LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
MueR

Advertisements on the forum

Hi all,

As some of you might have seen, there's a new banner position at the top of the page. I've decided to put up a banner there to pay for the forum software license.

I'm trying to narrow down the types of banners that are shown, to exclude certain things like gambling and the financial scams. While I do believe Google AdSense does a good job filtering those, I can't give 100% guarantee. If you see a banner you think is inappropriate, please do the following:

• Copy the url the banner points to (right click on banner, copy link)
  • Post the link in the Suggestions forum

Please report a banner if...

• it makes sound automatically (eg, without you moving your mouse on it);
  • it opens popups without you clicking on it;
  • it breaks out of it's small little box;
  • it is one of the flickering things that just hurt eyes;
  • anything other that annoys or upsets you

Good to know, thanks. I use Google Adsense on my website, and overall it's pretty good. I've only had to block a handful of URLs (gold-sellers and power-leveling services), if you want I'll make a copy of my Blocked list and post it in Suggestions.

I'm using Adblock for Firefox. Their latest update sets it, by default, to allow non-intrusive ads.

I have adblock disabled for this forum, but was wondering if this might be of interest to you. Not sure if your ad supplier fits into adblocks category, but I do support this sentiment. I don't mind advertisement if it's to finance a site I enjoy. I just hate it, when all that blinking and flashing and popping-up doesn't let me focus on the text I want to read. :)

(I'm also using Ghostery, which blocks Doubleclick and Google Adsense. Too bad I can't allow it on lotrocommunity only. I have to manually unblock, click the ads and block it again :()

Have you thought about taking donations to help the running of this forum? I wouldn't mind winging some money your way.

PJ.

My maiden post. Hello! *waves*

I've been lurking here for a long time, but I usually use FireFox with AdBlock fully enabled, and so I've never seen any ads here.

Today - after Turbine's final step "beyond the pale" (the introduction of the in-Store statted Armour) - I finally couldn't resist registering here so that I can post comments, even though this will probably hail the auto-deletion of every post I've ever made (or will ever make) "over there", seeing as I'm not exactly a fan of what Turbine has done to the game since F2P came in, and my posts are always about a nano-millimetre on the right side of the black hole of oblivion on the LotRO Forums. To be honest, I'm so disillusioned these days about LotRO's present and future direction that I don't even care any more if my lengthy rants on those Forums ARE deleted. I bet nobody reads them anyway, essays as they are!

Anyway. How's about *this* for the ultimate irony? I'm trying Chrome for a change, without AdBlock, and so today - for the first time - I'm viewing Lotrocommunity.com *with* ads. I really had to chuckle when, on first registering and being returned to the site as an actual member, the first banner ad at the top of the first page I saw was one promoting... drum roll... DDO!!

Do you think Turbine knows that their marketing department is serving ads for their games here? If they *do* know, well... at least they, too, must at least have a sense of irony...! *

Couldn't resist commenting on it. It just seemed too funny to be true! :D

Best,

Demelza of Lórien

Friend of the Wild and Lady of Streams

* Or perhaps they're starting to realise why the LotRO Forums are falling ever more silent... er, because anyone wishing to freely discuss LotRO is more likely to post here than on their own Forums, these days...?!

ETA : I have no problem with unobtrusive, non-epilepsy-inducing plain banner ads. Money doesn't grow on trees. I'll happily adjust my FireFox settings and click on a few ads if it helps to support this site.

I've been lurking here for a long time, ...

It's about time you posted. Welcome. :)

Anyway. How's about *this* for the ultimate irony? I'm trying Chrome for a change, without AdBlock, and so today - for the first time - I'm viewing Lotrocommunity.com *with* ads. I really had to chuckle when, on first registering and being returned to the site as an actual member, the first banner ad at the top of the first page I saw was one promoting... drum roll... DDO!!

Do you think Turbine knows that their marketing department is serving ads for their games here? If they *do* know, well... at least they, too, must at least have a sense of irony...! *

Best,

Demelza of Lórien

* Or perhaps they're starting to realise why the LotRO Forums are falling ever more silent... er, because anyone wishing to freely discuss LotRO is more likely to post here than on their own Forums, these days...?!

ETA : I have no problem with unobtrusive, non-epilepsy-inducing plain banner ads. Money doesn't grow on trees. I'll happily adjust my FireFox settings and click on a few ads if it helps to support this site.

The ads here come from adsense, IIRC. That means Google decides which website to display them on :)

Personally I think it's the best thing since sliced bread since it takes away a whole bunch of influence of vendors over independent news or discussion outlets.

