LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
thordsvin

Adding New Themes

Since everyone isn't playing lotro anymore why not add a SW:TOR theme to use with these forums? Ok, kidding aside, I would like to see more options than just 1 LotRO theme and the 2 IP.Board defaults.

Since everyone isn't playing lotro anymore why not add a SW:TOR theme to use with these forums? Ok, kidding aside, I would like to see more options than just 1 LotRO theme and the 2 IP.Board defaults.

we got themes?

we got themes?

Bottom of the page on the left. There is a dropdown box. The options are Lotro Community, IP.Board Mobile, and IP.Board.

lol...well...guess that tells ya how often i scroll all the way down.

thanks for pointing that out.

There is the small matter of the website's title.

;)

I agree. This is a LOTRO Community, not one that supports multiple games. I don't see a reason to muddle the waters with themes for games that aren't LOTRO.

So why not have more lotro themes? I would love a dwarven theme and I'm sure other would prefer other racial themes as well.

cant have a dorf theme...we dont want folks to get the wrong impression

Uh, old thread, but I wanted to suggest adding a dark colored theme of some kind to help my phone's battery life (OLED, light colors use more power). ;)

My understanding is that Muer wants to replace the board software with something better anyway.

Personally I think it would be cool to graphically represent both our LOTRO roots and the openness to new games.

Changing board software and converting the database sounds daunting... but can be a good thing. :D

"Lotro Diaspora" comes to mind as a theme.

Actually, I'm not planning to change the forum software. IPB is by far the best forum software I've used in 10+ years. I'm just waiting for them to release IPB 4.

• Upvote 1

Uh, old thread, but I wanted to suggest adding a dark colored theme of some kind to help my phone's battery life (OLED, light colors use more power). ;)

Have you tried using the setting, general, accessibility, reverse colors? UI looks weird but you get black with white text. I use this for apps that are too bright themed. Then I switch back after reading. Works ok for this forum.

Have you tried using the setting, general, accessibility, reverse colors? UI looks weird but you get black with white text. I use this for apps that are too bright themed. Then I switch back after reading. Works ok for this forum.

Android doesn't have a general setting for this, but apparently the built-in browser does. Guess that'll work...at least for this, as I still prefer Opera Mobile (which doesn't have night mode, bah)

Ah sorry, I thought you had said iPhone.

I think it is criminal that Apple redid the basic OS and made it a very bright theme with lots of white. So we all need to charge our phones 2x. I know it's not the ed of the world, but int he current energy/climate situation - why would you design a new theme which requires 200 times the energy of the old iPhone IOS. It's just stupid.

But then again, I always set my PC desktop backgrounds to pure black to conserve energy.

^--Actually, black/white energy efficiency is REVERSED for LCD technology (black actually uses more energy to present than white) compared to CRT, not to mention the underlying tech for LCD can be different. OLED phone screen tech behave differently than LCD/CRT as well, AFAIK.

But because our PCs are plugged in, for practical purposes, we don't notice (not to mention the power differences tend to be nominal---but course the numbers add up). But white on an OLED screen? Yeah, bad. :P

Hmmm.  It seems emitting high levels of light off a laptop screen would take more energy. And I swear that the battery drains much slower with a dark screen. Interesting ...

Are you sure a modern laptop screen takes more energy to not emit light?

That's just it, an LCD with a black background is still "lit." It IS emitting light even with a black background. The black efficiency made sense in old school CRTs though.

Here's an older article from Scientific American describing why:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-black-is/

Then a newer 2010 comparison table of LCDs and their power consumption black-vs-white:

http://techlogg.com/2010/05/black-vs-white-screen-power-consumption-24-more-monitors-tested/17

And for phone OLED displays, white backgrounds in anything are awful (my phone background is just black, and I try to change my app game backgrounds to black too):

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2009/08/this-september-oled-no-longer-three-to-five-years-away/

I don't know where capacitive touchscreens sit in all of this, though...

Excellent. Now I get it. It is brightness that reduces power consumption.

That's why turning down the brightness at 10% battery makes sense (to make the last 10% last longer). This makes your screen become darker (closer to black) - but if brightness is all the way up, black won't save power.

It still looks cool though. I love my solid black backgrounds. Yes, black is the new black.

Yup, all about the brightness setting...though my Windows tablet power settings have the exact same percent screen brightness for on/off-power cord, just 35%, but I still use light-colored backgrounds because I don't know if black on the tablet sucks more power. :P My mobile phone is usually at the darkest possible setting for all indoor activity; the only time I have to turn it up is when I'm outdoors.

Though I agree, dark backgrounds do look nice. :P Yay for my phone. As for my LCD at home, I have so many windows up with their classic white/light backgrounds that I don't see my desktop wallpaper very often, haha.

If you are that hyper about power consumption you should have a powermeter.

It will instantly tell you which setting takes less power.

Nah, maintaining a rule of thumb for LCD backgrounds is simple and free given existing generational data.

The off-topic was only broached because I'm ultimately talking about OLED screens anyway (dark forum theme). But the Android default browser has a color inverse setting, so that works...

The iPhone seriously need a way to set a black theme. Inverse colors make parts of the OS unusable (unreadable), even though reading some web sites/forums are better with the white on black text.  At night I switch to Inverse Colors so I can read this site on black with white text.

Darmokk, good idea about the power meter. Where do I plug it in to my laptop?

Just kidding.