LOTROCommunity
thordsvin

Guild Wars 2 Beta

As the thread has gone from a 'what do you think' discussion to a 'how to play' discussion I believe we're done here. I'm pretty sure GW2 has their own forums for discussing gameplay of GW2.

So they closed a thread in the Off-topic forum, because they couldn't move it since it was in the proper location. Also for Sapience, and anyone else for that matter who doesn't know, The GW2 forums will closing Soon (I think today but correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yes, today. In about twenty minutes if I've got my timezones right.

Hmmm...

I just got a hilarious idea, thanks to the GW2 forums' very strange profanity filter (for some reason it replaces offensive words with "kitten")

:D

So they closed a thread in the Off-topic forum, because they couldn't move it since it was in the proper location. Also for Sapience, and anyone else for that matter who doesn't know, The GW2 forums will closing Soon™ (I think today but correct me if I'm wrong.)

Perhaps he is biding his time, while polishing his resumé for (near) future use.

If it looks like a duck and walks and talks like one ...

But, there is always the possibility that we could be completely off base in our perceptions and efforts. Why, Ricky himself said so:

rickyworldburn.jpg

I just got a hilarious idea, thanks to the GW2 forums' very strange profanity filter (for some reason it replaces offensive words with "kitten")

Even "damned" gets the kitty treatment! :F

Even "damned" gets the kitty treatment! :F

iwastiredp1.gif

Got something against kitties, bub? Got my eye on you ...

:D

The ad blocker I use on Google Chrome has an option to put pictures of cats in place of the ads if you want

The ad blocker I use on Google Chrome has an option to put pictures of cats in place of the ads if you want

Really. I use Chrome myself, I'll have to look into that.

:)

Really. I use Chrome myself, I'll have to look into that.

:)

Seems it was originally an April Fool and only ran for a few days, but it was very popular. Now if you want it you have to take a monthly subscription

So.. you're /paying/ for not seeing ads?

*snorts*

Only if you want to see cats instead. I dont pay so I dont see anything where the ads are

rickyworldburn.jpg

He makes that sound like a bad thing. Such negativity from him these days :P

Cats instead of ads, this is an idea I like. If only we could do the same with TV....

Hmm. I was just visiting over at the WoW forums (don't play the game so I can't post), and there's a good-sized thread going about GW2.

Blizzard, at least, does not seem to feel threatened.

;)

Same over at the Rift forums, has been going for a good while now. Trion don't seem to have any problem either. There's at least 3 threads on GW2 there, including tactics discussion. It Doesn't suprise me, they've always showed a lot of respect for the customer. I'll happily give my money to Trion again at some point in the future.

Speaking of BWEs, I ran into interesting character named EngineKid. I didn't bother talking to him, (so I can't be sure if it was the same guy from the official lotro forums) but I'm wondering if anyone ran into anyone they recognized while playing Guild Wars 2.

Hmm. I was just visiting over at the WoW forums (don't play the game so I can't post), and there's a good-sized thread going about GW2.

Blizzard, at least, does not seem to feel threatened.

;)

Same over at the Rift forums, has been going for a good while now. Trion don't seem to have any problem either. There's at least 3 threads on GW2 there, including tactics discussion. It Doesn't suprise me, they've always showed a lot of respect for the customer. I'll happily give my money to Trion again at some point in the future.

That's because neither game has anything to fear from GW2. WoW is still quite huge, and they know the only game that will derail WoW is indeed WoW itself. Trion, for their part, knows Rift is the undisputed king of providing quality updates on a frequent, consistent basis. Every six weeks or so we get an update that often are larger than some expansions for other games. Guild Wars 2 isn't a game-killer, it's a game-changer in the industry, and will be successful because it is so different from the norm.

Frankly, Turbine shouldn't be afraid of GW2 at all, as they have no control over it. GW2 will pull players from every game, as they look for something different in an MMO. Some will stay, some will go back to their old games, especially those players who aren't into PvP content. LOTRO would clearly lose many of their PvP-focused fans, but at the same time I think we know that the PvP community in LOTRO is pretty small, so not a huge loss there for Turbine. If anything, were RoR to be a good deal, LOTRO would have been well-positioned to pull back a lot of players who try out GW2 and end up not liking it.

Alas...

There is a reason why other companies should fear Guild Wars 2: maintance and patches. Guild Wars 1 has be down for about 35 hours total in it lifespan. ArenaNet does NOT have to take their servers down for patches. This awesome technology made it's way into BWE2 this past weekend and I don't think the servers were ever down this weekend. Though, I did have log out to a few brief seconds for my client to patch. Considering that all of players atleast try other MMOs and they usually demand the best features to be added their favorite game, it's going to be a tall order for any company to switch to this sort maintenance cycle. I'm sure some of them won't even be able to understand how this is possible.

I could never get on very well with GW1, always seemed a bit clunky and awkward for me. GW2 is a completely different matter. I really enjoyed that last beta weekend they did. It's actually so different to GW1 that they could justifiably have given it a completely different name.

An MMO with no kill stealing (everybody who gets involved gets full credit), no stealing of nodes (they only despawn for people who have used them), and something I'm not used to - a game where your actions affect what happens next in the area you're in (for a while anyway). Fail to prevent mobs taking over something and it has consequences.

It's looking like it's going to be fun...for me anyway...

I actually was never that interested in playing this however the more I see and read about the more interested I become. Has there been any indication of a release date yet?

I actually was never that interested in playing this however the more I see and read about the more interested I become. Has there been any indication of a release date yet?

Not yet.

Most common guess is another one or two BWE's before release, which would imply a release date of early Aug-mid Sep, but no-one is doing more than guessing. Anet are, rightly, keeping their cards very close to their chest. I think when they release the Asura & Sylvari into a BWE, presuming they do so, it'll be the penultimate or final one, probably.

LOTRO's PvP community may be small, but at least on my server, their presence in the turbine store is huge, and thats where GW2 will hurt turbine, where they'll feel it the most, in their bottomline.

Why aren't the Asuras and Sylvaris available in beta? I sure hope they aren't races you have to buy, that would put a damper on the whole game.