Rosiebelle

Official forums down

Anyone having problems with Casual Stroll to Mordor as well?

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-GB&site=http://www.casualstrolltomordor.com/

CSTM has been targetted by some russian scriptkiddie who replaced some things with nasty stuff. They've cleaned it up by now.

"What is the current listing status for casualstrolltomordor.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this website may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 4 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-10-11, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-10-11."

Then goes on to say something about a dodgy Russian sounding URL - looks like they might have got hit by malware.

Perhaps Turbine is suffering from the same problems as Blackberry

Also I tries to get on the forum last night at around 9:30 pm and they were down, so they have been down for at least 17 hours

Read the linked posts from the German part of the forum. The mySQL server allowed anonymous access from the web and contained all (>1.2M!) account details. Reason enough to take things downs. And nice communication again from Turbine...

Read the linked posts from the German part of the forum. The mySQL server allowed anonymous access from the web and contained all (>1.2M!) account details. Reason enough to take things downs. And nice communication again from Turbine...

Was access to credit/debit card details obtainable? I suppose now would be a good time to change my password....

According to freundlich, it was.

Well I have tweeted one of the BBC's technology correspondents. If they won't give us any info maybe a phone call or two from the media will get things moving.

According to freundlich, it was.

So time to cancel cards and have them reissued? AFAIK I wasnt required to enter anything on my side when making purchases from the lotro store as they held all the information already? Would this not have been encrypeted in the database?

The silence from turbine on this is shocking....

So time to cancel cards and have them reissued? AFAIK I wasnt required to enter anything on my side when making purchases from the lotro store as they held all the information already? Would this not have been encrypeted in the database?

The silence from turbine on this is shocking....

myaccount is still up and accessible.

IF someone was able to get logins/pw from the forum leak then thye could get into it.

in most cases the hackers do not take action on such things right away, but sit on it and maybe sell it to someone else.

either way, just to be safe i would suggest changing your account password ASAP.

Would changing your password before the problem is fixed not be a waste of time?

So the forums have now been offline for about 19 hours. The last thing we heard was "The LOTRO Forums are currently unavailable. We do not have an ETA for their return at this time." on their Twitter page, which was posted over 11 hours ago.

This is the only information we've had, and if you're not on their Twitter page you won't know anything. This is not good at all Turbine.

• Upvote 1

I've posted a link on Facebook directing people here for latest info (should there be any) (a few of my kin and other LOTR freinds are on FB) and also e-mailed a few of the likely gamers at work.

Would changing your password before the problem is fixed not be a waste of time?

myaccount is not connected to the community sites.

they just stupidly share the same login/pw.

i do not see how they could get the changed password with the forums down.

changing our password is the best thing we can do right now to protect ourselves.

just in case.

one would think if this was a hack there would be messages on twitter/facebook and emails sent out telling folks to change their passwords long before now.

but just in case ive changed mine.

I guess Turbine has never heard of restricting DB usage to localhost? :P (But speaking seriously, it is likely more complex than that.)

Fortunately they don't have any payment details from me as I am a lifer, and I have never made any TP purchases that would have left information on their servers. I'm not sure if my login info is potentially compromised, as my gaming account never had a forum connection, but I suppose I'll change my password just in case.

Seems they could merely mention that they've discovered a vulnerability and hope to have it fixed and back up soon. No need to go into too much detail at this point, but they really should at least pretend to care about the players and keeping them informed.

What are they thinking? Honestly, there seems to be nobody but morons and idiots working PR over there. If they choose to try to cover this up (which, for some strange reason I believe is possibly being considered), it will only bite them in the arse.

Communication is the key in situations like this, even if the vulnerability hasn't been significantly exploited by "bad guys." If it has been significantly exploited, covering up or delaying that information could easily mean the end of Turbine.

IMHO

• Upvote 1

I guess Turbine has never heard of restricting DB usage to localhost? :P (But speaking seriously, it is likely more complex than that.)

Fortunately they don't have any payment details from me as I am a lifer, and I have never made any TP purchases that would have left information on their servers. I'm not sure if my login info is potentially compromised, as my gaming account never had a forum connection, but I suppose I'll change my password just in case.

same here, but i wouldnt want gold seller getting access to my stuff and making a buck off of it.

just got an text message from a kinmate that they posted to the facebook wall asking what was going on and if they should change their passwords.

it got removed from the wall almost at once.

interesting, no?

The more they try and hush this up the more it's going to stink stink stink. Smelling like year old socks that have never been washed as it is.

just got an text message from a kinmate that they posted to the facebook wall asking what was going on and if they should change their passwords.

it got removed from the wall almost at once.

interesting, no?

Can they do the same with tweets?

They can't if you are tweeting to someone else I think (that might come up in a search or trend) but I don't know if they can delete tweets sent to their own account. I tried doing a search for Turbine forums and nothing came up at all.

The more they try and hush this up the more it's going to stink stink stink. Smelling like year old socks that have never been washed as it is.

only if it was an attack.

there is the possibility their web guys were doing something and fracked things up causing the leak.

but Sapience has made us so paranoid it is hard to see anything but the worst in a situation involving turbine.

and that is pretty sad :'(

I posted on their facebook page seeking information on the outage(I didnt mention anything about a security breach) and the post was deleted within seconds.