LOTROCommunity

Moving on and enjoying LoTRO

I agree that Turbine have heavy handed moderation but I don't believe that is ever going to change so why bother mentioning every single new post that is removed or locked as if it was a new thing?

I am sure that Turbine have gone back on many claims including the store not being an advantage but you can still play the game totally ignoring the store and never ever purchase a thing or for very casual players like me, things like deed accelerator items are a God send.

When this forum first opened it was carrying on with the same sort of posts as the late great Codies forum and I loved it but now it seems to bitter swipes at Turbine repeating points from my first two points over and over, some by people who don't play the game and have no intention of playing.

I know we will never know but I believe that free to play is greatly enhancing our chances of getting to Mordor as if it was still sub based with so many other games going F2P I think it may of closed a lot sooner.

I hope you have a good day,

PJ

• Upvote 1

I am sure that Turbine have gone back on many claims including the store not being an advantage but you can still play the game totally ignoring the store and never ever purchase a thing or for very casual players like me, things like deed accelerator items are a God send.

Of course you can still play the game and totally ignore the store, but to do so you also have to ignore increasingly large portions of the game itself. Which many of us feel defeats the purpose of the game in the first place.

We could just ignore it all, as you say. We just won't, because we're not prepared to bury our heads in the sand and forget our rights and Turbine's offences for the sake of what is, when you get down to brass tacks, a hobby. Because we're a little more discerning and less apathetic than you're asking us to be. Many of us would rather live in the harsh light of day than in denial.

That's just the way it is. If you disagree then I'm sorry that you do, but will ask you to respect our point of view, thank you very much.

Oh, and this forum is still full of the same sort of posts you used to find on the Codies forum. It's also got the other stuff too, because we're multifaceted like that. It also welcomes contributions from players, non-players and former players alike, because we don't ascribe to the notion that when you stop playing something you surrender the right to have opinions about it.

Your post perpetuates two myths - the first is that going F2P "saved" LOTRO. The truth is, as ever, rather more complicated than that. The second is that this forum is purely for people to show up and bitch about Turbine. It only seems that way because other, more 'official' means for the community to discuss those matters are arbitrarily purged of dissenting voices, making this a main hub for people to chime in with criticism without fear of reprisal or censorship. We consider this one of the forum's strengths, not one of its weaknesses.

Quite a few of us are still enjoying the game and even using the store to a degree...as I've said before, I haven't seen anyone complain about increased storage space or cosmetic fluff. Some of us even get along quite well with the Turbine CM's (that goes back to the Agatha Christie quote I've mentioned before, I really must track down which book that came from) and have no qualms about complaining when things go wrong. Like yesterday, for example.

Does it crasshh, preciousss?

And I just now noticed that I made a spelling error in that thread title. Not that it matters, it's one of at least three on the same subject that have been posted today, I guess they'll all be "consolidated" soon. ;)

My point is, I doubt many of us are bitter. Sad? Yes. But unless there's a radical change in the approach to the game, nothing's going to change much. I plan to still enjoy the game, enjoy the forum community and by extension this one...which, ironically, I might not ever have found if not for Forumgate.

It's Turbine's own fault that I'm here.

:D

I agree that Turbine have heavy handed moderation but I don't believe that is ever going to change so why bother mentioning every single new post that is removed or locked as if it was a new thing?

Simple. Because the information on the unscrupulous things they are up to won't be available on the official site. Also, this site provides various examples of fraud, abuse and dishonesty on Turbine's part (with pictures), which players may cite toward certain off-internet pursuits.

Quite a few of us are still enjoying the game and even using the store to a degree...as I've said before, I haven't seen anyone complain about increased storage space or cosmetic fluff. ...

.I plan to still enjoy the game, enjoy the forum community and by extension this one....

:D

I'm with you on all that. Be aware, though, that not everyone in this forum actually plays LOTRO: the most popular occupation here is criticising it. I've even seen someone express frustration that more players aren't leaving. Notice that there aren't any threads about how good the new area is yet!

