LOTROCommunity

The elephant in the room

Maelendil

There is something that strikes me as very unusual, the kind of "elephant in the room that no one has seen": what is this update really made of?

I understand that there are the instances which are late from RoI, and a new book (which I haven't done on Bullroarer), but then? I mean that since these instances were planned for RoI, and since the epic story was so short in RoI, are we really getting anything meaningful that was not already due months ago ? What would you have wished for Update 5 that we will certainly not see, and is there any hidden nugget that we should look forward to ?

Where are you placing your bets for March-April 2012? Discuss.

(My bets are on a small area with 80+ quests and an epic "book" which gives us a tour of that area).

There is something that strikes me as very unusual, the kind of "elephant in the room that no one has seen": what is this update really made of?

I understand that there are the instances which are late from RoI, and a new book (which I haven't done on Bullroarer), but then? I mean that since these instances were planned for RoI, and since the epic story was so short in RoI, are we really getting anything meaningful that was not already due months ago ? What would you have wished for Update 5 that we will certainly not see, and is there any hidden nugget that we should look forward to ?

Where are you placing your bets for March-April 2012? Discuss.

(My bets are on a small area with 80+ quests and an epic "book" which gives us a tour of that area).

Genau DAS ist der Grund, warum ich Mittelerde im Dez. verlassen werde. Zu wenig *Neues* in einem großen (unfertigen) Addon und die Hoffnung auf Besserung in den nächsten Monaten ist gleich 0.

Zudem steht genügend Konkurenz vor der Tür, so daß der Abschied nicht all zu schwer fällt...

Gewinnorientiertes Unternehmen ist ja ok, ...aber was Turbine aus Mittelerde macht / gemacht hat, ist einfach nur <piep> !

Tannenhirsch

The question is whether they simply do not invest developer resources or whether developers have been working on something else not yet announced.

If they are working on something not announced yet then the followup question is whether it is something to our benefit (more stuff to do) or to our disadvantage (like sweeping changes to facilitate store sale, dynamic layers and server lines etc) or something that is neutral (like f2p in general or the recent useless class changes) but does waste the resources.

The question is whether they simply do not invest developer resources or whether developers have been working on something else not yet announced.

If we look at the content released since F2P I think there can only be a very small developer team left - am guessing resources are being diverted into a different game or something.

As has been mentioned before, the odds are most of Enedwaith and its instances were probably quite advanced prior to the resources being put towards F2P. It's also quite possible (since as far as we know Enedwaith was never intended for an expansion) that part of ROI was already in development back then if they were planning on releasing it a year after Mirkwood (if resources hadn't been diverted into F2P). SoM was planned and implemented as a five level increase, I don't think its too far fetched to think that they had planned another 5 lvl increase a year later at that time and its been said that ROI was originally intended to be 5 levels.

So we have had ROI as an expansion, albeit with minimal content to meet its needs and the delayed instance cluster coming in Update 5. Now I think Update 5, in line with the new F2P model was planned to have this instance cluster in its own right (so they could charge for it) and that was all. The Epic ended fairly abruptly so perhaps the Epic part coming with Update 5 was originally planned for ROI and held back to give Update 5 more content?

The Instance Finder tool as I said in another post I think has been a rush job based on something like 'we need something to promote update 5 with, it needs to be thrown together quickly and wanted by players, what can we do with minimal resources?' and the instance finder comes out 4-5 months later.

Update 6 is meant to have the other part of the IF but as history has shown (e.g. legendary item updates) part two to things doesn't always happen. No other news is released about Update 6 yet as far as I know including an approximate release date. Will there even be an Update 6? I don't wish to go all alarmist, I never thought I would say this but I am beginning to believe the end of lotro is in sight by design... perhaps sooner rather than later if the IF is launched as planned and puts players like myself off from playing as they won't use it and the instances / skirms without its use don't yield sufficent reward to progress at a decent pace. What will the impact of this be? I would say that Turbine have the numbers, far more data than we do etc... but everything I have read about the IF gives me the impression it just hasn't been thought through in many respects so am not that confident they have thought through the impact to the playerbase much either.

I would be pleasantly surprised to see another levelling area for levels 65-75 added, particularly so if it were of the quality we have been used to in the past. Unfortunately the fact that we had no new zones following the release of Enedwaith does not encourage me.

I would like to see some older instances scaled and I really think In Your Absence cluster should be scaled... and yet the scaling of instances is something they say is 'in the pipeline' but has not actually materialised at all since its original release over a year ago.

Realistically, I do not think the goals of the game are to deliver content anymore and that the content delivered will be minimal but if they do create content for Update 6 I would expect a 3-man scalable or a skirmish or something along those lines. More task boards perhaps! lol I am sad to confess my hopes are not high anymore... sorry to be doom and gloomish.

So you suggest that the reason they split up ROI into pieces, and it plays like it's unfinished, is because it's been on a back burner for a year or more already, and they chopped it up to fit their new store motif, and also to make it look like they've been working on it this whole time, when in fact they've been jerking us around, and they are using the lead out time to finish the release to waste our time, nab a couple more months of sub fees/store usage, and are pretty much done with the game?

the way I see it ... they probably start to brace for impact. and after TOR hit, they will take a look at what survived ... though I don't feel they're prepared for what most likely will be a devastating outcome of that "let's grab the cash while it's still luke warm" approach.

I think around March we might start to see some server merges.

Other than that, the Producers claim there will be much more content coming in 12 than there was in 11. We shall see.... They need something fresh, that much is a given. Same old rep grinds for horsies and slightly higher stats isn't going to cut it.

