LOTROCommunity
Tanes

Jumping Ship?

Yes, once swtor opens up my friends can find me there.

Already on a break from lotro already. Currently I'm playing the Mass Effect games and tbh, I'm having a blast.

Actually many people I know from my lotro days are already joining up in guilds for swtor. And I'm definitely going to enjoy the storylines. I'm really tired of Turbine and their mindless grind. Also, I have come to realize just how much of an ripoff RoI is, was. should have rather spent that much money on something else. ;)

i did not see any option for using a controller on the pc version and you can change the key/mouse bindings as you see fit.

video settings are on par with typical fps style games, and seem to be dx11 stable.

game plays like linear level shooters -

start a section/level clear all enemies, then search for hidden area and breakables

for more loot.

i can see where it could be fun in co-op with 2 other players and set to hardest difficulty.

There is an option for using a controller with Skyrim. In fact if you check out their forums a lot of people recommend an Xbox 360 controller alongside a keyboard. Personally, I haven't tried this but when my brother gets home for Christmas I might see about borrowing one to test this theory out.

I have decided to stop playing LotRO. I actually cannot remember when the last time I logged in was. Not sure if I ever will start up again.

I am just so tired of Turbine and their lack of imagination (among other things).

That was 11/29 for me. I have been lotro-sober for ten days and counting.

Well I too was looking to stop playing LotRO for a while ... but since they lifted the server xfer ban I just had to xfer my creeps to a better pvp server ... now my friends & I are having quite a bit of fun getting to know the new server & starting a whole new KOS List ... })

I figure that, if you can get any fun out of what Turbine thinks is PvP, go for it.

Well I too was looking to stop playing LotRO for a while ... but since they lifted the server xfer ban I just had to xfer my creeps to a better pvp server ... now my friends & I are having quite a bit of fun getting to know the new server & starting a whole new KOS List ... })

Is it the lack of caffeine?

I am thinking that server transfers must be awesome business in Turbine's future if the population goes down on most servers...

How much did you send if I may ask?

Well, I didn't "jump ship" back in April. But I did cancel both my accounts and greatly reduced my in-game time.

Scrolls of Relic Removal, coupled with heavy-handed forum moderation, pushed me to finally sever the siphon Turbine had attached to my wallet.

I've redirected my play time to single-player games and Rift. Sadly, Rift is suffering badly from pre-SWTOR fervor.

As for SWTOR, I have no interest in it. After having played Rift for six months, SWTOR (and LOTRO, incidentally) both feel incredibly unresponsive.

I have been a big fan of Bioware ever since Baldur's Gate II. Unfortunately, they seem to have hit their creative peak in the Mass Effect - Dragon Age - Mass Effect 2 period and are now sliding into dumbed-down console-style gameplay. Story is nice, but many art forms can provide that (books, movies, live plays); I play MMOs for a combination of story, character advancement, and gameplay. Any game that ignores one or two of those in favor of the third is not going to pique my interest.

Not a big fan of Star Wars anyway, so I was able to beta test the game without those particular rose-colored glasses. It's not "bad" for a company's first effort in the genre. But the controls are unresponsive, the gameplay is too generic for my taste, and the fully-voiced cutscenes come with one huge problem in tow: given the cost of developing them, we can reasonably assume that additional content will be =very= slow to appear. Where Turbine manages to come out with something approximating an expansion every year (yeah, converting to F2P was basically an expansion in my opinion), and Rift pumps out new content every 6 to 12 weeks, Bioware is likely to be stuck on the same glacial two year cycle as Blizzard.

If the game is still running six months from now, and the population is still reasonable, and the price of the box drops to the $30 range, I =might= invest some money in it, just to see how my Sith Juggernaut's storyline turns out.

Best of luck to those who do choose to be early adopters and support the game with their wallets. I hope it provides whatever it is you're seeking.

I can as well try update5 next week.

I can't enjoy Skyrim for being too consoley. I probably won't do SWTOR before Christmas.

More importantly I don't see any too offensive code changes in u5 (I don't plan to group instances much and I hate skirmishes and I won't chase any kind of advanced gear).

My sub lapsed this week. I plan on still logging in from time to time, however. Since ROI, my warden has not been worth playing. I want to do each of the new instances on my minstrel (and I'd like to do the raid on T1). My only regret is never reaching R9 in the moors. I was close, but couldn't bring myself to drag my sorry ass out there.

My only regret is never reaching R9 in the moors.

This is actually true, Its possibly the only thing I will consider that I left unfinished. I'm pretty close to, oh well.

I gave up LOTRO just prior to Update 3 (according to kinmates I talked with recently in SWTOR beta it has been 304 days since I last logged in). Recently built a new kick-butt PC and didn't install LOTRO at all (even being a lifer since April 2008). Playing Skyrim at moment (and realizing a bit what LOTRO used to be) and ready for SWTOR launch tomorrow.