I'm with you on all that. Be aware, though, that not everyone in this forum actually plays LOTRO: the most popular occupation here is criticising it. I've even seen someone express frustration that more players aren't leaving. Notice that there aren't any threads about how good the new area is yet!

In my case that would be because I haven't seen it yet. Between updating, crashing, lagging, crashing, catch-up crafting, crashing, playing musical characters to get everybody's skirmish marks added to the pool, crashing, getting back to Grimbold's camp, crashing...

(I think I see a pattern emerging here)

...getting sucked into the worst Pink Floyd video ever, then crashing again...

Well, by that time both my time and my patience had run out. I left Miss Ghraye parked at Grimbold's Camp, I'll pick it up again after work.

;)

I've been too busy grinding commendations to buy my new rank 4, 5, and 7 skills on my rank 11 Spider to go to the new area. Thank you for not grandfathering me in turbine. The funny thing is, I would most likely use my TP to buy these skills, but they aren't available in the store. Way to miss a sale, noobs.

I agree, for very casual players, you can easily ignore the advantages that are now sold on the store. For those who aren't so casual with regards to PvMP and raiding (particularly with the phasing out of destiny), then it becomes an issue.

I think the biggest issue is the underhanded way Turbine went about stacking the store with more and more advantage. For me, it was in the following thread where the advantage inherent in the store only -5% incoming damage scroll was made clear, to which it was pulled from the store with Sap saying:

There are a number of issues with this item as noted in this thread. As a result, we've removed it from the LOTRO Store.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Only to have it stealthed back in to the store in a patch 2 months later with nary a word.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?396585-5-Incoming-Damage-buff-only-available-through-store&p=5400154#post5400154

It's these kinds of practices which turned me off Turbine and LOTRO. If they'd been up front about the store and the way the game was going to go with the introduction of F2P, I would have been far less annoyed. As it is, I don't particularly wish Turbine and the game any ill will, and for casuals I think it's still ok, however I take issue to people saying that the store doesn't detract from the experience of people who may want to raid or PvMP or even challenge mode instances, as in my opinion that's simply not the case.

I do agree with the OP this forum is focused too much in criticising Turbine's moderation.

Although their behaviour on forums is indeed outrageous the fact is that this forum focuses primarily on bashing Turbine moderation and that makes it problematic.

It is quite clear that truth and free speech is under persecution there so what I want to see here is an alternative of the official forum or even better, the best not official Lotro forum.

Not to discuss why something was moderated but continue subject from where turbine/wb silenced it.

I do agree with the OP this forum is focused too much in criticising Turbine's moderation.

Although their behaviour on forums is indeed outrageous the fact is that this forum focuses primarily on bashing Turbine moderation and that makes it problematic.

It is quite clear that truth and free speech is under persecution there so what I want to see here is an alternative of the official forum or even better, the best not official Lotro forum.

Not to discuss why something was moderated but continue subject from where turbine/wb silenced it.

That's actually quite a good idea. Just make a thread with the same title as the locked one and continue the conversation.

I can agree with this, especially the last point, but I do think Turbine brought this on themselves. If Turbine weren't continually shocking the sensibilities of the community with their blatant avarice and disdain for their customers, then this community would be discussing LOTRO itself much more than we would be Turbine.

Until their CMs stop actively censoring the criticism on their forums, then you'll continue to see the majority of criticism on this forum. This is a safe haven to say what you really feel about Turbine without fear of your post being disappeared by the Gestapo.

Last night people were discussing about how the new zone wasn't all that big. All I said was, "Yeah, it would be nice if Turbine went back to making a zone like Bree-land." Here's how that conversation went.

Them: "Oh, you mean it should have a bunch of useless space where there's no content?"

Me: "Better to make believe the area has plenty of room to explore than make it really obvious you're questing in a shoe box."

