A while ago I needed something better than the LoTRO ABC Player and various MIDI tools to convert MIDIs to ABCs, for my band-playing hobbit Firefern. I wrote a script that ran on my Linux computer and took a very hard to grasp config file to sort out a MIDI into several ABCs for the band to play. This seemed useful for others too, but the script wasn't portable.
Instead I wrote a web interface with an ABC database, so others could use it.
The converter is here: http://fefeconv.mirar.org/
You will first be presented with all the songs that are open to use for anyone. To convert something, create an account and upload a MIDI (the MIDI itself will not be published or downloadable!). Use the Help function to see what you should do.
What it can handle that might be useful:
- splitting a MIDI into channels (track/channel/instrument and if you want tone range)
- combining them back into ABC parts,
- and combining those parts back into band sizes and instrument variations (I call it "ensembles")
- (and it has a function to figure out who in your band will play which part too)
- octave shifting of the ingoing channels
- handle tempo changes by over- and resampling
- intensity (and intensity changes) from MIDI instrument and volume levels to ABC +ff+ etc
- intensity change of the ingoing channels
- fadeout (more silent at the end for a nicer ending)
- preview with MIDI download so you can work or pick a song without being in the game
- decent drum conversion per default with optional custom drum conversions
You don't have to use it. But since I made it anyway, I thought I'd present it in case someone might find it useful.
Feel free to use the songs, too.