LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
Byron

Future of laurelin and FR/GER RP servers

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?394056-A-Word-About-Turbine-Role-Play-Server-Support

Rp tags and support will remain. Victoly!

I believe that Turbine actually came up with the best solution they possibly could at this point. Really, they shot themselves in the foot a long time ago on this issue as far as the NA community goes and they are probably going to feel the pain of that now. The dollar cost could not possibly have been what they tried to make it out to be (as Codemasters has actually shown) and the benefits would have surely outweighed those costs if they had only listened to their player-base.

But, I really don't see how they could have accommodated the situation any better than this solution at this point in time. I'm actually hopeful that this is a good sign. A sign that once the higher-ups are truly made aware of the concerns of their player-base, they will make the correct decisions.

indeed.

Members of the NA RP community were quite hostile though I believe our RP-servers trasfer there could provide new opporunities for them as well.

It is rather problematic to demand others to lose their rights because they never allowed you to have similar rights.

But I am sure that time will heal this.

indeed.

Members of the NA RP community were quite hostile though I believe our RP-servers trasfer there could provide new opporunities for them as well.

It is rather problematic to demand others to lose their rights because they never allowed you to have similar rights.

They will do what they always do, whine a lot about the injustice of it all and then forget about it in a few weeks as if nothing happened.

yay! that's victory indeed.

Splendid news :)

*brings out some freshly baked muffins and starts playing a happy tune*

This is indeed a great day for our beloved Laurelin and our wonderful community ♥

Thank You to those that made this possible :)

Great news indeed.

I do find some North Americans on the Turbine forums to be overly pessimistic - like doomsday has arrived for Landroval. I can see a lot of new possibilities for roleplay, also on Landroval.

What I am curious about is how all this is going to change the timing of the regular RP events on Laurelin. The current timing (7-8 pm UK time) is mid-day for North Americans. I still think that adding localization tags (despite the fact that Turbine wants everything to be "global") to the servers could be good.

Another thing I'm really surprised about are those North American players who say they will "definatly be rolling toons on Laurelin now", while that has been possible for ages. I mean: no excuse not already having done so after F2P launch at least. I know I rolled a toon on Landroval, and yes, I have previewed all the updates on Bullroarer.

Meh, it'll be ok - the Landrovalians will whine for a bit, have their posts deleted and given infraction points then shut up about it ;)

Sorry, was that overly cynical of me? })

Grats for teh RP victory, I'm not an RPer myself but it's nice to know that there's a bastion behind us as it were!

That is some odd behaviour I never understood. Shouldn't they be happy, rather, as there will now be an official RP server from Turbine? Not much different from Turbine saying, "we finally listened to you and you shall get a shiny new RP server from us."

Hmm, another thought. Making global servers might actually be one way for Turbine to save money = optimize capacity. Servers will have shifting peak times. EU will peak it at our evenings, US peak it during theirs. Though that does make it more difficult for global kins to decide on raid times.

That way they probably need way less server capacity than if they ran the same number of localized servers.

Another thing to consider - if they are thinking about server mergers at some point, it would be natural to consider merging Landroval with Laurelin. Hey presto (numbers permitting)! A bunch of happy US RPers, because with Turbine having promised to keep the RP tag & enforce, they would have to merge them onto us, rather than vice-versa.

But it's easier to whinge than think, I guess... :/

Another thing to consider - if they are thinking about server mergers at some point, it would be natural to consider merging Landroval with Laurelin. Hey presto (numbers permitting)! A bunch of happy US RPers, because with Turbine having promised to keep the RP tag & enforce, they would have to merge them onto us, rather than vice-versa.

But it's easier to whinge than think, I guess... :/

Wait.... wait.... What makes you think that Turbine has to merge any two servers because they promised to keep something like the RP tag and the rules?

Turbine is not obliged to merge the Landroval server with the Laurelin server just because the roleplayers on Landroval want what is on Laurelin. As it is, server transfers to, and perhaps from as well, Laurelin is not possible at the moment. But that does not mean it will never come. And when it comes, all these american roleplayers that do not want to start a new character on Laurelin and have been waiting to move there, will.

There is no server merger needed in any way, form or shape. Server merges are rare and only done if a server is on heavy life-support because of dwindeling population issues. And even then a free transfer is offered for a period of time before the server is shut down. Merging two servers together is dicey at best and could lead to all kind of different, and most likely unwanted, issues. I kind of get the feeling you're making conclusions that you cannot make.

The way I understood it, the ones most unhappy about this is those players who've tried to make&keep roleplaying communities on other servers than Landroval - the RP and RE tags will probably siphon off a lot of roleplayers from those servers.

I sort of understand the concern of the US players. Now what would be a good move (maybe, just thinking out loud) if Landroval players were given an opportunity to transfer to Laurelin for free, for a limited time. Hmm.. nah, probably a bad idea...

Edit: Oh yeah, congrats for all Laurelinians. Hope the big T keeps it's word and it'll be the same as with CM (aside latency).

Edited by Vardiel

Wait.... wait.... What makes you think that Turbine has to merge any two servers because they promised to keep something like the RP tag and the rules?

I don't think Turbine have to do anything, I know nothing about the number of players on any server, & I never said anything about "needed" either. I just said If.... OK? Re-read what I posted with that in mind, and it may make more sense. You're replying to things I never wrote.