LOTROCommunity

/roll spoofing

thordsvin

I much prefer a standard roll/pass, or master looter. You can't fake that. Some people are loot whores who will take everything whether they need it or not. No, I don't know why. Adequacy issues maybe. I think I'll jump into game and test out if it's possible to cheat the emote, rendering it useless by using the /emote command. If so, I predict it gets dropped FAST as a means of determining master loot handouts.

EDIT:: No, you can't cheat it using /emote. I compared. You can output the text, but the color is off, unless you changed the emote text output yourself perhaps, but it's pretty obvious it's not the same thing without having your own player emotes colorized to the same color. Likely this is a haste thing if it is happening, it should be way easy to catch someone doing that.

I've tested and verified this in-game, and I'm afraid it's not only the emote 'channel' that's vulnerable to spoofing. Any channel that doesn't have end-quotes ' at the end of a user chat input can be used to this end (others could be used as well, but having a ' at the end of the /roll message is kind of a strong give-away). That includes Kinship, Officer, Raid, Fellowship. Basically the only way to make sure you're seeing *actual* rolls is to have a tab where not a single filter is active for channels that allow user input. A kinnie came up with an elegant solution: turn on the filter for 'Standard' on your Combat tab. Only combat events and client-generated messages (such as /roll) will get displayed there. You can even turn on that filter right before looting the chest, so the tab itself doesn't get crowded with all kinds of 'standard' messages during the fight.

If you don't believe it, I can easily whip up a screenie showing what took me literally *one minute* to set up. The colouring is very hardly noticeably different to the standard client colour, so I'm sure that if you spent about 10 minutes tweaking it, nobody could tell the difference from colour alone. The line spacing for the spoofed version is quite obvious though - a normal roll will have visibly more room above it, between the roll and the previous line in chat, than the spoofed version does.

Very disappointed that the thread has been removed already, although I have to admit that it was becoming a kind of "how to cheat" thread, at least it had that potential.

[EDIT]

I'm pretty sure when you change chat-box colors that only effects your display, not others. So the color-change thing alone wouldn't do it, this must be more than that.

This hasn't been true for a long time. There are several plugins out there that allow you to post messages in any colour you desire, and they'll show up in that colour for everyone, overriding whatever settings the recipient has. Some, not all, also offer to send (part of) the message in the colour as specified by the recipient, so kind of 'blank', if you will. This is why the spoof also works for channels that typically are set to different colours for different people, like raid, fellowship, kinship, officer.

And ... the topic is gone ... soon to be replaced with several "How do I stop my fellow raiders from cheating on rolls with plug-ins?" topics.

Wow. If Turbine thinks this is how to stop the roll scamming they are wrong. This is a major problem if this becomes rampant but hiding this type of information only helps the scammers and not the community at large. Apparently before this post this was possible but I had no idea. I could have easily fallen prey to this in the past and never have known. This is an issue that Turbine needs to address for the sake of the community. This is something every player needs to know about.

Seems it can be done if this picture from the thread is real

ScreenShot04866.jpg

There is an easy way to not be fooled, turn off emotes

Here's another image from that thread that better represents what to expect.

ScreenShot04861.jpg

the image cossieuk posted was a reply to my comment suggesting a Roll chat channel could alleviate the problem.

Here's another image from that thread that better represents what to expect.

ScreenShot04861.jpg

the image cossieuk posted was a reply to my comment suggesting a Roll chat channel could alleviate the problem.

Here's what it looks like if you do it 'properly'. First you'll see one line in a certain channel, whether it be an emote or simply someone saying something in any of the chat channels I mentioned, then the spoofed roll.

dirtytricks.jpg

Note the colours of my spoofed roll and the automated 'error' message, which is client generated (in this case by me typing /joinchannel GlobalLFF, while already in that channel). As said, this only took me about a minute to set up, and it's already very hard to tell the difference. Can get much closer to the exact colour by just spending some more time trial-and-errorring.

[EDIT] edited cause the word "properly" wasn't in quotes... I truly despise anyone who uses this to grab loot that they have no claim to, I just want to make it very clear how 'real' it can look! I really hope a lot of people hear about this and start monitoring the 'standard' channel for /rolls!!

What is everyone's thought about the "cheat" tool that was shown? Are those really in the game? If so, how could it get there other than from a Turbine employee?