Quite honestly, I haven't missed LOTRO in the slightest. Three years of them constantly resetting the same grind over and over again is not something FUN. Turbine has lost their direction in a major way and I still stick to my original belief that 2012 is going to be very tough for them. Not so much because SWTOR is coming out but more because they have FORCED players to seek alternatives and, when they do, they tend to remember again why they play games in the first place - to have fun and enjoy themselves. Something that is very difficult in LOTRO to do now.

I figure that, if you can get any fun out of what Turbine thinks is PvP, go for it.

Yeah I guess I enjoy it still … although it’s not the best PvP experience I enjoy it mainly due to the people I play with & hang out with in TS … if it weren’t for them I probably wouldn’t bother with PvP at all in LotRO.

Is it the lack of caffeine?

I am thinking that server transfers must be awesome business in Turbine's future if the population goes down on most servers...

How much did you send if I may ask?

I sent all 6 monsters over to the new server … it was pricey but I rationalize the expense as follows. As a hardcore gamer I used to buy a new game at least once a month, often times it was 2 per month. I have been playing nothing but LotRO for last 4 years, I bought the lifetime sub when it was available for 99.99 & bought all expansions after that, so technically I haven’t spent no where near the amount of money I would have spent console gaming with playing LotRO, so due to that I don’t mind “investing” some money into LoTRO here & there. :)

Yeah I guess I enjoy it still … although it’s not the best PvP experience I enjoy it mainly due to the people I play with & hang out with in TS … if it weren’t for them I probably wouldn’t bother with PvP at all in LotRO.

That's a very valid point. There are folks out there that will be quick to say, "If you don't like the game, leave it." Of course, that ignores the fact that, before the game took a downturn, meaningful connections were made between players in the game, connections that are not as easily broken as their relationship with the game company.

After seeing the raid armour sets and their hefty price I wanted my 1495 TP for U5 back. Just got my early access email for ToR so that is some consolation.

As a lifer I'll never completely leave. I logged in to finish the epic book quests from U5 and logged out. I didn't bother buying the U5 instances for points. I would have bought the entire expansion for points if they made that option in September but at this point I'll just save the extra points for the next expansion.

I'll be playing SW:TOR and am eagerly awaiting GW2 and D3.

Until, like me, you get or build a new PC and feel it isn't even worth the effort to install LOTRO and take up valuable disk space.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that end date has been determined for LOTRO and all WB wants now is as much cash from the customer base before they finish moving resources on to what they truly acquired Turbine for.

LOTRO - R.I.P. 2012

SW:TOR will come and go. With little effect on LotRO. The games are too different and , imo, SW:TOR is simply too ugly and the stories too bad.

As long as people are buying expansions, paying subs and spending money on points, LotRO will do good, it was profitable on much lower numbers before F2P. . From what I can observe, they do that plentiful.

Anyways, I'll check out SW:TOR once I get my preorder access. Play a char to max and then return to LotRO. Probably. I think many players will do the same.

SW:TOR will come and go. With little effect on LotRO.

This is laughable. Most of my kinship left for SW:TOR, and while this is only a local measure, the departures on my server are noticeable. Check the login graphics in two weeks, and we will see the net effect.

For a larger view of how many left, I check a multi-game forum which indicates how many identified users are browsing sub-forums. Lotro sub-forum used to be read by roughly a hundred registered players at peak times, and now it is closer to twenty or less. SW:TOR sub-forum is peaking around a thousand registered readers. SW:TOR might fall apart quickly or stay around for years, only time will tell. But part of the success of MMOs is that people who log in regularly keep playing because that's what they are used to do. Players who left lotro for a couple of months won't all come back even if SW:TOR is a miserable failure. And judging from the beta reviews nothing indicates that it won't be a success.

If you went to rehab, you don't want to start getting your old drug again.

Yes I do fear that the journey soon will come to an end.

All my acquaintances have left. We are hardly 3-4 people now from my old alliance.

It is impossible for me to participate in instances anymore - not to mention raids - so either I have to do solo until i get bored or go elsewhere :S

Have been here since beta and so many fun people and good friends have come and gone. But hey, know what? It's the same as in real life. Get on with your life, start playing with new people (there might actually be new friends out there, surprise!), swap kinship, swap server... whatever ... or simply abandon ship but don't waste your time living in the past (or even worse, telling others about it) :)

My kin and another I know of are still active on Snowbourn. You could consider a transfer, but I would guess there are still some on your server too.

Personally I am playing War in the North, reinstalled Battle for Middle Earth II as well.

If I get bored of that I will play Skyrim.

Log onto Lotro mainly to chat with people, do epic books, and level a few lowbies.