LOTROCommunity
Sign in to follow this  
cossieuk

Update 6: Commendations Developer Diary

First of the update 6 dev diaries, enjoy or dont

http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1776-update-6-commendations-developer-diary

Most players don't go to Turbine's LOTRO sites on a regular basis. If Turbine is only making the recommendation via this medium that people spend their banked destiny points now, there are going to be a lot of people who will miss that very important piece of information and end up asking, "Where in blazes are my DP?" Unless it's communicated better via all media that Turbine has, there may be a lot of unhappy creeps (I mean, more than usual.).

Creeps are always unhappy. It's a thing. A lot of folk are still not getting the concept that creep-play is just a temporary session-play break from the real game. Instead there are actually players who only Creep, and they therefore believe they should be as strong as heroes and have as much utility as Freeps. So as long as they keep ignoring that their side is purposely weaker because they're supposed to work in a horde-like battle group, then they will continue to complain that they're no good in "1v1s". Because one-on-one combat is obviously something Turbine has developed PvMP to be part as.

Anyway, this dev diary just confuses the hell out of me, just like the dev diary on why it was a good idea to take a baseball bat to the old mitigation and stat system. I still don't know what really happened. All I really know is that one day fire damage started to hurt a lot more than it did.

Don't think that change is mainly pointed @PvMP players as Ettens afaik was the best place to get destiny. It's rather to limit ways You can get Your destiny points as VIP to spend on free buffs, me thinks. But then I never really took a close look what gives more DP PvE or PvMP.

PvMP was always one of the easiest ways to gain Destiny Points. The cynic in me says that this change is to make DPs harder to get so less people use DP buffs in raids and instead use Turbine Points in the store.

However I do like that Commendations are rewarded for player kills, in a PvP environment that just makes sense and I'm suprised its taken this long.

wait. Destiny Points are going to be washed away?

No more DP on each Level-Up after Level 10?

Do I have to PvMP to get Bonus-XP/+Runspeed/Dread-Removal for my Alts?

-.-

wait. Destiny Points are going to be washed away?

No more DP on each Level-Up after Level 10?

Do I have to PvMP to get Bonus-XP/+Runspeed/Dread-Removal for my Alts?

-.-

No, you won't be able to get DP from PvMP at all. The only place you can get DP now is from levelling.

They are planning on eventually removing DP altogether.

Another kick in the you know what for VIPs

I'll make one last clarification post as it seems some are still passing along information that is simply false.

After the launch of Update 6, the following will be true about Destiny Points (DP):

All Destiny Points earned up to the moment Update 6 is live will be retained on your account. You will lose nothing, not a single point.

Destiny Points can only be acquired on Freep side and only via leveling. This will still carry across so you can spend DP earned by a Freep on your Creep character.

Destiny points can be spent by Creeps or Freep on perks only.

Commendations will be the new Ettenmoors currency going forward. It will be account based so you can earn it on either side and spend it on either side. You will not be able to use Commendations to purchase Perks.

Until Update 6 you can earn as much destiny as you wish, through existing means, and you will retain all of it.

Beyond Update six we will continue to phase Destiny acquisition out of the game and introduce new ways to acquire existing perks through game play.

So anyone suggesting you are losing your accrued DP or that you will not be able to spend it, or that perks will be store only not giving you accurate information.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=6002542#post6002542

Of course, it was only a matter of time. Destiny point perks are in direct competition to the store, they were never going to allow that for long!

From what I read in that statement, DP are going to be removed from the game. No more having a way to avoid using the store for death buff removal.

And they had the nuts to state otherwise in the same statement. As for game acquired perks, those are likely going to made as available as dropped stat tomes and other game items that are 'not store only' simply due to being available on a less than 1 percent drop rate. And probably only from group play too.

They are removing anything a sub grants, and at some future date, people can continue to pay for a sub, but it will give nothing for it. Last I checked, non subs don't get DP anyway. They are simply slowly converting sub accounts into ftp accounts. Then they can proudly stand back and state that the game no longer has a sub model, and drop lifers and subs entirely, getting out of their lifetime agreements because it has no bearing anymore. That's why I think the game is having VIP perks pulled slowly away. If they did it all at once, it would be very noticeable and they'd have no way to defend it as an obvious attempt to negate legal agreements. But if people keep clicking agree on the EULA, they'll state you agreed to those changes yourself.

Like I said before, it was only a matter of time they made one living system redundant and put in place a replacement that makes you go to the store. Everyone likes Destiny Points--whether it's PvE or PvMP. I know I've used the xp acceleration buff a few times myself on multiple characters. And long-time PvMP players are sitting on hundreds of thousands of points (meaning they could probably buy buffs every other hour and wouldn't run out for a year or so). So yeah, of course they are getting rid of something that is stopping them from making as much money as possible.