I think around March we might start to see some server merges.

"Server merges" is too negatively connoted. "Cross-world instance finder" seem to be more likely. Anyway, the underlying hardware is already distributed on many cores, if the numbers drop on a server you can probably just allocate less cores to that server. So I don't think there is many gains in merging servers, while a cross-world instance finder would guarantee a 20x increase on english servers, and a 6x increase on german servers. Which should be enough to mask most of the drop in active players.

Was just going through lottery to waste time (nothing, again) and noticed my forum rep had dropped slightly. So I wanted to see why. Saw I got one bad rep post, for this post. Can anyone see how that would be seen as worthy of negative rep, or did I somehow misinterpret the post I quoted?

Not looking for rep replacement, seriously wondering about my perception.

You post here without their ability to give you a bad report. I guess they are in a rush to reduce your reputation when you deign to post over there. It's petty.

To answer your question, though, your post only sought to be clear on the post of another poster. A reasonable person can't find fault with that. However, several unreasonable people over there (Seven, isn't it, Darmokk?) will try to find fault with anyone who doesn't fall in line. So much for an open forum.

Unfortunately their tactics work in this case. We can't know who gave the feedback and it's perfectly fine (as far as Turbine is concerned) that some of our usual suspects give cross-forum rep without anyone having to ask them.

What I also wonder about is whether they can give neg rep earlier. I have what I think is stellar rep and I can't give neg rep.

Didn't someone say you need over 1k rep points to be able to give out negative rep?

I got more negative rep for what was an informational based post for the most part, there wasn't really even much opinion in there for someone to disagree with. The fact that the information itself wasn't favourable must have been the reason for the negative rep.

This time I actually smiled when I saw the post the negative rep was aimed at however, clearly I had hit a nerve and so I will take the negative rep as a compliment :)

After that I have decided that isn't a bad idea, whenever I get negative rep I go back and check the post and shake my head, I don't write posts that warrant negative rep unless given by someone who just doesn't like what I have to say whether its information or opinion. I am not far off the 1k mark for rep now and the positive rep flows in rather nicely... so what if I annoy a few people who would rather I didn't make my points well! :)

Naturally I would love to know who is giving the negative rep... would like to know who gives the positive rep too really. We know the system is flawed and with all the holes in Turbine's sinking boat the rep system just doesn't seem worth getting upset about anymore.

Yeah, I've got 1000-something over there, haven't posted in a while. But I've been negged for posts like - asking an innocuous question about housing, and in one case - telling somebody where to find a mob in Forochel for a class quest!

If the Turbine Defender Squad doesn't like you, any post is an opportunity to neg.

You know what this makes me think of? What forums of failing internet ponzis look like just before the whole thing crashes down around them and the SEC or other governmental authority intervenes (I've a friend who used to swear these were legit investments, spent more time than I care to admit perusing the forums whilst trying to talk them out of throwing away thousands of dollars). I think I may have just hit upon the perfect career move for the Paiz's.

Everyone gets ugly, people even lose friendships. Not to mention money. Actually, that sounds a lot like LoTRO now.

Don't worry about the negative rep, pretty soon there won't be anymore forums. Just don't give Turbine anymore of your cash. I suppose there's a tiny possibility they'll see the light, but it's looking pretty unlikely.

Don't worry about the negative rep, pretty soon there won't be anymore forums. Just don't give Turbine anymore of your cash. I suppose there's a tiny possibility they'll see the light, but it's looking pretty unlikely.

It's becomnig nothing more than one huge shill to promote the Lotro Store and how

(/s) "AMAZING" (/s off) LOTRO is with all those wonderful bug.....I mean game features.

Yeah, I've got 1000-something over there, haven't posted in a while. But I've been negged for posts like - asking an innocuous question about housing, and in one case - telling somebody where to find a mob in Forochel for a class quest!

If the Turbine Defender Squad doesn't like you, any post is an opportunity to neg.

You know what this makes me think of? What forums of failing internet ponzis look like just before the whole thing crashes down around them and the SEC or other governmental authority intervenes (I've a friend who used to swear these were legit investments, spent more time than I care to admit perusing the forums whilst trying to talk them out of throwing away thousands of dollars). I think I may have just hit upon the perfect career move for the Paiz's.

Everyone gets ugly, people even lose friendships. Not to mention money. Actually, that sounds a lot like LoTRO now.

I've gotten dinged with Negative rep because I was "wrong". Yep, the person who dinged me simply didn't like my suggestion of what was coming in U5, before anything had been announced. My suggestion was those non-combat pets Turbine mentioned might come to the game for all classes eventually. The dinger didn't think Turbine would do that, so neg rep was given.

Some people's children, I tell ya!

Two months after the expansion arrived it is already sold at half price in the web store. Did this happen with moria and mirkwood ?

By the way, there is also a double bonus point offer, and a "return WE". If someone could find similar promotions for mirkwood and moria, it could alleviate the feeling that this expansion is not doing well at all...

Two months after the expansion arrived it is already sold at half price in the web store. Did this happen with moria and mirkwood ?

No, but Mirkwood was €15 from release... :P

To be honest, I think they're just trying to convince those players that haven't bought it yet to buy RoI with cash instead of points... And then we'll likely see a RoI 'bundle' in the store with U5 for about 4000 points, so they can safely give a discount the questpack to part the real stubborn buyers from their points.

My friend just told me that there was a ROI sale during the US Thanksgiving for about half price for the legendary package.....when they said it would not be sold for less apparently. Half price. One day only. During a HOLIDAY.

The sale was on Black Friday, the biggest day of sales in America each year.