LOTROCommunity
PJ.

When did Codies know about this?

Well, for one thing it keeps the conspiracy theorists busy :P

Aha! By saying that, you've revealed your hidden agenda! Admit it! :P

I have a theory about conspiracy theorists... ;) But it's just a theory, so I'm not going to tell you what it is! :P

Three ... er, four ... then again ... you know, I'll just come in again ... :F

Thought you might... Bring on your soft cushions! I defy you!! :Y

Oh, you brash one! I'll bypass those and set you rightly in the Comfy Chair. That will teach you. >:)

You can't advertise a job as permanent if you know they're going to be laid off in 6 months.

It could be a bit tricksier than that. When I last looked, it was illegal to advertise a job as permanent if you know they're going to be laid off in 6 months.

If they didn't know, then that's fine. But if they did, and were hiring permanent staff anyway, they could be open for a massive legal smackdown.

Hmm... seems to me that it could be a case of the contract being up for renegotiation and that failed, either that or Turbine pulled a get out clause. 6 months is more than enough for a "plug pulling" clause on such a contract.

CM could employ people in all good faith believing that their contract is sound and renewable, even if it only had a few months left to run, or even knowing that the get-out clause was in place.

I am sorry to say that similar situations happen all the time. I know a friend who was made redundant less than one month after taking a permanent post, having left another job to take up the new one.

I don't see any point in getting all hett up about an issue we don't know the details of

I don't see any point in getting all hett up about an issue we don't know the details of

Yeah, but speculation and gossip is what forums are for... ;)

How shall we up our post count if we can only post known facts ;)

All this speculating actually makes sense. It helps me get a picture of possible and impossible scenarios. Or, as my good friend Sherlock had said:

When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Or, as my good friend Sherlock had said: When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Quite true. However, it's much easier to do that when we have all the information available to us.

Come on, nobody told Holmes right at the start: Look, the servant is the son of the wife of the dead, the dagger is hidden in the swamp and what looks like grass is Indian tea that the murderer brought from his time in the army.

You misunderstand me. I'm not speaking of an automatic revelation of facts. But, there is a part of the Codemasters-Turbine connection that neither is going to talk about officially and publicly. Thus, inside that is a set of impossibles that we can only guess at, much less eliminate. So, we are left with guesswork until light is shed by a Codemasters employee (or, more likely, a former one). It's pretty safe to say that Turbine will never reveal a thing.

It matters to the person(s) hired and fired. It would indeed be a breach of... something... law? ... to hire people with the knowledge that the contract would end before 6 months is up.

Bah..

we live in desperate times.

working is considered as a privilege than necessity or right nowdays.

It is so obvious that this is all Dnote's fault! -)

Count your lucky stars folks. I tested/play a game called LEGO Universe. There was this great forum site named LegoUni that just suddenly disappeared! >< Seems that the hosting company and LEGO had a disagreement. Instead of warning the posters that the site will be closing "due to current issues", they just closed it down...everything gone. Even the Moderators didn't know that was going to happen.

These forums are getting off to a great start. I expect all posters here will exceed the luster of the Codies LOTRO forums. And remember, you can still visit Codies after they archive the LOTRO forums.

TQQdles™,

Dolnor Numbwit

Eternal Newbie

Satine's Web Browser

"Hoping for the resurrection of Dragon Empires!"

Unfortunatly I've seen many Beta's and many sour launches. This free 2 Play delay was probably the signs that the once good relationship was going south and probably became a bit of a shock since Gamescom went so well as a joint venture (handing out goodies etc).

Before anyone asks I never did work for Codies (tho some keep asking me that question). But I did enjoy a good exchange of communications over event support, community issues as well meeting them on two occasions. I do firmly beleive what I wrote on the official forums that something 'changed' and WB wanted LOTRO as a 'whole' and reclawed its rights either by payoff or by 'minor threat'. CM wise I beleive they were 'limited' what they could do and there was some 'underlayin' issues especially for 'events' :).

Its never good in any instance to 'mess your customers around' and MyLOTRO is an example that I know the CM team poked a lot over it when it first launched but Turbine made it clearly a 'Turbine Only' and now the shift to full US stateside they can run EU at USA Laws which will mean hopefully cheaper options for all of us :). This of course may change if Turbine/WB find out they have to actually charge VAT now that they are providing a service to the EU (most MMO's charge you in local currency + VAT and host servers in the native area) but we shall see and Sap hasnt confirmed this yet (tho I did poke).