And I've added something a little extra :P If you're blocking ads, you now get a placeholder image. Not that I mind if you block ads, as I said before, but just to make people aware they are blocking them, as most folk don't even recall installing the adblocker..

Does anyone ever get a Lotro ad? I never do - any where now. I guess their money for advertising - all $1000 of it - has dried up. Just curious if others see LOTRO ads.

EDIT:

The ads I see have been fine - except the annoying "Adult gamers only" MMO ad for some cheap online game. I kind of get sick of looking at the half-naked art. Should I report that one as a nuisance and offensive to look at?

It goes to: http://tidesoffortune.com - the ugly ad.

It needs to be easier to whitelist a website.

There should be a link somewhere that when clicked just needs a confirm.

I've been lurking here for a long time, but I usually use FireFox with AdBlock fully enabled, and so I've never seen any ads here.

Today - after Turbine's final step "beyond the pale" (the introduction of the in-Store statted Armour) - I finally couldn't resist registering here so that I can post comments, even though this will probably hail the auto-deletion of every post I've ever made (or will ever make) "over there", seeing as I'm not exactly a fan of what Turbine has done to the game since F2P came in, and my posts are always about a nano-millimetre on the right side of the black hole of oblivion on the LotRO Forums. To be honest, I'm so disillusioned these days about LotRO's present and future direction that I don't even care any more if my lengthy rants on those Forums ARE deleted. I bet nobody reads them anyway, essays as they are!

Best,

Demelza of Lórien

The ads here are google adsense, google uses cookies and such to monitor your specific browsing preferences (ie every time you use google to search, every time you go on a website with google adsense on etc) and then tailors the adverts to what it thinks you like, Turbine aren't serving them to us, they pay google to advertise for them and then google serves them to you specifically using your preferences.

Google advertisers can exclude specific sites. However, it is likely that the advertising controls for Turbine games are not with Turbine but with some agency working for WB.

I had a HD ad fairly recently. Im almost 100% sure it was here because I remember thinking that it was an ironic place to see a lotro ad. Im a wood worker so I see lots of woodworking ads (again not 100% sure if it is here). I do recall seeing one ad repeatedly about older women seeking younger men. I even captured it someplace. I find that ironic because Im surely not a so called cub anymore.

Oh yeh.. whitelisting =P

And what someone said ^ up there.... got a paypal? Wouldn't mind donating either, got plenty of TP money not going anywhere since Runescape doesn't dig that deep into my pockets.

Oh yeh.. whitelisting =P

And what someone said ^ up there.... got a paypal? Wouldn't mind donating either, got plenty of TP money not going anywhere since Runescape doesn't dig that deep into my pockets.

I do have paypal, but I don't want to accept donations for now. At present, the single advertisement at the top pays for all license fees and other costs with a few euros to spare. That's enough. I don't need to make money on this site. That's also why I don't really mind if someone blocks the ads. As long as I can cover the expenses, it's fine.

• Upvote 1

The mechanism for the replacement banner doesn't work well.

The problem is that it takes some time for it to make up it's mind and (at least in Chrome) the page has been fully rendered already at that time. Then the banner replacement is inserted and the already existing contents move down. That's very annoying since at that time I have already started clicking links in there (mostly affects the "view new content" page).

Also, adblock doesn't seem to have a straightforward whitelist at all, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The mechanism for the replacement banner doesn't work well.

The problem is that it takes some time for it to make up it's mind and (at least in Chrome) the page has been fully rendered already at that time. Then the banner replacement is inserted and the already existing contents move down. That's very annoying since at that time I have already started clicking links in there (mostly affects the "view new content" page).

Also, adblock doesn't seem to have a straightforward whitelist at all, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm having no problem in chrome apart from the banner showing a message about a blocked advert which is replaced with an advert quicker than i can read it, it doesn't pop out anywhere else for me. Could it be a setting or something in chrome or addblock that's casuing it to slow down enough to break it out of the are designated by the css?

Oh, I'll have to have a look at it then. The whitelist in Adblock is "don't run on pages on this domain" ;)

Oh, I'll have to have a look at it then. The whitelist in Adblock is "don't run on pages on this domain" ;)

OK, got it.

For reference for other people as dull as me: my problem was that I looked in the preferences for adblock. The place where you actually want to look is the url bar icon which displays a red number about blocked ads and then clicking the icon while on the victim webpage (not in preferences) will bring up a menu local to that page.