There is a plugin called compendium. You can post anything in the plugin to a chat channel but the plugin makes it very obvious that it was used and this item is not in someones bag. With someone research/editing it shouldn't be difficult to modify this post any itemID into chat. You could probably even turn on chat logging, run a loop, and try every possible itemID to get yourself a list of every item implemented in the code. The person probably didn't have this item but knew how to post it to a chat channel.

It's very sad. I've always thought that, although I can understand people cheating for real material gain, if you cheat in a game which you play for fun, you're mainly cheating against yourself. I can see that this feature is a problem though. I found ages ago that I could put "Brrokk rolled (100): 101" into the fellowship text as a joke, but I didn't know about the colour changing. This needs to be fixed.

Looks like they have moved the thread over at the T forums into hiding. On the one hand I can understand not wanting the exploit to become widespread but let's hope they are also in the "fix-it" mode or it becomes another "hide-your-head-in-the-sand" situation for them.

If that were the case they could have added a sticky to warn everyone and locked so no explanation could be given.

Well I did see colored chat from a player in the party tree area a couple days ago, so if that can done, anything can be done. Must be hypermarkup or something being sent in chat. Maybe be even a copy/paste from a color coded word processor text line.

Maybe it's that Rainbow thing I've been hearing about.

I've since looked up and checked rainbow. That thing needs to be turned off immediately and thrown out. What a tool for someone to make......grrrrr...

Hmm.. I have pretty much stopped playing the game, apart from an occasional visit to admire the views... but I have to say that things like this are a natural consequence of adding the store to the game. It has created a direct link between "real world" money and stuff in-game that never existed before the P2P era.

Yes there was cheating before, I am sure, but now it is actually worth someone investing the time and effort in creating these cheats because they may gain an "advantage" that the cheater can sell on for "real money" in an economy exchange rate that has been created by Warner/Turbine.

I am saddened that a game that I thoroughly enjoyed for 4(?) years or so has deteriorated in to it's current state that is dominated by a "Pay2Win, or cheat to get there" culture. :N

ByeBye LoTRO :w

(Oh look, 6 days to Skyrim :Y )

Thanks for that information.

So all i can do by now to prepare myself is to use a chatwindow with every filter enalbed (= no hook) except the 'standard'-filter. Did i get this right?

Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,

and then the different branches of Arithmetic -

Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.

Totally side-tracking, for just one moment, I love this! :Y Sounds like the basic qualfications required for a politician, or for Turbine's best-loved (beloathed?) community manager... ;)

Thanks for that information.

So all i can do by now to prepare myself is to use a chatwindow with every filter enalbed (= no hook) except the 'standard'-filter. Did i get this right?

The 2 best options are creating a new tab and only enable the Standard channel or adding the Standard channel to your combat tab. Personally, I chose the latter.

The 2 best options are creating a new tab and only enable the Standard channel or adding the Standard channel to your combat tab. Personally, I chose the latter.

Yeah me too. Just enable the 'Standard' filter on the combat tab when it's time to roll for stuff.

But easier still is to use the RaidRolls plugin, since that also only grabs real rolls AND it only grabs the first roll from any person, so in a big raid there's no way someone can sneak in a second roll to try and improve.

Just open up a tab, and have only standard in it, and that should keep only actual rolls showing. The plugin has no way to send to that channel afaik, though you never know, now that they've been found out, they may try and adapt it. So I hope that T just looks for and shuts off LUA for that client totally, forcing whoever is using it to disable it or have no LUA at all.

Just open up a tab, and have only standard in it, and that should keep only actual rolls showing. The plugin has no way to send to that channel afaik, though you never know, now that they've been found out, they may try and adapt it. So I hope that T just looks for and shuts off LUA for that client totally, forcing whoever is using it to disable it or have no LUA at all.

Couple of things...

1. some people already have the maximum of 2 user-created tabs open, so the option to use the Combat tab instead is very useful.

2. as far as I know, you're right about the 'standard' channel. The only way I know of to write to that channel is to use the Turbine.Shell.WriteLine command, but that only shows up for the person who's running the plugin, not for others.

3. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that "shutting off LUA" for a specific person is possible. More likely to get banned rather than something like that happening anyway. Unless you mean that they should block that (type of) plugin, which I simply disagree with. And they're not likely to do that anyway, I think.

Well, Cel responded that they are aware of it and looking into it, take that for what it's worth. If a month from now people are still roll spoofing, I guess you can say they condone it, or don't give a rats rear end about people cheating other gamers. Cheating in an MMO is supposed to be a high priority item, although the only people being cheated are players, not the client or server software, so they might just place it on the bottom of a very tall list of issues.