LOTROCommunity

Guild Wars 2 Beta

thordsvin

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Don't buy 3. Everyone just wants the game. We've got 3 days headstart, after all... ;)

Well, everyone wanted Rift, too, and it had 8 beta events... even though the game was pretty solid (like GW2) after two. I know we all want the game, but ArenaNet wants to have a game that isn't torpedoed right out of the gate because of a shoddy launch.

Players: WE WANT THE GAME! LAUNCH GW2 NOW!

ArenaNet: C'mon guys, be patient. We'll have it out soon.

Players: WE WANT IT NOW! WE WANT IT NOW! WE WANT IT NOW!

ArenaNet: Okay, we could have done more than 2 beta events to make sure it is ready, but we'll launch it instead.

*Launch has server issues and unforeseen bugs*

Players: LAUNCH SUCKS! GW2 SUCKS! ARENANET, YOU SUCK TOO! Y U NO HAV MOAR BETA WEEKENDS, ARENANET?

ArenaNet: /facepalm

... and that's why I think ANet will be cautious and have one or perhaps even more beta weekends, and launch in July or maybe even August. July is more likely in my opinion, but to completely frank, if they waited until September even, with monthly beta weekends going on for testing purposes during the summer, I would not be surprised.

Well, everyone wanted Rift, too, and it had 8 beta events... even though the game was pretty solid (like GW2) after two. I know we all want the game, but ArenaNet wants to have a game that isn't torpedoed right out of the gate because of a shoddy launch.

Players: WE WANT THE GAME! LAUNCH GW2 NOW!

ArenaNet: C'mon guys, be patient. We'll have it out soon.

Players: WE WANT IT NOW! WE WANT IT NOW! WE WANT IT NOW!

ArenaNet: Okay, we could have done more than 2 beta events to make sure it is ready, but we'll launch it instead.

*Launch has server issues and unforeseen bugs*

Players: LAUNCH SUCKS! GW2 SUCKS! ARENANET, YOU SUCK TOO! Y U NO HAV MOAR BETA WEEKENDS, ARENANET?

ArenaNet: /facepalm

... and that's why I think ANet will be cautious and have one or perhaps even more beta weekends, and launch in July or maybe even August. July is more likely in my opinion, but to completely frank, if they waited until September even, with monthly beta weekends going on for testing purposes during the summer, I would not be surprised.

I hope so. The more I look at the half-finished mess that is the Diablo III storyline, the more I'm convinced the devs were being pressured to get the game out---NAOW!!!

I trust ArenaNet is also observing and learning from that.

;)

Well, everyone wanted Rift, too, and it had 8 beta events... etc...

Whilst all that is perfectly true, it's not really got anything to do with what I said. I think Anet have already demonstrated that they've no intention of releasing it until they think it's ready. Equally, though, I simply don't believe they would be influenced by the notion that people will feel cheated by having had "only" however many BWEs they run. Hence, I simply don't buy into your 3. above. When it's ready, it will be released, simple as that; 2 BWEs or 20, it won't make any difference to them.

NCSoft indicated in their last earnings call that the date has slipped that was originally intended but not by much. By their earnings guidance on GW2, it looks pretty solid for a Q3 release. Whether that means July or September who knows, but given that they are keeping current characters so they hope people get to the L35 dungeon for testing, I think it is much closer than people think.

As for the number of BWEs, nothing in pricing indicated the BWEs were part of the purchase - just that you would be given access to them. Besides, the three day headstart is what most are looking for.

I follow the game among multiple forums daily and don't think, if they managed to only have two BWEs, it will be an issue at all. Most people would rather invest their time in characters that won't be wiped rather than keep playing for character that will. In addition, I think people would rather be able to log on at any time rather than continue to wait until another BWE is launched.

While I think of it, is there any word on whether anything / what has been added to the next one?

ArenaNet's recent blog post indicated what they corrected and also that they would have another blog detailing more. Personally I think some of the suggestions for new systems that came from last beta (such as tutorial areas) will most likely end up as patch content after launch, whereas suggestions for currently finished content (such as fine tuning melee and dynamic event scaling) is more what will make it for launch.

Besides, the three day headstart is what most are looking for.

