LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Byron

Future of laurelin and FR/GER RP servers

Hello,

probably this topic is mostly addressed to people who play on RP servers.

It seems that TB are not willing currently to respond what the future of Laurelin and the other RP servers will be and deliberately leave that in vauge.

I don't know maybe there will be no impact by that, but to be honest I doubt it. I already heard reports of US forumites who warn for grievers rolling on RP servers in order to have some fun with Roleplayers.

I am not a roleplayer. Honestly I am a bit thick in such matters and therefore leave that to those who can do it. But I do enjoy watching others doing it and it influences my way of playing too one way or another.

So the question is what we can do in order to influence the company to let the status quo be as is ?

They couldn't be bothered making and maintaining a RP server of their own, before the merge.

I think there's little hope they will suddenly change their mind after the merge.

Yea I'd probably agree with Rarrl on this and look at their commitment to PvP, I would suspect RP servers are on the same level of priority as PvP.

Unfortunately I don't think roleplay is a priority of Turbine's. I don't think the guidelines of Laurelin will be enforced, that's for sure.

Unfortunately I don't think roleplay is a priority of Turbine's. I don't think the guidelines of Laurelin will be enforced, that's for sure.

As far as I know, Sapience has stated that they're keeping the [RP] at the server's names, but he hasn't said anything about keeping the role-playing policies.

My personal opinion? They won't do anything about it.

RP would be a concern to Turbine if we had US players join the RP scene on our servers. If we don't get that then I suspect that we will never have the numbers necessary to change Turbine's mind on the subject.

I think that we'll need to do two main things once the move happens and they are (1) not react too much (publicly) when the griefers grief and (2) make a lot of noise on the US forums about how much fun this and that RP activity was. Make them curious and see if that's enough to entice them over (obviously this assumes that they can create new characters etc.)

I am in agreement with Louvre, they will leave the RP designation, just not do anything about it.

While we are on the subject of servers, I notice nobody has mentioned the fact that they will probably decide at some point in the future to merge servers that are not overly populated.

All those extra servers, all nowhere near capacity (I assume), some suit will 'do the math' and the obvious conclusion will be arrived at. Doom and Gloom or a realistic assumption?

I hope I'm wrong, because Laurelin isn't supposed to be one of the servers with a blindingly high user count...

Might be able to keep the RP in the server name.. woohoo....

But already dissention from the US players about special rules and allowances for the EU people and assuming they are already happy about losing some of the EU people will try and cater for the US people who they probably didn't account for losing... Global company HA that's a joke.

Unfortunately I think at the end of the day there is little we can do about it except bend over and take it like a man or quit.. :/

I don't think they will do anything about it after the merge. Cudos to CM for this actually who did a good job so far, I believe (tho I'm not playing on a RP-server).

When reading the topic on the turbine forum about it, the answer seems to be very obvious by their lack of replying with actual information.

I don't think they will do anything about it after the merge. Cudos to CM for this actually who did a good job so far, I believe (tho I'm not playing on a RP-server).

When reading the topic on the turbine forum about it, the answer seems to be very obvious by their lack of replying with actual information.

Yup. It is pretty amazing that Sapience actually stepped into that thread to clear up some misinformation and still managed to duck the question entirely.

The fact that Sapience is ignoring the question probably doesn't bode too well. There is not even an "I'll get back to you on that" which is what one would think would be the response if a decision were still in the works. I think they have probably already made a decision, but are very hesitant to let the community know what that decision is.

But, I could be wrong. It is also quite possible that they just haven't come up with a workable solution yet and aren't letting that out of the bag as they don't wish to see a movement started in an attempt to sway their decision.

Before FTP became a reality, a lot of people on Laurelin were worried about a massive influx of brain-damaged adolescents, but it never really happened, did it? I'm rather hoping this will once again prove to be the case. Of course, one pretty effective defence is the fact that most of us currently playing are likely to be l.65 and active in zones like Mirkwood or Enedwaith; it would have to be a pretty determined griefer who will level all the way up to 65 and pay for expansions just for the dubious pleasure of being a pest. Most likely they'll give up and go play something more congenial long before...

I'm thinking it'd be financially best for Turbine to keep the RP tag on formerly-EU servers and then cash in on server transfers. Still the complete silence about the fate of the RP policy is worrying.. even if they keep their word that at least server names+tags won't change, I doubt they'll make any other special arrangements for our benefit.

Well I don't worry much about their silence because I am a certain they will not honour the RP designation of the servers. They act like politicians who don't want to lose their voters so they say something in vague and then whistle a different tune.

But my main question was what WE can do about it. (Write a mass letter, do ''petitions''?). We know that writing en masse on their forums is useless. Soon or later they will lock the threads and warn people to shut up.

But just concede on the fact they will refuse to protect the server will not do.