Them: "Well, they don't have the resources like they did when they made Bree-land."

Me: "They keep saying they're doing better than ever before and they are releasing content in half the time it used to take to push out a bug fix patch."

Them: "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP AND ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE?"

As long as the mob mentality is still there, I'm going to keep coming here to unload my criticism.

I can agree with this, especially the last point, but I do think Turbine brought this on themselves. If Turbine weren't continually shocking the sensibilities of the community with their blatant avarice and disdain for their customers, then this community would be discussing LOTRO itself much more than we would be Turbine.

If is wasn't for the way turbine moderates their forums most of us wouldn't have found these forums. :)

Until their CMs stop actively censoring the criticism on their forums, then you'll continue to see the majority of criticism on this forum. This is a safe haven to say what you really feel about Turbine without fear of your post being disappeared by the Gestapo.

Last night people were discussing about how the new zone wasn't all that big. All I said was, "Yeah, it would be nice if Turbine went back to making a zone like Bree-land." Here's how that conversation went.

Them: "Oh, you mean it should have a bunch of useless space where there's no content?"

Me: "Better to make believe the area has plenty of room to explore than make it really obvious you're questing in a shoe box."

Them: "Well, they don't have the resources like they did when they made Bree-land."

Me: "They keep saying they're doing better than ever before and they are releasing content in half the time it used to take to push out a bug fix patch."

Them: "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP AND ENJOY WHAT YOU HAVE?"

As long as the mob mentality is still there, I'm going to keep coming here to unload my criticism.

I have discussions with "THEM" all the time on my server. It usually turns into "go away troll if you hate the game so much" Nothing could be further from the truth. Not to bring politics into these forums, but you can make the analogy of the fact that if you disagree with what your government is doing on your behalf and speak up about it, there are some that will call you unpatriotic. When in fact disent is the highest form of patriotism.

I bet that those that think Breeland is a vast wasteland don't even know about the freeze tag area, or Nen Harn, or the fortress in Lonelands with the high level sigs. I really do miss the vastness of the old zones and I'm not really that much of an explorer.

I actually liked Nen Harn. I spent ages just wandering around it, enjoying the lack of players but nice scenery. Also my favourite route into North Downs from Bree-land. A deviation but a suitable one.

I love everything about the openness of Bree-land. I remember when people COMPLAINED that they added the maze because it seemed to "mar" an otherwise untouched location. There also used to be random sigs and elites that would roam the land--back when recipes needed Grimbark's testicles or things like that (I remember an elite Huorn roaming around the Brandy Hills). I also remember when they took those half-orc encampments in the Lone-Lands and flipped them for LV55 content. I had spent two weeks earlier before that change on a low-level scholar gathering nodes there (they're the best location for that level of scholar mats). Most of all I love the fortress Ost Barandor (not to be confused with Ost Baranor). It's just a ruined fort overlooking all of Bree-land, the Old Forest, and even some of the Shire. Plus, right around the corner from it is Stenmarr Lake.

The openness of Bree-land is what made the horse quest fun in the first place. Okay, maybe the horse quest wasn't fun, but it at least made it less of a pain if on your journey through it you were coming across beautiful scenery.

I think it's a difference between riding in your own cab, and riding the subway. You get to the same location, but it's a LOT more comfortable taking the cab, even if it IS more expensive. You are also a lot more relaxed and happy during and after the trip, so you can actually have fun when you arrive, rather than complaining about panhandlers and the idiot gangbangers acting like aholes, and all the pushing and shoving and waiting your turn to get on and off (all the problems that come with increased bodies in a f2p game). That is pretty much the main difference between a f2p game and a sub game. A f2p game is a subway ride. It's cheap, but you may not enjoy the trip much on any given day. I much prefer the cab (sub) ride. You know you are going to get a good service for the most part. At the least, you get where you want to go with minimum fuss, and there are no hidden costs, like a mugging, to deal with.