I follow the game among multiple forums daily and don't think, if they managed to only have two BWEs, it will be an issue at all. Most people would rather invest their time in characters that won't be wiped rather than keep playing for character that will. In addition, I think people would rather be able to log on at any time rather than continue to wait until another BWE is launched.

'Zackly! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

So did any of you get a chance to test drive the game this weekend? My charr warrior was indeed still there, but I made a human thief (echoes of my hobbit burglar!) just to see what that profession is like. Of course, as is my wont, I spent a lot of time running around exploring and taking screenies:

Atopawaterpipe.jpg?t=1339419720

That's the human city of Divinity's Reach in the background. An old gaming friend (he and I still play GW1 together) timed himself exploring the city and says it takes around 45 minutes to completely get around it. Compare that to...well, Bree.

So I have no doubts that my pre-purchase of GW2 is money well spent. Diablo III is fun and all, but I know where I'll be spending my gaming hours in the future. Most of them, anyway.

;)

I did. Was great fun again. WvWvW is the bomb.

My only concern (and it's still a big one) is that the store will end up going down the same path as the Turbine Store. The contents of those mystic chests are particularly distressing for a 'no advantage' type of guy like me.

I did. Was great fun again. WvWvW is the bomb.

Heh, we had a guy running around the major population centers claiming to be a dev and that everyone should go to the Mists. I asked Martin Kerstein about it and he replied, "I very much doubt it."

My only concern (and it's still a big one) is that the store will end up going down the same path as the Turbine Store. The contents of those mystic chests are particularly distressing for a 'no advantage' type of guy like me.

Didn't see any of those chests, but I had to work part of the weekend so my girl never got beyond level 8 or so. Turbine's got its Store, D3 has the auction house, and GW2 will have its store as well. I guess these things are just part of the landscape.

:F

Curiously enough, I found myself unmotivated to play much in this BWE. It caught my alliance on the hop, and as a consequence, I was playing more or less alone. The GW2 beta is very co-operative; no-one hesitates to help you out, be that dps, revival, or whatever; but it's not social; hardly anyone talks; and I found myself missing that side of things. I think I spent as much time on the beta forum as in-game!

Curiously enough, I found myself unmotivated to play much in this BWE. It caught my alliance on the hop, and as a consequence, I was playing more or less alone. The GW2 beta is very co-operative; no-one hesitates to help you out, be that dps, revival, or whatever; but it's not social; hardly anyone talks; and I found myself missing that side of things. I think I spent as much time on the beta forum as in-game!

Really? Huh. I find the folks on my server to be rather social overall. When we weren't talking in Map chat, I had folks chatting in Say during public events. While most people didn't chat in Say, there was some of that going on, and it was nice to see. If we'd actually grouped up for that event, I bet most of us would have been chatting while killing Centaurs.

Good times. BTW, this was on the Ehmry Bay shard.

Here's a picture of my Asuran Mesmer. He only looks like a human because his illusions are just that good.

ZvMVv.jpg

I completed Ascalon Catacombs in story mode and it seems the trash mobs are tougher than the bosses. I also found a nice mini-dungeon in Gendarran fields but didn't get a group to go with me. That was my only regret.

My tribe and I thoroughly enjoyed BWE2. We were outnumbered 10-1 all 3 days, but still had a blast PvPing. I played every class save Ranger and enjoyed all of them to varying extents. I looked at the store, nothing in there looks even remotely like pay to win.

The only issues that I see is that we had to purchase the ability, with in-game gold, to group more than 5, and then it said we were all grouped, but it looked as if we weren't. That could be a problem in WvWvW.

Why level 80? It will take forever to cap a toon, not that thats neccessarially a bad thing, but 80? Whats wrong with 50?

Based on what ANet sells in their in-game store in Guild Wars 1, I don't think we have anything to worry about with GW2's store. Unless you think fluff is game-breaking advantage, that is.

'Strength' boost from one of the mystic chests. +10% damage boost for 1 hour usable anywhere (including WvWvW) other than structured PvP battlegrounds. There are also 'Armor' boosts reducing damage by 10% for 1 hour and 'speed' boosts increasing running speed by 10%. I personally got one of the strength boost items from a chest.

Me no likey. Reminds me too much of another store.