your job; good luck finding another one, though.

Well, sure, people could stop playing the only Tolkien-based MMO; good luck finding another one based on that same body of work, though.

I recall a time when the economy and it's balance when it comes to player's crafted items, materials collected and selling mechanism was considered a very important thing for any MMO. It was considered a critical mechanism for player retention.

Problem is, player retention plays no role for Turbine. They are trying to turn the game into a theme park like thing that you visit for a short time, spend $40-$200, then leave and maybe come back next year to spend another $40-$200.

What a disgusting company Turbine have become. How could they have fallen so low in a couple of years? I really could not fault them during 2007-2008, but in the past couple of years they have been terrible.

What I want to know is why they suddenly stopped caring about their players around 2009-2010? Was that Warner Brothers, or perhaps something else?

Turbine, what have you become?

What I want to know is why they suddenly stopped caring about their players around 2009-2010? Was that Warner Brothers, or perhaps something else?

right around the time Patience left Turbine was when i noticed the change in their attitude towards their customers.

at first it was just on the forums, but then it started showing up in the game.

Guys, names of Turbine employees are dodgy enough. Personal details are NOT to be posted, unless that person publicly releases them.

Uhm, it IS publicly available. Obviously. By the person in question no less. But I digress.

Without a doubt, but perhaps there are things about Mr. Brennan that are best left unsaid. Now, where's that steel wool for my brain ... ?

Without a doubt, but perhaps there are things about Mr. Brennan that are best left unsaid. Now, where's that steel wool for my brain ... ?

I would lend you my steel wool but sadly I had to throw it out. Never had the remains of a cleaning binge look so bad before.

Indeed, Celestrata gave that interview. But anyway, it's beside the point.

Whether dude, lady or transgendered, what matters is not what they are, it's how they are(as regards behaviour and attitude towards others).

I couldn't give a rats backside what people choose to do when they're not in work, or how to live those lives.

What I do care about is what they choose to do when they are in work.

And the less I say about that, the better, I think.

I'm currently on an extended LOTRO break in any case.

How long depends on many different things.