LOTROCommunity
Little Hobbit Sun

Help! What is Lotro's future in China

Dear All,

Pls allow me to introduce myself for a minute. I am a Lotro player from China, I am playing Lotro since 2009 in China. My purpose to be here is just want to seek any news related to Lotro's future in China for 2012.

Currently, CDC Company is still operating Lotro in China at testing phase(Free for all). We have 4 servers alive. I estimate the active player is about 10K in China now. Most of us are fans of Lotro and many were left due to no new version updated. We still stay at L60 version. We also noticed that Turbine had terminated the dealership of CDC at Sep of 2011. We are hopeless at the moment, we have to think Lotro might be shut down in China soon.

It is ridiculous that CDC run Lotro in China for 5 years at testing phase. But at the 2nd round Beta test Phase there was millions of player on-line in China. We still believe the potential Chinese Market can make Lotro profitable here. Even we are sufferring the pending future and keep standing at 21 Hall day and night, we still hope Lotro can keep alive in China.

I will really appreciated if there is news about Lotro's future in China from Turbine! Will Turbine abandon Chinese Market finally or will them targeting a new company to run Lotro?

As the year of 2012 is coming, I sincerely wish all of you a Happy new year! :)

Everyone wants LotRO to be a success in China because it means a lot of money. Lots of money can build the game and make it better. Some players here, including me, have asked Turbine in the official forums about China in the past, but we have been given no special information, unless something was said very recently. Some good news might be the Isengard expansion was successful for sales, and Turbine has promised great things for 2012. Maybe these things will include China.

Happy new year to you too. :) Please stay around here and let us know how's it is going. We would like to know, but we probably hear less news than you.

Everyone wants LotRO to be a success in China because it means a lot of money. Lots of money can build the game and make it better. Some players here, including me, have asked Turbine in the official forums about China in the past, but we have been given no special information, unless something was said very recently. Some good news might be the Isengard expansion was successful for sales, and Turbine has promised great things for 2012. Maybe these things will include China.

Happy new year to you too. :) Please stay around here and let us know how's it is going. We would like to know, but we probably hear less news than you.

Thanks a lot for your encouragement! It is great to know The Isengard expansion sales good. Although it is hard for Chinese's Lotroer at the moment, we are looking forward a bright Lotro in 2012. d;)b

Oh my. Yeah for all the clashing with Turbine's upper management, we all want more money and more players for the game.

I had thought that going with a subscription free financing model was to a major part a move to make the game more applicable to Asian markets. But I guess it didn't work out that way.

Any idea whether this is a problem with the particular partner in China, or is there just low Tolkien interest over there?

On this subject, I'll be blunt.

- Because of the gaming habits of the Asian market, LOTRO has been subject to a microtransaction market that many NA/EU players did not want.

- Because of criminal/illegal enterprises in China specifically, many online games' players have been subjected to abuse via gold selling and account hacking/stealing.

Trust me, I have no interest in hearing pleas from that part of the world.

Oh, and since you state that CDC is running servers with Turbine IP on them, despite the breach of contract (Thank you, Agra.), that would make CDC guilty of IP theft. Good luck to CDC in trying to get someone else in the gaming world to trust them with another publishing opportunity.

Oh my. Yeah for all the clashing with Turbine's upper management, we all want more money and more players for the game.

I had thought that going with a subscription free financing model was to a major part a move to make the game more applicable to Asian markets. But I guess it didn't work out that way.

Any idea whether this is a problem with the particular partner in China, or is there just low Tolkien interest over there?

I think the major problem is in CDC. Althrough most of us have not read Tolkien's Book, but the Moives also impress us deeply already.

On this subject, I'll be blunt.

- Because of the gaming habits of the Asian market, LOTRO has been subject to a microtransaction market that many NA/EU players did not want.

- Because of criminal/illegal enterprises in China specifically, many online games' players have been subjected to abuse via gold selling and account hacking/stealing.

Trust me, I have no interest in hearing pleas from that part of the world.

Oh, and since you state that CDC is running servers with Turbine IP on them, despite the breach of contract (Thank you, Agra.), that would make CDC guilty of IP theft. Good luck to CDC in trying to get someone else in the gaming world to trust them with another publishing opportunity.

Hi, to be honest. I am not quite understand your point here. Do you mean Lotro is destined to be failed in Asian Market? Why WOW is so popular here? The environment is same.

I will appreciate your further insight!

I already got this info already, thank you all the same!

As you said LOTRO maight be shut down in China.so there is no choose for all of Chinese LOTROER except waiting,

Or your can join other country's server for keep enjoying this game.i know there may be hard to adapt,but try.

version Lv75 welcome your :) i am a human race Champion LV36 in Brandywine server.

