LOTROCommunity
Iorionael

Riders of Rohan Expansion

It makes sense they give this possibility, because now everyone will use their skirmish soldier, so skirmishes are still a succes :P

I'd like to customise my soldier's armour a bit more, and I'd like him to attack my target rather than picking his own, but apart from that I think he does OK.

I don't know about letting soldiers loose in the main world though. It seems to me this will make all quests really easy!

It seems to me this will make all quests really easy!

I will take a guess that they will make quests harder in those areas that allow the skirmish soldier in the open world. Would be frustrating though for those that haven't put any skirmish marks into there soldier.

I should revisit my Captain so that I don't have to use one of those braindead semi-pets.

I will take a guess that they will make quests harder in those areas that allow the skirmish soldier in the open world. Would be frustrating though for those that haven't put any skirmish marks into there soldier.

Egad, that would mean more grind, as if there wasn't enough already.

Solo content in ROR harder if not using skirmish soldier. -> Must grind up skirmish soldier to be effective. -> New in the Lotro Store: Skirmish soldier, Only 1995 TP.

I hope this doesn't come to pass. I'm already concerned about mounted combat. meh...

Solo content in ROR harder if not using skirmish soldier. -> Must grind up skirmish soldier to be effective. -> New in the Lotro Store: Skirmish soldier, Only 1995 TP.

I hope this doesn't come to pass. I'm already concerned about mounted combat. meh...

It can't be quite that simple because LMs and Captains do not get to run around with the skirmish soldiers, so you can't just bump up difficulty without other changes that would make things manageable again for the old pet classes.

It can't be quite that simple because LMs and Captains do not get to run around with the skirmish soldiers, so you can't just bump up difficulty without other changes that would make things manageable again for the old pet classes.

*Waves to everyone* :)

My Main's an LM, and I'm hoping (assuming?!) that Skirmish Soldiers on the landscape will work the same way for LMs and Captains as they do in Skirmishes: our "real" Pet doesn't use the same combat mechanic/control mechanism as the Skirmish Soldier, so they're both summoned at the same time.

I can't speak for Captains, but as an LM who spends most of her time either Solo or Duo with a GDN, and who therefore relies heavily on being able to produce half-decent DPS, I know very well that if I stupidly manage to get my Pet killed in combat, I become about a third (or more!) less efficient, DPS-wise, than I am when fighting *with* my Pet. Since I've always Skirmished with both my Pet and my Soldier summoned, I can't see why this would work differently out on the landscape for LMs and/or Captains...?

After all, I'm sure that it's not just us LM/Captain players who realise how important our Pets are. The devs created the Pet-owning Classes, after all, and I'm sure they're not about to take away about a third or more of our DPS (and various other Skills, too, of course, depending on the Pet) when there seems to be no need.

Mind you, I guess that - unless Skirmish Soldiers are automatically dismissed in "populated" areas and/or indoors - we LMs will become even less popular under the new system than we are now, when a bunch of us are congregated together in - for example - the AH in Bree, barndoor-sized Pets and all...! * :D

( * Actually, thanks to the huge annoyance factor caused to other players when trying to reach an NPC around several giant Bears, and/or the noise nuisance from a gaggle of Ravens/Eagles, the only LM Pet I ever have summoned when I'm indoors is my silent and more-or-less invisible Lynx, if I've forgotten to dismiss her, or my quiet little Cosmetic Dog when I'm in "RP mode" - and she's so small you'd have to stare closely at the floor even to see her!)

Best,

Demelza of Lórien

Friend of the Wild and Lady of Streams

Turbine had better understand one thing: people are going to have expectations for the way that Rohan should look, based on the films if nothing else. Shoddy Enedwaith-"quality" scenery and dreadful skirmishers just will not cut it.

Just what will be the point of subscribing for quest content if skirmishes are mandatory for progress through Rohan? My friends who subscribed prior to Update 5 will not pay a dime for a game where the use of skirmishers is mandatory.

If skirmishers do become mandatory then it becomes very much in Turbine's interests to design content which requires a player to have a high level skirmisher of each type: more grind or more store.

I firmly believe that Turbine are out to devalue the landscape as much as possible: you can bet that the bean-counters would love to get rid of the expensive landscape in favour of cheapo skirmishes. Of course the game would then be a complete travesty as far as Tolkien is concerned.

I firmly believe that Turbine are out to devalue the landscape as much as possible: you can bet that the bean-counters would love to get rid of the expensive landscape in favour of cheapo skirmishes. Of course the game would then be a complete travesty as far as Tolkien is concerned.

Isn't it already ??

I think some people think it might stop at some point. It won't. As has been pointed out, once you start sliding down a slope at a high enough rate of descent, nothing will stop you except an abrupt collision. If the game is a bucket, and they've lately been shoveling shyte into it, and I think we can agree the bucket has been full of shyte for a while now, then the extra shyte is doing nothing more than adding further momentum to the rate of descent.

Destiny Points will get a revamp into a new currency! How does that sound for you? Yeah: shop friendly! One aspect VIPs won't have any longer for their own... another topic why u don't need a sub anymore...shop will rule it all!

Destiny Points will get a revamp into a new currency! How does that sound for you? Yeah: shop friendly! One aspect VIPs won't have any longer for their own... another topic why u don't need a sub anymore...shop will rule it all!

This is more of a problem for new players then old ones if they go through with the changes as stated in the Dev Diary. They are not taking away DP. They are just making it near impossible to get more if leveling will really be the only means of gaining DP. I'm kinda glad though that the devs aren't nearly as vaguely well spoken as Sapience and his crew or the marketing department.

Take a screen shot of all the DP perks you can buy now, I guarentee it will be much more limited come U6. Just another store intrusion into PvP and raiding, where most DP perks are used.

They already increased the prices prior to the store anyway, like they knew it was coming of something :) Of course they are going to keep removing any means that long term lifers have of avoiding buying perks. The whole goal is to get you to spend money, and keep spending. If they could, I'm sure they would end the lifer accounts if legally possible. Of course, the more they keep changing the game, the time may come when it no longer is the same game. If they do away with subs completely, that's probably the next move.

They already increased the prices prior to the store anyway, like they knew it was coming of something :) Of course they are going to keep removing any means that long term lifers have of avoiding buying perks. The whole goal is to get you to spend money, and keep spending. If they could, I'm sure they would end the lifer accounts if legally possible. Of course, the more they keep changing the game, the time may come when it no longer is the same game. If they do away with subs completely, that's probably the next move.

From the new Riders of Rohan dev diary....

With Riders of Rohan, we are ending the VIP option. All our previous lifer and VIP players will automatically be set to Premium.You will never have to pay a monthly sub again! The lotro store has received a massive revamp, allowing you to purchase all content you received for your monthly or lifetime sub for half the normal price. We look forward to our community becoming more closely knit than ever!

-O-