Unfortunately for me I am a lifetimer so threatening them about leaving the game won't bring any result

I suspect they will see it more or less as a favour :P

Although my main characters are all on Snowbourn, I have a few alts on Laurelin for when I feel like indulging in a spot of RP. I've always been reluctant to report what I see as lore inappropriate and/or offensive names (on either server) but I might start reporting them on Laurelin after the transition. They might start paying attention when they start getting loads of tickets about what the general population feel are names inappropriate for an RP environment. Either that or they'll ban what they call "troublemakers"!

Unfortunately for me I am a lifetimer so threatening them about leaving the game won't bring any result

I suspect they will see it more or less as a favour :P

Even as a lifer you can bring in money. (I got one too) We could buy TPs, we could create a new sub or f2p account and buy points again. So while I agree that LTA ppl can't cancel their subs over this, we surely can say that Turbine isn't getting any more money then. (Atm I'm just really glad they honour our LTAs, cause I read somewhere they don't have to).

And I agree, they surely see this as a favour.

As for reporting players for their names once we have been transfered, I am not sure... would they not see this then as kinda spam/griefing because their "new" rules are ok with it? Just a thought I just had.

I don't think Turbine will enforce the RP server rules either. But let's be honest: Codemasters didn't actively enforce them as well.

I think that Laurelin has shaped itself, with the RP tag serving like the Sign of the Prancing Pony.

In a mature community, you do not need to enforce much. But I don't want to loose that sign hanging outside, clear to see for every new player: " Watch your step here! This is no ordinary Inn,"

I'm not sure. Sapience did state that the only thing changing is the server location, everything else stays the same.

The question involved the policies of the servers as well.

Will our servers stay as they are (and where they are, physically)? FAQ says server names stay as they are, but will Turbine honour our RP servers and uphold their policies?

2- The physical location of the servers will change, but we do not currently plan to change anything else about the servers.

If it is just a matter of more GMs to deal with the reports, then I don't see a reason not to enforce RP policies on the RP servers, provided of course that Turbine hires more people.

Personally, I can't stand rude, obnoxious people even if they have a "legal" name, and even if they are roleplaying a rude and obnoxious person. Global lff on Laurelin is a huge pool of kids that desire attention and most of the times it's hard to lff there.

Hmmm, I wonder what is the Turbine GMs attitude towards the user made channels...

I play exclusively on Laurelin, and sadly I fear the worst. The US forums are aflame with people from Landroval, the "unofficial" US RP server, screaming blue murder at the idea of perceived special treatment of EU RP servers. Turbine have consistently refused to grant them official RP status, so its hard to see how they can realistically allow the EU servers to remain as they are without upsetting a lot of US players. We need to remember, we only got official RP servers in EU after huge player pressure on Codemasters.

Playing on Laurelin myself I have been keeping an eye on this development and I have seen that many RP'ers from the US will stay on Landroval and roll a new character on Laurelin. I haven't noticed that we need lots of enforcing on Laurelin and that it's the community that makes sure things don't get out of hand. I'm sure there will be some grievers but you get them everywhere and they can be taken care off even without special rules for RP servers.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?394056-A-Word-About-Turbine-Role-Play-Server-Support

Rp tags and support will remain. Victoly!

That's great news! I'm not playing on an RP server but somehow, I always find it comforting to know that I could play there if I ever wanted to (I just really don't know the world well enough to do so ;) ).

They put German and French community, so far, into one sub-forum. And admitted using Google translator for communication. Well, also so far. I don't usually use the German forum, but that does make me wonder how serious they are about supporting different languages. Doubt the quality of support will be very high for the time being. But I did hear some rumours, which I won't get into more detail of and don't quote me on it, that they're getting some qualified people to work with the German community. ;)

RP I dunno. They may keep the server but as for the amount of support they'll put into? *shrugs* Call me a pessimist, but RP'ers will get the worst of this move, followed by the French community (though Canadian players might boost their numbers) and then Germans. Albeit German community is a huge part of the EU player base, so possibly worth wooing.

Told you so ;)

They put German and French community, so far, into one sub-forum. And admitted using Google translator for communication. Well, also so far. I don't usually use the German forum, but that does make me wonder how serious they are about supporting different languages. Doubt the quality of support will be very high for the time being. But I did hear some rumours, which I won't get into more detail of and don't quote me on it, that they're getting some qualified people to work with the German community. ;)

RP I dunno. They may keep the server but as for the amount of support they'll put into? *shrugs* Call me a pessimist, but RP'ers will get the worst of this move, followed by the French community (though Canadian players might boost their numbers) and then Germans. Albeit German community is a huge part of the EU player base, so possibly worth wooing.

They are going to hire german and french speaking mods/gms of course, as has been stated in the FAQ, I believe.