Rosiebelle

Official forums down

So they can update their Twitter with pointless things like this:

New #WHITEHAND sighting! http://ow.ly/6V41V RT this by 2PM Eastern for a chance to win 1 of 3 ROI Legendary codes! #LOTRO

But they can't update about the forums being offline?

Well warner brothers e-mail domain seems to be @warnerbros.com and the Chairman of Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment is Martin Tremblay. So what the hell I'll take a shot and try and guess his e-mail address and send him an e-mail. Anything is worth a try.

Edit - domain may be wbie.com - trying both.

Edit - got a faliure message on the first domain. Have not received a faliure message on the second :)

So they can update their Twitter with pointless things like this:

New #WHITEHAND sighting! http://ow.ly/6V41V RT this by 2PM Eastern for a chance to win 1 of 3 ROI Legendary codes! #LOTRO

But they can't update about the forums being offline?

They are trying to hide any comments about what happened with a spam of people retweeting this offer - the only thing you can really see when looking at the #lotro tag at the moment are the retweets, anything about the breach is low-low below and hard to spot.

This happened before when people tried to post about them removing official responses from forums etc.

Have we all checked our game characters for theft yet?

Something else interesting I just noticed that is different from earlier. I know I had entries for lotteries ending on 12 October. Now when I go to the lotteries page it says I have no current entries.

Maybe we should start a counter offensive and start our own competition. Everybody, who retweets our complains, takes part in a competition :)

Have we all checked our game characters for theft yet?

well this is my normal online time so im good there.

but i doubt any account stealing would have happened yet.

Maybe we should start a counter offensive and start our own competition. Everybody, who retweets our complains, takes part in a competition :)

Randomly selected winner gets a forum title?

All my characters that I can see via the widgets still have all their paltry sums of gold (if the widgets are updating properly). I'm at work so can't log into the game. Is there much chatter on global about the forums or has the word "forum" been added to the naughty words filter?

Decided to change my password and noticed something strange. According to my account history, I was part of the RoI Beta. I didn't even know I was, didn't even get an email from them to tell me. So I sat on an account that could have been testing RoI completely ignorant of it. Fun times.

Randomly selected winner gets a forum title?

*O* *O* *O*

Something else interesting I just noticed that is different from earlier. I know I had entries for lotteries ending on 12 October. Now when I go to the lotteries page it says I have no current entries.

The lotteries finished at 11 am ESB which is 4 pm in the UK so they should have disappeared

You are right. It is the 12th already. I am in denial about the date because I have a horrible hospital appointment tommorow!

I had nothing to do with that, honest O-)

All my characters that I can see via the widgets still have all their paltry sums of gold (if the widgets are updating properly). I'm at work so can't log into the game. Is there much chatter on global about the forums or has the word "forum" been added to the naughty words filter?

i tried bringin it up a couple time and no one seemed to care...lol

Given that there was over 1 million accounts in the DB does this mean we finally have an idea of the population of LOTRO

Given that there was over 1 million accounts in the DB does this mean we finally have an idea of the population of LOTRO

Hmmm.... over 1 million different people emailadresses have played 1 or more days? registered an account?

You know, the fact that Turbine has ignored this danger since they first tied the forums to actual game accounts despite repeated warnings over and over again from their players is bad enough. But, then to find out that their data has been open for public access all this time on top of it all is absolutely stunning. It's almost unbelievable that they would be this careless with their customers' data. It goes well beyond incompetence. Well beyond.

Comparisons to the carelessness of Sony in how they handled their customers' sensitive information is appropriate, in my humble opinion. This ranks right up there with that.

Looks like Turbine is finally paying the price for rushing a new community site, launch it half-working and then never polish it up. Deserved^3.

Who wants to take a bet whether the encrypted passwords were salted or not?

And you know what the best part is?

Who wants to take a bet whether the encrypted passwords were salted or not?

It appears they were not from other posts I have read.

It appears they were not from other posts I have read.

Of course not. The vbulletin password store would have salted the password when encrypting. But Turbine in their wisdom had decided to not use the vbulletin password store and roll their own (among other things that's why you get the "sp_login?" crap after a timeout).

And I think nobody here has any illusions how much energy Turbine spends on the forum and community site. As long as it's pretty that's fine with them. My bet is on a totally naive security by obscurity approach and no salt.

I just hope I find my characters intact when I log in again.

And I think nobody here has any illusions how much energy Turbine spends on the forum and community site. As long as it's pretty that's fine with them.

That seems to be how they're approaching the game's development, too.

We shouldn't be too surprised...

They are trying to hide any comments about what happened with a spam of people retweeting this offer - the only thing you can really see when looking at the #lotro tag at the moment are the retweets, anything about the breach is low-low below and hard to spot.

This happened before when people tried to post about them removing official responses from forums etc.

Actually this give away has been going on everyday for a few weeks now. They're not trying to hide anything with this, they're just sticking their heads in the sand.

Edit: And now they've added a flash lottery too so maybe they are trying to drown out the noise.

Actually this give away has been going on everyday for a few weeks now. They're not trying to hide anything with this, they're just sticking their heads in the sand.

Edit: And now they've added a flash lottery too so maybe they are trying to drown out the noise.

The Romans had a term for distractions like this: panem et circenses