I think Turbiner never forgot Chinese game market.For LOTRO,there are thousands of fans in China.For business,WOW was very successful in past ten years,but he is old and not strong than before.now it's great opportunity for Turbine.

as everyone know LOTRO was also a excellent game.so just fight to WOW, seize this opportunity,you may have a chance to be a new winner and enjoy success and glory on this "game battlefield",if not you must lost them all.

Anyway,best wishes for all of Chinese LOTROER.

Hi, to be honest. I am not quite understand your point here. Do you mean Lotro is destined to be failed in Asian Market? Why WOW is so popular here? The environment is same.

Very well, I shall be more direct. As far as LOTRO goes, China has never done anything good for me. Whether it is the criminals there or their enablers (including the prison-run gold-selling/account hacking operations), I am frankly sick and tired of China's interference in my game experience.

You skirt my original post by asking if LOTRO is "destined to be failed in Asian Market." I must honestly say that I do not care. What I do care about is preventing your countrymen - who want nothing more in gaming than to exploit NA and EU LOTRO players every single day - from entering my cyberspace entirely.

Do you understand now?

Way to welcome a new member.

I doubt the OP is currently imprisoned and forced to play LOTRO.

Way to welcome a new member.

I doubt the OP is currently imprisoned and forced to play LOTRO.

Yes. This.

Dalth, we get that you don't like gold farmers, or whatever. But China is not some sort of Borg-like entity made up of purely like-minded people with the singular goal of ruining western gaming habits.

We're all friends here. Let's try to treat each other with decency and address questions from perfectly polite new board members such as the OP with respect.

• Upvote 1

Yes. This.

Dalth, we get that you don't like gold farmers, or whatever. But China is not some sort of Borg-like entity made up of purely like-minded people with the singular goal of ruining western gaming habits.

We're all friends here. Let's try to treat each other with decency and address questions from perfectly polite new board members such as the OP with respect.

Hajile:).Thank you for your understanding.i am a Chinese LOTROER and came brandywine server with my friends.we just play LOTOR with our habits,never thought to influence other players.in some ways,some of Chinese player actually effect others,i have to admit and apologize. but we never intend to ruining western gaming habits.Even we want to acclimatize ourselves to western game culture.

Yes, we are now in this excellent game.so let us adventure together with friendly .

Yes. This.

Has no one here besides me read Sun Tzu? Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

兵者,詭道也。故能而示之不能,用而示之不用,近而示之遠,遠而示之近 ("All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.")

This reminds me of every Battlefield 3 (and other FPS/RTS game) forums regarding players from Russia. While I understand that some contries have a higher percentage of people who want to get money and ruin the game for others, I wouldn't want China to be without Lotro. Selfish reason, more money in the game I like, more content. Then there's the question of moral and justice, but I've always been in the losing side. Well we did lose to the Soviet Union in the second great war but look how that turned out in the end. :)

This is just a game and you're dragging Sun Tzu here? I'd say that's overreacting a bit. Just a little bit. :P

Hajile:).Thank you for your understanding.i am a Chinese LOTROER and came brandywine server with my friends.we just play LOTOR with our habits,never thought to influence other players.in some ways,some of Chinese player actually effect others,i have to admit and apologize. but we never intend to ruining western gaming habits.Even we want to acclimatize ourselves to western game culture.

Yes, we are now in this excellent game.so let us adventure together with friendly .

Thanks for the kind words! :)

You're a decent gamer, who just wants to enjoy your pastime. You've done nothing wrong. You certainly don't have to apologise for the behaviour of gold farmers, etc, just because they happen to also live in China.

Has no one here besides me read Sun Tzu? Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

兵者,詭道也。故能而示之不能,用而示之不用,近而示之遠,遠而示之近 ("All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.")

Dear me, you've really lost it.

Buy extra duct tape, get it on your windows quick, they ARE coming to get you.

Sorry for the late reply. I just back from a vacation.

I just cting like a drowning man who trying to catch a straw here. It looks like I should think twice before asking. Yes, the best choice for us is just waiting. I am a little bit crazy to suppose that there mightbe somebody knows the insight of Turbine here. Anyway, Thanks all for your time and comments!

I am happy to be here, great to know you all.

I wish all of you a great journey in Lotro.

I love this game, I believe I can share the happiness from you!

It seems that the Chinese LOTRO will shut down (http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?442796-deep-condolences-Chinse-LOTRO-shut-down-for-ever), although I can't find any other source.

I feel sorry for you, Little Hobbit Sun, and other Chinese players. :(

I heard Sap had a hand in shutting down LOTRO in China because their forum moderation was too lax.

Can I name my Hobbit Burg Freetibet in China? THATS how you get rid of Chinese gold farmers Dalth!! :) You let the host country do it for you.